Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a (non-subscription) app of choice for sending commands from an iPad or iPhone to a Windows PC? Kind of like a software equivalent to a Stream Deck. Thought it might be handy for triggering a bunch of annoying soundboards on voice chat set up with keyboard shortcuts on my PC that I can pass through via buttons on my iPad, or as a way to trigger common actions in Photoshop or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I asked if anyone had a suggestion to stop the embedded YouTube player starting playback when my thumb went anywhere near the preview image.

If anyone else gets as annoyed at that as I do, the Vinegar extension for Safari is $2 and replaces YouTube’s custom player with a standard HTML5 one:
https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Not only does this make it less obnoxious when scrolling, it also enables picture-in-picture mode, stops any ads appearing, allows casting via Airplay and keeps videos playing in the background.

Instant buy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Neurophonic posted:

I asked if anyone had a suggestion to stop the embedded YouTube player starting playback when my thumb went anywhere near the preview image.

If anyone else gets as annoyed at that as I do, the Vinegar extension for Safari is $2 and replaces YouTube’s custom player with a standard HTML5 one:
https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Not only does this make it less obnoxious when scrolling, it also enables picture-in-picture mode, stops any ads appearing, allows casting via Airplay and keeps videos playing in the background.

Instant buy.

Whoa do you use that and the YouTube site instead of the app and get no ads and it sucks less in general? That rules.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

priznat posted:

Whoa do you use that and the YouTube site instead of the app and get no ads and it sucks less in general? That rules.

Well I actually have YouTube Premium via an Indian address which is a buck a month, but that doesn’t stop the annoyance of the instant play while scrolling. But yes, this basically gives you the premium feature set for a one time small fee.

In fact, I still don’t have PiP in the app so it’s better…

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Musi is also pretty cool for playing YouTube in the background and removing ads, the free version is worth trying.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurophonic posted:

Well I actually have YouTube Premium via an Indian address which is a buck a month, but that doesn’t stop the annoyance of the instant play while scrolling. But yes, this basically gives you the premium feature set for a one time small fee.

In fact, I still don’t have PiP in the app so it’s better…

Chances seem high that Google would shut this down though right?

I’m doing the same but using ad block and running YT in a Desktop browser window. It’s OK but quite fiddly. I also can’t often get the resolution to go higher than 720p which is annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal, YouTube limits to 720p when outside their app. There's ways around it but it depends on the tool you're using.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There are a million MPD clients out there, any opinions on the best one?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a (non-subscription) app of choice for sending commands from an iPad or iPhone to a Windows PC? Kind of like a software equivalent to a Stream Deck. Thought it might be handy for triggering a bunch of annoying soundboards on voice chat set up with keyboard shortcuts on my PC that I can pass through via buttons on my iPad, or as a way to trigger common actions in Photoshop or something.

there are plenty of ways to connect from an ios device into a windows device, but it sounds like this is going to depend on what you are trying to do and what you want the UI to look like. for example, microsoft makes an official Remote Desktop app, and there are tons of terminal apps out there, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Chances seem high that Google would shut this down though right?

I’m doing the same but using ad block and running YT in a Desktop browser window. It’s OK but quite fiddly. I also can’t often get the resolution to go higher than 720p which is annoying.

It happens client side so worst case the app gets taken off the store, but it’ll stay on your device if you have it already. The YouTube player loads but is immediately replaced with the standard player.

I haven’t explicitly checked the resolution, but the YT embedded player would hit 1080p from memory, and this is the same source file.

The old YouTube5 desktop Safari extension got a cease and desist but it worked just fine for years afterward if you already had it. The only reason it stopped was their swap to an unsupported codec.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are plenty of ways to connect from an ios device into a windows device, but it sounds like this is going to depend on what you are trying to do and what you want the UI to look like. for example, microsoft makes an official Remote Desktop app, and there are tons of terminal apps out there, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for
It was more about sending macros/instructions to a Windows PC rather than a remote desktop.

I've found an app called Touch Portal (https://www.touch-portal.com/) which seems to do what I want so I'll need to try that out soon! There used to be a great one I bought ages ago called "Actions for iPad" but, like so many great apps, it just kinda never got updated for 64-bit and disappeared forever.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurophonic posted:

It happens client side so worst case the app gets taken off the store, but it’ll stay on your device if you have it already. The YouTube player loads but is immediately replaced with the standard player.

I haven’t explicitly checked the resolution, but the YT embedded player would hit 1080p from memory, and this is the same source file.

The old YouTube5 desktop Safari extension got a cease and desist but it worked just fine for years afterward if you already had it. The only reason it stopped was their swap to an unsupported codec.

Ok I bought it. 720 still seems to be the max option. But just so I’m not being dumb I’m running YT mobile in Firefox on my phone, is that right? I get all the other features and no ads it seems but the highest option is 720 still.

Even if that’s the case this is still better as the desktop site was fiddly and you couldn’t easily choose the res.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Red_Fred posted:

But just so I’m not being dumb I’m running YT mobile in Firefox on my phone, is that right?

Isn't it a Safari extension?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

101 posted:

Isn't it a Safari extension?

Yes it is but all browsers on iOS are just wrappers for Safari anyway. It seems to work the same in Safari and FF on my iPhone.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Yes it is but all browsers on iOS are just wrappers for Safari anyway. It seems to work the same in Safari and FF on my iPhone.

Are you sure it’s actually the extension working, and not maybe something built into Firefox?

I know all browsers are Safari views anyway, but Safari views in other apps don’t get access to the new Safari extensions. I too used Firefox until iOS 15 came out, and switched back to Safari for extension support because it just doesn’t work in Firefox.

To try something more visually obvious I have the Noir extension that restyles all pages to have a dark theme when dark mode is enabled. That 100% doesn’t kick in in Firefox.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Froist posted:

Are you sure it’s actually the extension working, and not maybe something built into Firefox?

I know all browsers are Safari views anyway, but Safari views in other apps don’t get access to the new Safari extensions. I too used Firefox until iOS 15 came out, and switched back to Safari for extension support because it just doesn’t work in Firefox.

To try something more visually obvious I have the Noir extension that restyles all pages to have a dark theme when dark mode is enabled. That 100% doesn’t kick in in Firefox.

Ah! Actually I think you’re right. Looks like all the features work in iOS after I disabled 1Blocker!

FF kind of works but not with all the features. :neckbeard:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
People who cant get PiP to work for youtube, check your account settings and make sure its enabled. Try it out!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It was more about sending macros/instructions to a Windows PC rather than a remote desktop.

I've found an app called Touch Portal (https://www.touch-portal.com/) which seems to do what I want so I'll need to try that out soon! There used to be a great one I bought ages ago called "Actions for iPad" but, like so many great apps, it just kinda never got updated for 64-bit and disappeared forever.

depending on your nerd level, another idea might be running a server on your computer that is reachable via ios shortcuts :getin:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Any suggestions for a reminder/tasks app with good widget implementation?

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I’ve had good luck with Things and Due

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for the Vinegar suggestion. Works great. I’ve noticed some videos max out at 720p and others max out at 1080p so I think it’s just dependent on whether or not the video was uploaded in 1080p?

Vegetable posted:

Any suggestions for a reminder/tasks app with good widget implementation?

There are a million task apps and each one has like a million reviews so ultimately pick whatever looks nicest to you IMO. There are no good widget implementations because of iOS limitations, ie if you’re looking for a widget that lets you tick off tasks without opening the app then that’s just simply not possible (anymore, used to be doable with the old style widgets). So all task app widgets are just essentially jpegs of a specific list that launch the app to that list on tap, something that all of the apps are capable of. The default Reminders app is p good now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is Vinegar better than Musi? I’ve been using Musi for a while now. It was a few bucks to remove their ads but it blocks YouTube ads and plays in the background.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well Vinegar is a Safari extension and Musi is a separate app from what I can tell so they’re not comparable.

Also the Brave browser automagically removes YouTube ads, saves for offline watching, and plays in the background, for free, too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also the Brave browser automagically removes YouTube ads, saves for offline watching, and plays in the background, for free, too.

The Brave browser is uh kinda bad. It only exists because the founder of the Brave company got forced out of his high-up job at Mozilla (makers of Firefox) when people dug up his public political donation records and found he had donated to ban same-sex marriage in California.

Brave is whole-hog on cryptocurrency junk. They created their own "token" and had a bit of a controversy where they lied to users and said "donate to your favorite content creators" but it turns out money was not going to your favorite content creators, but in fact users were just donating these cryptocurrency tokens back to the Brave company who was holding on to them until content creators signed a contract with Brave to get "paid", and I put that word in quotes because the creators would get "paid" these tokens instead of real money. Content creators generally said "lol" to this and refused to sign up with Brave.

A second cryptocurrency controversy happened when people figured out that Brave was injecting their own referral codes into the browser's URL bar when users visited popular cryptocurrency trading websites. So like, a user types in or clicks a link to visit Coinbase or whatever, and Brave silently appended "&referralcode=braveinc" or whatever onto the URL.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

As far as I’m aware, those cryptocurrency things are turned off by default and I don’t think it’s actually doing any mining. At either rate I knew about some of those things you posted and yeah I just use Brave to play some podcasts from people who for some dumbfuck reason only post their podcasts on YouTube because they refuse to move into the 21st century and embrace podcast apps.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just discovered the Svadilfari browser extension that enables gesture navigation in Safari. If you hate swiping back and forward from the screen edge (which gets pretty ridiculous on the 12.9” iPads), this is for you.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Oh, I can also confirm that StopTheMadness Mobile rules. If you use Safari to browse SA on an iPad, you’ve probably experienced videos auto-playing in the OSHA and Schad threads and also not having sound (I think desktop users can right click those and unmute them). StopTheMadness turns those into regular videos with standard video controls and also enables you to hear them! Also does this to videos on the rest of the internet.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 8, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bobfather posted:

Oh, I can also confirm that StopTheMadness Mobile rules. If you use Safari to browse SA on an iPad, you’ve probably experienced videos auto-playing in the OSHA and Schad threads and also not having sound (I think web users can right click those and unmute them). StopTheMadness turns those into regular videos with standard video controls and also enables you to hear them! Also does this to videos on the rest of the internet.
Tempted to try this out purely to get away from Google AMP!

Apparently it has some fixes that stop sites blocking copying images. Does it work for Google image search results?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’m glad to see StopTheMadness is available for iOS, I’ve enjoyed it for a long time on MacOS.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Anyone else having gmail syncing issues with outlook app? Stopped working randomly at some point yesterday, tried everything from reset, re-add, reinstall, gmail emails not loading at all. Sick of this app and all its errors but don’t know where else to go.

//edit this seemed to resolve itself sometime this morning. wooo

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 6, 2021

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Tempted to try this out purely to get away from Google AMP!

Apparently it has some fixes that stop sites blocking copying images. Does it work for Google image search results?

I tried out the optional "images in front" feature but was unable to directly save images from Google Images. I think that feature is mainly for Instagram.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DuckDuckGo doesn't do any of that google images shenanigans and links directly to the images FYI.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I keep thinking I should make the switch to DDG as my search engine. Are the results pretty comparable in quality to Google these days?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I keep thinking I should make the switch to DDG as my search engine. Are the results pretty comparable in quality to Google these days?

Pretty much. If you plug the same search into both of them you might get some slightly different results but they're basically comparable. I've been using DDG for a couple years now and don't miss google at all.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shortcuts are great but I hate having to authorize them. If I have an automation that runs when my phone connects to my car’s Bluetooth, don’t make me dig out my phone every time it runs to confirm it should run. Some of the HomeKit I understand since it can unlock your doors but just loving play the playlist when I get in my car.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Violator posted:

Shortcuts are great but I hate having to authorize them. If I have an automation that runs when my phone connects to my car’s Bluetooth, don’t make me dig out my phone every time it runs to confirm it should run. Some of the HomeKit I understand since it can unlock your doors but just loving play the playlist when I get in my car.

Yep I would love them to just run. I have a few set up that I ignore about half the time because I don’t want to grab my phone and click the dialog.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve been using DDG for about a year now and it handles about 95% of my queries just fine. If I need some more technical information or their fuzzy matching just plain fails then I need to hit up google but for general searches it’s plenty fine.

The one thing Google is insanely good at is intent, where you can have a search term with different meanings and Google can predict exactly what you mean. DDG just doesn’t have the sheer amount of personal data to do that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I’ve been using DDG for about a year now and it handles about 95% of my queries just fine. If I need some more technical information or their fuzzy matching just plain fails then I need to hit up google but for general searches it’s plenty fine.

The one thing Google is insanely good at is intent, where you can have a search term with different meanings and Google can predict exactly what you mean. DDG just doesn’t have the sheer amount of personal data to do that.

I find google is getting shittier and shittier. I was trying to look up different wool hat construction techniques a couple days ago and it was giving me tons of ads to buy wool hats, not tutorials or patterns. There are specialty nerd searches on websites it knows about that it just chokes on, and trying to get to the right website in the first place is harder and harder because worse websites SEO themselves to hell and back.

It is demonstrably worse and worse for everything I want to do with it because it wants to give me ads and products for sale and AMP pages and other services first on pretty much every search result.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone got a working Imgur upload shortcut yet? iOS 15 broke the one I was using that added img tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My complaint with google is you can't search reviews on stuff anymore. Any attempts get you five pages of SEO optimized "top ten X in <YEAR>" results.

It is the best option for technical questions though. I guess no one has found a way to monetize that yet.