Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Was gonna say "oh, so it's just another form of 'dilly-dally'?" but apparently it came first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just as long as you don't write it all cattywampus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

cyclists with blinky lights. They're incredibly obnoxious.
If it's just the back light or whatever it's fine. But having a strong front-light that's constantly strobing is just the worst.
(One of them rode behind me most of the way back home today.)
Why is blinking even an option on bike lights? What's the supposed advantage?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Tiggum posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cyc...h=1014&dpr=1.25

If you're annoyed by it, that means you see it.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Nov 27, 2021

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tiggum posted:

It's really helpful for a driver to see the person. It drives you nuts, but you see the person. A single light is easy to ignore. Blinkies are very helpful for visibility if you're riding at night.

I know that, if I'm driving around a University at night, I'm going to be angry at the blinkies. Then again, I can see the blinkies so I'm paying attention.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Imagined posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cyc...h=1014&dpr=1.25

If you're annoyed by it, that means you see it.

I'm only annoyed by it because I can't tell where the bike is or how fast it's going though?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Many people have bad ideas about bike lighting. The purpose of the front light is for you to see what's in front of you. The purpose of the rear light is to let other people see you. Strobe lights make it harder for someone to judge your location at best and are downright distracting at worse. Just use non-flashing lights and point them at an angle that doesn't blind drivers or fellow cyclists.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

I'm only annoyed by it because I can't tell where the bike is or how fast it's going though?

Is the light red or blue?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The only times a driver should be concerned about the speed/location/position of a cyclist with a blinking light on the front of their bike is either A) The cyclist is going against traffic, which is wrong and dangerous, or B) the driver of the vehicle is going against traffic, which is wrong and dangerous.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's kind of annoying when zombie media avoids calling them zombies, and uses other names like infected, walker, brisk pace runner, and cum blaster.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can't go out there!

There's revenants out there!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

You can't go out there!

There's revenants out there!

Revenants? Excuse me, we call those draugr in these parts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Every kid's show about a new baby coming home has them naming the baby after it's born

Like they never even considered it

Oh poo poo, a name? Wow this past three quarters of a year just went so fast I didn't think to come up with one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's kind of annoying when zombie media avoids calling them zombies, and uses other names like infected, walker, brisk pace runner, and cum blaster.

You gotta differentiate between the different types, you don't wanna get your runners and cum blasters mixed up! You ever been blasted by zombie cum? It's not a pleasant experience.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody got jizzed, right!?

*discreetly pulls clothing over zombie creampie*

All good here

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

Every kid's show about a new baby coming home has them naming the baby after it's born

Oh poo poo, a name? Wow this past three quarters of a year just went so fast I didn't think to come up with one

And when was the last time you could actually do that? Like...it's been decades since they'll let you leave a hospital without naming your child and filling out the birth certificate, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And when was the last time you could actually do that? Like...it's been decades since they'll let you leave a hospital without naming your child and filling out the birth certificate, right?

That was my experience! I figure being like "I'll name the infant in due time, I shall take my leave now" would probably send up some red flags at the hospital.

But they gotta let the child protagonist name the baby like loving Keyser Soze, it's a conceit of the genre and I'm stuck reliving it again and again

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You can leave without filling out the paperwork completely, at least in most of the US. You'll just get a call from the State Department of Health, and probably have to pay something to change the records. Many hospitals will use a placeholder name like Babygirl/Babyboy for the paperwork, until the parents fill them out.

It's not technically illegal to not officially name your kid for a while, even indefinitely, but it can cause knock on effects depending on how long you let it go (unable to get a SS card, which leaves them unable to get a license or state ID or passport, which leaves them unable to do anything that requires those, so on).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Meant to add this to my post:
gently caress trying to sell things online but locally (i.e. FB Marketplace and Craigslist, not, like, eBay.)

SO MANY no shows, or people who stop replying. If you found another used car and don't want to buy mine, that's fine, just loving tell me.

So far I've had almost half a dozen people who did actually come to look at it in person...and no one wants it. It's honestly not in that bad of a shape, and I am willing to haggle, but it looks like most people are immediately wary that it's not inspected, so I guess I'll have to schedule to get that done and hope it passes. Problem there, is my state requires the car ALSO be registered AND insured to get an inspection.

I still have a couple months of the registration, so that's ok, but now I have to pay for at least a month's worth of insurance on the drat thing. Paying $30 for the barest bones insurance for a month isn't a huge deal, it's just a waiting game of getting it signed up and waiting a couple days for it to go though and being able to finally print the paperwork from my insurer to show to garage to inspect it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

All good here

The Cumming Dead

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Some friends of mine didn't name their child for weeks. Born early in October, named in late November.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In Late November is a lovely name

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I don't know if it's a remnant from the days of high mortality rates for babies or what, but where I live, most babies are given a christening or name giving party when they are 1-3 months old, and that's when the parents reveal baby's name to everyone. Before that, their name is usually kept a secret. The official registration you need to send 3 months after babby is born, in hospital baby is just "baby Surname".

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brawnfire posted:

All good here

Lmao

Also, my friends sister ended up renaming their kid a few weeks after it was born cos her dad (the kids grandad) hated the original name so much.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

Meant to add this to my post:
gently caress trying to sell things online but locally (i.e. FB Marketplace and Craigslist, not, like, eBay.)

SO MANY no shows, or people who stop replying. If you found another used car and don't want to buy mine, that's fine, just loving tell me.

I always end up having to deal with the goofballs that want to pay in silver bars and can't comprehend me preferring money.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, parents never discuss names. That's why we named both of our kids "Full Name at Birth". It's handy. It's printed right on the form.

In all seriousness that is a really irritating thing. "Let's name him John, after your father." Then everyone cries. No one ever says, "Let's name her Bertha-Hortense Chamberpot, after your insane, crack smoking, great aunt."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

Lmao

Also, my friends sister ended up renaming their kid a few weeks after it was born cos her dad (the kids grandad) hated the original name so much.

Goddamn, this makes me angry -- talk about a boundary violation. Nobody should have any say over a baby's name except for the parents.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My nephew had a baby last Saturday and both families are fighting over what his name should be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
With bats and chains I hope.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This is my son, Schism

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
English variants that refer to the grill as the barbecue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

English variants that refer to the grill as the barbecue.

Americans insisting that their weird version of English is the default.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

where do you think the word "barbecue" comes from

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

where do you think the word "barbecue" comes from

'From mid-17th century. Borrowed from Spanish barbacoa, from Taíno barbakoa (“framework of sticks”), the raised wooden structure the natives used to either sleep on or cure meat. Originally “meal of roasted meat or fish”.'

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

and where did the Taino live?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The grill / barbecue / broiler thing only bothers me when it fucks up my recipe searches and I get recipes that have "grilled " in the title but it's something just getting baked in an oven.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

and where did the Taino live?

The Caribbean. Maybe you could jump us forward a few steps and make whatever point it is you're working around to?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

that the US usage is, in fact, the default

obviously

sorry if somehow that wasn't clear

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

that the US usage is, in fact, the default
No it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I didn't say it was default but if we go there, of the anglo nations, it's 369 million north americans to 100 million Everyone Else. (And the only people who think canadian english isn't on the american half are old nazi anglo-canadians and weird queen humpers who have never spoken to a canadian.) The weird is clear when the UK, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand together can't even amass 1/3 of the prestige dialect. Subtract Canada and condemn it to the neutral zone the US is still the objective default if you're an alien. Plus all my family and friends in France and Germany default to US english despite UK being what they were taught in school.

I don't even write in american english Tiggum :( That's why it's annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Dec 1, 2021