Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'd be disappointed if 'everyone is an Ascian (but it's good now)' was the route they went but I doubt that'd be it, we see many times how the entire point of our Scion and non-Scion friends is the unity between Echo-Havers and Mundane Heroes coming together for a cause they all believe in.

I'd accept 'to break the endless cycle of ancients/their primals the WoL releases Azem's aether across the world, not really making everyone have The Echo but protecting them from the end of days somehow, thus fulfilling Azem's duty to the world as a whole' as a perfectly valid option though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Chillgamesh posted:

I think the only way I could be disappointed is if they lean super hard into the WoL being some kind of messianic chosen one
I think WoL will be celebrated as a hero as always but because WoL is mainly celebrated for primal-slaying, after 5.0 and defeat of greatest of primals (Zodiark and Hydaelyn probably both gone, Ascians no longer spreading knowledge about summoning, tempering being resolved etc.), there might be "Now what?" point when WoL will become basically jobless

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dwesa posted:

I think WoL will be celebrated as a hero as always but because WoL is mainly celebrated for primal-slaying, after 5.0 and defeat of greatest of primals (Zodiark and Hydaelyn probably both gone, Ascians no longer spreading knowledge about summoning, tempering being resolved etc.), there might be "Now what?" point when WoL will become basically jobless

They become farmers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They become farmers

Ah, that's how they introduce the island sanctuary. It's our vacation home!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They become farmers

ah, the reverse reaper

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

ah, the reverse reaper

Actually the power of the void is mostly for pest control. Much safer than pesticides!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The fact that Estinien is getting added to Trusts and Krile isn't is making me think Krile probably will not make it to the end.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FuturePastNow posted:

The fact that Estinien is getting added to Trusts and Krile isn't is making me think Krile probably will not make it to the end.

Krile has never been a combat character. She even admits it in the Warring Triad duty.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
We really need to get some Roe and lalafell represeation in trusts. So I can make a height chart with the party select screen

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

Krile has never been a combat character. She even admits it in the Warring Triad duty.

Also, they've never said Krile isn't going to be a trust. The only thing they've said about new trusts is that there will be multiple additions and Estinien is the only confirmed one at the moment. I imagine anything else might be too much of a spoiler.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

because the other one is fandaniel

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The fate of the last person to speak in each of the launch trailers:

ARR: Alphinaud: Alive.
HW: Lahabrea: Dead.
SB: Zenos: Killed, but got better.
ShB: Emet-Selch: Dead
EW: Alphinaud: ???

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OhFunny posted:

The fate of the last person to speak in each of the launch trailers:

ARR: Alphinaud: Alive.
HW: Lahabrea: Dead.
SB: Zenos: Killed, but got better.
ShB: Emet-Selch: Dead
EW: Alphinaud: ???

It may be notable that all three of the people you've noted as having died have arguments (of varying levels of intelligence) otherwise. There are some amount of people arguing that both Lahabrea and Emet-Selch are alive, despite all evidence otherwise.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

wizardofloneliness posted:

Also, they've never said Krile isn't going to be a trust. The only thing they've said about new trusts is that there will be multiple additions and Estinien is the only confirmed one at the moment. I imagine anything else might be too much of a spoiler.

I wonder if we'll have more one off Trust options like Lyna in ShB.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

that reaper au ra in the launch trailer is 100% gonna be a trust NPC and they just used the same race for the reaper reveal to throw us off

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I actually enjoyed diamond weapon and Zurvan well enough as fights, but zurvan doesn’t have a cool vocal theme in phase 2 and diamond is set up completely differently than the other weapons.

I didn’t really enjoy seiryu at all, and he didn’t even have a phase transition mini game (for better or worse).

yeah Seiryu is the weakest Lord for sure. just not memorable

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Endwalker will end with the arrival of the Phantoms

thus begins 6.1

Final Fantasy XIV
The Spirits Withiner

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I AM THE MOON posted:

yeah Seiryu is the weakest Lord for sure. just not memorable

Infuriating how many times I had to run his trial to get my dog.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
idk if being a reincarnated ancient necessarily means you'll get the echo from the starshower cause there was that one dude in eulmore that didn't get it and was just really sad for reasons he didn't understand

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

petcarcharodon posted:

idk if being a reincarnated ancient necessarily means you'll get the echo from the starshower cause there was that one dude in eulmore that didn't get it and was just really sad for reasons he didn't understand

Some folks have speculated that there might be some kind of 'I've seen some poo poo' factor that blunts it. Maybe to get the Echo you need to have lived through the event, dying during it doesn't have quite the same impact as seeing how everything went to poo poo afterwards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder which Scion is going to get tempered and then have to get the pig treatment

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder which Scion is going to get tempered and then have to get the pig treatment

It depends on how long they want the problem to last.

One cutscene but very emotional? Alphinaud.
A few quests to draw out the tension? Alisaie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Half a minute? Y'shtola.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gabu, again

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FuturePastNow posted:

All of them, but you can only pick two to save.

Player choice, baby. :unsmigghh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

quote:

Before Endwalker drops, there is one question left to answer: Did Zenos lay eggs?

I'm here today to answer the burning lore question that Square Enix has been too afraid to tackle: did Zenos lay eggs? Long has the community debated this topic, but it's time to give a definitive answer on the subject. This treatise will answer every question you never had and never again want to think about on this topic.
The evidence is clear and unambiguous: during the add phase of the Shinryu trial, several meteor markers drop eggs which then hatch into dragons which the player must fight. As Zenos is possessing Shinryu's body at this time, it can only be that Zenos laid those eggs.
There exist several possible objections to this, but none hold up under scrutiny.

Maybe Shinryu laid those eggs before, and Zenos just used them?
I'm sorry, but it doesn't add up. Shinryu was either imprisoned or actively fighting Omega its entire existence before Zenos' possession. We see Shinryu clearly trapped by Omega's forcefield atop the Royal Menagerie with no room to move, much less have some eggs stashed in there. Furthermore, the eggs appear after Zenos leaves the field in the trial. Why'd he leave? To go lay some eggs real quick.

Shinryu is a primal, so what if it has the ability to form eggs out of aether? Its body is made of aether, after all.
Other primals' adds are generally tempered followers of theirs. Ones that aren't are clearly some kind of magical entity, like Sephirot's or Garuda. Shinry's dragons, on the other hand, appear to be living things. Shinryu never had a chance to temper anyone, and the need for eggs to hatch from implies some kind of biology at work.. Furthermore, its adds look like itself, again suggesting some form of reproduction.

But what if-
I'm sorry, but you need to stop lying to yourself. Search your heart. You know it be true. Zenos laid those eggs. Also, I'm gonna head you off right now: In FFXIV, dragons reproduce asexually. It was just him, by himself, layin' some eggs. Don't get any funny ideas.

In conclusion, Zenos is a sick twisted freak who was willing to lay a number of eggs in the body of a dragon, all in order to defeat the Warrior of Light. Unfortunately, this casts his enjoyment of said fight in a somewhat different light afterwards. I'm excited to see how this will play into his character development in Endwalker. Will Fandaniel finally call him out on his bizarre habits? Will Zenos come to terms with his actions? And, perhaps, worst of all: will Zenos try it again?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look if you get put into the body of a dragon it's only natural you'd try out all the bells and whistles

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The preliminary patch notes happened, by the way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Finally, proof of his love

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

multijoe posted:

Finally, proof of his love
I thought he saw us only as a friend!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Something from Reddit that I don't think we heard much of since it came from a Japanese interview:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Onean posted:

Something from Reddit that I don't think we heard much of since it came from a Japanese interview:

Huh, so this is why the patch notes have the role quests being given by various delegates. As an example the magical dps is from an "ishgardian delegate"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

get this:

zenos roleplay duty

Hell yeah I love roleplay duties.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Makes sense. Only tanks stand a chance at coming out of that role quest with their kneecaps intact.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I gotta say, the fact that both trials are not listed in the patch notes has me incredibly suspicious.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think that's kind of rad, given that your class is going to be a complement to whatever leader you're working with. Tanking hits for Kan-E-Senna or healing Raubauhn while he fights a whole slew of enemies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zoig posted:

I gotta say, the fact that both trials are not listed in the patch notes has me incredibly suspicious.

It's gonna be so weird when at level 84 we fight in an arena that's just the word HIDDEN.

I will say, Something I like about the way the role quests are allocated is that basically nobody is actually going to a city-state that they're strongly tied to. Tanks get Gridania, the starting region without a tank job (since Gunbreaker's a drifter); physical range is off to Doma, who only have melee DPS 'home jobs; magic DPS are going to Ishgard, where I think none of the job quests have actually sent them; healer is going to Ala Mhigo, a region with very little connection to any of them. Basically the only job that's getting to 'go home' is Ninja by way of Rogue.

...and it's actually not far from what I was predicting they'd do with the role quests. I was predicting they'd split up by region, I just didn't predict how they were splitting.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 1, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arrrthritis posted:

I think that's kind of rad, given that your class is going to be a complement to whatever leader you're working with. Tanking hits for Kan-E-Senna or healing Raubauhn while he fights a whole slew of enemies.

Speaking of, my current theory is that we're gonna be hunting down Lunar Primals. In which case Gridania = Garuda (Lunaruda if you will), Limsa = Leviathan (what a storm), Doma = Tsukuyomi (which when you think about it is kind of just a double moon goddess), Ishgard = Thordan and Ala Mihgo = Shinryu.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Lord_Magmar posted:

Speaking of, my current theory is that we're gonna be hunting down Lunar Primals. In which case Gridania = Garuda (Lunaruda if you will), Limsa = Leviathan (what a storm), Doma = Tsukuyomi (which when you think about it is kind of just a double moon goddess), Ishgard = Thordan and Ala Mihgo = Shinryu.

If this is the case, I would hope that Ishgard fights Bismarck for no other reason than it being a Lunar Whale.

That being said, this all sounds very rad and I hope it's what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I like the Lunar Primal splitup, but I don't think it'd come out like that, because there's a few of those that couldn't be summoned like that, having an even weaker situation than Lunar Odin. Tsukuyomi and Shinryu don't actually have local worshippers, after all.

The ones I'd allocate for that would probably be...

Limsa=Leviathan
Ishgard=Bismarck (hence why magic DPS; they need to hit from range)
Doma=Susano (also no direct worshippers, but at least has a following)
Ala Mhigo=Lakshmi
Gridania=ODIN, GOD DAMNIT