Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When the FFVI Pixel Remaster comes out I'll post a more detailed breakdown of the "Esper Attunement playthrough thing I did back in the GBA version. I had a lot of fun playing it that way.

The brief version is that I divided the espers into tiers corresponding to their power and "specialness." Tier 3 espers were the weakest, tier 1 were the strongest. The tier number also corresponded to the number of characters that esper could be equipped by ever. Most of the World of Balance espers are tier 3, so they can be used by, at most, three characters ever. Meanwhile, a really powerful esper like Ragnarok or Bahamut could only ever be used by one character--once one character equips that esper, they are attuned to it and that's it, nobody else gets to use that esper (which means only one character gets Ultima unless I grind out a Paladin Shield but that's kinda defeating the spirit of the thing).

It's not really a challenge run because it doesn't really make the game much harder, it just makes the characters more distinct. As a result, it's fine to fudge things a bit. For example, Phoenix by all rights should be a tier 1 esper, but I like the idea that both Locke and Celes can share Phoenix, so it gets an exception and is a tier 2 for story reasons.

Anyway I saved my old esper list so whenever the pixel remaster comes out I can post the tiers I divided them into in case anyone wants to try it out themselves (and/or argue about which espers should be in which tiers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Which games have the worst blue mages/magic

X and X-2.

X-2's "sit and pray the enemy uses their unique move on you" was the dumbest poo poo ever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OTOH the fact that Magic - when finally unlocked and put back into the hands of average humans - just mows down enemies and overshadows any human skill-based (blitzes/bushido) or technology-based (tools/magitek) abilities, is pretty on-brand for the backstory of the game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

The Blue Mage in FF6 is Strago because he learns how to use enemy abilities by seeing those abilities, abilities he then uses on-demand.
og snes Blind behavior confirmed not a bug

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

X and X-2.

X-2's "sit and pray the enemy uses their unique move on you" was the dumbest poo poo ever.

Oh yeah kimhari only being able to use the magic via overdrive sucked

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mister Olympus posted:

strictly speaking Gau is a Morpher but they didn't call the job that or use it outside of FFTA
Heh. Terra is the Morpher. Gau may be a Monster or Beast Berserker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're probably not the worst but apparently Quina isn't very good because of how magic works in FFIX or something. Somebody explained it to me once but because they have a low...Spirit stat (maybe?) they just don't hit a lot or do much damage or something.

All I know is that this criticism only applies to vanilla FFIX. In both mods I've played, Quina rules.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Morphers equip different monsters that they have to defeat first. Terra is whatever job Vincent is, she has a fixed alternate form

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Quina was fine. I think the low spirit meant mighty guard would last like no time but otherwise she seemed decent.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quina rules because all they want to do is eat, and I can relate to that.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Harrow posted:

Are there missable blue magics in FFV, or are they all still available at endgame if you're willing to go track them down?

Also, is there a point at which it's like, "okay, now is a good time to start using a Blue Mage" or anything? I'm guessing there's not much blue magic available right when you unlock it but I'm wondering if I should just have one in my party most of the time just to learn stuff or if I should wait until I unlock something else to start digging into blue magic.

Everything but one is off random encounters in the sunken tower or Rift, and that one is off a random sea encounter near the sunken tower, so you're never COMPLETELY locked out.

That said, there are a few things that are vital to have ASAP, that appear once or twice very and then go away until lategame, or that just suck if not gotten early:
Aero - Moldwynd, Magissa. Sucks but is a cheap tier-1 spell to use until Karnak Castle/the Library.
Aera - Gigas, Page 32. More gotta-get-it-then filler for an early dedicated BLU.
Aqua Rake - Dhorme Chimera. Basically just a Sandworm killer, also not shabby if you're trying to fill bestiary entries for W2 desert but you can get it for then off the Manticore or the Water Crystal.
Dark Spark - a bread-and-butter spell, halves enemy level so see convo earlier about Old and also useful for Lx manipulation (especially because halving rounds down, so you're never more than three casts from landing L2 Old.) Black Flame around Istory or Strapparer around Exdeath's Castle are where you can get it before W3 without Control shenanigans.
Death Claw - Free !Catch. Iron Claw.
L3 Flare - the best raw damage if levels line up. Can get it very early by !Control on a Red Dragon in the Barrier Tower.
L5 Death - Chemist can boost an enemy to 255, and this ignores all vulnerabilities. Get it from a Page 64 and you always have an option.
Missile - Controlled Motor Trap or Rocket Launcher. Free !Catch if you didn't have time for Death Claw.
Vampire - Deals and restores half of your missing HP for only 2MP. Great for trash, less so for bosses. Get it from the Steel Bats in the pirate cave or it goes away until late World 2.
White Wind - Massive partywide heal. You want it as early as you can, by confusing or !Controlling an Enchanted Fan in the Ronka Ruins.

Oh, and while Self-Destruct isn't hard to find and is normally a turd, you can teach it to Azulmagia and he'll try it out. :thunkgun:

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 30, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you play FF6, you should probably only allow Terra, Celes, and maybe Locke to use magic to avoid becoming too strong by the end.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That four xharacter mo magic challenge run of FFVI was really fun I found.

Setzer's fixed damage weapons with the master scroll sorta carried me through the last dungeon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sabin is a backup mage with a heavy hit, Edgar is always solid, Strago sees some use finally, yeah it’s a good time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

If you play FF6, you should probably only allow Terra, Celes, and maybe Locke to use magic to avoid becoming too strong by the end.

The limited-esper run I posted about above functionally makes it so only Terra, Celes, and Relm end up with -ga level attack spells by the end, and spreads Flare, Holy, and Ultima out among them. It basically makes it so that they're the only ones who can go full wizard and everyone else has to rely on weapons or their innate skills (Tools, Blitz, Lore, Bushido, etc.) to contribute. Other characters do get some healing and support spells, though.

It really isn't a "hard mode" run or anything though so it's still not very hard at the end, but it's definitely more fun for me than letting everyone spam Ultima all day. It's kind of great still getting tons of use out of the characters' inherent skills the whole way through.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kimahri is the worst blue mage because not only is it Limit locked but Kimahri himself is bad and the spells are generally terrible and overshadowed by Rikku.

Best Blue Mage is FFXIV because you get to solo old content by instakilling or reducing HP by half and makes grinding poo poo in a MMO less tedious.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d say FF5 blue mage is best blue mage because it’s just another normal job but manages to excel the whole way through without too much work.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
XIV is the best because of the fish spitting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
VII Blue Magic is super OP, and almost obsoletes all other magic.

Blue Magic in base IX is pretty disappointing, yeah. Most of it is just status stuff with horrible hit rates and that never works on what you'd want to use it on, buffs last like 2 turns tops, the direct damage abilities wanted you to do weird poo poo like obsessively catch frogs at every opportunity (but not TOO many, or they take forever to respawn, which we never tell you!), or only work when you're at 1 HP, etc.

Standby blue magics from previous versions got nerfed to crap. E.g.,
Aqua Breath- Inflicts Water-elemental damage to all targets equal to 1/4 of their Max HP (has a 50% success rate) and doesn't work on bosses.
Matra Magic - Reduces one target's HP to 1 (has a 20% success rate) and doesn't work on bosses.

White Wind recovers an amount equal to 1/3rd of Quina's max, which isn't great but is probably the best Blue Magic in IX.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

say what you like about kimahri but he's definitely the most blue mage

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

VII's blue magic is probably the best simply because it's a ton of different use spells for just one materia slot.

Don't like it in remake though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In theory Quistis' blue magic is as limited as Kimahri's, but in practice it's so easy to get permanent limit status in FF8 that it's cool again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

in the FFIX Unleashed Mod, Quina gets some new stuff. True, Metra Magic and stuff like Lv4 Holy still never seem to work when I need them to, but s/he gets Pyro ("a weaker version of Flare") and Flare Star. She was absolutely vital in the Silver Dragon/Garland/Kuja gauntlet, Mighty Guarding when I needed it, and doing great damage when i didn't.

Also, when looking up just how Flare Star works, I learned that Kuja spamming it is in the base game. I thought it was something added by the mod. He just goes crazy and kills you if you get that far, at least in the mod. But goddammit, I couldn't steal the Light Robe before I guess he ran out of MP. Running out of MP allows him to use his best move, that makes sense.....

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

gently caress that minmax FF6 every single time :colbert:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
In FFV I had no idea where to go, and sailed all the way to the top left of the map, discovered the little farming town where I seemingly can't do anything, and gave in and looked at a guide, turns out I need to go all the way to the bottom right of the map. Guess I'm gonna have to suffer through a bunch more of these goddamn black ghost thing sea battles to get back down there.

I also found a weird cave with squirrels in - sometimes a super tough one appeared and 1-shot a random party member before fleeing (but still giving me 5 job xp) and the normal squirrel fights are laughably easy but still give 2 job xp. Seems like a good place to level some jobs up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Silver Specs make you immune to blind!

And there’s no shame looking at a guide

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bardeh posted:

In FFV I had no idea where to go, and sailed all the way to the top left of the map, discovered the little farming town where I seemingly can't do anything, and gave in and looked at a guide, turns out I need to go all the way to the bottom right of the map. Guess I'm gonna have to suffer through a bunch more of these goddamn black ghost thing sea battles to get back down there.

Doesn't the world map wrap so that the upper left corner is right next to every other corner?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

Doesn't the world map wrap so that the upper left corner is right next to every other corner?

Yes....yes it does. I can't believe I didn't even think to try.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hey little guy, why are you called a skull eat-
:ohno:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

They're probably not the worst but apparently Quina isn't very good because of how magic works in FFIX or something. Somebody explained it to me once but because they have a low...Spirit stat (maybe?) they just don't hit a lot or do much damage or something.

All I know is that this criticism only applies to vanilla FFIX. In both mods I've played, Quina rules.

It's not just the spirit stat, buffs in general in IX are nearly worthless as spells because the timer continues to run down during animations, so you'll cast Protect from Garnet and it'll last maybe two turns before it runs out. The Auto-X abilities you can equip are fantastic but buffs cast as spells are just never worth it.

So yeah Mighty Guard cast from Quina sucks poo poo because it's 64 MP for something that's going to last two turns max, a bad use of resources, but s/he gets some decent stuff. Angel Snack uses four Remedies on the entire party in one turn for 4 MP, that's pretty good. Night casts Sleep on everyone on the battlefield, so if you have abilities that prevent sleep on your party, it's got its uses. Auto-Life is fantastic no matter what, and at least Earth Shake/Twister are good attack spells that hit wind and earth, which are difficult elements to hit otherwise. Level 5 Death is, as always, great, even though you can't manipulate enemy level like in FFV. Still, it works on Grand Dragons. Other than that, 1000 Needles is alright at least. Bad Breath would be nice if the tent trick didn't exist, but it does, so it's a bad choice (unless you're running low on tents).

In the end Quina isn't as bad as Kimahri and doesn't require resources to get going like Quistis, but s/he fails to reach the heights of FFV or even FFVII blue mage.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Kimahri is the worst blue mage because not only is it Limit locked but Kimahri himself is bad and the spells are generally terrible and overshadowed by Rikku.

Really the only blue magic Kimahri has that's worth using is Stone Breath just for the convenience of cheesing a single random encounter, and Nova is good I guess in the very late game. Everything else is either useless or done better by Rikku, yeah. I don't know why they couldn't just let Kimahri be a blue mage with a unique command, Yuna has a unique command so it's not like everyone is identical at endgame even if you fill out the sphere grid. His spells still wouldn't be all that great even if you could cast them at will with MP, but it'd at least make him better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lancet should be how Blue Mages learn new spells though.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I never played XI but I understand the Blue Mages in that are pretty fleshed out?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Kimahri should have had blue magic as a normal command and Lancet is how you gather skills. His overdrive could have just been Hi-Jump

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ManSedan posted:

I never played XI but I understand the Blue Mages in that are pretty fleshed out?

Yeah they kick rear end. Imagine a Blue Mage where you equip spells and equipping certain spells gives you a synergy bonus that lets you do stuff like regenerate mana, dual wield, get bonus swings on auto-attacks, etc.

To keep it balanced, you have a point total for the amount of spells you can equip, and different spells have different point costs. Some spells suck but can be used to give really strong bonuses. Back when I still played in like 2008 the most common Blue Mage build was a hybrid melee/caster DPS that could combo its own weapon skills and magic together. I think the BLU Spellbook in XI is like hundreds of spells long now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

The Blue Mage in FF6 is Strago because he learns how to use enemy abilities by seeing those abilities, abilities he then uses on-demand. This is the hallmark of blue magics. Relm is the beastmaster. She even gets !Control later on

Gau is a hosed up berserker.

Umaro is incredibly bluntly the Berserker. Gau is just Gau. He's the best parts of Beastmaster, Blue Mage and Berserker rolled into an unstoppable ball of death.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The best blue mage is from FF12 :v:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I like how the Blue Mage questline in 14 starts with a sales pitch / live demonstration and the crowd going "what the gently caress you have to get hit by monsters? This is a scam I'm out of here. "

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darkoni posted:

I like how the Blue Mage questline in 14 starts with a sales pitch / live demonstration and the crowd going "what the gently caress you have to get hit by monsters? This is a scam I'm out of here. "

It's extra funny because canonically the lovely Blue Mage grifter dude is actually so legitimately strong he takes on gods and steals their power.

And then gets his rear end kicked by Gogo.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Is dimensions the “good” mobile FF? Tactics is just too big a game to play on a small screen, so looking for something to do when on the toilet/bus/existential crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

Is dimensions the “good” mobile FF? Tactics is just too big a game to play on a small screen, so looking for something to do when on the toilet/bus/existential crisis

Final Fantasy Dimensions is what you play when you want more FFV. Its not as good as FFV, but its unabashedly someone trying to make a game that is more FFV.

I love it but like, you gotta know that going in.