Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i feel guilty for pointing this out because i started the derail kinda by lamenting the lack of bl localized stuff but we do have a really good VN thread! that is dormant because Ciconia 2 refuses to come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Commander Keene posted:

No joke, that'd probably be more interesting to me than the dating sim part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twsWpsWbTss

i've heard it's pretty good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Nooo I missed out on otome game chat. If we're gonna start recommendations, the Alice x Taisho games are very very good.

I liked Code Realize a lot. I only played the first one but I think it was the best otome I've played. Hakuoki Kyoto Winds was my first otome ever and I liked it, too. The awesome trailer really hooked me back when I first got my PSTV and was looking for non-Persona 4 Golden stuff for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-Y_YUsQTU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually have collarXmalice for the vita and should give it a shot before reselling it since it actually goes for a decent amount boxed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah shiny colors is really good if you know jp or are willing to put up with the sometimes spotty (both in terms of quality and what it translates) fanpatch. noctchill, lantica, and shhis especially are pretty wild directions to take im@s writing-wise. nichika going 'i like this song because it sounds like she wanted to die while singing it' is an all timer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

virtues last reward is like a dating sim, if instead of dating, you walk in on a room of all your friends murdered and the route just ends

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Polsy posted:

Starlit Season is another pretty big shift - the gameplay is back to the 2 style but now you select from the original 13 idols plus three from the other (female) branches of the franchise. It's also back to having an overall objective to meet but you're 'tested' periodically so you can't just play to the end of the game year with a terrible team. Idol talk isn't as extensive as 2 but there's more than the other PS4 games. Unfortunately due to the number of idols (and possibly partly covid-related scheduling) the 'every idol can sing every song' aspect is lost. Seems to be generally considered a return to form.
I'll have to make a note of that one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

starlit season is also getting some dlc so it might be worth waiting a minute to get it anyway

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the biggest flaw of undernauts is that it doesn't remember your cursor placement when you pick Fast Battle

i'm sure the designers wanted you not to abuse turbo because a lot of turns in the game could wipe out party members, but i don't care, I'll make it go brrr and deal with the consequences after

my party is

office lady fencer, bulwark, wrestling fighter
creative sorcerer (witch sprite of course), gymnast ninja, otaku cleric

so far the fencer has been the only weak spot, they keep drawing aggro for some reason and getting killed before i can heal them. obv their 'sacrifice defense for attack power' skill doesn't help but i'm gonna have to beef up their CON a lot

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 30, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

the biggest flaw of undernauts is that it doesn't remember your cursor placement when you pick Fast Battle

i'm sure the designers wanted you not to abuse turbo because a lot of turns in the game could wipe out party members, but i don't care, I'll make it go brrr and deal with the consequences after

my party is

office lady fencer, bulwark, wrestling fighter
creative sorcerer (witch sprite of course), gymnast ninja, otaku cleric

so far the fencer has been the only weak spot, they keep drawing aggro for some reason and getting killed before i can heal them. obv their 'sacrifice defense for attack power' skill doesn't help but i'm gonna have to beef up their CON a lot

It definitely does remember if you're selecting the Repeat Action with the Triangle button (on PS4) to initiate Fast Battle. I almost exclusively used that for grinding. Additionally, it will still remember your actual inputs even if you choose "Normal Attack" for autobattle for any number of rounds, as long as you're not the one manually selecting "Attack" on each character.

edit: Fencer doesn't really come around til promotion, IMO. Definitely my latest bloomer. Once you get some evasion on your Fencer and Squad Protection on your Bulwark you can go HAM with Vampiric Strike and watch your Fencer comically outdamage everyone else in your party combined. I stopped using the Helm Strike early on and switched to the Barrage Attack and that did a lot for survivability. And definitely do not sleep on CON. By the postgame I had a minimum of 35 CON on all characters (backliners need it too with the way enemies can almost always jump rows). My Bulwark was pushing 60+ by the postgame bosses.

My recommendation is have everyone at 15 CON by the boss of Section 99, 20 CON for the next dungeon series, 25 and so on as you progress. You start getting a lot of stat boosters as you play so distribute CON boosts appropriately.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 30, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Miijhal posted:

Sapphic Style Savvy and a fantasy Style Savvy RPG are all I want in life.

:emptyquote:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man after Chroma Squad I really want another toku/Japanese superhero RPG

Does anyone have recommendations other than Zettai Hero Project, I already knew about that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i couldnt get into chroma squad because the translation was so weird i couldnt tell if it was actual power rangers or if you were filming a tv show. or both?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You start of just filming it but later you become a superhero team for realz

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm bad at games and at the time there was nowhere to grind for materials or a defense stat so I just got my rear end kicked by one of the mech bosses doing like 15% of my healthbar each turn.

No idea If that ever got patched.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the power ups and transformations in Legend of Dragoon are very toku inspired but the game is mostly generic fantasy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not an RPG but there's Wonderful 101 I guess.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Red's route in SaGa frontier, which also has the benefit of being one of the more story-focused and fleshed out routes.

But it's also only one part of a much larger game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
White Knight Chronicles is fantasy toku, especially the PSP one.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got on a 16-bit RPG kick last year when I played through Breath of Fire 1 & 2 on the NSO snes app. I remembered that I had the Genesis classics collection so I played through Shining in the Darkness which was… different. I know there were a lot of first-person dungeon crawler RPG’s back then but this was the first one I played. The final stretch of the Labyrinth was kinda tough but the end boss was a joke, which was kinda weird since the end bosses used to be huge dicks.

Then I decided to play Phantasy Star II. Why… why did I do that? It was pretty incomprehensible and the game mechanics were totally weird. You have to go back to your house after each new town to recruit new people, how would the player know that? The stealing mechanic is also bizarre. I beat it, somehow, but it was a struggle.

The game manual actually tells you to do that, I'm pretty sure; it has hints for a couple of the more obscure puzzles too. (And they also had to package a full book of dungeon maps with the game because they realized they went a little overboard with the dungeon design.)

Endorph posted:

also proper dating sims for dudes barely get made anymore, obviously there's still romance visual novels but they usually have some kind of twist or proper story, like an action or sci-fi or horror thing, and none of the mechanical elements.

There's still a fair number of generic slice-of-wife games getting made where the appeal is just hanging out with the girls and there's not much in the way of plot outside of that, but yeah, actual complex dating mechanics are a rarity; it seems increasingly uncommon to even have "failure" routes where you don't collect enough affection points, with the game just shepherding you onto whoever's route you did least badly with instead, or outright letting you pick.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, IIRC PS2 came with a strategy guide like Earthbound, though not as high-quality, it was just a little booklet with hints and dungeon maps.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Wild Arms 2 is just a Toku Story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

There's still a fair number of generic slice-of-wife games getting made where the appeal is just hanging out with the girls and there's not much in the way of plot outside of that
And even those games tend to have some kind of high concept hook, even if it doesnt impact how things play out much. 'the protag died at the start and is a ghost' or whatever, that kinda thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thuryl posted:

There's still a fair number of generic slice-of-wife games getting made where the appeal is just hanging out with the girls and there's not much in the way of plot outside of that, but yeah, actual complex dating mechanics are a rarity; it seems increasingly uncommon to even have "failure" routes where you don't collect enough affection points, with the game just shepherding you onto whoever's route you did least badly with instead, or outright letting you pick.

Sucks that they don't seem to come out in English ever, as far as I can tell. I'd be absolutely into just a dumb feel good sorta go on dates, make friends and stuff kinda game. Especially considering how crazy things are these days

As far as I can tell at least, everything on steam seems to just be a sex thing

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, I have an appreciation for games where there is something to do besides just romance, even if romance is the clear focus

also for that person a while back who asked for a matchmaking simulator: Massive Chalice has that as a thing you do, making pairings of heroes to have kids, even if it's in service of XCOM-esque combat and a Darkest Dungeon style personality flaws/perks systems

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Massive Chalice has that? I couldn't even get through the tutorial I was so not the target for it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

And even those games tend to have some kind of high concept hook, even if it doesnt impact how things play out much. 'the protag died at the start and is a ghost' or whatever, that kinda thing.

Yeah, I guess that's true. "You work at a coffee shop but the other staff are catgirls" is still a hook even if the plot could basically play out the same if they weren't.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Sucks that they don't seem to come out in English ever, as far as I can tell. I'd be absolutely into just a dumb feel good sorta go on dates, make friends and stuff kinda game. Especially considering how crazy things are these days

As far as I can tell at least, everything on steam seems to just be a sex thing

Speaking of which, you should play this game where you work at a coffee shop but the other staff are catgirls.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1238680/Amairo_Chocolate/

There's no sex in the Steam version and it doesn't really suffer for not having it. I was the editor on this one so feel free to yell at me if the prose reads badly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, IIRC PS2 came with a strategy guide like Earthbound, though not as high-quality, it was just a little booklet with hints and dungeon maps.

It sucks not having those things when playing the games in the modern day, I have to read a 20-year-old text guide from GameFAQ’s instead

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Thuryl posted:

The Tokimeki Memorial 2 bad ending theme may never find a worthy rival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJUOuJlZNc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Credits rolling in BR2. Really good game. The last two chapters were the weakest part unfortunately but it's still a solid 9/10 from me. I'm incredibly surprised modern Gust managed to put out something that touched me this much. I think their next most recent game that hit me this hard was...Atelier Ayesha? To some extent I thought the magic was gone and they were just making games I liked now, rather than games I loved.

I might write up an effort post on it, or I might save it for the goty thread since it'll definitely land in my top ten for the year.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's frustratingly close to being a perfect 10/10. Basically all of my complaints could be addressed with very minor rewrites or system changes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really aggravating how death end re;Quest 2 fucks up some of the good stuff about the first game.Like the combat wasn't great before but now its just kinda boring...

Endorph posted:

They made a Ghost Trick dating sim?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like the final few chapters in BR2 spend a lot of time attempting to explain what's going on in the story, but those revelations aren't especially satisfying and don't really motivate the characters to think about their predicament any differently, so it's just kind of "oh okay" instead of thought-provoking.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like the final few chapters in BR2 spend a lot of time attempting to explain what's going on in the story, but those revelations aren't especially satisfying and don't really motivate the characters to think about their predicament any differently, so it's just kind of "oh okay" instead of thought-provoking.

Yeah the character drama was a lot more satisfying than the fantasy stuff, in general

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the character drama was a lot more satisfying than the fantasy stuff, in general
That's one of the few things that both games and the anime all have in common.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the game seemed to want me to do a NG+ cycle to max out everybody's T levels and maybe get an alternate ending? how worth it is all of that

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

cheetah7071 posted:

the game seemed to want me to do a NG+ cycle to max out everybody's T levels and maybe get an alternate ending? how worth it is all of that

I've not beaten the game yet but I remember someone in the thread saying that there was an extra scene in NG+ but it was about three seconds long.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

Not unless you want the trophies or anything, there's an extra scene at the end of Ao turning up in the new world instead of being stuck in the closed time loop and whoever you talked to in the end sequence looking surprised/happy and that's it, 3 seconds was no exaggeration.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Wild Arms 2 is just a Toku Story

I don't remember a whole lot about WA2, even the bad translation just kind of washed off my brain when I played it. But I do remember that the moment it becomes a toku story it whips rear end and that momentum basically just kept me going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
BR2 overexplains itself a few times but I wasn't as bothered by the overarching story as I thought I would be seeing how it was described here. As far as it goes, it's mostly about Ao, the obvious implication that things won't go as well for her as it will for the others, and the emotional impact of her finding her resolve. It's similar to the first game there. That part works for me, so I don't mind if it's a little convoluted. Could have been simplified still, I expect. But I'd also say that the game really didn't disappoint me at any point, so I can't call it anything other than a 10/10. Lots of flaws, but it was also exactly what I wanted in the important ways.