Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Thank you! I just grabbed this on Discogs, as well as this as a random dumb Christmas surprise for my partner!
https://www.discogs.com/release/489324-Boba-Fettucini-Jawa-Breaks

Hell yeah, hope you dig it as much as I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

So far its pretty interesting. It's definitely a step up from my first cleaning system which was the Spin Clean and then I went to a Squeaky Clean w/Power Vac setup. It's definitely super nice to just set it and forget it for a cleaning and just come by and grab the disc when its all done. Super handy in that regard and I can actually get along with my day the rest of the time. As far as cleaning and sound quality before and after I am noticing a major step up in that regard.

First I tried out some fresh used discs I had just bought that afternoon. Some dusty and old records that have been sitting in the shop for a minute and after a 15 minute trip through the machine the discs came out looking shiny and fresh. Definitely some static build up though I noticed after the drying process, but I can solve that with my Zerostat gun. Next I tried one of my more precious records, the first pressing Mono edition of John Coltrane's "Ballads". lots of background noise during playback, but to be expected with a disc that's nearing 60 years in age. I put it through two trips of the cleaning process and after a shot from the stat gun the noise level dropped all the way the gently caress down to near nothing. I was really really shocked how good it sounded. Still, its a 60 year old record, but doing an A/B test from a Squeaky Clean cleaning to a Ultrasonic cleaning it was night and day how much noise just went away. Was really shocked about that one.

Now I'm going through and trying to recall some records I had issues with in the past. tried my copy of Danzigs first album, but unfortunately I think it's a physical issue on the B-Side because Mother skips super hard for the first 40 seconds before getting on with the rest of the song. Super bummed about that one because I'll have to find another copy even though they're all ridiculously priced nowadays. I'm enjoying it though. It's a real simple tool to use, the filter keeps the water clean so you dont have to replace the distilled water after every cleaning and it's just kinda great having my time back. I used to spend at least 60-90 minutes cleaning records using my Spin Clean or Squeaky Clean. Now I just set this thing up in the kitchen (because it is noisy in the initial cleaning and then the water draining) and come back every 15 minutes or so after a record is done cleaning and swap in the next one.

So far so good.

I think maybe it's not durable enough, what do you think? Let's just say rhetorically I have about a thousand dirty records to clean.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

I think maybe it's not durable enough, what do you think? Let's just say rhetorically I have about a thousand dirty records to clean.

well I'm currently at around 30 records, but there are a few other people who've had theirs for a bit longer that have reached around 600 with no issues so far. Just have to see, but the company did include replacement parts for the moving bits.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I bought warfaring strangers acid nightmares, which then led me to the Brown Acid compilations; absolutely loving loving them.

Where do I go next? Any suggestions are welcome!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

midge posted:

which then led me to the Brown Acid compilations; absolutely loving loving them.
I've just flipped through like 15 of the tracks on these amd am having to restrain myself from dropping $175 on the box set. Goddamn these are so in my wheelhouse.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

midge posted:

I bought warfaring strangers acid nightmares, which then led me to the Brown Acid compilations; absolutely loving loving them.

Where do I go next? Any suggestions are welcome!

There is another Warfaring Strangers

https://numerogroup.com/products/warfaring-strangers-darkscorch-canticles?variant=40261045190854

You can still find it on discogs.

I really dig Circuit Rider. Kinda in the same vein. Biker rock I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzsud-plug

stealie72 posted:

I've just flipped through like 15 of the tracks on these amd am having to restrain myself from dropping $175 on the box set. Goddamn these are so in my wheelhouse.

https://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/product/brown-acid-combo-set/

I bought the series without the box for a bit cheaper. Considering that the albums are in the $20 range getting the whole set (at the time) for about $145 seemed like a good deal.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 30, 2021

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Having ordered this back in May, I finally received delivery of the Justice League Snyder Cut 7 LP set.

Its an absolute beauty, and well worth the wait:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Boris has a new album coming and they've joined Sacred Bones hell yes

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr287-boris-w

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I think I won the prog rock category today:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Who else needed a couple seconds to figure out the kids play flooring 5 wasn't an album cover?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

stealie72 posted:

Who else needed a couple seconds to figure out the kids play flooring 5 wasn't an album cover?

Haha, definitely me! I did a triple-take.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Lol I didn't catch that till you mentioned it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I think I won the prog rock category today:

Were those thrift store pickups?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

stealie72 posted:

Me. Also dammit I still love the album art for prog rock album covers, particularly those Asia ones that I'm pretty sure are Roger Dean drawn, but I have a real tough time getting into the music itself.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Goodwill's auction site. They had a Wendy Carlos collection too but it was well over 100 with hours left. I guess that is Roger Dean, I thought it was Roger Dean inspired, I'll tell you in a bit but I've got a very relaxed cat on me RN. I mainly got it for the King Crimson though. That red one there was once a very strong favorite, haven't listened to it through since college tho.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Discipline is great

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I just realized I'm confusing King Crimson and King Diamond. :psyduck:

(The only prog I listen to is Jethro Tull.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Discipline is great

Very sentimental about my King Crimson from those days. Saw them perform Discipline on 3 of a perfect pair tour.

I love me some Jethro Tull BTW, got a hankering to get a copy of stormwatch. Had it when I was a kid.

ED: Yes, they're all Roger Dean. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Asia, I mostly wanted the others.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

I love me some Jethro Tull BTW, got a hankering to get a copy of stormwatch.
I have a grotty copy of aqualung that I adore because the pops and clicks add to the experience.

Need to get more prog rock in general. Have some Yes, some crimson, some ELP, a Camel record, and some early genesis, but gotta go dig some more.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Very sentimental about my King Crimson from those days. Saw them perform Discipline on 3 of a perfect pair tour.

I love me some Jethro Tull BTW, got a hankering to get a copy of stormwatch. Had it when I was a kid.

ED: Yes, they're all Roger Dean. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Asia, I mostly wanted the others.

I'm not either. I do have the self title because of the cool dragon and it was 99c at the thrift store years ago. I also have these two albums because I can sort of stand the music and enjoy the covers some. Too lazy to go dig them out so google images will do that work for me.

I'm not sure about the Yes cover but Greenslade definitely is one of the many Roger Dean clones/ripoffs.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, I used to have the Roger Dean book from Dragon's Dream, I specifically remember that Greenslade image.

And I remember like in '82, when the disco hotspots held no charms for you, I remember Mark on MTV saying Asia is our new supergroup. LOL.

stealie72 posted:

I have a grotty copy of aqualung that I adore because the pops and clicks add to the experience.

Need to get more prog rock in general. Have some Yes, some crimson, some ELP, a Camel record, and some early genesis, but gotta go dig some more.

Don't know if it's prog rock but I moved on from there to Gong, which I'm not sure which genre they'd be in but the You and the Camembert Electrique albums remain favorites to this day. And another proto-krautrock or something band I still love is Ozric Tentacles, which I think I heard about in the 80s but never discovered until the 90s.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm not either. I do have the self title because of the cool dragon and it was 99c at the thrift store years ago. I also have these two albums because I can sort of stand the music and enjoy the covers some. Too lazy to go dig them out so google images will do that work for me.

I'm not sure about the Yes cover but Greenslade definitely is one of the many Roger Dean clones/ripoffs.

those are both just Actually Roger Dean

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

those are both just Actually Roger Dean

gently caress, the Greenslade one looks so off to me, because it doesn't have that hard edge precision I associate with him. I'm sure somebody has an album with art that's I Can't Believe it's not Roger Dean, everyone was imitating that look for a while in the late 60s.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Discipline is great

I love the live version of Elephant Talk they performed on Fridays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Eoek8a500

Lizard, though, that's my type of King Crimson. That and In the Wake of Poseidon are my favorite albums of theirs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

My local place always has a copy, maybe I'll grab it next time I swing by.

I got a new futon for my music room, so I'm laying around like a Roman emperor while listening to these three random Luther Vandross albums I grabbed. It's dark and I have my fake neon lights on...a whole mood. :3

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Are there King Crimson albums where Robert Fripp did the kind of stuff he was doing with Brian Eno and David Bowie?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Are there King Crimson albums where Robert Fripp did the kind of stuff he was doing with Brian Eno and David Bowie?

Not enough comfort women.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I mean, Eno had a JFK-sized appetite.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Anytime Eno comes up I feel compelled to link this live bootleg with The Winkies. It's in my top 5 Eno records and that's saying a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA_4nSuZvaobVSdYazluwTTcjbJOAeOBf

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

Anytime Eno comes up I feel compelled to link this live bootleg with The Winkies. It's in my top 5 Eno records and that's saying a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA_4nSuZvaobVSdYazluwTTcjbJOAeOBf

Whoah thanks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CPL593H posted:

No, but you might be interested in his solo album Exposure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

If you’re thinking more specifically about the scary monsters sound, try discipline. He wasn’t really making “king crimson” music in the late 70s so there’s nothing under that name that really sounds a lot like heroes to me (lodger might be closer) . But I think his playing on scary monsters is better anyways.

But if you haven’t listened to it, listen to Fripp & Eno no pussyfooting

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 1, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

If you’re thinking more specifically about the scary monsters sound, try discipline. He wasn’t really making “king crimson” music in the late 70s so there’s nothing under that name that really sounds a lot like heroes to me (lodger might be closer) . But I think his playing on scary monsters is better anyways.

But if you haven’t listened to it, listen to Fripp & Eno no pussyfooting

Yeah I'm thinking of Scary Monsters. I have No Pussyfooting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of Scary Monsters. I have No Pussyfooting.

Listen to discipline. It’s great even if it’s not exactly what you’re looking for. A lot of the time belew’s guitar playing is more up front but they’re both great.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Listen to discipline. It’s great even if it’s not exactly what you’re looking for. A lot of the time belew’s guitar playing is more up front but they’re both great.

+1

Not the same style as his stuff with Eno, but this is a cool Fripp album that doesn’t get a ton of attention, def would be a proud add to any collection: https://www.discogs.com/master/9917-Robert-Fripp-The-League-Of-Gentlemen-The-League-Of-Gentlemen

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I haven't done a "Hey look at the crap I bought." post in a really long time. So hey look at the crap I bought.

I also have a copy of Impeach My Bush by Peaches making its way here. I'm very mature.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If we're talking King Crimson, the one album I come back to most often is Absent Lovers, live album from 84 right before that version of the band broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7EdpPwrv8

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 1, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

+1

Not the same style as his stuff with Eno, but this is a cool Fripp album that doesn’t get a ton of attention, def would be a proud add to any collection: https://www.discogs.com/master/9917-Robert-Fripp-The-League-Of-Gentlemen-The-League-Of-Gentlemen

It’s the best

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Anyway, I got three records coming from Japan!

I can't wait to see what kinda weird poo poo is gonna be on that last one:

CaptainBeefart posted:

That looks pretty interesting. I'm intrigued.

I'm here to report that this arrived today! I'm halfway through Side A of the Hawaiian radio station, this is so strange. :stonk: I love it.

The DJ keeps teasing his upcoming interview with Mackie Feary about bodysurfing!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'm here to report that this arrived today! I'm halfway through Side A of the Hawaiian radio station, this is so strange. :stonk: I love it.

nice. If possible to describe what is it? I did a quick google and couldn't find any youtube tracks.