Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand, there's an argument to be made that maybe troops shouldn't be unloading during combat, regardless of the circumstances that bumped up its attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, there's an argument to be made that maybe troops shouldn't be unloading during combat, regardless of the circumstances that bumped up its attention.

Well yes, but the point was it had been complained about for a long while before, and that the mechanic lasted until Johan was personally affected by it, and that as soon as he was, it was fixed.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I can remember another example of the dev clash balancing. When the devastation mechanic was put into the game it was tuned to build up much more quickly, but the dev clash that preceded the mechanic was an India thunderdome and it rapidly turned into twenty Swedes all trying to repeat the Thirty Years War on each other. Northern India was completely poo poo housed by the time the wars ended because, obviously, no one is going to surrender in a dev clash. Afterwards, India was so trashed the devs decided that devastation wasn't fun when the territory is ruined for decades just because twenty different players went full scorched earth on each other. Then the mechanic was implemented in such a way that it's essentially toothless no matter how much you allow your country to be ruined by the enemy.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I remember there being an exploit where you can abuse buying ships in one province up to your loan limit then splitting off into a vassal state with less ports so you can cancel building the ships and get many times the amount of money back, since you are at that point way over the force limit.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
EU2 had the most of it, virtually every patch was either driven by EU2 MP games or had at least a few notes from them. Some of the specific EU4 examples I remember are when Bohemia was invaded and completely owned by a coalition, so took out tons of loans and gave them out to nearby countries, which you can't do anymore as a result; the time where .. Groogy, I think? (Sorry if I'm misremembering this Groogs!) was playing Byzantium and just completely ignored AE because his expansion was more worthwhile, so they added the arbitrary events that activate immediately after getting past 100%. Couple others if you want me to dig but I'm lazy. It's pretty well known and funny, but more realistically shows the games aren't really balanced for anything besides content patches today.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
Its not as if our dev teams sit around and ignore bugs and complaints. There are huge backlogs of reported bugs on all games that has become rather hard to permanently reduce. When developers are on bugfixing, there tend to be one of the following things happening.

- bugs related to features for the next update is highest priority.
- bugs related together that a GD or producer priorities.
- something the developer noticed in the code, or by playing and is a simple 1-line fix, like blocking unloading in combat.
- “low hanging fruit” ie, lots of easy and simple fixes a QA or producer have identified as such, and are handled in focus days.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

Its not as if our dev teams sit around and ignore bugs and complaints. There are huge backlogs of reported bugs on all games that has become rather hard to permanently reduce. When developers are on bugfixing, there tend to be one of the following things happening.

- something the developer noticed in the code, or by playing and is a simple 1-line fix, like blocking unloading in combat.
- “low hanging fruit” ie, lots of easy and simple fixes a QA or producer have identified as such, and are handled in focus days.

I don't think any of us are accusing you or any other dev of anything nefarious or neglectful. It was more of an amusing observation of how some bugs move to the top of the list by being personally experienced by a dev. And troops being able to unload during combat was dumb and I'm glad it got fixed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weren't the events always there after hitting 100? Back in the day you had the badboy limit and you'd get flooded with terrible events if you passed it

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pdxjohan posted:

Maybe it's not "fair" but if there's a pothole in the road leading to the road repair department's HQ, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets fixed a little faster than normal.

If developers are working through priority issues at a good pace, and one of them knocks out a bug they personally care about on a Friday before heading out, then that's just a perk of the job.

I'm sure software projects would be easier to plan if it was just like an assembly line and you could just send a laptop down a conveyor belt flanked by programmers, but until that happens, sometimes tickets are gonna get fixed out of order.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

people used to get upset about balance changes that emerged from dev MP games which seemed like they weren't considered in the context of single-player very thoroughly, not bug fixes. honestly that only happened a few times tho and it was many years ago - late EU3 or early EU4, at the latest

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

pdxjohan posted:

Open source old game code like hoi2 or ck1 y/n? If I say pretty please?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Some details on playing as a reactionary Russia and unified Canada

VostokProgram posted:

Open source old game code like hoi2 or ck1 y/n? If I say pretty please?

bothering johan about unrelated topics above his pay grade is just gonna make him post less

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

Some details on playing as a reactionary Russia and unified Canada

That was a pretty fascinating read. Also good to have confirmation on something that I asked Wiz about in this thread earlier, Canada and Australia are starting out as collections of separate colonies rather than being unified at game start.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

Destroy the source of old game code like hoi2 or ck1 y? If I say pretty please?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1465304544817164290

If any of you got requests but don't like twitter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CK1 was a salvage job after some russian deg crashed and burned. I imagine its source code being radium-tier. Load-bearing blyats.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Groogy posted:

Bit of music?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Arbite posted:

Bit of music?

it better be FaLaLan performed by a full military band :colbert:

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Groogy posted:

the great state of california!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Groogy posted:

The noble and industrious people of Jan Mayen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sad to hear Groogy is leaving Paradox. Hope the next project is great though.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Some kind of easter egg involving the sunken continent of Lemuria? It was an Victorian invention.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

Whatever you think will infuriate racists and Nazis the most. I trust you. :allears:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DrSunshine posted:

Whatever you think will infuriate racists and Nazis the most. I trust you. :allears:

Ah, so the thriving, multicultural nation of Gay Black Palestisrael that's a releasable from the Ottomans

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Groogy posted:

show me the gibraltar culture wheel, groog man.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ItohRespectArmy posted:

show me the gibraltar culture wheel, groog man.

seconded, also class wheel

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

I got just the thing...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Will Paradox be able to outperform recent Games Workshop horrible intolerance towards poor persecuted harmless Nazis? Sure hope so.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Let me introduce you all to "rear end".

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1465666926705848331

Pretty happy with this being my last teaser for Paradox.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

oh my loving god

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Groogy posted:

lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011
Getting murdered by the forums just before you leave is a bold move Groogy and I respect it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thank u 4 ur service Groogy
:ussr:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Groogy posted:

Groogy posted:

I got just the thing...

Perfect. Perfect in every way

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

nice rear end

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

nice rear end

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

nice rear end

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

nice rear end

My favorite flag is the one that has a hammer and...wheat? Instead of a hammer and sickle.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Hellioning posted:

My favorite flag is the one that has a hammer and...wheat? Instead of a hammer and sickle.

In Soviet Australia wheat harvests you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I saw it as a big ol' fat hypodermic syringe, the kind you'd use on livestock. Farm Veterinarians and Workers unite!