Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

What are you wrong about this time?

Her desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Lol

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

air- posted:

A company just asked me to do a one way video interview as the first step of their hiring process :fuckoff:

https://support.sparkhire.com/hc/en-us/articles/234894187-What-is-a-One-Way-Interview-

Perfect moment to use swap.avi.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Now there's a thread title change I can get behind.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Yes please

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Crazy CISO update: She is fired.

CEO reached out to me today to disable her accounts. I am now the companies only infosec employee. It felt so good. CTO called me celebrate after.

Packcheck status: indefinite.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

God drat man. Congrats? Either way, should be way less stress.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sickening posted:

:siren: KABOOM :siren:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

CEO reached out to me today to disable her accounts. I am now the companies only infosec employee. It felt so good. CTO called me celebrate after.

Amazing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

What a good thread story this has been.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm shocked, shocked I say.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

:rubby:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sickening posted:

Was this due to her involvement with the other company that she said she wasn't involved in?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Now this is what playing politics effectively- and a thorough lack of giving a gently caress - can do for you!

Very well done.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao hell yea. Wait a second…Elizabeth Holmes took the stand last week.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lmao hell yea. Wait a second…Elizabeth Holmes took the stand last week.

lol please don't dox Sickening

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Sickening posted:

Bravo and well done, how long until you're CISO now?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone here use Rackware? I'm starting to take on responsibilities for our implementation of their DR software and the web GUI is amazingly dogshit so I'm trying to figure out how to do more work on it through a ssh session. The other guy who works with it says that Rackware is incredibly stingy with their documentation and he has less Linux knowledge than I do so I'm not sure where to start.

The web GUI is so bad that if you start loading something on one tab and switch over to another tab it will never finish loading. Completely at random it will throw up an error page saying that the installation is incomplete and it won't go away until you refresh the page. Sometimes it will take 45 seconds to log in, sometimes 3. Sometimes it will decide that there are actually zero servers inventoried until you log out and back in.

Vulture Culture posted:

Hey. If you've messaged me in the past few months about any resume or career stuff and I haven't gotten back to you, I've been spending a lot of the past few months trying to deal with the emotional baggage of some friends and their newly-developed pandemic drug habits, and the stress turned me into an unreliable, scattershot human in every area outside my day job. I think the situations have more or less normalized, so if you needed something from me and you didn't get it, PM me again.

I'm sorry, that's terrible. I found out that a family member is going to rehab for alcoholism last week and I don't even interact with that family member much and it still hosed me up. I'll probably send you another PM here shortly with my most up to date resume since I need to start applying again.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 1, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm also available for resume support if desired.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Retrograde posted:

Bravo and well done, how long until you're CISO now?

Never. I am never going to be CISO for this company.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
What would your advice be on making an internal move to a very different part of the IT department internally and dealing with questions coming out of the old department?

I technically start tomorrow, but I'm on PTO since last Friday.
I've already had 3 calls which all could have been dealt with by checking documentation but it was easier to message me in the panic.

On the one hand I'm sympathetic that a big storm caused damage so these calls are an exception to the normal anyway, but just wonder what sort of precedent to set.

Also for context, I've not been replaced, new guy is awaiting clearance, I'm guessing once he is in, the phone stops ringing so I'm kinda happy to just help a little bit by just making suggestions here and there, I'm not actually doing anything (and don't intend to)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone that's moved groups where I've been at has had a formal transition period agreed upon where they dedicate some percentage of their time to the former group.

In practice it's not actually all that formal, people help when and where needed and over time they get called on less.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

angry armadillo posted:

What would your advice be on making an internal move to a very different part of the IT department internally and dealing with questions coming out of the old department?

I've already had 3 calls which all could have been dealt with by checking documentation but it was easier to message me in the panic.

On the one hand I'm sympathetic that a big storm caused damage so these calls are an exception to the normal anyway, but just wonder what sort of precedent to set.

Also for context, I've not been replaced, new guy is awaiting clearance, I'm guessing once he is in, the phone stops ringing so I'm kinda happy to just help a little bit by just making suggestions here and there, I'm not actually doing anything (and don't intend to)

How do YOU feel about it? Or your new manager?

If you're cool with helping out until New Guy gets clearance, then cool but make sure your new boss is also cool with it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

angry armadillo posted:

Usually the two managers would have hashed this out as a drop dead time where the old department isn't supposed to bother you after a few weeks or so. If it gets annoying tell your new manager, "hey the old department is constantly asking questions about my old position, what should the priority be? Should I work on your stuff first or...?" Which should give them the hint about old department taking up too much time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The formal route sounds like a good one. Personally, I'd just get slower and slower to respond with my excuse being that my new duties were keeping me busy. I find people lean on people when it's easy for them to do so and it can be hard to get people out of that habit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elizabeth Holmes would have been an upgrade. I will just leave it at that.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sickening posted:

Never. I am never going to be CISO for this company.

I bet you'll at least get the offer

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the person making crazy demands of the person managing azure resource groups and the person managing those azure resource groups have very very different jobs. the ability to be successful in the latter is rarely an asset in the former.

he's not going to get the offer

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Bonzo posted:

How do YOU feel about it? Or your new manager?

If you're cool with helping out until New Guy gets clearance, then cool but make sure your new boss is also cool with it.

Yeah it's a bit weird - I was made to do 3 months notice without too much discussion around it. It was kind of just accepted I do my notice and no one said, but it's internal which I assume is not normal?

Old boss mentioned he's asked new boss if he minds them calling me from time to time and apparently he said OK. I'm spending the day with new boss tomorrow so I guess my plan is to gauge his views on it.

I don't really have a gauge of my new job workload yet so I'm winging it a bit.

In my mind new job comes first but I'll do my best to help if I can and then reasses when replacement turns up.

The Iron Rose posted:

the person making crazy demands of the person managing azure resource groups and the person managing those azure resource groups have very very different jobs. the ability to be successful in the latter is rarely an asset in the former.

he's not going to get the offer

Arguably the guy managing those resources has been quite articulate in describing the issues with management, (certainly here) which one might suggest is part of the required skillset.

I'd certainly agree with you when applying that logic to a large corporation but in a small company, which is my impression of the situation(?) The lines are perhaps more easy to blur?

I'm saying it wouldn't be a totally out of the blue question if it is the next chapter of the story

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 1, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like it might come down to whether the CEO or board (assuming there is one) feel like they need someone with the CISO title to impress customers. Kind of like how some places everybody in sales is a VP. I have worked places where the only infosec person was the CISO, and I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of it was having a big title to swing at vendors for situations like "Oh you'll need to disable UAC for our software to run."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

Now you can't battle her at the Christmas party. :mad:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

Congrats. The fact that it was taking so long made me wonder if they weren’t trying to get rid of you instead.

The CTO calling you to celebrate makes me think they’ll offer you the role. Or they waited so long to fire her because they wanted a replacement lined up first.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could just be they needed to get their legal ducks in a row.

Anyway, congrats on surviving the crazy CISO, enjoy double paycheck days.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

What was the last straw that got it done?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ASAPRockySituation posted:

What was the last straw that got it done?

The ceo basically started fact checking every thing she would tell him and realized 90% of it was made up bullshit. Also there was an employee uprising (that I might have unintentionally started) where everyone that ever has regularly interacted with her wrote a testimonial to complain. Mostly nothing was getting done because she wanted every change to go through her but then she would never get around to actually approving or denying anything.

In the half day we have had with her gone, we have had more work being done than the previous 2 months. I woke up this morning knowing I will never have to speak to her again and let me tell you, I feel physically healthier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's quite impressive that a side gig that you aren't that bothered about keeping could still have that sort of impact on your health

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It's quite impressive that a side gig that you aren't that bothered about keeping could still have that sort of impact on your health

I was paid to listen to her ramble and get angry. I wasn't actually paid to do much else. It slowly wears you down in ways you maybe don't expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am trying some new gizmo that is supposed to auth against LDAP and pull group info. Some piece of poo poo code has been giving me this error all afternoon and I couldn't figure out why:
code:
{testuser:***@172.16.16.1:60558 []}: authn #2 returned error: Label groups is missing 'attribute' to map from
Went to the kitchen to scream / acquire sustenance and took one more look at the config file for this thing…

:bang: