Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe an intermittent ground problem or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Does the car have any other issues?

Overvoltage can pop bulbs pretty easily as well.

What brand of bulbs are you using?

Also, when you say gloves - note that he did say disposable gloves. Unclean gloves can also cause the same issue as bare hands.

Yea, I use nitriles.

I don't recall the brands off the top of my head, this has been going on for a few years. I don't think i've ever specified when I call in my order.

Edit: And no other problems really. The fuel pump died last year and we got that replaced. That's about it. I can check the voltage when I replace the bulb I suppose.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Not knowing what's causing the bulbs to burn out so fast, it is entirely possible going solid state will solve the issue.

And cause another issue: blinding oncoming drivers because you jammed LED bulbs into enclosures not designed for them.

Don't do that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

opengl128 posted:

And cause another issue: blinding oncoming drivers because you jammed LED bulbs into enclosures not designed for them.

Don't do that.

It's almost like my original question was looking for some resources that can help me avoid that!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Yea, I use nitriles.

I don't recall the brands off the top of my head, this has been going on for a few years. I don't think i've ever specified when I call in my order.

Edit: And no other problems really. The fuel pump died last year and we got that replaced. That's about it. I can check the voltage when I replace the bulb I suppose.

Do you get moisture into that housing?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Do you get moisture into that housing?

When I first noticed how fast these bulbs were going, I checked a few times. Especially on rather humid days or rainy weeks. And no, i've not seen any moisture in the housing.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Seeing as you've checked for moisture and are using clean gloves, and don't have any other problems, have you checked for cracks in the plastic housing, or loose bolts causing excessive vibration? I'd also inspect the wires around the headlights to make sure they are properly sheathed and not rubbing against metal anywhere.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

CainFortea posted:

My wife's 2013 honda fit goes through headlights like candy. I'm replacing one of them 4 times a year or more.

Just to clarify, youre replacing one bulb 4 times a year (like just the left side) or youre replacing throughout the year, either side, so 4 bulbs total?

One side would indicate something. Check the socket they plug into. I had a Mazda3 that ended up with a rusty socket I didnt notice at first. The bulb would appear to die, removing and plugging in a new bulb would scrape away rust and get a good connection, then a few months later the rust would make it go bad again.

4 total between both sides, might depend how much your driving with them on and what brand youve been using. Cheap ones like Silverstar basics are often rated for something like 150 hours. 1 hour a day would get you 4 replacements a year.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's both bulbs, not just one side.

I'll check for loose bolts.

And yea, when I check the voltage i'll check the connectors for rust.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Make 'Don't put LED bulbs in your non LED headlights' the background text of AI

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CainFortea posted:

I've looked into getting LED bulbs, but there's some blogs and such out there basically saying that the light quality would be terrible, unless you're lucky.

Is this someone just blogging for clicks? Is there a resource that can tell me if I need to replace the entire assembly if I want to move to LED lights on that car, or there are lights that can work in that car?

The short version of why you can't just install different bulbs is optics. Every bulb produces light in different patterns. A standard halogen bulb has a filament that glows, xenon/HID bulbs have an arc, and LEDs have one or more LED modules. The reflectors and/or projectors are designed around the light sources they came with and will produce unpredictable results when used with the wrong light sources.

If you want to change lighting technology the right way, you have to change the optics. That means OEM-spec upgrade, high-quality aftermarket, or a custom projector retrofit.

All that said though, everyone else is right that if changing bulb tech "solved" this problem it'd be either pure coincidence or the different tech hiding the real fault.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

wolrah posted:

The short version of why you can't just install different bulbs is optics. Every bulb produces light in different patterns. A standard halogen bulb has a filament that glows, xenon/HID bulbs have an arc, and LEDs have one or more LED modules. The reflectors and/or projectors are designed around the light sources they came with and will produce unpredictable results when used with the wrong light sources.

If you want to change lighting technology the right way, you have to change the optics. That means OEM-spec upgrade, high-quality aftermarket, or a custom projector retrofit.

All that said though, everyone else is right that if changing bulb tech "solved" this problem it'd be either pure coincidence or the different tech hiding the real fault.

Yea, that's what i've seen in the articles i've read. But i've also seen those same articles say sometimes it does work. But they dont't list any combos that do work, that was why I was asking if there was a resource that does list combos that are known to work.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema posted:

2014 Ford Transit Connect - 2.5L engine with (I think based on Wikipedia) the 6F-35 six speed auto trans. Transmission behavior question; symptoms are:

- Hard 2-3 shift. Feels like it "hangs" at the top of 2nd and drops into 3rd with a lurch. Happens at low, medium, and high throttle. Seems like low and high throttle are the smoothest, with medium throttle shifts the most harsh.
- "Dip" in RPM going through 3rd at low/medium throttle. Happens around 3k RPM at medium throttle. Watching the tach you can see the rpm increasing until just past 3k where it dips a couple hundred rpm and then rises again. Almost like if you'd slipped the clutch in a manual trans a bit. Doesn't happen at full throttle.
- Lag in selecting reverse. On cold startup if you drop it into reverse right away and let off the brake nothing happens and then it bangs into reverse. Happens when warm too, just not as severe.
- Will bang a double-gear downshift on the highway. If you're doing ~70mph and have cruise control engaged, when you start to climb an incline steep enough to cause a 2 or 3 gear downshift it BANGS into the gear. Single gear downshifts seem smooth enough.

I've read online that there are just some "issues" with the 6F-35 overall, but wondering if this behavior seems "normal" enough or if there's something I should be investigating with a service shop. For what it's worth we have had a trans fluid change done but it didn't change any behavior. Some of the symptoms feel like things you'd associate with low trans fluid, but I have to believe it was filled properly. Oh and there's no dipstick to check...

Thanks!

Got buried under LightChatTM, just wondering if anyone else had thoughts. I did find this - https://www.reddit.com/r/fordfusion/comments/gt8u4u/for_those_of_you_suffering_from_the_23_hard_shift/ ???

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

99 Ford Ranger, Manual trans if that matters.
I went to start it last night. It was a bit cold (around 30) but not crazy.
It was cranking strongly, but not catching. Battery is reading 12V.
I gave it a full crank without the clutch down, turned it off, and then tried to start it again and it caught.

I'm gonna try and replicate that when I get home tonight, but is there anything I should be checking?

The battery terminals have a bunch of crystalization on them if that means anything

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

The battery terminals have a bunch of crystalization on them if that means anything

I believe this can be from a not-perfect connection to the terminals but I could be way off. Maybe start with neutralizing the acidic crystalization with baking soda+water and then cleaning the terminals (wire brush) and reconnect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CainFortea posted:

Yea, that's what i've seen in the articles i've read. But i've also seen those same articles say sometimes it does work. But they dont't list any combos that do work, that was why I was asking if there was a resource that does list combos that are known to work.
The reason such a list doesn't exist is because no one would ever put their time in to testing a bunch of "doing it wrong" options to determine which was least wrong. They're all still wrong. Don't do it.

For the record, the cases where it works "OK" are almost exclusively vehicles that have projectors designed for halogen bulbs. The nature of a projector makes them a lot more tolerant to fuckery because they fully enclose the light source and shape the low beam with a hard cutoff. You still usually won't get an ideal beam pattern but you usually won't be blasting light where it doesn't belong like what happens when you put the wrong bulbs in a reflector so it's not nearly as bad for other drivers as a "plug and play" setup in reflectors. There are still exceptions though, some projectors have "squirrel finders" that intentionally leak some light above the low beam cutoff to better illuminate signage outside of the primary beam, obviously that leakage pattern will have been designed with the intended light source in mind and will behave differently with something else.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

99 Ford Ranger, Manual trans if that matters.
I went to start it last night. It was a bit cold (around 30) but not crazy.
It was cranking strongly, but not catching. Battery is reading 12V.
I gave it a full crank without the clutch down, turned it off, and then tried to start it again and it caught.

I'm gonna try and replicate that when I get home tonight, but is there anything I should be checking?

If it's truly cranking hard and just not firing, that doesn't sound like a battery/cable/starter issue.

If this is intermittent this will be a royal pain to fix until it becomes consistent, but my first guess would be to check fuel pressure after it's been parked. Or if you don't have the tools for that, and it's reliably taking a long time to fire, try priming the fuel pump by turning the key to run, waiting five seconds, turning it off, and repeating that process two or three times before you attempt to start it. If going through that process makes it fire immediately every time, your fuel system is losing too much pressure while sitting which could be any of a number of issues.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

amenenema posted:

Got buried under LightChatTM, just wondering if anyone else had thoughts. I did find this - https://www.reddit.com/r/fordfusion/comments/gt8u4u/for_those_of_you_suffering_from_the_23_hard_shift/ ???

I would absolutely want to investigate the issue further. Ford had numerous issues with transmissions from that era, and it looks like the 6F35 is no exception. Ive only had personal experience with a 2013 Focus, but it definitely had similar symptoms and required major service even after the initial recall repair.

Id probably just go ahead and talk to a local Ford dealer about whats going on. Theyre really your only chance at getting a goodwill repair if repair is needed, and Im going to hazard a guess that something is indeed failing.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The rubber gasket/weather seal on my passenger side door is coming off. Does anyone have experience just supergluing it back on, or should I get this 3M weatherstrip adhesive I see recommended online?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, you should get the correct adhesive if you want it to stay in place.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
at least the correct *kind* of goop, superglue? come on. something tackier for sure

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The correct adhesive didn't work the first time or it wouldn't be coming off just put whatever you can find in your kitchen junk drawer on there and see how it goes

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's truly cranking hard and just not firing, that doesn't sound like a battery/cable/starter issue.

If this is intermittent this will be a royal pain to fix until it becomes consistent, but my first guess would be to check fuel pressure after it's been parked. Or if you don't have the tools for that, and it's reliably taking a long time to fire, try priming the fuel pump by turning the key to run, waiting five seconds, turning it off, and repeating that process two or three times before you attempt to start it. If going through that process makes it fire immediately every time, your fuel system is losing too much pressure while sitting which could be any of a number of issues.

This fixed it. Is anything easy to check myself that might be a culprit?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bird with big dick posted:

The correct adhesive didn't work the first time or it wouldn't be coming off just put whatever you can find in your kitchen junk drawer on there and see how it goes

Or the surface prep on the door flange, the actual weatherstrip, or both wasn't performed. Adhesives applied within their stated parameters don't typically fail. It's surface prep.

Use this after prep:

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

Or the surface prep on the door flange, the actual weatherstrip, or both wasn't performed. Adhesives applied within their stated parameters don't typically fail. It's surface prep.

Use this after prep:

tell me how this is better than the sticky rtv

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
How many miles are on this 2004 Lariat? 42,9k or 429k? I think based on the alignment that its 42k and the 1.5 is a different metric. Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it's 429,000 miles, that's 25,000 miles a year. That's not unbelievable for a work truck. What does the rest of the vehicle look like? Do you think it's more likely to be a work truck or a little old lady truck?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Sagebrush posted:

If it's 429,000 miles, that's 25,000 miles a year. That's not unbelievable for a work truck. What does the rest of the vehicle look like? Do you think it's more likely to be a work truck or a little old lady truck?

Immaculate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, here are a couple more pictures of the odometer in a 2004 F-150.

I don't think that it's a random extra two digit number just after the odometer. Maybe the first digit is glitched and it's actually a 1 with some stuck segments. Or maybe it really does have that many miles and they're all cruising on an empty highway all day long and it's just the one in a million high-mileage trucks that still looks great.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Pretty, pretty impressive. Thanks.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
I dont know where to start with this, but its a stupid question, so I will start here.

I have a company car (2019 Subaru Outback. 4000 miles). I have changed roles in my job and they will either (a) take the car away or (b) let me purchase it for 11k.

I live in an urban area and I do not need or want a car. I would be fine with giving the car back, but Im tempted to buy the car at 11k and re-sell it immediately. Carmax is quoting me 29k. Is this stupid? What am I missing? Is there a better approach? Thanks!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Officer Koala Fart posted:

What am I missing? Is there a better approach? Thanks!

Check with Carvana to see if they'll give you an even better price. I'm being quoted 28k by Carvana on a 40k mile 2019 Crosstrek so you should hopefully get more (depending on trim level)

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

luminalflux posted:

Check with Carvana to see if they'll give you an even better price. I'm being quoted 28k by Carvana on a 40k mile 2019 Crosstrek so you should hopefully get more (depending on trim level)

Awesome, thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
On the other hand if you have a lightly modified 2011 Mazda2 Carmax and Carvana are particularly uninterested lol.

Go get that money for the Subaru!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

This “fixed” it. Is anything easy to check myself that might be a culprit?

Assuming it's not pissing gas somewhere, and that otherwise it runs fine, there's a check valve somewhere in the fuel system that isn't doing its job. On my Wrangler this was part of the fuel pump. Other possibility would be fuel injector(s) leaking fuel after shutdown but that seems like it would also result in fueling issues while running.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

pnac attack posted:

tell me how this is better than the sticky rtv

I have used just about every kind of gasket adhesive over the past forty years. I swore by silicone RTV.

First off, unlike RTV, it's made specifically to bond weatherstrip to metal.

Much, much better control of application. It's thinner, and sticks like counter adhesive: Lay a thin bead, let it sit a few seconds, press in the gasket, and it'll hold without tape. If you have unusual bends or curves: Apply a thin bead, immediately press the gasket in place, pull it off, count to five, and press it back in again. It ain't movin.'

I'm never going back.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Officer Koala Fart posted:

I dont know where to start with this, but its a stupid question, so I will start here.

I have a company car (2019 Subaru Outback. 4000 miles). I have changed roles in my job and they will either (a) take the car away or (b) let me purchase it for 11k.

I live in an urban area and I do not need or want a car. I would be fine with giving the car back, but Im tempted to buy the car at 11k and re-sell it immediately. Carmax is quoting me 29k. Is this stupid? What am I missing? Is there a better approach? Thanks!

The leasing companies sell these for ridiculously below market value to employees. I think it saves them a ton of paperwork & labor?

At my last job (17-years & five company cars) when the car was ready for turn-back, I had right of first refusal for well below market. My last car with them, a 2018 Ford Flex, I could have bought out for $12K. At the time, same age & mileage, they retailed for $22K. I was tempted to do this but didn't have the free cash.

If you can, do it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

I have used just about every kind of gasket adhesive over the past forty years. I swore by silicone RTV.

First off, unlike RTV, it's made specifically to bond weatherstrip to metal.

Much, much better control of application. It's thinner, and sticks like counter adhesive: Lay a thin bead, let it sit a few seconds, press in the gasket, and it'll hold without tape. If you have unusual bends or curves: Apply a thin bead, immediately press the gasket in place, pull it off, count to five, and press it back in again. It ain't movin.'

I'm never going back.

Agreed. I've used it twice now, and it held the stripping bending in a 90 degree corner. It didn't come that way when I bought the truck and I was convinced I was going to have to miter it in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AFewBricksShy posted:

This fixed it. Is anything easy to check myself that might be a culprit?

I had a 1998 Ranger for a while and this started happening before two separate fuel pump failures about 5 years apart. Have you seen a check engine light coding for lean mixture yet?

It also happened when I had an ignition relay going bad, but the only way to fix it when it decided to fail (cold mornings resulting in condensation) was a bump start. Until I figured it out and just replaced the relay.

Come to think of it I also had a fuel pump fail on my 1993 F150 in a similar way. Every time it happened I got stranded in a really inconvenient place, like the bottom of an interstate off-ramp, in the grocery store parking lot, on the interstate in a desolate part of Arizona.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I just got into an accident where the other driver is seemingly entirely at fault. My car is still completely operable, but it is pretty old and it sustained some pretty bad cosmetic damage. I think there's a decent chance it gets totaled. Is it at all worth the hassle in NYS to keep driving a totaled car if the suspension, engine, and transmission are all unaffected?