Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I would place the KotH writing on the same level as any situation comedy. They tried very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

"oh my god what if all this button is doing is sending an electric shock through a wire hooked up straight to Bobby's nipples!?" *panics and pushes the doorbell by gate even faster*

...what in god's name is the context of this lol

Also lolling that dale, of all people, has cottoned onto how lovely Peggy is and let's her and everyone know it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It's a cartoon

It's really not. Not in the way most other fox animated shows are/were

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I would place the KotH writing on the same level as any situation comedy. They tried very hard.

Agreed, it's on par with King of Queens really, same poo poo.

A-DOIIIIIIIII

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Milo and POTUS posted:

Also lolling that dale, of all people, has cottoned onto how lovely Peggy is and let's her and everyone know it

Another great running joke

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

...what in god's name is the context of this lol

IIRC its from the episode where Bobby goes to military school.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I ain't your Ging-ging and you aint's my Bing-bing!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
When the pandemic kicked off last year and I didn't know how to handle it, I was basically a complete zombie for months until this scene made me laugh so hard I almost threw up and it kind of snapped me out of it, so thanks KOTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BawbaG7pUzc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The first one to touch those machines will be electrocuted. Then, while the rest of you saps are staring at a charred and twisted Bill, Chuck will pounce.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Wait a minute... Tim Woo hates Coca Cola!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

contemplating the employmentality of the Kahn

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I've heard of damning with faint praise before but holy poo poo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Outside of a few episodes Kahn’s job isn’t focused on a lot at all, but all the programs he puts Connie into probably isn’t cheap either.

There’s an episode where they show how Bobby drains the entertainment budget for the Hills, but both Dale and Peggy probably waste more money than they bring in too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it weren't for the fact that actors age and animated ones don't, King of the Hill could have easily been a live action sitcom.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

If it weren't for the fact that actors age and animated ones don't, King of the Hill could have easily been a live action sitcom.

Having to deal with Bobby, Connie and Joseph going to high school would have been tough.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They do age! They stopped aging them once it looked like they were going to hit syndication.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I like that the they aren't too married to continuity. If you pick at what has been shown about Peggy's mom the whole thing would fall apart.

Maybe I haven't watched enough episodes, but I always kinda wondered how Peggy was from Montana, but didn't she and hank meet in highschool or some poo poo?
Kinda like how Al and Peggy (!) Bundy went to highschool together in Chicago, but Peggy was from Wisconsin.

Also, Kahn lived in that lovely hillbilly neighborhood so that he could afford to buy a sweet sweet El Camino. Like better than any of the other hillbillies could afford.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I assumed she got fed up with her mom and moved in with her older brother Hoyt in Arlen... or Uncle Boppo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Maybe I haven't watched enough episodes, but I always kinda wondered how Peggy was from Montana, but didn't she and hank meet in highschool or some poo poo?
Kinda like how Al and Peggy (!) Bundy went to highschool together in Chicago, but Peggy was from Wisconsin.

Also, Kahn lived in that lovely hillbilly neighborhood so that he could afford to buy a sweet sweet El Camino. Like better than any of the other hillbillies could afford.

Peggy grew up in Montana but lived in Texas for her high school years. At some point her parents moved back (I don't think it's ever explained why?) to Montana, leaving her and her twin brother (Luanne's dad).

edit: it's implied Peggy left for Texas without her parents, though never explained why. She probably went with Hoyt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Peggy's backstory is never fully explained and as such doesn't make a lick of sense. In "I Remember Mono" (s2ep14) we see Hank and Peggy start dating in high school while Peggy's mother is shown living in Arlen. In "Happy Hanks Giving" (s4ep7) we see that the Platter's still live in Montana as the Hill family is going there to visit. Then in "A Rover Runs Through It" (s9ep1) we learn that Peggy ran away from home to avoid marrying Sven Grammarsdorff from across the way. Also none of these episodes address when Hoyt moved to Arlen and met Leanne. We know Hoyt was out of the picture before Peggy and Hank started dating because Hank never met Hoyt before "Life: A Loser's Manual" (s12ep22)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

muscles like this! posted:

Peggy's backstory is never fully explained and as such doesn't make a lick of sense. In "I Remember Mono" (s2ep14) we see Hank and Peggy start dating in high school while Peggy's mother is shown living in Arlen. In "Happy Hanks Giving" (s4ep7) we see that the Platter's still live in Montana as the Hill family is going there to visit. Then in "A Rover Runs Through It" (s9ep1) we learn that Peggy ran away from home to avoid marrying Sven Grammarsdorff from across the way. Also none of these episodes address when Hoyt moved to Arlen and met Leanne. We know Hoyt was out of the picture before Peggy and Hank started dating because Hank never met Hoyt before "Life: A Loser's Manual" (s12ep22)

Yeah they never planned it out and eventually shrugged as it didn’t come up a ton. Like they established early Bill was an offensive linesman blocking for Hank as he set a rushing record that still stands, and later decided that Bill was also running the ball enough to set a touchdown record. I guess that could have happened if Arlen never passed and Hank constantly was tackled at the one yard line, then they gave it to Bill?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doctor J Off posted:

I've heard of damning with faint praise before but holy poo poo

There have been well written sitcoms.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah they never planned it out and eventually shrugged as it didn’t come up a ton. Like they established early Bill was an offensive linesman blocking for Hank as he set a rushing record that still stands, and later decided that Bill was also running the ball enough to set a touchdown record. I guess that could have happened if Arlen never passed and Hank constantly was tackled at the one yard line, then they gave it to Bill?

That one's actually sorta-reasonable. Goal line packages are a thing and teams will sub in giant defensive tackles at fullback, so a HS taking their best guard and putting him there isn't that wild. Arlen going by their coach and more or less everything seen would definitely run the ball 90% of the time if possible, and Hank is slow as hell, so they're definitely rumbling forward for 4 yards over and over and over and over again, getting to the goal line, swapping the Bill-Dozer with the fullback and just shoving everyone forward a yard as Bill falls into the endzone.

High school ball especially is going to overuse their best players because the difference between them and the average player is gigantic compared to college.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Poor Hank, running 79 painful yards at 4 ypc only for that shithead with the glorious locks to snipe the TD

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hank was a great high school footballer but you know what? Arlen sucks and Witchita Falls rules! Go Sooners!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Poor Hank, running 79 painful yards at 4 ypc only for that shithead with the glorious locks to snipe the TD

Hank would probably be fine with this given his character.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hank would break free and get like 15 yards downfield before veering out of bounds because he doesn't want to showboat

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kalli posted:

Hank would break free and get like 15 yards downfield before veering out of bounds because he doesn't want to showboat

Modern Hank yes. High school Hank was fine with showboating and dancing like an Egyptian in the championship so God broke his leg but didn’t kill him as He still wanted him to sell propane.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was just trying to call for help, I swear!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mad Dog in that episode is every gun nut. "I can't shoot them, i'll go back to jail, but I can't not shoot them!!!!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That has one of my favourite scenes,

Hank talking to the gunman "heh, you're gonna find this funny-"

and Bill cuts in with "DALE'S COMIN' TO KILL YOU!"

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gonna disagree, I thought it was fun and they bother to provide a character consistent reason for Kahn to hang out with Bill and Dale. In later seasons he's just present by default. I also liked Dale musing about the quandary of whether to escape while the guards search for the rarest truffle or to eat it.

What was the b-plot of that episode? I can’t remember Kahn hanging out with the boys.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What was the b-plot of that episode? I can’t remember Kahn hanging out with the boys.

The boys start reading about the last meals of death row inmates then lament about how unfair it is that you have to kill someone to get to eat the best meal of your life, and while shopping for their favorite foods Khan overhears them and joins in.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Well hey there, My name is Hank Hill and I sell Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and Propane and

TWO OR THREE OF THOSE LITTLE SOAPS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPebbjJ7874

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I didn't really get the KotH YouTube poops until I started smoking a bunch of weed but god I'm glad I did.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My Jr. High football team had a package where we swapped out our RB for our biggest linemen. Dude ran slow but would be carrying like 6 kids for like 7 yards before they finally brought him down. Great for goal line, just like the Billdozer.

... poo poo, I just looked it up, the Billdozer episode aired the same year we ran that I played football, and we didn't deploy that package till midway through the season. What if my coach was inspired by KotH?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"You get us to State and I guarantee I'll kiss each and every one of you little pansies right on the mouth!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"Take a salt tablet"

I had a school nurse that answered 99% of visits with copious dosage of salt tablets so I totally related to that