Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm 99.99% sure OP is wrong about that conclusion but there's been a whole bunch of people complaining that Disney got too woke in the last few years.

Yeah OP was reaching but this video is a pro click since these people do exist

https://youtu.be/noLsc8So_j0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Walrus posted:

i really wish the title post was always linked in the op. i always get curious but never can find the post and dont wanna ask every time .

I’ve admittedly been quite lazy about it, as I mostly spend time on mobile, so yeah. I gotta get better about it. If anyone finds it, let me know and I’ll edit the OP

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xakura posted:

Search on reddit

no

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

thunderspanks posted:

oh, also, about towel guy- this wonderful exchange happened and I'm sure you can deduce how the rest of the comment chain went down:

Yeah, anyone who is like "iT's jUsT a tOweL" needs to go watch the documentary "Good Hair", like, pronto.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

teen witch posted:

I’ve admittedly been quite lazy about it, as I mostly spend time on mobile, so yeah. I gotta get better about it. If anyone finds it, let me know and I’ll edit the OP

Invisible Clergy posted:

OP specifies this is not at play and it is in fact an orange.

AITA for blowing up at my grandma?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

teen witch posted:

pentyne posted:

Less talking more poly cheese bags

I hope everybody in the comments finds Jesus

I understand that is tied to a deeply traumatic event, however I

I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The poly cheese bags story always brightens my day

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm 99.99% sure OP is wrong about that conclusion but there's been a whole bunch of people complaining that Disney got too woke in the last few years.

Which is hilarious because Gay Day has been going on at Disney parks for thirty years and they still don't call it that or really acknowledge it at all. They make sure to fill the shops with rainbow merchandise though.

And yeah, I put that Fastpass episode of Defunctland on while working and ended up being glued to it, especially when the twist came along. Definitely recommend the channel.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Fastpast video was great, but the GWAR-Lite Cantina Band that played a song called Jailbait is GOAT Defunctland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0rDLvg-Lfs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah on a re-read it's clear it's just referring to his family's Disney obsession, but that phrasing set off an unwarranted red flag alert. My b.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling the kids their dad took this year's Christmas away from them?

lol at the gas station getting upset a worker isn't passionate about upselling candy bars and getting screamed at by a guy trying to buy beer for actually checking ID.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

husband obviously sucks but I gotta wonder what "disney indoctrination" is supposed to mean, because I have a hard time parsing it as anything other than not wanting her kid to learn that minorities are people

getting the kids all worked up about monarchy.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah on a re-read it's clear it's just referring to his family's Disney obsession, but that phrasing set off an unwarranted red flag alert. My b.

Whoa whoa whoa, thats not how we do things here. Any unreasonable conclusion you jump to, you gotta double down, dig a trench, and pull up the artillery for a good old fashioned flame war.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lol at the gas station getting upset a worker isn't passionate about upselling candy bars and getting screamed at by a guy trying to buy beer for actually checking ID.

I imagine he was canned for not doing his job at all and this is the heroic story he's cooked up to tell his wife so it's not his fault.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

husband obviously sucks but I gotta wonder what "disney indoctrination" is supposed to mean, because I have a hard time parsing it as anything other than not wanting her kid to learn that minorities are people

Think she just means she doesn't want her son to grow up to be a disney-obsessed lunatic like his dad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for accusing my daughter's mother of making me a deadbeat?

quote:

So, I (44 M) am fairly well off. I'm high up in the company where I work and money's no problem for my wife (33 F) and our two kids. When I was 17, I wasn't the type of person that you'd want to be a father. My own father was a terrifying presence. I almost flunked high school. My high school girlfriend Sofia left me after I got held by the cops one night and in a double whammy, she moved to Scotland with her dad for university in Edinburgh.

Sofia was pregnant and never told me. She never kept in touch I wasn't looking her up in Scotland. I feel like I had a right to know. Ironically, her leaving made me get my life together and I did very well in university. Sometime when we were 18, she gave birth to my daughter Inessa.

Well, Inessa knew who I was and so she decided to contact me, telling me I was her father.

Sofia and Inessa had moved back to the country (different city) and I flew out to meet her. I saw a picture of her after she contacted me, she looks just like my mother (so no need for a DNA test). I avoided seeing her mom and I spent all the time I could with her, getting to know her and learning all that I'd missed. Here's the kicker, I gave my kids the best life possible but she struggled her entire life. After Sofia's dad died, they had a bad time in Scotland and even briefly moved with her mom to Russia. They're doing good now, because my Inessa's got a great job in the same field I started out in.

It made me mad. I could've provided for her. She could've gone to the fancy schools that my kids go to. She could've gotten new shoes, clothes, games every birthday and Christmas. She didn't even have her father to teach her how to drive. I didn't even pay child support. It makes me upset I didn't do right by her.

When I met her mom again, it was tense. I laid out everything I wrote in a calm manner and my daughter made me leave as her mother was going to cry. I met Inessa the day after when I left and we've talked every night since but we haven't brought that up.

My wife told me I was an rear end in a top hat to tell her mother that and demanded I apologize, but I couldn't help but feeling like I wasn't wrong. However, a few days ago, my wife told me she's pregnant and she talked to me about the situation in terms of what if I passed before my child was born and since then I've felt like a major rear end in a top hat because Sofia did a much better job with Inessa than other single parents I knew like my own father.

Update: AITA for accusing my daughter's mother of making me a deadbeat?

quote:

I figured that I’d post an update since I’ve met with my daughter Inessa and her mother Sofia again. I went to the city that Inessa lives in for a business trip and she agreed to meet me. I went to Sofia’s home and took the time to talk to Sofia while Inessa was changing. I did what most of you (and my wife) recommend and apologized to Sofia. I told her I was hurt I couldn’t be there for her and Inessa but that she did an incredible job, better than I would have been able to do before I got my life on track and I admire how much stronger than me she is for doing it all despite all she faced. This brought tears to her again but thankfully she hugged me and forgave me.

She then apologized to me for not telling me when I was older but told me it was that at first she was afraid of my father and later on she didn’t want to disrupt my life. I told her it didn’t matter and all that matters is Inessa and her happiness.

When I went to dinner with Inessa, I gave her an old photograph of my mother as a gift and she thought it was some old timey photo of herself at first because they look so similar. I told her about my own terrible father and why it hurt me so much that I didn’t get to be there for her because I had this notion that it’s a father’s duty to always help his child, guide them, teach them and love them and they’re a failure if they weren’t. I told her I was sorry I made her mother cry but know now she was a better mother and father to her than I could have been at that time. She also forgave me and when she called me dad (she’d just been saying father before – which was still adorable cause of her mix of a Russian and Scottish accent) for the first time as she hugged me it was the best feeling in the world.

Although I’d booked a hotel for the night, Inessa insisted I stay with her and Sofia. We wound up staying up for hours watching old home movies of Inessa as a kid (which she converted into digital from tape somehow) and even though I couldn’t be there for any of that, I do feel better about it. Before I left, I promised Inessa that I’d always be there for her and if she ever needed anything, to just ask me and I’d take a flight to see her that day.

When I got home, my wife told me I did the right thing in apologizing to both of them and that I should see her for Christmas and that our kids would be fine without me for once. So, I thank you guys for recommending that I apologize. It feels like a weight has been lifted and I can be there for Inessa without regrets.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my sister that it was rude to invite her husband’s friends to the resort where we’ll be having our destination wedding?

quote:

My fiancé (m29), and I (f27), decided that we want to do a small destination wedding in Cancun instead of a traditional wedding back in the states. My sister (f25) just got married in October and there has been a lot of tension between not only her and I but between my fiancé and her now husband. I was also in her wedding and didn’t put up a fuss about all of the bridesmaid related things, as it was her day and those were her choices. We are trying to plan our guest list with a travel agent and the resort has put a cap at 40 people total to attend the wedding, so we have only invited immediate family, close friends, and plus ones. My sister and her husband have openly expressed they don’t support our marriage, they don’t support the idea of the destination wedding, and my sister’s husband has even said he won’t go due to it being out of the country.
This morning I reached out to my sister to see what type of room we should reserve for them to which she said “how many can fit in a room, we are inviting some of our friends to come enjoy the resort with us even though they won’t be going to the wedding.” I’m not trying to be a bridezilla by any means, but I just thought that the 3-4 nights the guests were there would not only include our actual wedding, but time with family/getting to know extended family/my fiancé and I are paying for all of our guests to do an excursion off the resort. I responded saying that I wish she had asked me about her friends and that I think it is a bit rude to invite them when you’re going to Mexico for an event. My mom and sister are now telling me to get over myself, I’m being selfish, and that the only way my sister’s husband will go are if his friends are there as well. AITA for even being upset about this?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Just uninvite them and don't pay for them to go

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

sean10mm posted:

In the specific instance of the yoga maniac yeah, but most of these guys seem to also be couch potatoes who don't wash their nuts.

My guess is a big heaping of sunk cost fallacy and also maybe horrible relationship examples from boomer/genx parents

Just today on FB I scrolled past some generic meme to the effect of "You shouldn't have to fight to convince someone to stay with you" and the comments were flooded with definitely-not-bitter boomers/gen xers saying RELATIONSHIPS ARE HARD WORK AND YOU HAVE TO SUCK IT UP SNOWFLAKES

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: ^^ maybe not "have to fight to keep a good relationship" but yeah, having and keeping good relationships are hard tasks. Having a lovely relationship is easy, at least in the sense it doesn't take a lot of proactive work or consideration. Or maybe I'm not getting the point.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Get this wholesome poo poo out of my agony column toot suite SVP

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

There seems to be a lot of "boiling the frog" happening: two people get together, they both seem to have their poo poo together enough, they move in together, one loses their job, the other covers all the expenses temporarily while the first job searches...

Then the "job search" never goes anywhere, because they're the type of person who needs Actual Consequences in order to take any action. They seem to be thinking, "Why would I bother getting a job, which is annoying and hard, when my partner is willing and able to pay for rent and food?" not realizing that the partner is a ticking time bomb of resentment.

Yes that seems correct. Tracks with my own current situation, tbh.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
keeping a relationship healthy is work, as it's a living thing, like a plant, and just like a plant it will have immediate, sudden needs you can't ignore or it will die

but yeah, that doesn't you should have to 'fight' or push against yourself/your partner in misery to keep it together. it's already hard enough, without enjoying it, what the gently caress is the point?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

The second half of this post is just a watery blur, what's the deal

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

The second half of this post is just a watery blur, what's the deal

I know, it's like a weird perfect storm where everyone in the story is a good, kind, decent person and it's just magic

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

StrangersInTheNight posted:

keeping a relationship healthy is work, as it's a living thing, like a plant, and just like a plant it will have immediate, sudden needs you can't ignore or it will die

but yeah, that doesn't you should have to 'fight' or push against yourself/your partner in misery to keep it together. it's already hard enough, without enjoying it, what the gently caress is the point?

For sure, just thought it was a good example of how older generations view relationships/marriage as some grim, joyless death march and pass those attitudes onto their kids.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
too true. it's so sad how much boomer humor is about hating your partner. because, obviously, you don't stay married to someone because you like them.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pookah posted:

I know, it's like a weird perfect storm where everyone in the story is a good, kind, decent person and it's just magic

No kidding.

And even the guy being mad at first came from the fact that he wanted to be able to do good for his kid but couldn't because he didn't know they existed, which is a real mind gently caress even if he reacted badly. Which he totally admitted to once he calmed down, to everyone!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of boomers have huge chips on their shoulders that current generations aren't really feeling forced in this idea of getting married and having kids because it's what you're supposed to do. They raised 3 kids they barely tolerated and stayed with their horrible nag wife so the kids would have 2 parents and now people just... aren't!?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

sean10mm posted:

No kidding.

And even the guy being mad at first came from the fact that he wanted to be able to do good for his kid but couldn't because he didn't know they existed, which is a real mind gently caress even if he reacted badly. Which he totally admitted to once he calmed down, to everyone!

Even his new, pregnant wife was totally supportive of the need to support his daughter and treat his daughters mother with respect. And he realised he was being a rear end, and apologised.

Unprecedented in reddit history.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
drat that story was so heartwarming and genuinely made me feel good.

Anyway, fresh haul from the trash mines!

I (26F) found out my now husband (27M) used a hidden recording device while we were casually dating

quote:

Hi Reddit, posting this to a throwaway account to protect the privacy of those involved. I’ve been married to my husband for ~2 years now, and we dated for ~2 years before getting married. Before dating, we started out as casual FWB’s, both seeing other people and too busy with work to try anything serious. Fast forward to today, when I stumbled upon a hidden spy camera in his Amazon purchase history (now that we’re married we share an Amazon account). A hidden spy camera that sat on his dresser next to his bed for the duration of our FWB relationship.

I did some research on the recording device and learned it auto uploaded to a phone app. Before confronting him about it, I checked to see if he still had the app on his phone. He did, with several explicit videos saved of myself and other women.

When I brought it up with him, he came clean immediately and was extremely apologetic, saying that he threw out the camera and forgot all about the app once we started dating. Saying he never meant to hurt me (read: he never meant for me to find out). I told him that I was beyond disgusted that he had unknowingly violated me and other women, and while he acknowledged that he shouldn’t have done it, he couldn’t really understand why I was so upset. He continues to repeat that he’s sorry, but hasn’t made any major effort to sincerely apologize or prove that I can still trust him.

Is this something we can move past as a couple? I genuinely want to believe that he is a different person now than he was back then - but I’m scared that anyone with the ability to do something like this will never change. When I found out, my immediate reaction was to leave the relationship, but I’m a masters student and at the moment financially dependent on him, making a complete break off difficult. Any advice on how to approach the relationship as well as how to work on my own healing would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah he totally forgot about that app and everything. Never once opened it or looked at the contents in 4 years, just let this app full of video files take up space on his phone for that long. I mean his immediate apology after being caught pivoting into how he couldn't understand why his wife would be upset about him having a bunch of videos on his phone of him loving other women that were taken without their consent or knowledge is just so genuine and totally doesn't seem like he was caught out doing something he shouldn't have done in the first place.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

My guess is a big heaping of sunk cost fallacy and also maybe horrible relationship examples from boomer/genx parents
I think it's also relevant that the lady is in grad school. Everyone's broke in grad school so having a broke spouse isn't as big of a deal. But as you complete the degree and start figuring out what you're actually going to do with your life, the resentment will build.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Weird parrot post

Birds are smart, birds are loving, birds are manipulative.
My own good girl is 20+ years old, she does not curse, but she 100% fucks with me if I am busy with something else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can you train a bird not to poo poo just anywhere it wants? I'm under the impression that it's impossible.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
To be fair if you could just poo poo wherever and then fly away with 0 consequences for you while someone cleans it up would you accept training to only poo poo in one place?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe if I knew I was going to be punished.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can you train a bird not to poo poo just anywhere it wants? I'm under the impression that it's impossible.

I'm pretty sure they don't have the kind of large intestine & muscles that would allow that. No sense carrying around dead weight when you're trying to fly.

EDIT: Apparently this is BS. I have been utterly owned on bird gut knowledge.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't have the kind of large intestine & muscles that would allow that. No sense carrying around dead weight when you're trying to fly.

Apparently the idea that birds can't hold it in at all is a myth, and they can/will choose to poo poo at specific times/locations. The trick is that they need to poo poo once every 15 minutes to once every hour during the day, depending on the size of the bird. So it's more a question of holding for a few minutes than waiting 'till the afternoon cage cleaning is done.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's some trick.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently the idea that birds can't hold it in at all is a myth, and they can/will choose to poo poo at specific times/locations. The trick is that they need to poo poo once every 15 minutes to once every hour during the day, depending on the size of the bird. So it's more a question of holding for a few minutes than waiting 'till the afternoon cage cleaning is done.

Yeah, this.

I just have cockatiels, but they make constant small poops. It's just how bird digestion is. That said, I can ask them to poop on command, but most of the time they just lean off whatever they're sitting on and let loose.

Fortunately, healthy parrot poop is relatively inoffensive and doesn't have any sort of strong smell. Mammal poop is kind of nasty because mammals tend to rely on bacterial fermentation for digestion, and birds generally don't. I just wipe it up with a Kleenex.

They yell at the Kleenex, for some reason. :derptiel:

None of this holds true for morning poops, because they've been holding it in all night and now they're awake but gotta take a big dump first, and those are the absolute worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Wow I never knew me and birds had so much in common