Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah +1 to everything Mega said, Tomlin moving to another team sounds like a fever dream unless there is some crazy behind the scenes poo poo we don’t know about. Maybe if Ben refuses to sit down and retire and he’s still stuck with him 3 years from now lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Tomlin owns and I hope they can land a solid QB soon. It would be awesome to see him surpass Chuck Noll for longevity after 2029.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Tomlin should return to Minnesota, where he famously coached the defense for a season before moving on to Pittsburgh

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's time to have the Pete carrol discussion

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

really queer Christmas posted:

This is a mutual resignation and everyone just thanks each other for the opportunity situation it seems.

Pete's checked out and old as hell, ride into the sunset to attend a Jordan Peterson lecture buffoonish king.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Seahawks collapsed faster than the…ah…what’s the analogy I’m looking for here…something that collapsed shockingly and surprisingly in a very public way….help me out

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Seahawks collapsed faster than the…ah…what’s the analogy I’m looking for here…something that collapsed shockingly and surprisingly in a very public way….help me out

Future’s engagement to Ciara

No wait that’s not it

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saxon rule in England?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hiroshima?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

syzpid posted:

Eric Bieniemy?

It's amazing to think Kingsbury was fired as a college head coach, took an OC College job, and then got offered a head coaching job in the NFL. I don't think we'll ever see it again, especially for a coach who only had 2 seasons above .500

There's probably a lesson to be learned here about how the best options for coaching hires aren't always just the usual "good OC/DC in NFL or great college HC" but the process of hiring a head coach is so opaque and complicated that I certainly can't tell what the lesson would be

E: I guess Vance Joseph is a huge part of that. I'm not sure how exactly the Cardinals landed him versus any other team getting him

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2021

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

opposable thumbs.db posted:

There's probably a lesson to be learned here about how the best options for coaching hires aren't always just the usual "good OC/DC in NFL or great college HC" but the process of hiring a head coach is so opaque and complicated that I certainly can't tell what the lesson would be

E: I guess Vance Joseph is a huge part of that. I'm not sure how exactly the Cardinals landed him versus any other team getting him

all this per https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/2019-offensive-defensive-coordinator-tracker

Arizona Cardinals (Out: Al Holcomb) → Vance Joseph, former head coach (Broncos)
Chicago Bears (Out: Vic Fangio) → Chuck Pagano, former head coach (Colts)
Cincinnati Bengals (Out: Marvin Lewis) → Lou Anarumo, defensive backs coach (Giants)
Cleveland Browns (Out: Gregg Williams) → Steve Wilks, former head coach (Cardinals)
Denver Broncos (Out: Joe Woods) → Ed Donatell, secondary coach (Bears)
Kansas City Chiefs (Out: Bob Sutton) → Steve Spagnuolo, former defensive coordinator (Giants)
Miami Dolphins (Out: Matt Burke) → Patrick Graham, linebacker coach/run game coordinator (Packers)
New England Patriots (Out: Brian Flores) → Greg Schiano, former defensive coordinator (Ohio State)
New York Jets (Out: Kacy Rodgers) → Gregg Williams, former interim head coach/defensive coordinator (Browns)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Out: Mark Duffner) → Todd Bowles, former head coach (Jets): Hired

aside from the cardinals, Vance apparently only had an interview scheduled with cleveland and was a candidate with the jets.

So fundamentally those are all pretty recognizable people being hired. Miami and Denver had just hired defensive minded head coaches so that leaves cinci with the only guy i've never heard of.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Lions secondary DC Aubrey Pleasant should be an HC immediately, however, he likely won't be hired this year.

Some team is going to be a genius when he's hired.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Walls of Jericho?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

When do we start having the Matt Rhule conversation

Probably several years into the future when he isn't on year two of a seven year contract

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/1465729511916380160

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
In unusual turn, coach offers vote of confidence in franchise.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Terrible news

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean if he gets fired he keeps all the money, can sit out this upcoming college season then pretty much have his pick of a dozen suitors right?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

So that means he's already got a deal in place with ND

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Classless urban Meyer getting ready to bolt after ruining Trevor. No honor. Shameful.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This was funny.

https://twitter.com/WoodsFootball/status/1465723573092466689

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Reminds me of that guy who pretended he wanted to buy someone's truck, did a 'test drive' where he picked up a couch and brought it to his house, then explained that since he'd already moved the couch he had no need of the truck.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
College Football coaches may be the worst job class of people in the country. Which is really saying something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

Reminds me of that guy who pretended he wanted to buy someone's truck, did a 'test drive' where he picked up a couch and brought it to his house, then explained that since he'd already moved the couch he had no need of the truck.

gently caress car dealerships though, that dude is just smart

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

Not all heroes wear capes

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kelly has multiple counts of blood on his hand.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hot young up-and-comer Brian Schottenheimer will be the next head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

a neat cape posted:

gently caress car dealerships though, that dude is just smart

it was a private party and that guy is a fuckin rear end in a top hat

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ammanas posted:

Seems like a problem solver

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, wtf car dealership let's you just take the car and do whatever you want

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was kind of surprised by how inept both offensive coordinators were in the MNF game. On the washington side they spent most of the 4th quarter running all three downs, including on 3rd and anything less than 5 in lieu of calling a play action or roll out or any kind of high percentage pass and Seattle seemed obsessed with trying deep, long developing passing plays in lieu of anything to take the pressure off Russ having to stand in the pocket waiting to get walloped. I know Seattle lost every running back worth poo poo on their roster but they had 2 drives where they dialed up some short passes to get Russ out of trouble and both times he excelled and they came away with a touchdown.

They spent a second round pick on a slot receiver and barely used him at all.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BlindSite posted:

I was kind of surprised by how inept both offensive coordinators were in the MNF game. On the washington side they spent most of the 4th quarter running all three downs, including on 3rd and anything less than 5 in lieu of calling a play action or roll out or any kind of high percentage pass and Seattle seemed obsessed with trying deep, long developing passing plays in lieu of anything to take the pressure off Russ having to stand in the pocket waiting to get walloped. I know Seattle lost every running back worth poo poo on their roster but they had 2 drives where they dialed up some short passes to get Russ out of trouble and both times he excelled and they came away with a touchdown.

They spent a second round pick on a slot receiver and barely used him at all.

To this end, ESPN mentioned that Washington has run on every third and one.

Not last night, all season. Every single one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It’s Ron Rivera ball.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
They were having a ton of success against Seattle with the run, and Heineke is... unreliable at best through the air so I'm not gonna kill them for that. In fact I think they came with a pretty good game plan on both sides of the ball.

On the other hand, the Seahawks' gameplan was probably a Jordan Peterson quote about masculinity written on the back of a cocktail napkin

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hot young up-and-comer Brian Schottenheimer will be the next head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

There's only one person who's going to be the next head coach of the Seahawks and you will call him Coach Garrett.

:suicide:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do we know their conversion %?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s Ron Rivera ball.

Defenses lining up thinking "this has *got* to be the time where they throw it on 3rd & short, right?"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

They were having a ton of success against Seattle with the run, and Heineke is... unreliable at best through the air so I'm not gonna kill them for that. In fact I think they came with a pretty good game plan on both sides of the ball.

On the other hand, the Seahawks' gameplan was probably a Jordan Peterson quote about masculinity written on the back of a cocktail napkin

They were definitely successful but they also did the classic Ron Rivera and allowed Seattle to make the game so much closer than it needed to be. There were multiple times they could have gone for it on 4th and 1 but elected to punt and while Heinicke can be a little up and down he's good enough to exploit a match up or run a boot leg for a yard.

I get WFT managed to pull off the win and so yeah their game plan was effective but when you add in Rivera's time in Carolina this is just shy of ten years as a head coach where he's had to fight for a game on the final drive that should have been well beyond reach by the end of the third quarter. Losing your kicker doesn't help - sure but his lack of ability to close out a game is crazy to me after all this time.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Also mentions his marital commitment to his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is his agent trying to put out the fire, right?