Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They should let you filter matchmaking by disk type, just like input type. And then they might as well enable SSD filtering by default for SSD havers, anyone with any sense would turn it on immediately anyway. This would effectively segregate HDDs and SSDs and I effectively wouldn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
you should need an Xbox Experience Index of at least 6.0 in order to play Ranked

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
imagine if you got a score of 6.9

you'd never be able to upgrade again

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

this is an interesting subject because bushisms might be onto something as far as broad industry trends, but that being said i think it all had more to do with a lack of controller layout standardization in the early 00s and the general trend of making GBS threads out bad ports with no thought for adapting to interfaces. by the time we reached 2010 not only were there a fuckton more people using controllers on PC but you also find devs porting PC games to console and reworking their interfaces entirely to work smoothly (ie XCOM). nowadays it feels like bad controller support or bad menu design and integration is more of a rarity. i think of Diablo 2 Resurrected ofr example, where yeah the PC menu interface is still slightly more flexible and speedy, but the console controller shortcuts and overall controller interface design is well thought out and extremely comfortable and convenient. on some level i think this would've been unthinkable in 2005-2006.
I think people are forgetting the era when the same game on pc and console meant something different. Ubisoft was big on this with rainbow six and ghosts until the 360 blew up and they started trying to merge them. The spiderman 2 game was infamous for this as well.

For awhile after that, pc dev went by the way side for the big third party games while they focused on console. This was the era of bad company and the like.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Little late to the PC and controller discussion but I just want to say that it loving sucks on console when you move your joystick in a menu and that moves a cursor instead of moving between options. This was in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it was bullshit.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna try asking here. I have a controller that seems like it's not staying connected.

I've changed batteries, I updated the firmware, I even used a different controller and it stayed fine so its not the console.

Any ideas? I might just swap the controller with a different one because it's a limited color.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SpiderLink posted:

Little late to the PC and controller discussion but I just want to say that it loving sucks on console when you move your joystick in a menu and that moves a cursor instead of moving between options. This was in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it was bullshit.

true pain is trying to play kerbal space program on a controller

i bought it on xbone for the gently caress of it and, woof

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I get Microsoft's vision of everyone playing together but there needs to be a point where they say "no this isn't going to work out."

you'd think "prevents owners of a series console enjoying one of the biggest features of the console - the loading times" would be enough but here we are.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SpiderLink posted:

Idk if this works with other games but in far cry 6 the joystick moves a cursor around like a poor man’s mouse, but the d-pad snaps to the buttons like you would expect which is nice.

I think we can blame Destiny for popularizing thumb sticks as cursors.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

really bothers me when people claim poo poo like this, Arena and Daggerfall were extremely generic titles with size being the major selling point and Morrowind only got really "weird" because they wanted to use Star Wars as an inspiration, specifically the creature designs of Ralph Macquarrie. Oblivion was literally "dude, lord of the rings is so cool, we're doing THAT" and they did. Skyrim is absolutely a mix of the weird as poo poo and the generic selling point fantasy.

Arena had Argonians and Khajit, both of which were weird. They also had you recruit your companions from weird sleeping pods at the beginning of the game. Yeah, it was limited by the techonology of the time and wasn't Morrowind out there, but Morrowind is the high point in the series.

Elves were also all weird, dark elves weren't just evil elves, Orcs weren't just corrupted elves or weirdo evil rape monsters. Wild elves were... wild. Most of this comes out in the tiny dialogues, the lovely jokes, and all the other little things that happened in Arena that were unusual at the time of lore dumps being the book and you being referred to read paragraphs.

Daggerfall introduced the Aedra/Daedra and their weird lore, like Malacath being shat out by Boethiah. It also had several factions that weren't generic fantasy and had odd endings, like the King of Worms eating the magical mcguffin you were after, or the big scary battlemage everyone thought would be out for revenge just stealing his magic back from the artifact he created so he could finally die.

It also introduced the Dwemer, although I don't think we knew much about them other than that were steampunk type creators and extinct.

Battlespire was fairly generic, other than the lesser Daedra including things that looked downright angelic.

Redguard introduced most of the lore books, like the dragon break one, and that delved deeply into the strange.

Up until Oblivion, the ES had always been weird. Yeah, Morrowind is the high point, but Arena and Daggerfall being "extremely generic" really doesn't do their oddness justice. When literally every other fantasy everything was LOTR or D&D based (which is itself heavily LOTR based) the ES series departed very heavily.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oblivion has tons of weird enemies :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But if it doesn't crash every 15 minutes is it really even Daggerfall any more? :colbert:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Is it really Daggerfall if I don't take a month to clear out a random dungeon?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

But if it doesn't crash every 15 minutes is it really even Daggerfall any more? :colbert:

Yes because there is a mod for it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Let's not forget that up until Skyrim Elder Scrolls gave black people a penalty to intelligence.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Lammasu posted:

Let's not forget that up until Skyrim Elder Scrolls gave black people a penalty to intelligence.

And Willpower! Male Redguards also had lower personality...

Though at least in Oblivion you could make the other humans black.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally tried Maneater and it's... kinda great. I'm sure I'll get bored of it and would never have wanted to buy it, but Game Pass stays winning. Chris Parnell narrating really keeps the tone in a good place

e: Exo One was pretty cool, but as it went on it felt like it leaned more and more into being confusing at the expense of the game experience, like it was going for awe-inspiring but that kinda had diminishing returns after a while. Finished in under 2 hours but it still felt like the last 45 minutes dragged.

At one point I think I bugged something on the water planet and got completely launched into orbit outside the planet's atmosphere, that was pretty sweet... I kinda wanna watch speedrunners play around with it and break it

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 30, 2021

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MarcusSA posted:

Yes because there is a mod for it.

There's a mod that makes the game crash every 15 minutes for that authentic feel?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it’s called “Cyberpunk 2077”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bardeh posted:

imagine if you got a score of 6.9

you'd never be able to upgrade again

The good news is that was the maximum possible score. Nice.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish there was a way to filter out Xbox One players from Halo Infinite matches.

no it's not that, I was literally playing it on a base XBOne the other day because I didn't have access to my PC and it was still like several minutes of "Waiting for Other Players"
are people playing this game on their kitchen microwave or something

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would laugh if Halo was internally doing something similar to Daikatana, which was programmed in such a way that, at least in the early versions, client players wouldn't start to load the data until the host had 100% finished loading the data.

Halo: Infinite load time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Augus posted:

no it's not that, I was literally playing it on a base XBOne the other day because I didn't have access to my PC and it was still like several minutes of "Waiting for Other Players"
are people playing this game on their kitchen microwave or something

Isn't that kind of the issue the were highlighting though? Like, you (and probably a bunch of others) playing on a base Xbox one are the reason the wait is longer.

The problem with multiplayer right now is that there's all these cross play options but none of them filter out people who are taking forever to load. Even on PC only there could be other players loading it off a platter drive and adding 2 minutes to everyone else's wait time. Then on PS5 and Series, theres the issue of not that many people being able to find the drat things, which can lead to long wait times and partially empty games as well.

honestly it would be really nice if games would start to include an option to filter for current gen players only(IE PS5, Series X/S, PC with SSD) so there is a much larger install base to play with without having to wait for everyone else to load.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1465742428334342150

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Isn't that kind of the issue the were highlighting though? Like, you (and probably a bunch of others) playing on a base Xbox one are the reason the wait is longer.

if playing on a xbox one was the problem then I wouldn't have been waiting so long for other players to load, I would've mostly been waiting for my own loading to finish.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It would require a rethink of matchmaking and probably break some features that people like, but mixing HD speeds without waiting for some loser's HDD could work if map loading was desynchronized and players/parties weren't placed into a match until they're already done loading. I'm imagining a 2-step process where step 1 is the server assigning a map+mode for the player/party to load, then once that's done step 2 is actual match placement. Everyone's done loading before they get placed into the match, so other players' disk speeds are irrelevant. The match can start immediately as soon as it's full.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is there a remote play app for the xbox? like if I install it on my xbone I can remote play to my series x upstairs or whatever? Like on PS4 there's a remote play app that allows streaming my ps5, but I'm not finding the same thing for xbone.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Finster Dexter posted:

Is there a remote play app for the xbox? like if I install it on my xbone I can remote play to my series x upstairs or whatever? Like on PS4 there's a remote play app that allows streaming my ps5, but I'm not finding the same thing for xbone.

I think you just do it from the store page for each game.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/remote-play

You can remote play to a PC, phone, or tablet but not an Xbone at the moment. Just cloud gaming through Game Pass Ultimate for Xbone streaming for now

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Not buying games stays winning.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Augus posted:

if playing on a xbox one was the problem then I wouldn't have been waiting so long for other players to load, I would've mostly been waiting for my own loading to finish.

Wait what device exists that is slower than the og xbone? It’s absolutely gated on you even if it says it’s waiting on others.

Your Xbox has the wrong ram bro

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Looks like a perfect GamePass game for me. I love me some Aliens but wasn't going to pay full price for this one.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

beggar posted:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/remote-play

You can remote play to a PC, phone, or tablet but not an Xbone at the moment. Just cloud gaming through Game Pass Ultimate for Xbone streaming for now

I've been using cloud gaming on my One X to play FH5. At least I think I have been, I purposefully chose it a couple of weeks ago and have just been launching the game from the "recent" box on the home page. It boots up almost instantly and load times are tolerable until we convoy up and the One Ss have to load a map.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wait what device exists that is slower than the og xbone? It’s absolutely gated on you even if it says it’s waiting on others.

Your Xbox has the wrong ram bro

it has the perfect amount of ram

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ram my foot up your rear end!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aliens and Generation Zero: two games I probably wouldn't pay for at this point but might give a whirl now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wait what device exists that is slower than the og xbone?

A PC with 8 gigs of RAM that's running Windows 10 and the game off a fragmented 4900 rpm hard drive or something like that, probably.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tetris Effect review: this game is an amazing work of art and I hate it because I'm terrible at puzzle games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Tetris Effect review: this game is an amazing work of art and I hate it because I'm terrible at puzzle games.

Tetris Effect with headphones + OLED TV and a decent dose of magic mushrooms was a truly incredible experience.