Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

thotsky posted:

There are orange citrus fruits with edible skin.

OP specifies this is not at play and it is in fact an orange.

AITA for blowing up at my grandma?

quote:

NOTE: THE EXPLAINATION AND THE TITLE ARE WRONG, IT WAS 3AM AND I WAS TRYING MY BEST TO TYPE FAST. I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA.

note: she knows about my misaphonia AND ALL OF MY TRIGGERS

So i was helping my grandma and dad prep for thanksgiving dinner and my grandma suddenly started cutting the garlic with a reallly sudden motion which triggered me a LOT. i started crying and my mom asked me what was wrong. i told her about it and ran to my room, sobbing. my dad yelled at me to stop crying and stop overreacting and to apoligize to my grandma.

props to my mom cuz she told him to stop bcs im getting therapy for that ^^ thanks mom <3

edit: that as in the misaphonia

edit: dont come at me telling me im a slowflake thanks <3 my mom is just supporting me

edit: I've been in this situation before.

edit: This has happened many times before and she knows but she's still ignoring it. The reason she's ignoring it is because she thinks I'm faking my misaphonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Grape posted:

lol at husband's BiL and stepmom apparently openly hating him

Yeah I think they might be onto something.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my husband exactly why I can't dance every night when I get home from work?

Everyone involved in this seems repulsive.

The guy really teed himself up to get crushed though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

The trick with this is to tell them that if they're that severe, they need to be sequestered away from society or actually show improvement on their case, and then actually follow through as best you can.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my husband exactly why I can't dance every night when I get home from work?

the fact that apparently everyone in his family hates him and thinks he's a piece of poo poo says a lot about op's husband and she should probably pay attention

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

the fact that apparently everyone in his family hates him and thinks he's a piece of poo poo says a lot about op's husband and she should probably pay attention

As written it's only relatives not blood related to him that are tired of his bullshit; bil who married his sister, his step mom, and his wife.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

killer crane posted:

As written it's only relatives not blood related to him that are tired of his bullshit; bil who married his sister, his step mom, and his wife.

That a cop was willing to mock him over being rude to his wife is probably the biggest sign that OP's husband is a real piece of work.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

sootikins posted:

they're missing out, because yummo

i always set a tater aside when I'm peeling a bunch so I can snack on it

Same. And I got my kids on board as well, so now there has to be at least three raw potatoes left over when we peel them.
They have almost perfect consistency and taste just fine

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

That a cop was willing to mock him over being rude to his wife is probably the biggest sign that OP's husband is a real piece of work.

Any excuse to shoot someone down

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

OP elaborates:

quote:

I DID warn them, everyone knows all my triggers which are:

Loud chewing/smacking food

Tapping pencil sounds

SHARP/SUDDEN SOUNDS

closing of cabinet doors

So why the hell did you walk into the room where you can be guaranteed at least most of those things to be going on?

quote:

i wanted to help

Yes, help make everything all about you. Good job.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I mean, she has to take off her bloody scrubs anyway.

She came home once after triaging a guy who during the interview had a line that was placed in his neck come out and spray arterial blood all over her. (all she did was stick a finger in the wound and calmly tell his wife they are going to take him back immediately)

But the point is being covered in blood is pretty much the opposite of a turn on for me

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I also have misanphobia the morning after a night of hard drinking

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ChickenDoodle posted:

r/relationships: I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA.

I'm a fan of this one for the holidays, let's see what else we get out of Bird Day.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Invisible Clergy posted:

OP is posting on Reddit; I don't trust their judgment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sullat posted:

Any excuse to shoot someone down

:hmmyes:

Motronic posted:

OP elaborates:

So why the hell did you walk into the room where you can be guaranteed at least most of those things to be going on?

Yes, help make everything all about you. Good job.
Really wanna know OP's age because they sound like a goddamn 10 year-old. If you have a condition that requires accommodation, it becomes your responsibility to not only advocate for yourself but also to compromise wherever possible.

Reminds me of all the hospital patients I've cared for who, for one reason or another, couldn't speak. I'd ask them to write down. They always acted like it was the biggest insult and indignity despite me having no judgment on their circumstances and a simple desire to know wtf they wanted. When we did get a verbally compromised patient willing to use alternate communication means, I went so so far out of my way to make sure they got anything they drat well asked for.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

staberind posted:

Imagine that, but a joint instead.
yeah, thats why I'm always doing the rolling if my neighbor wants to come down and smoke a few.

I thought you meant like. Joints in food. World's worst edibles. You untie the chicken legs and a waterfall of doobies spring out. I gagged when I realized what you meant, good lord. How does that loving happen by accident? I'm upset all over again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

a podcast for cats posted:

There's Bratwurst and then there's Bockwurst. It's not difficult to confuse the names.

... you're the Wurst

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Reminds me of all the hospital patients I've cared for who, for one reason or another, couldn't speak. I'd ask them to write down. They always acted like it was the biggest insult and indignity despite me having no judgment on their circumstances and a simple desire to know wtf they wanted. When we did get a verbally compromised patient willing to use alternate communication means, I went so so far out of my way to make sure they got anything they drat well asked for.

Hey, they worked HARD on those Charades skills. Why just sign it/type it/write it down/tap it out in Morse code when you can act it out?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

An hour long commute makes me heave too but I also live in a regional city where an hour is how long it take to get to the next major city. For someone who lives in a traffic-clogged wasteland like Atlanta or LA I’m sure it’s no big deal. Of course then we deal with the question of how there’s even public transportation to his job.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Resenting wife (36f) after thanksgiving (and every holiday meal) (31f)

quote:

I get really upset after holiday meals. My spouse (36f) is super into cooking and spends weeks ‘planning’ ( thinking about/‘deciding’) thanksgiving dinner. She also always ‘supervises’ in the kitchen when I am cooking and can’t resist offering her opinions and best practices. It feels so stifling. I’ve stopped cooking because it’s now always an opportunity for her to impose her opinion on something I used to enjoy. For example, I love mashed potatoes but wasn’t allowed to make them this year because she decided on a specific recipe at the last minute and I guess I didn’t have enough skill to pull it off… so she made every single thing for Thanksgiving but the gravy, which I made from scratch bc she got too overwhelmed with everything else. Half of dinner was cold and she got super stressed out.

Yet she can’t plan out a simple dinner with two sides unless I remind her about ingredients, time to make each dish, etc. (she has ADHD so can collect recipes but can’t coordinate when each dish will be done, for example). She’s an amateur (but good) chef and wants to start her own cooking business one day despite not having any business savvy and also being physically disabled (unable to work on her feet all day). I am the family breadwinner and work 10+ hours a day easy. So she does cook some days and also works an easy job. This thanksgiving she could not resist nit-picking literally everything I did, from chopping to cleaning things to pie crust making. And then she frames my errors as housekeeping mistakes (I spent time on a pie crust and forgot about a candle in the bathroom - easily cleaned and still aesthetically pleasing). My dad is in town and I’ve been spending a lot of time mediating between her idea of a good time and his. Of course, I’m always expected to clean anything she makes.

Should I just leave her be? Encourage her dreams of being a cook/chef/food business owner despite her inability to budget or work on her feet every day?

Edit:few words for clarity

Tl;dr: Wife has ADHD and a ‘special passion’ for cooking that ends up w me shut out of the kitchen but expected to clean. What would you do? Am I an rear end in a top hat? She is a great cook.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Invisible Clergy posted:

If you can't handle the heat the sound of food being chopped, stay out of the kitchen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hey, they worked HARD on those Charades skills. Why just sign it/type it/write it down/tap it out in Morse code when you can act it out?
I wish they'd do Charades. Most of them they'd just bulge their eyes and maybe point their hand in some general direction that could mean ten different things.

Woodchip posted:

Resenting wife (36f) after thanksgiving (and every holiday meal) (31f)
So she does cook some days and also works an easy job.
Well that's a red-loving-flag. There's a crude joke about women supposedly being better at communication, but it's beneath me. Talk with your loving wife you child.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

ghost emoji posted:

quote:

AITA for jokingly calling my girlfriend a psychopath for the way she eats? (self.AmItheAsshole)

Any time someone says "we all laugh about (sore subject)", I guarantee it means one person constantly makes mean-spirited jokes about the other, and everyone else chuckles out of politeness and awkwardly tries to change the subject.

I eat food exactly the same way as this lady :smith: (I also have ADHD. I wasn't aware that was an ADHD thing)

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

ADHD is in the same family of mental disorders that OCD is in. And it's very common if you have ADHD to have symptoms of other disorders in the same family, such as OCD or Tourette's. You might not have the other disorders, but it kind of... leaks? I guess?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Maiden posted:

ADHD is in the same family of mental disorders that OCD is in. And it's very common if you have ADHD to have symptoms of other disorders in the same family, such as OCD or Tourette's. You might not have the other disorders, but it kind of... leaks? I guess?

Hmmm! I should get checked out for that stuff too...

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Won't marry my (32M) girlfriend (29F) because she previously said she could do better, and I now feel like I just fit her plan of getting married by 30.

quote:

Met her 6 years ago, friends for a year, dated 6 months which were great. She starts pulling away. I beg her to be with me (I know this was a mistake). She ends it saying she just dated me because she didn't want to ruin the friendship (weird) and she felt she could do better. She is better looking than me, but I earn well and stay physically fit,so this never crossed my mind till she said that.

Next two years she dates a bunch of people, we stay in touch on and off. Then she starts ramping up how much she contacts me and practically asks me out. Have been dating for the past two years. She recently asked me to propose I said no, and I didn't know if or when it would become a yes. She said I wasted two important years of her life because she wanted to get married by 30. If I am being honest it was a great ego boost when she started chasing me, relationship is great but I feel like she believes she is settling for me. Not just because of the fact that she said she could do better in the past, but also just to meet the goal of getting married by 30, which is stupid to live by, but I do get that vibe.

I've done well for myself, and I don't like the idea that the person I'm with feels they could have done better if she had more time. I did talk to her and she is just pissed that I wasted two important years of her life and that she wasn't settling but her words did nothing to convince me. Can't shake this feeling of being settled for and this being forced. I want someone who truly loves me, and I don't think she does. Any thoughts or advice?

TL;DR I feel like my gf chose me to meet her goal of getting married by 30, and she feels like she is settling with her previously telling me she could do better. Now I don't want to marry her because I can't shake this feeling.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for telling my cousin’s friend “we get it. You’re broke and dumb.”

quote:

My (22M) younger brother (17M) just got into his dream school, and it was very competitive. He has wanted to attend his whole life. He slaved away for years, getting four hours of sleep each night and becoming president of just about every club at his school for the chance to get accepted. It’s also very expensive to attend (about $80K per year if you aren’t on financial aid).

Our family has always wanted to him to attend, and he just got in. This has been the lifelong goal of our family. We were having a nice celebration party for him. All of our family came, and even some of their friends. My cousin brought his best friend “John” (23M) along, who is a loud, obnoxious guy. He is currently in community college since he did poorly in high school (I know the reasoning because my cousin told me). John showed up drunk.

John was clearly super jealous of my brother because he kept interrupting everyone’s toasts to whine about himself, even though he wasn’t even invited.

My dad toasted my brother and said something like “To a lifetime of achievement and hard work leading up to this.” John interjected with his witty comments and said “Imagine spending your whole life reading books to be able to pay $80K a year.” And my dad continued, ignoring him. My dad said “You didn’t give up even when you had to pull all-nighters, and now you’ve gotten into your dream school.” And John interrupted to loudly joke “Must be nice to be rich.”

He made a few more smart-rear end jokes. “Must be nice to be smart.” “This is some tryhard poo poo.”

And then I cut in and said “We get it, John. You’re broke and dumb. Kindly stop interrupting or get your drunk, mediocre rear end out.” So he muttered something stupid like “come at me” and then left. And we all ignored him.

My cousin is mad I embarrassed his best friend. I think he shouldn’t be inviting that loser places in the first place.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Invisible Clergy posted:

Actively seeking out your triggers is a good idea.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

datajugend posted:

Actively seeking out your triggers is a good idea.

I'll never understand the instinct to steer towards a trigger instead of away from it. Is it a moth-towards-the-light kind of thing??

STOVE HOT, TOUCH STOVE

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for tricking my husband to coming to a school event and inviting her to my house?

quote:

My mother and husband hate each other. That's the most basic way to put it. Truth is that my husband feels that he is treated as less than my other sibling's spouses because of his skin colour, and my mother feels that he is way too dumb for my standards. However, I personally feel that my mother does not show any favouritism or harsh treatment of my husband.

Because of this, my husband cannot stand my mother and has recently begun to even be in the same room as her. "Oh your mom's going to be at Christmas? I'm going to a friend's house." "Oh your mom's going to the kid's event? I'll just stay at home."

Frankly it's insanely demoralising for me, and I hate my husband when he backs out of something just because my mom is going to be there, and it's worse when he demands that my mom not go because he wants to be there. In my opinion, he's the one with the big issue, he should be the one to leave the kid's events.

Recently one of my kids was having a big football match and he wanted his father there. My mother also wanted to be there so I tried telling my son that he couldn't have his father there. He was adamant, so I told my husband that my mother was not going to be there.

He arrives, and obviously, so does my mother, and they are immediately bickering. He makes a comment about how racist my mother is, and then she fires back saying she was never racist. I told them to shut up and sent my husband to sit somewhere else for a while. I decided that since the game ended late, i'll bring my mom back to my home and make her some dinner.

My husband threw a hissy fit over this and was screaming about me always "choosing my mother over him" and I was like, "of loving course i'm going to put my mom over my husband. She's the woman who singlehandedly raised me and 3 other kids. She's literally a goddess for not giving some of us for adoption."

My husband stormed out and i'm left wondering if I've done something wrong.
AITA?

Redditors think this was actually posted by the mom, because it's the only way the bit about being a goddess for raising the kids instead of giving them up for adoption makes sense.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Piell posted:

i hate all of these people

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010

Maiden posted:

Comorbidity. Certain disorders tend to show up paired with Tic Disorders, most commonly with ADHD and Obsessive-Compulsive and related disorders.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Piell posted:

no one has ever used "kindly" while shouting at someone outside of british movies and tv

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

Won't marry my (32M) girlfriend (29F) because she previously said she could do better, and I now feel like I just fit her plan of getting married by 30.
If you've got the feeling and it won't go away, bail. You can do better.

Piell posted:

Everyone in this story sounds like East Coast trash.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'll never understand the instinct to steer towards a trigger instead of away from it. Is it a moth-towards-the-light kind of thing??

STOVE HOT, TOUCH STOVE
Genuine immaturity plus really poor structuring/framing on the part of the parents. Corralling a kid is not easy but if you don't find a way to get them to understand boundaries around their poo poo, this happens and persists well into adulthood.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Asked fiancé to take a break from porn so he left

quote:

I’m 34f, he’s 41m. We live together and have been together 3.5 years.

He has a kink that I don’t want to out but the relevance is it centers around Thanksgiving. We had a bunch of fun, sexy Thanksgiving stuff planned for him for the holiday.

The night before Thanksgiving he spent six hours looking at porn and talking about porn, his fantasies, and wanting me to come up with scenarios/stories/other people/etc to talk about to him.

It was a lot of mental labor for me after I’d just had a long, hard day at work and then a two hour drive. I was exhausted and running on empty, and calmly communicated that to him multiple times. But, I also knew how much it meant to him, so I was supportive, encouraging, engaged, participating, and positive. Occasionally, I’d remind him that I really just needed to wind down, but he’d continue. Scrolling through porn, asking me to talk about his fantasies.

This went on for six hours.

2 am hits. I’m depleted, but not tense or short. I apologetically reminded him that I really needed to shut off my brain for a while, and asked if he wanted to watch a movie with me. He said yes… then asked if I’d be okay with him continuing to look at porn during the movie.

I’d been okay with it until this point, but suddenly I felt the excessiveness was disrespectful. Not to mention, our sex life already revolves almost entirely around his kink - we don’t do what I like because it makes him uncomfortable, although what I like is considered “normal” while his is taboo.

I said I’d like him to take a break and spend some time with me, and he became defensive and angry. He said I know how important Thanksgiving is to him and how much he’s been looking forward to this. I said I’d never agreed for Thanksgiving to be all about porn and his fantasies while I’m left out and disrespected.

When he yelled at me, I asked him to stop yelling. He said he just wouldn’t talk to me then.

When he would interrupt me, I pointed it out, which also upset him. (Whenever I have interrupted him, which I’ve worked on, he’s made a big deal about it and says I need to apologize, but doesn’t feel the same applies to him toward me; I think it is a control issue).

When he kept on, I told him I was leaving the room to take a break because I wasn’t feeling respected.

So he just left. He’s been gone two nights and nearly two days now.

Note that we’ve worked so our relationship has been good and loving and strong, so I really didn’t expect his intense reaction, esp after already having six hours of porn.

I’m not sure what to do. We love each other very much, and I do want this to work. Was I being controlling to ask him to stop doing something he wanted to do? Any advice for how to handle this after things cool down? His preference is to just let things go and move on; I like to talk through things so we are somewhat at odds there.

Tl;Dr: My fiancés Thanksgiving-related kink led to him spending six hours on porn so I asked if he’d take a break and he left.

quote:

He asked me not to tell anybody about his kink - I am respecting that boundary by not detailing it to internet strangers, yet giving some detail for context. Also, the kink itself isn’t an issue, so I don’t believe the details are relevant.

Booooooo

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 26, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

no one has ever used "kindly" while shouting at someone outside of british movies and tv

I used to work for a company that had a Bangalore india branch and those guys love saying “kindly” in emails

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

This isn't how I remember "A Fish Called Selma" going

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

The Glumslinger posted:

Booooooo

Gonna go out on a limb and assume stuffing is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for tricking my husband to coming to a school event and inviting her to my house?

Redditors think this was actually posted by the mom, because it's the only way the bit about being a goddess for raising the kids instead of giving them up for adoption makes sense.
Also the sheer idiocy created by the central conflict. The kid wants dad there, but grandma wants to come. Clearly the kid's wishes are immaterial here and grandma should just come whenever. Grandma and the OP are so obviously the assholes its nuts. Husband needs to bail asap; his wife is always going to cater to her mother at his expense.

Also definitely assuming grandma is racist too after reading the rest of it.