Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm an hour or so in the Pearl remake. Just beat Roark. Haven't played through Pearl/Platinum since those came out. I'm digging this remake. The art direction/graphics are really nice, it looks closer to Let's Go. It looks far better than Sword/Shield which look like a big mess. The squat chibi designs and classic look also just feels right. I'm not very fond of TMs being single use items again, I dunno why these remakes gotta be two steps forward one step back in some respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If it helps any, I believe every single TM in the game can be repurchased in one way or another

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Technically Sword/Shield was the first one to make TMs single use again. Sure, it was only like half of them...but obviously it was most of the good ones. It's still dumb.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm an hour or so in the Pearl remake. Just beat Roark. Haven't played through Pearl/Platinum since those came out. I'm digging this remake. The art direction/graphics are really nice, it looks closer to Let's Go. It looks far better than Sword/Shield which look like a big mess. The squat chibi designs and classic look also just feels right. I'm not very fond of TMs being single use items again, I dunno why these remakes gotta be two steps forward one step back in some respects.

My wife has been playing it and enjoying it, she was watching some YouTuber reviews (because she hates herself apparently) and a lot of them were complaining about the chibi overworld aesthetic, which both of us thought was weird because we are both digging it and kind of wish the combat models looked like that too? If anything it's jarring when it switches between the two.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Youkai is a word that translations of Japanese stuff have had trouble with; Inuyasha infamously used 'Demon', while 'Fey' might be closer but the connotations for that are probably a bit kiddie. Unless you're into the kind of fairy tales that love pointing out how mythical creatures can so very often be both whimsical and brutally deadly. Think like, brownies, selkies, kelpies and red caps.

Zelda is a funny one to bring up there given it shamelessly uses mishmashes of Eastern and Western mythology and fairy tales, what with the Master Sword being Excalibur in the stone and Link being based on Peter Pan.

Technically, Excalibur wasn't the sword in the stone. :eng101: Yes, it's weird that King Arthur had multiple magical swords associated with him, no it doesn't make much sense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

Technically, Excalibur wasn't the sword in the stone. :eng101: Yes, it's weird that King Arthur had multiple magical swords associated with him, no it doesn't make much sense.
Yeah, Excalibur was the one he got from the Lady in the Lake. The Sword in the Stone was his father's sword, put there by Merlin to ensure the succession of the English throne IIRC.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Technically technically, sometimes Excalibur is also the sword in the stone. It just depends on who's telling the story. The two sword thing was probably created to explain why some stories had him pull it from the stone and some involved the Lady of the Lake.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Just Andi Now posted:

Technically technically, sometimes Excalibur is also the sword in the stone. It just depends on who's telling the story. The two sword thing was probably created to explain why some stories had him pull it from the stone and some involved the Lady of the Lake.

So link is ALSO Ganon? gently caress. This conspiracy goes deep.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone should watch Boorman's Excalibur. There hasn't been a good King Arthur movie since.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:actually:
King Arthor got his sword from Merlins magi-tech round table. This is canon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25U7m1GpKfw&t=999s

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So link is ALSO Ganon? gently caress. This conspiracy goes deep.

Nintendo, give us a game where Link and Ganon swap bodies so I can play as a giant blue pigman trying to stop "Link" from, I dunno, something cliche like marrying Zelda.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If anyone is thinking of upgrading an early model switch to an OLED, check your serial to see if it's hackable and unpatched. Low-serial unpatched + unbanned tablets typically ebay for $270-350 and would cover a significant chunk of the upgrade (assuming you wait to get an OLED at msrp).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Stickman posted:

If anyone is thinking of upgrading an early model switch to an OLED, check your serial to see if it's hackable and unpatched. Low-serial unpatched + unbanned tablets typically ebay for $270-350 and would cover a significant chunk of the upgrade (assuming you wait to get an OLED at msrp).

Is this relevant even if you’ve kept the Switch software up to date? I have an early Switch but no real interest in hacking it myself.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nrook posted:

Is this relevant even if you’ve kept the Switch software up to date? I have an early Switch but no real interest in hacking it myself.

It's still relevant, the exploit in early Switches is in the bootloader that runs before the Switch OS even starts, and there's no way for Nintendo to patch the bootloader

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I haven't done it myself, but listings almost never include current firmware and it sounds like firmware doesn't matter so long as the switch is an "unpatched" model. I'm in the same boat - not really interested in hacking my switch but side-eyeing the OLED.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:haw:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i want an oled lite so the vita finally has a true successor

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i want an oled lite so the vita finally has a true successor

This will come out right about the time the battery on my current Lite goes to poo poo and so I will feel compelled to buy it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Never paid attention to consoles this generation but now I have a bit of money and need somethign to do on a couch.

Is there any important differences in the various versions of the switch if you're exclusively going to use it in tablet mode? I don't know anything help me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Agent355 posted:

Never paid attention to consoles this generation but now I have a bit of money and need somethign to do on a couch.

Is there any important differences in the various versions of the switch if you're exclusively going to use it in tablet mode? I don't know anything help me

Get the new OLED model if you're going to use it handheld exclusively.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What happens to the Switch Lite when the joysticks start to go bad? Can you replace them just like the regular switch?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Agent355 posted:

The Switch Lite can't connect to a tv and I think you can't remove the joy cons. If you want a Switch ASAP and it is the only one, go for it. If you can wait or see another model, go for another model because the joycons can have a drift issue and you don't want to have to send in your whole console to get half a controller fixed.

OLED is the best model overall.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cum jabbar posted:

What happens to the Switch Lite when the joysticks start to go bad? Can you replace them just like the regular switch?

You can't replace the joysticks without electronics surgery. You can in theory pair new joycons to the switch Lite just like any switch, you would just have some vestigial broken joysticks on the side forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, so I have an Animal Cross Switch and a launch model Switch (checked the number and it is hackable.)

The first is mine and the second is my wife's.
If I buy an OLED, give her the AC one and sell the Launch model, how much of a pain in the rear end would that be?

Also, I assume you can hard wipe a Switch for selling, yes?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cool. I don't mind waiting for an OLED (as they're out of stock everywhere) since I'm not in any hurry to get one anyway. Do we know anything about when more shipments come in though? I assume it's just randomly as they're made available so I should just keep the page open and F5 everyday or w/e?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stickman posted:

Uhhhh....

....thank you?

...!!!!!!!!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Stickman posted:

im in the XAW70000000000 to XAW70017800000 bucket, cool

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mine is XAW1000000000001 :c00l::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::c00l:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 22, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

b_d posted:

im in the XAW70000000000 to XAW70017800000 bucket, cool
:same:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Everyone should watch Boorman's Excalibur. There hasn't been a good King Arthur movie since.

i saw it for the first time a few months ago and it kicked rear end! all the armor... one of the shiniest movies i've ever seen

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm playing through Dark Souls Remastered for the first time, after hearing it's the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

So far the "difficulty" is atrocious, not because it's genuinely difficult like say Ninja Gaiden, but because it's janky as hell. I mean, loving ghosts that can hit you through walls and floors and can insta-grab you for 70% damage? Artificial bullshit.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghosts going through walls? Well I never

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls Remastered for the first time, after hearing it's the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

So far the "difficulty" is atrocious, not because it's genuinely difficult like say Ninja Gaiden, but because it's janky as hell. I mean, loving ghosts that can hit you through walls and floors and can insta-grab you for 70% damage? Artificial bullshit.
Did you run straight to New Londo or something? I agree the ghosts (and upper New Londo in general) are the low point of the game but they barely make an appearance in the grand scheme of things and unless you make a real effort, you're not going to be going there anywhere near the start of the game. There's not really any other bullshit on that level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm quite aware, hence being specific about it being Excalibur! :eng101: The real fun thing is that the sword in the stone wasn't even that special, going by Mallory (or maybe TH White) iirc he pulled it casually to give to Kay because he really needed one, then people started asking where he got it from.

Of course, the entire King Arthur mythos is a combination of dozens if not hundreds of different stories from different sources including literal fanfiction from centuries after the fact.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Did you run straight to New Londo or something? I agree the ghosts (and upper New Londo in general) are the low point of the game but they barely make an appearance in the grand scheme of things and unless you make a real effort, you're not going to be going there anywhere near the start of the game. There's not really any other bullshit on that level.

No I went up and killed the bell gargoyles and now I've gone down with all the ghosts and you have to use an item to be able to even hit them, and there are so many inside the buildings. I will prevail but it's not fun at all atm

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

No I went up and killed the bell gargoyles and now I've gone down with all the ghosts and you have to use an item to be able to even hit them, and there are so many inside the buildings. I will prevail but it's not fun at all atm

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Throw fireballs at the ghosts. A single fireball can take out multiple ghosts if they’re clustered. It rules.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

That's still really early to be going to the ghost zone if the bell gargoyles are the last major boss you've beaten.

Edit: I mean it's there and you can do it, it's just going to be tougher than a lot of other areas available

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You can't actually progress to the end of New Londo until you've completed a major milestone in the middle of the game (technically you can but you first have to do something that you probably won't and should not do on your first playthrough) so you can safely ignore that area for now.