Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Rosalind posted:

I don't know. I'm not a legal expert.

This obsession with jurisprudence is unhealthy. A republic should enforce the general will regardless of what laws were previously made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rosalind posted:

I don't know. I'm not a legal expert. I just know that misinformation has been one of the biggest issues of this pandemic and that regulatory frameworks have been proposed on how to fight it specifically around feed algorithms. How do you propose we fight misinformation?

I've never claimed misinformation is a problem.

Not locking down, not looking at countries that have proven to defeat COVID-19 like China and following their lead is the problem. Misinformation is a drop in the bucket of an issue compared to people in power failing to do the obvious thing to stop the pandemic that is on track to kill a million Americans.

COVID zero is the only rational decision in my mind.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Decisionmakers of social media companies should be tried in The Hague for crimes against humanity. Maybe not necessarily for failing to address the subject matter of the bad poo poo being spread (provided there is a reasonable doubt if their failure to moderate was malicious based on the information available), but for engineering their platforms in such a manner that that allows it to spread in the first place.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Vasukhani posted:

This obsession with jurisprudence is unhealthy. A republic should enforce the general will regardless of what laws were previously made.

Excuse me if I lose my temper for a moment. This is my problem with this thread. I try to move the discussion forward off the "Everything is terrible. We need full China lockdowns now even if it causes Civil War 2" spiral that we constantly get into only to get 3-4 people reading everything I'm saying in the most bad faith way possible and then doing these lovely stupid hyperbolic circlejerk takes about it endlessly until people who haven't followed the whole discussion think I called for like a complete government takeover of every human brain on earth using microchips or something.

It's loving exhausting and annoying as hell to be honest. It derails any sincere discussion in this thread to constantly feel like every single post I make has to be so carefully worded as to not open any possible line for bad faith interpretations from a handful of shitbags who are just here to troll and shitpost. I get that this is a dead comedy forum, but holy moly why can't we contain that sort of thing to the GBS thread or wherever?

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 30, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

If you don't have anything more than this sort of fantasy worlds theorycrafting that ignores the question you're responding to to contribute, reconsider responding at all.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Rosalind posted:

Rather than saying "the federal government hosed this up big time" for the zillionth time, it might be helpful to start identifying specific failures we made along the way and how they could be resolved in the future.

This was a cool post and I enjoyed reading it. If people are posting regularly that covid is too politicized to do anything or that the weird way Trump forced the government to respond with the states taking the lead is in fact the only way it could have gone, then just admitting that federal government policy favor caused this disaster is useful. At least I'd hope for some kind of reform after million+ dead.

How come you don't mention creating a mass testing infrastructure? China has used that extensively to great effect. A passport system that required regular tests, paying out a 100 bucks each, or a short quarantine with repeated testing and enforced hotel rooms for positives seen like great ways to try and reduce transmission. Do people in your field talk about China's massive scale testing as a realistic option?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

a_pineapple posted:

Decisionmakers of social media companies should be tried in The Hague for crimes against humanity. Maybe not necessarily for failing to address the subject matter of the bad poo poo being spread (provided there is a reasonable doubt if their failure to moderate was malicious based on the information available), but for engineering their platforms in such a manner that that allows it to spread in the first place.

The various behind the bastards episodes on Zuck and Facebook are very... illuminating. I have some sympathy for a lot of the employees below him (especially the integrity division lol rip) but in addition to backing The Algorithm's single minded focus on engagement, pretty much every time Zuckerberg has personally intervened in an issue he's done it for evil ends.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Platystemon posted:

Vaccines are like “eat your Wheaties with milk to build strong bones”.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hierarchy/default.html

Of course covid is still around. Why has nobody tried substituting it? Skipping such a step is bad form.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Rosalind posted:

a complete government takeover of every human brain on earth using microchips or something.

a better world is possible, you're just being blinded by christianity. Can you actually explain why this would be bad?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Basically yeah. Lockdown doesn't mean no one goes anywhere ever and starves to death. When China put guards on apartment buildings those guards left their homes (to go guard somewhere), the food delivery people getting food to quarantined residents left their homes. You don't need a completely hermetically sealed society with zero spread ever, you just need each infected person to spread it to less than one person on average, then every day brings fewer cases than the day before and you use testing and contact tracing to narrow down quarantines to networks of infected people that can be locked down.

Sorry for the aggro, it's just the same argument we've been hearing from chuds since day 1 ("oh I can't go to the hairdresser but I can go to the grocery store? So liberals think they magically can't get covid at Whole Foods?" "oh vaccinated people can spread well then vaccines are useless, take that Fauci") except the neolib version of that: if you can't shut down everything because we'll all starve then no point in shutting down anything.

It's just massively disingenuous and after 18 months I'm tired of it. The world isn't black and white and all or nothing. Especially not statistical processes like disease spread that are aggregate results of millions of individual events and not a single Pandemic On/Pandemic Off switch.

No, it's not the same argument, and it's not "massively disingenuous" and I don't care how tired you are of hearing it. I never made any of the claims you're whining about now, it's just another strawman because never back down, never play defense, always double down. You just ignored all the logistical issues I brought up because they don't have easy answers. Rather than admitting that, you made it personal.

Why are you apologizing to the mod? You were lovely to me.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

Of course covid is still around. Why has nobody tried substituting it? Skipping such a step is bad form.

substition would be replacing grocery stores with delivered food. I get that the US doesn't have the capability for that like more advanced places though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

The world isn't black and white and all or nothing.

Though it is, apparently, just the United States and China.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalind posted:

Excuse me if I lose my temper for a moment. This is my problem with this thread. I try to move the discussion forward off the "Everything is terrible. We need full China lockdowns now even if it causes Civil War 2" spiral that we constantly get into only to get 3-4 people reading everything I'm saying in the most bad faith way possible and then doing these lovely stupid hyperbolic circlejerk takes about it endlessly until people who haven't followed the whole discussion think I called for like a complete government takeover of every human brain on earth using microchips or something.

It's loving exhausting and annoying as hell to be honest. It derails any sincere discussion in this thread to constantly feel like every single post I make has to be so carefully worded as to not open any possible line for bad faith interpretations from a handful of shitbags who are just here to troll and shitpost. I get that this is a dead comedy forum, but holy moly why can't we contain that sort of thing to the GBS thread or wherever?

They are attacking you because you're an expert and have a realistic outlook informed by knowledge and experience. Don't let it get to you. The rest of us find your contributions valuable. :)

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The various behind the bastards episodes on Zuck and Facebook are very... illuminating. I have some sympathy for a lot of the employees below him (especially the integrity division lol rip) but in addition to backing The Algorithm's single minded focus on engagement, pretty much every time Zuckerberg has personally intervened in an issue he's done it for evil ends.

Yes, that episode really wrapped it all up in a nice neat package. I've spent a fair amount of time since I've had not much else better to do at home for the last two years trying to get a variety of perspectives about stuff to make sure I'm not getting stuck in an echo chamber, which led me down the path of trying to understand the dynamics of how people interact on this stupid loving internet to better communicate, and always had this underlying feeling that everything in the last decade or so has just been kind of broken. Then this episode dropped and it was an AH HA moment.

But I digress. COVID bad.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lockdowns are good
lockdowns are great
trend to zero COVID as of this date!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Vasukhani posted:

a better world is possible, you're just being blinded by christianity. Can you actually explain why this would be bad?

Every human is an accident, a twig on the tree of life, an animal which can barely be called sentient or self-aware. If our lives have any meaning, it is as part of the greater whole, which existed long before us and will exist long after we are gone. Those of us who are aware of this fact must step forward, to guide those who remain snugly wrapped in their illusions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vasukhani posted:

Have you *seen* what "the general will" of the US - or really just about any nation - is, and has been historically?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

No, it's not the same argument, and it's not "massively disingenuous" and I don't care how tired you are of hearing it. I never made any of the claims you're whining about now, it's just another strawman because never back down, never play defense, always double down. You just ignored all the logistical issues I brought up because they don't have easy answers. Rather than admitting that, you made it personal.

You've dealt with this kind of "always double down" alt right argument style a lot on this something awful website? Do you think it's had an impact on your own posting?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Even in your insane hypothetical, who do you think flies the jets? You think the chud pilots of the most insanely religious conservative branch of the armed forces is going to just say "yes, sir" and level the Florida governor's mansion? Get a grip.

This is probably the biggest most glaring problem revealed so far by the pandemic: police (especially) and armed forces are significantly populated by rightwingers, and leftists are supremely uninterested in joining up. This means ultimately you're leaving the execution of laws in the hands of those who most disagree with them and are more and more vocally refusing to enforce them, especially in rural areas (witness all the cops who are coining a new definition of sheriff that is just sovereign citizen bullshit with the gold fringe cut off and pretty much declaring themselves their own private fiefdom). What do you do when the executive branch loses control of the executors? Especially when that and the legislative branch depends on those same executors to defend and protect them?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 30, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

They are attacking you because you're an expert and have a realistic outlook informed by knowledge and experience. Don't let it get to you. The rest of us find your contributions valuable. :)

Those realistic outlooks got us into this. Only firm action will get us out.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Elea posted:

This was a cool post and I enjoyed reading it. If people are posting regularly that covid is too politicized to do anything or that the weird way Trump forced the government to respond with the states taking the lead is in fact the only way it could have gone, then just admitting that federal government policy favor caused this disaster is useful. At least I'd hope for some kind of reform after million+ dead.

How come you don't mention creating a mass testing infrastructure? China has used that extensively to great effect. A passport system that required regular tests, paying out a 100 bucks each, or a short quarantine with repeated testing and enforced hotel rooms for positives seen like great ways to try and reduce transmission. Do people in your field talk about China's massive scale testing as a realistic option?

Oh man I totally spaced on how much we hosed up testing early on! It was such a debacle because the coronavirus task force completely took it for granted and then floundered for weeks when they ran into problems with the test they developed.

I too would like to see some of the enhancements you're suggesting such as required regular testing. With rapid testing now widely available, it would be awesome if there were people setup everywhere lots of people go--concerts, public transit stations, grocery stores, etc.--offering 20 minute rapid tests for free. I think massive scale testing is very feasible and at least many public health experts in NYC see it as one of our most effective interventions (besides vaccination) right now.

NYC is getting there. I know many workplaces here are starting up random testing programs for vaccinated employees while all of Broadway is required to get multiple tests each week. Plus go to any major street in Manhattan and on nearly every corner there's a tent offering testing. They're mostly PCR tests right now and there's a bit more friction than I would like due to them having to get all your insurance info, but it's a start.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of my friends finished her PhD in medical sociology in 2018 or so and declined to join the CDC due to the indefinite hiring freeze and also the demoralization of her contacts there. Her masters work with the CDC was on how to improve compliance with CDC and other medical professional recommendations regarding a deadly and contagious respiratory illness.

:negative:

God drat. This is some O.Henry poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

Those realistic outlooks got us into this. Only firm action will get us out.

Well drat, I guess if we don't have to accept the reality of the world we live in, I'm going to suggest time travel as a means of stopping Covid.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Well drat, I guess if we don't have to accept the reality of the world we live in, I'm going to suggest time travel as a means of stopping Covid.

What a terribly bleak outlook when other countries have defeated covid.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

quote:

Oh man I totally spaced on how much we hosed up testing early on! It was such a debacle because the coronavirus task force completely took it for granted and then floundered for weeks when they ran into problems with the test they developed.

I too would like to see some of the enhancements you're suggesting such as required regular testing. With rapid testing now widely available, it would be awesome if there were people setup everywhere lots of people go--concerts, public transit stations, grocery stores, etc.--offering 20 minute rapid tests for free. I think massive scale testing is very feasible and at least many public health experts in NYC see it as one of our most effective interventions (besides vaccination) right now.

NYC is getting there. I know many workplaces here are starting up random testing programs for vaccinated employees while all of Broadway is required to get multiple tests each week. Plus go to any major street in Manhattan and on nearly every corner there's a tent offering testing. They're mostly PCR tests right now and there's a bit more friction than I would like due to them having to get all your insurance info, but it's a start.

Yeah, testing is one thing that it seems like very, very few countries did a great job on, and maybe I'm missing something, but it seems pretty straightforward and relatively cheap? (not free for sure, but a hell of a lot cheaper than an ICU covid patient or paying people $2000 a month while they're locked down).

It seems like it would have been an absolute home run to just ship twice weekly tests (or more) to every household - hell, maybe there'd be some way to make it generate a secure code thing and we could treat it like we do vaccine passports to go to restaurants and things like that. Antigen is fine for asymptomatic screening - sure it's not terribly accurate, but there's no such thing as a perfect measure, and if it cuts the amount of positive cases out on the street down by a significant amount it's as good as anything else we were doing in 2020.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

What a terribly bleak outlook when other countries have defeated covid.

The point is that if you're offering solutions like "bomb florida" and "destroy christianity" then you might as well be wishing for a magic unicorn to come and save you from Covid. I would prefer people discuss strategies and policies that might actually be doable rather than wishing for a benevolent dictator to come and save them. A couple of things I've mentioned before would be using something like the Defense Production Act to manufacture and distribute high quality N95 or equivalent masks to everyone in the US, or a federal jobs program for contact tracers. Those are things that could be done by the current government if it were actually taking Covid seriously.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Honestly I just don't know what the gently caress you do when 30% of your country refuses to get vaccinated or take any precautions at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Well rather than do this tiresome "I didn't say that" song and dance why don't you just lay out what you are asserting directly.

Let's start with your first point.

Yes/no: do you honestly think that suspending all food production is necessary for an effective lockdown?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

a_pineapple posted:

Yes, that episode really wrapped it all up in a nice neat package. I've spent a fair amount of time since I've had not much else better to do at home for the last two years trying to get a variety of perspectives about stuff to make sure I'm not getting stuck in an echo chamber, which led me down the path of trying to understand the dynamics of how people interact on this stupid loving internet to better communicate, and always had this underlying feeling that everything in the last decade or so has just been kind of broken. Then this episode dropped and it was an AH HA moment.

But I digress. COVID bad.

What did the episode say?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

... highly reasonable points ...

It's sad that even these steps seem to be on the level as time travel or unicorn magic.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Alctel posted:

Honestly I just don't know what the gently caress you do when 30% of your country refuses to get vaccinated or take any precautions at all.

Prepare for the worst, take what precautions you can to survive it, look for opportunities to help avert the worst scenarios.

But mostly
https://youtu.be/c55PtTyvfE4

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
One of the lovely things about covid is that it should've created material conditions that empowered the left but the left had to hide from the virus while the right ran wild

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wang Commander posted:

What did the episode say?

I kinda halfway touched on it but I assume they're talking about the two parter where they discuss the recent big ol Facebook leaks. Basically, it was a deeper dive into how Facebook only really cares about engagement (read: posts that make you angry or frightened or fascist) and how the company's internal structure protects the worst actors from being deplatformed. In the covid context, this means absolutely massive boosting of far right misinformation and "masks are an assault on are freedoms" and such.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Wtf does it say about people that that is what seemingly universally drives engagement anyway

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Wang Commander posted:

One of the lovely things about covid is that it should've created material conditions that empowered the left but the left had to hide from the virus while the right ran wild

I dunno, I'm not sure if it's different in the states, but it's definitely increased the relative power of labour up here. There's rumblings for sure about expanding our temporary foreign worker program to address the "labour shortage" (read: the "people don't want to work garbage jobs for minimum wage" problem), and that would deflate things pretty fast, but at least at the moment, workers have more leverage than they have in a long time in a lot of industries.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Labor power is rising in the US too, but when you're starting from a position of "totally hosed" it'll probably take longer to see results.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I think labor power is not the most leftist thing when it's being used to protest vaccine mandates etc as much as anything else. It's heavily coopted by the right in the US

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

A socially progressive movement at least briefly sparked with the tear down the statues/BLM marches. It didn't have to be a silence from the economic left. There was apparently possibilities for a non-rightwing movement to organize during covid.

There seems to be a lot of decentralized worker revolt stuff happening, like restaurants closing with 'no one wants to work" signs, but no one really seems to be reaching out to them in any big organized way. Like no big existing unions seem to be teaming up with them or anything like that. It feels like people 'hiding' could make a zoom call or come in their big fancy masks or something.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tarezax posted:

Labor power is rising in the US too, but when you're starting from a position of "totally hosed" it'll probably take longer to see results.

The problem is the Right has kind of seized a lot of the culture of our labour unions here (mainly due to anti-communism pushing out all the actual socialists), so while the Teacher's union and a few others are Left many of the industrial unions are not, and are chuddy as gently caress. A LOT of manufacturing folks around here in MI in the labor unions are Trumpy as hell.

I'm not sure if it's a unique problem to the states though.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wang Commander posted:

The pandemic did indeed create those material conditions but the left has spent it hiding from the working class