Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Yeah I'd put my union at 95% Republican. It's just what you do when you're a six figure white guy who isn't performatively overeducated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

David Graeber makes this exact argument in Bullshit Jobs, which you should read if you haven't

Actually everyone in this forum should read The Dawn of Everything, his new book with David Wengrow. It is mind-blowing and makes his death even more tragic.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The pandemic did indeed create those material conditions but the left has spent it hiding from the working class

loving this as well. They have decided cozying up to Third Way Clintonite businessmen was a good idea, and we are seeing the results of that atm

The biggest Labor Movement in our generation and the political Left is spending it making memes for Biden and fighting culture war poo poo that literally just Dipshit chuds care about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bel Shazar posted:

It's sad that even these steps seem to be on the level as time travel or unicorn magic.

The best part of those things I mentioned is it doesn't rely on state or local government administration. The masks could be sent out via the postal service, and I imagine the hiring for contact tracers could be done using whatever they already do for the census. They could hire people to take free masks to unhoused communities as well. Hell, I used to operate a pet food bank, I'd love to do something like that.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

loving this as well. They have decided cozying up to Third Way Clintonite businessmen was a good idea, and we are seeing the results of that atm

The biggest Labor Movement in our generation and the political Left is spending it making memes for Biden and fighting culture war poo poo that literally just Dipshit chuds care about.

I mean the Left is over in cspam talking in lingo indistinguishable from the alt right bc if we do anything we get murdered like the Ferguson leaders lmao

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm not sure if it's a unique probkem to the states though.

We did have some issues here with some unions fighting vaccine mandates tooth and nail. Not all of them and not the ones you'd necessarily expect. Toronto Transit has had noticable service disruptions lately because something like 16% of unionized employees refused vaccination (and are now all on leave pending firing if they don't change their mind soon) and the union is currently fighting to get the mandate overturned. To be honest it's probably encouraging a lot of holdouts to stick it out. From what I recall from another example, when it became clear that the nurses union was fully behind mandatory vaccination and wasn't going to fight the government on it, a lot of the remaining holdouts just sucked it up and got it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wang Commander posted:

I mean the Left is over in cspam talking in lingo indistinguishable from the alt right bc if we do anything we get murdered like the Ferguson leaders lmao

My bad: I guess I should have clarified the Democratic party "political left" (I know what a joke that is to say, but it's what we got here), and not the grassroots actual left wing people, who want to organize

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

There's this, but I was more talking about the weirdo woke identity politics poo poo that unites both performative white activists doing it to maneuver for power in elite institutions and politicians and corporate ghouls who need cover for their socioeconomic exploitation of the working class (and especially racial minorities)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Well rather than do this tiresome "I didn't say that" song and dance why don't you just lay out what you are asserting directly.

Let's start with your first point.

Yes/no: do you honestly think that suspending all food production is necessary for an effective lockdown?

No, you still won't apologize for your personal attacks, and you don't get to shift the burden to me by reframing a small part of what I've said and ignoring the rest. The person making the claims or anyone else supporting them has the burden of proving them, not anyone else. You're still refusing to deal with clear points in an honest and clear manner.

Here's the list again, with a few more thrown in for good measure in bold. Remember that Lion's original claim was "two months" and "it's easy".

Solkanar512 posted:

Please explain, in detail, how this actually works.

Explain how you keep food production going. Explain how people continue to eat and where they get their food from.
Explain how you enforce the rules and where you get the manpower at the individual level. This is at the business/small town level.
Explain how you enforce the rules when a whole county or state decides it's not interested in following your rules. This is at the county/state level.
Explain how you get medical care to those who need it while maintaining the pipeline for medical goods that will expire within that 2 month window.
Explain how you continue a fuel supply line. Explain how other utilities like power and internet service are to be maintained.
Explain how the children of anyone working in the above is to be cared for as schools will be closed during this time period.
Explain how you deal with the fact that every other nation wouldn't be doing this and that you'd still have people bringing in the infection by traveling elsewhere after the fact.

Come on, I've seen you post this several times, clearly you've thought over all these issues and more, so let's hear it.

You stopped at food production because you think farming is no different than playing Stardew Valley. You didn't consider that this lockdown would be happening in the spring when seed/fertilizer needs to be delivered to farms, fields need to be plowed and sown, livestock is being born and that's before you consider shorter term livestock like chickens. Those people can't be under lockdown, how are you going to keep them safe and how do you prevent them from catching/passing covid-19 onto others? Asking this question is not the same as saying it's impossible.

You also didn't address the last bit where I specifically asked "how are people going to eat". Because presumably you need to have grocery delivery for 340 million Americans, so who is going to do that? Those delivery workers, as well as the folks who handle the upstream warehouses and whatnot. Those people can't be under lockdown, how are you going to keep them safe and how do you prevent them from catching/passing covid-19 onto others? Asking this question is not the same as saying it's impossible.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Wang Commander posted:

Yeah I'd put my union at 95% Republican. It's just what you do when you're a six figure white guy who isn't performatively overeducated

I’m in a trade union and I would say at my local level it’s 95%. On the International level it’s more Democrat. In a sense, I see it considering 4 of our largest companies are well, multibillion dollar global companies.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

The point is that if you're offering solutions like "bomb florida" and "destroy christianity" then you might as well be wishing for a magic unicorn to come and save you from Covid. I would prefer people discuss strategies and policies that might actually be doable rather than wishing for a benevolent dictator to come and save them. A couple of things I've mentioned before would be using something like the Defense Production Act to manufacture and distribute high quality N95 or equivalent masks to everyone in the US, or a federal jobs program for contact tracers. Those are things that could be done by the current government if it were actually taking Covid seriously.

Also, jokes about military might aside, you could implement fines and push on that front. Places don't close that should for a real lockdown? Heavy fines and a tax audit. Sure, the republicans will scream about it, but monetary punishment has long been a trend that even dumb broke brained libs get behind.

Executive orders would eventually get overturned by our garbage SC, but you could do a lot with the pen to help turn things around before they could rule on it.

Lockdowns, monthly stimulus for everyone who stays home/shuts down their business while we actually try to stop things, no more travel, and so on. Shut off all aid to countries who don't do the same, for a period of two to three months.

It's not that you could get to the China level of a lockdown, but you could go a lot further than we did last time. As for Churches, they regularly break federal law with preaching about who to vote for. Send the IRS, since there's a statue about that and they can be heavily fined over and over.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

black rights got to do marches and organize during this time, you’d think they would also identify themselves as “like Ferguson leaders”.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

black rights got to do marches and organize during this time, you’d think they would also identify themselves as “like Ferguson leaders”.

if "got to" you mean got heavily arrested, targeted, and now tracked. Also, let's give it another year. Comparing the bigger leaders of some of those protests and see if they're still alive. I suspect a large number will have died "tragically".

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Alctel posted:

Honestly I just don't know what the gently caress you do when 30% of your country refuses to get vaccinated or take any precautions at all.

Idk, what do you think a country would do if 30% of the population refused to pay taxes?

probably arrest them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

if "got to" you mean got heavily arrested, targeted, and now tracked. Also, let's give it another year. Comparing the bigger leaders of some of those protests and see if they're still alive. I suspect a large number will have died "tragically".

Yeah, and they still did things, knowing for a fact that could happen, instead of hiding under a rock.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

We did have some issues here with some unions fighting vaccine mandates tooth and nail. Not all of them and not the ones you'd necessarily expect. Toronto Transit has had noticable service disruptions lately because something like 16% of unionized employees refused vaccination (and are now all on leave pending firing if they don't change their mind soon) and the union is currently fighting to get the mandate overturned. To be honest it's probably encouraging a lot of holdouts to stick it out. From what I recall from another example, when it became clear that the nurses union was fully behind mandatory vaccination and wasn't going to fight the government on it, a lot of the remaining holdouts just sucked it up and got it.

The BC nurses Union originally opposed the vaccine mandate, got absolutely raked over the coals over it, the president stepped down for 'personal reasons' and they then backtracked on it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-nurses-union-president-resigns-1.6183335

Vasukhani posted:

Idk, what do you think a country would do if 30% of the population refused to pay taxes?

probably arrest them

What, a 1/3 of the country

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

No, you still won't apologize for your personal attacks, and you don't get to shift the burden to me by reframing a small part of what I've said and ignoring the rest. The person making the claims or anyone else supporting them has the burden of proving them, not anyone else. You're still refusing to deal with clear points in an honest and clear manner.

The most clear and honest way to deal with your questions is to take them one at a time, so let's start at the beginning. Then we can move on to the next and the next and so on.

quote:

Explain how you keep food production going.

Yes/no: do you honestly believe that an effective lockdown requires stopping food production?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Alctel posted:

The BC nurses Union originally opposed the vaccine mandate, got absolutely raked over the coals over it, the president stepped down for 'personal reasons' and they then backtracked on it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-nurses-union-president-resigns-1.6183335

What, a 1/3 of the country

Yeah, they'd probably only need to make a small demonstration of force to bring them in line. If they couldn't, well thats real end of USSR type stuff indicating the society is on its way out anyway.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 1, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

The most clear and honest way to deal with your questions is to take them one at a time, so let's start at the beginning. Then we can move on to the next and the next and so on.

Yes/no: do you honestly believe that an effective lockdown requires stopping food production?

Food production won't have to stop, but food shipping and transportation would be extremely tricky if not impossible.

But the biggest obstacle to an effective lockdown, even if the political and public will are both somehow there, is the unhoused population who don't have a place to quarantine in.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Food production won't have to stop, but food shipping and transportation would be extremely tricky if not impossible.

But the biggest obstacle to an effective lockdown, even if the political and public will are both somehow there, is the unhoused population who don't have a place to quarantine in.

In Melbourne they put them all up in hotels. Easy peasy.

The barrier to efficient lockdowns (under Delta at least) is absolutely the essential worker chain. Far too many people on here who WFH have absolutely no clue what it takes to keep a society ticking over long term.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

In Melbourne they put them all up in hotels. Easy peasy.

The barrier to efficient lockdowns (under Delta at least) is absolutely the essential worker chain. Far too many people on here who WFH have absolutely no clue what it takes to keep a society ticking over long term.

Worth adding is that China took advantage of what was still a mostly regionalized (if rapidly spreading) epidemic to lock down specific hotspots with tight restrictions and surrounding areas with looser ones with less impact on the country as a whole. Only a small fraction of the country actually had to go full on stop everything lockdown until the cases dropped off far enough. That is something other countries could have emulated in early stages, sure.

However, even in China, the logistics would have been much different if they tried it once covid was common everywhere. And as you say, harder still with Delta.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 1, 2021

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

What did the episode say?

It focused on the Facebook Files, which were some alleged leaks from an internal source at Facebook. The episode connected the dots between Facebook's business practices and the influence they had on real world events. Overall my takeaway was that Facebook intentionally engineered its platforms to increase engagement (and therefore revenue) regardless of the effects it has on, uh, humanity. Highly recommend a listen.

edit: i'm using the word "alleged" here because while I believe they are true, the WSJ published them, and Fuckerberg didn't deny their existence but claimed they were misconstrued, I'm just covering my rear end in case some pedant wants to come in here and play games.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 1, 2021

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Killer robot posted:

Worth adding is that China took advantage of what was still a mostly regionalized (if rapidly spreading) epidemic to lock down specific hotspots with tight restrictions and surrounding areas with looser ones with less impact on the country as a whole. Only a small fraction of the country actually had to go full on stop everything lockdown until the cases dropped off far enough. That is something other countries could have emulated, sure.

However, even in China, the logistics would have been much different if they tried it once covid was common everywhere. And as you say, harder still with Delta.

Worth noting that this is still how China is managing Covid. Outbreaks still occur. When they do occur, authorities enact strict but highly targeted policies. By keeping them targeted like that, you don't burn out the whole population. Chinese people would get fed up and break rules, too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Moderna booster got today. :toot: The worst that I had last time around was a sore arm and a killer headache. I could do without the headache but compared to some other folks I think that's getting off rather light.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

Oh for sure, I'm speaking hypothetically of what a nation with America's wealth could possibly do. Obviously not about what the actual nation of America is willing to do or able to do under our existing regime which is basically nothing. Taking care of the unhoused would be essential but of course is zero or negative priority to anyone in power.

E: hey the cost of solving homelessness is about on the order of the amount Democrats are getting set to spend on tax breaks for blue state McMansions. And they're the good guys! The other team is even worse!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2021

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

a better world is possible, you're just being blinded by christianity. Can you actually explain why this would be bad?

it has been 5 hours and many posts and not a single person has disagreed with this what the gently caress, i love this forum. the literal "government implanted mind control is good and you dislike it because you went to church" post
oh my god

i keep rereading it to see if i mistook something but loving no, lol, everyone here is just chillin with the mandated zombify guy. im in a They Live parody where I just put on the glasses and I twist my head left and see this loving post walking down the street, but then i realize the glasses have no lens

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

The worst submarine posted:

it has been 5 hours and many posts and not a single person has disagreed with this what the gently caress, i love this forum. the literal "government implanted mind control is good and you dislike it because you went to church" post
oh my god

i keep rereading it to see if i mistook something but loving no, lol, everyone here is just chillin with the mandated zombify guy. im in a They Live parody where I just put on the glasses and I twist my head left and see this loving post walking down the street, but then i realize the glasses have no lens

Thats what happens when thread shitters are allowed to just wander back in and engage in bad faith. I can see why people who have the first clue what is going on are driven away from here. If they yell about whatever it is enough and people become tired of engaging, they've successfully brought down the whole thread to a new level.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
How much of that is b/c people have that dude ignored

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

it has been 5 hours and many posts and not a single person has disagreed with this what the gently caress
Not being snarky but its the joys of the ignore list, especially if nobody quotes them.

Readability does suffer sometimes because i'll start a page and the first handful of posts are by ignored users.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

oh my god

Okan170 posted:

Thats what happens when thread shitters are allowed to just wander back in and engage in bad faith. I can see why people who have the first clue what is going on are driven away from here. If they yell about whatever it is enough and people become tired of engaging, they've successfully brought down the whole thread to a new level.

Fun fact: probes longer than 6 hours requested by an IK are subject to admin approval.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Ding!

Of course ignoring is useless when people constantly quote the poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oh my god

Do you uhhh actually think that the reason nobody bothered to argue with the "vivisection to fill the organ banks" guy over whether mind control is good or bad is because everyone agrees with him that being chipped would be lovely.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

Ding!

Of course ignoring is useless when people constantly quote the poo poo.

Yep. This is why "just ignore them" is not a viable alternative to proper moderation.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"why didn't everyone take the bait and launch a multipage derail?? It's bait, and it's hanging right there! You HAVE to take it!"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Okan170 posted:

nonsense, we need people that sound like they're writing dialogue for bad guys in dystopian sci-fi novels. for reasons.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Tarezax posted:

This is what it is, 100%. Continuing to engage with the guy isn’t a requirement.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

brugroffil posted:

"why didn't everyone take the bait and launch a multipage derail?? It's bait, and it's hanging right there! You HAVE to take it!"
If you & your pals need more than one post to say its stupid then that's really funny

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

Do you uhhh actually think that the reason nobody bothered to argue with the "vivisection to fill the organ banks" guy over whether mind control is good or bad is because everyone agrees with him that being chipped would be lovely.

It was never about that, it's about permitting bodily autonomy. Sorry liberty is such a scary idea. But I get it, gotta keep us alive so they can keep loving milking us

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

oh my god

He also soberly suggested carpet-bombing Florida.

Nobody's wasting their time on arguing with him, with or without ignore lists, for what I should hope are obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you & your pals need more than one post to say its stupid then that's really funny
And then he would reply and then you'd be squawking that nobody argued with that post etc

People have been arguing with him all day