Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

I bought a Breville Smart Oven Pro on the recommendation of this thread. It's 19L x 12H x 14D. New it's close to $300 but I saw several on Craigslist for $100ish. I think I paid $120.

I use it a lot. The start button sometimes take 3 or 4 presses to catch but other than that it's a great convection toaster oven.

Spray around the button with all purpose kitchen cleaner, it gets stuck a lot from grease in the air eventually accumulating there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

Are you sure about that? Our health inspector in Austin told us that cooked bacon was considered a shelf stable product that didn’t even need refrigeration. The USDA website considers cooked bacon shelf stable as long as it’s cooked to a .85 water activity, and gives the guideline of that level being reached if the cooked product weight has been reduced 40% or more from the raw weight.

I'm going by the 4 hour rule, though I'm sure it's safe to eat. I don't want anyone sicking a lawyer on me because they ate a roach-coach food truck, year-old mayo, and one piece of my bacon before getting sick and rushing to the ER.

Also, the bacon gets cool and the fat congeals, it's not as tasty and gets an odd texture. And that doesn't encourage people to buy my bacon.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there anything special about wok rings I should know (materials, brands, designs) before buying one or are they all basically the same? Mine didn't come with one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there's not much to them imo, just get whatever

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm also seeing cast iron ones that are more like a trivet (rather than plated steel with holes on the side).

I guess I could try them both and return one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a cast iron one designed for my range that meshes with the existing cast iron grates to hold everything in place. Would highly recommend if you can find one for your model.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
I'm looking to replace a couple of pots, specifically this one: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/hemlagad-pot-with-lid-black-00462213/, which I have right now in 3 and 5L. (Since it's non-stick predictably it's gone to poo poo after a couple of years, but otherwise was pretty good and cheap)

Is tri-ply worth it for pots this sorta size? Most of my meals I cook in these sort of pots end up being, very broadly, "fry some poo poo in the pan then add liquids after a while", and I'm wondering if tri-ply would be preferable for the first stage.

The reason I ask is I also cook pasta/rice/etc in these pots, and having a lid that rotates so you can easily drain the pan is extremely useful, but having easy draining lids + tri-ply seems to be mutually exclusive, at least here in Europe.

(I don't mind spending silly money on kitchen equipment, so reasonably expensive options are fine, separately I don't want to cook this kinda stuff in a Dutch oven because I am lazy and for daily use I want pans that I can stick in the dishwasher)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tri-ply is great and you're making a good choice getting rid of nonstick teflon pots. they're 100% unnecessary.

having one or two teflon pans for eggs and whatnot is fine but there's absolutely no reason for nonstick pots to exist.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got a cast iron one designed for my range that meshes with the existing cast iron grates to hold everything in place. Would highly recommend if you can find one for your model.

Good call on matching the grate. Of course I have a five claw grate on my range which limits me to just two options.

This one looks good but the listing titled "Material-Wok Stand Stable and not Shaking" has me curious what happens if I shake it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096RSLD9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CQ8JMXVQV290AA2KK2EX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

E: after reading some reviews it's just poorly translated to mean "it's stable and won't shake"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7030484029698854150

What kind of meat shaver is that

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

It's a pretty genericized design, all over the various dropshippers as just "manual meat slicer".

Works pretty well, though the caddy tends to bend over time, probably why she's just using gloves. Sometimes has trouble with even slices of thicker muscle meats because of this. But there's not much else that can go wrong with it, and you'd still have to be trying a lot harder to slip a finger under the guard than you would with a disc slicer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Reditainer seems to have… changed their material. It’s a streaky milky plastic now. Possibly thinner

Hard as hell to pull apart as well, each container is stuck hard to each other by tension

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My 14-cup Cuisinart food processor is arriving tomorrow. I've never been this excited about a kitchen appliance and feel extremely domestic

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My 14-cup Cuisinart food processor is arriving tomorrow. I've never been this excited about a kitchen appliance and feel extremely domestic

I'm excited for you. You can make so many doughs and sauces with ease.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm mainly planning to use it to chop vegetables because I'm lazy as hell.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm mainly planning to use it to chop vegetables because I'm lazy as hell.

Honestly, unless you are cooking for a large party, it’s generally more work to clean it than just chop veggies yourself, imo. Still, it’s nice to have when you don’t feel like grating a whole block of cheese by hand, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I use it all the time for onions and bell peppers for gumbo. It immediately turns 2-3 onions and bell peppers into tiny pieces like I want, then I wash it out. The whole process is like 30 seconds and no effort.

I use the little processor to mince garlic too. Turns a head of garlic into tiny pieces in 10 seconds. Quick wash and voilà. Much better than hand-mincing 20 cloves of garlic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brother Tadger posted:

Honestly, unless you are cooking for a large party, it’s generally more work to clean it than just chop veggies yourself, imo. Still, it’s nice to have when you don’t feel like grating a whole block of cheese by hand, etc.
I mean I could just throw it in the dishwasher. But even if I want to keep the blade sharp by washing it by hand its totally worth it. I make pasta sauce, stir fry, curry, etc in gigantic batches for meal prep, vacuum seal and freeze. This thing is gonna turn what was a tedious task that took so long my feet hurt from standing into a joke.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I usually just handwash my aluminum baking sheet but my gf likes to put it in the dishwasher and now it’s getting ugly looking.

Besides looks is that going to cause any problems down the line that I don’t know about? Not sure how much to care about it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes, if your detergent is harsh enough. I had an old beat up pan I wanted to try dishwashing after use to see if it could handle it.

It ended up gross, like bare flaky matte gray metal that would come off into your food if you didn't use aluminum foil.

I then did an experiment "can you season an aluminum pan with flax oil, like it's a cast iron pan?" The answer is "Yes, but if you have a pregnant wife she will despise you for the smell." The smell only lasted during 3 rounds of seasoning plus a couple uses afterwards, but it's a consideration to keep in mind.

So far the flax seasoning has gone through one dishwasher cycle, I'll report back after a dozen more.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Snowy posted:

I usually just handwash my aluminum baking sheet but my gf likes to put it in the dishwasher and now it’s getting ugly looking.

Besides looks is that going to cause any problems down the line that I don’t know about? Not sure how much to care about it.
Black will come off on your hands and food and afaik there isn't a way to make it stop. You could keep using it with foil or parchment paper if you want.

If you start from new and don't put it in the dishwasher, you can definitely season it. That may have happened to mine due to roast chickens and laziness. However, even then you can't dishwash it without loving it up.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 1, 2021

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
friendship ended with kitchenaid. got a six quart pro that's complete dogshit, terrible fit and finish, not satisfied with the amount of torque. is there a superior brand around that size that can handle regular commercial use, possibly enough power for a brioche? i can go higher in price if it's not garbage.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

friendship ended with kitchenaid. got a six quart pro that's complete dogshit, terrible fit and finish, not satisfied with the amount of torque. is there a superior brand around that size that can handle regular commercial use, possibly enough power for a brioche? i can go higher in price if it's not garbage.

For bread doughs, in increasing cost and quality/durability, Bosch Universal, Ankarsum Original, and Robot Coupe would be ones to look into.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi thread, I'm looking for Christmas present ideas. Please tell me what are the current hotnesses for:

• Pasta extruders
• Ice cream makers (the ones you put on your counter that don't use rock salt)
• Kitchen scales (is that one scale SymmetryrtemmyS hocked awhile back still the go-to?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

• Kitchen scales (is that one scale SymmetryrtemmyS hocked awhile back still the go-to?)

Can't recommend the MyWeigh KD8000 enough.

I got the AC cable to power it, but I put batteries in it to make it a bit more convenient and it is just so much better. The batteries have lasted forever, too...I don't think I even know where the AC cable is any more.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for Christmas present ideas. Please tell me what are the current hotnesses for:

• Ice cream makers (the ones you put on your counter that don't use rock salt)

You’re looking at a compressor model in that case. We have the Cuisinart machine (ICE-100) and it works great for what we do (fresh ice cream maybe once a week). There’s also Whynter and Breville models which are roughly equivalent that you can look at as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Can't recommend the MyWeigh KD8000 enough.

I got the AC cable to power it, but I put batteries in it to make it a bit more convenient and it is just so much better. The batteries have lasted forever, too...I don't think I even know where the AC cable is any more.

I think this is what I already have. I'd like to upgrade to something with a decimal point on the grams setting.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just get a tiny drug scale for any quantity where tenths of a gram would matter

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Get a coffee scale like this - it auto tares when you turn it on instead of yelling "OL" at you. It also takes much longer to auto shut off. I am so happy I upgraded my cheap drug scale to a cheap coffee scale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089JYMRK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A6JSMSQFGV2ANCK5AFN8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

I think this is what I already have. I'd like to upgrade to something with a decimal point on the grams setting.

What, praytell, could you be working with in a culinary application that would require precision beyond the 1g threshold? Assuming it's not drugs, that is. If it is, cool.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Modernist stuff maybe; but it’s normally small quantity as well. I keep a $10 drug scale in a drawer for precise stuff, and use an oxo scale 99.9% of the time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

What, praytell, could you be working with in a culinary application that would require precision beyond the 1g threshold? Assuming it's not drugs, that is. If it is, cool.

My pizza recipe is like that…1.13 gram of yeast.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have a tiny scale for yeast

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

My pizza recipe is like that…1.13 gram of yeast.

what happens if you put 1.14 grams in it

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

The yeast becomes sentient.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

https://youtu.be/gsJZVYKfCWU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

snuffles posted:

You’re looking at a compressor model in that case. We have the Cuisinart machine (ICE-100) and it works great for what we do (fresh ice cream maybe once a week). There’s also Whynter and Breville models which are roughly equivalent that you can look at as well.
You could certainly also do (and tbh he probably wants) the ones where you prefreeze the insert. Those go on the counter and don't take rock salt or anything, and they're like $50 instead of $250+

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BraveUlysses posted:

The Rubbermaid explodes

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is my drug scale https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/proscale-555-johnny-5.html

Works great, I use it for a weird hobby that isn't drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Look at this guy that’s never experienced yeast criticality