Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Just click on Gift Bags and turn on Fort Joy mirror. It is in the arena, which is under a hatch in the ground in Griff's kitchen area, which is on the other side of the big shiny shrine with all the apples and baskets. Turn on endless runner, spirit vision, and better sleeping bags. Source meditation is up to you. Avoid the gardening and inventory mgmt ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

This game gave me aneurysms. God speed.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
One thing I like about DOS2 is that I don't have to rest in between most of my spells. They're just on cooldowns.

I hate having to rest to regain my spells. It's like the game doesn't want me to set a bunch of trash goblins on fire.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HopperUK posted:

Well I sure forgot to pause my Humble Choice again. Quote this post for:

House Flipper
Due Process
Timelie
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

I'm not too upset, I really wanted Wingspan and Turnip Boy, and Project Wingman's been on my list for ages.

I'm an idiot who redeemed all my humble games, and I gotta say i regret not giving most of those titles away.

Except Wrath: Aeon of Ruin. It's what I bought the bundle for and I'm a very happy camper! Still EA tho so still limited armoury/menagerie.

Stockwell posted:

Ill gladly take wrath if you still have it, I've got plat, cheers.
Lucky man!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

For the fall sale, I'll recommend Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin as a game that blindsided me and is 40% off at $24. I've been playing it over the past couple of weeks and absolutely love it, I think it is my favorite game that I've played this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1ue7EmUjU

It has a rewarding and compelling loop of short side-scrolling combat areas mixed with rice farming. The main character is Sakuna, a bratty harvest/combat goddess, whose stats improve with the quality of her rice crops. So you refine your rice year after year in a pretty detailed rice-growing simulator which directly impacts your combat statistics. The game runs on a 12-day year, split into 3-day seasons which are important for the rice-farming part of the game. So you structure your combat expeditions around the important times for your rice crop like sowing or harvesting. Then you use the materials you gather in combat to upgrade your character, by forging weapons & armor, enhancing your rice crop, or simply to make meals that grant buffs.

I don't really enjoy side-scrolling combat games, but Sakuna enthralled me. I suppose it is a combination of relatively quick combat areas with the turn around of providing items that help rice farming, so hunting for fertilizers or other materials to improve my farm did really motivate me. Also I found the game charming, it's not a ground-breaking narrative, but still rather cute. It also progresses at a nice pace, you start out ignorant of rice farming as is Sakuna, but the game gradually teaches you more and more as Sakuna's abilities also grow. The farming tasks become easier as and you are more confident in your ability to grow quality rice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i really love the voice acting in D:OS2 so far

thinking my party's gonna be red prince, fane, and beast so they can compete for the title of Most Endearingly Pompous rear end in a top hat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Red Prince has a pretty cool storyline.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Re Sakuna is there a longer-term time limit, or is it just the cycle of the seasons and I can chill out and let another year go past?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Lone Badger posted:

Re Sakuna is there a longer-term time limit, or is it just the cycle of the seasons and I can chill out and let another year go past?
No time limits like that in the game. Overall its an easy game because you'll get stronger each harvest, so if the combat gets too difficult you can simply focus on the rice for a while and come back to it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sakuna is a good game. My only gripe is that it's a third too long. It gets a bit repetitive. But it is definitely unique.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sakuna is a good game. My only gripe is that it's a third too long. It gets a bit repetitive. But it is definitely unique.

I remember people getting pretty hype over it when it first came out, but what is the general gameplay like? The rice harvesting to raise stats and optimize the character sounds fun as hell unless it's a mess of RNG, and upgrading the village is usually one of my favorite parts of any base focused RPG.

I vaguely remember something like the rice mechanic is randomized so you have to really lean into it and learn the systems in order to improve both the quality of the rice and the yield, there's no real walk-through that can help that particular aspect.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

From what I've read elsewhere the rice growing bits are very historically accurate and will actually teach you a lot about rice.

It's also a balancing act and tradeoff between yield, aroma, etc.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 1, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

You can get exactly as into the rice farming as you want, from automating it completely to controlling it hour by hour to get a specific result. The difference between a masterful harvest and a dunno what you are doing one isn't -that- far off, most of the difference is just redistributing which stats get boosted the most. Plus if you are bad at the farming you can just keep doing bad harvests until you reach the same stat level, there's no time limit. The farming is basically a self imposed difficulty level.

It's a fantastic game honestly, full of charm.

Edit: The game actually does walk you through everything you need to know wrt the farming, it just doles out that info incredibly slowly. Probaply to maintain the difficulty curve since farming feeds directly into combat stats.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 1, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I've passed the 600-hour mark in Monster Hunter World Iceborne. You guys should buy that if you haven't. Incidentally, if you haven't heard:

:siren: Monster Hunter World is removing the MH Movie and Assassin's Creed collab quests. You have like 20 hours to get the items from those quests before the quests are taken down. :siren:

On PC you'll likely be able to mod that content back in if you want but might as well do them now if you care about that kind of thing.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Det_no posted:

I've passed the 600-hour mark in Monster Hunter World Iceborne. You guys should buy that if you haven't. Incidentally, if you haven't heard:

:siren: Monster Hunter World is removing the MH Movie and Assassin's Creed collab quests. You have like 20 hours to get the items from those quests before the quests are taken down. :siren:

On PC you'll likely be able to mod that content back in if you want but might as well do them now if you care about that kind of thing.

Waste my precious time on a game with a mere 54% steam review rating? *scoff* I think not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Det_no posted:

I've passed the 600-hour mark in Monster Hunter World Iceborne. You guys should buy that if you haven't.

I am bad at games. I think I would find a game of nothing but highly-technical bossfights to be too frustrating to be fun, even if it is good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Lone Badger posted:

I am bad at games. I think I would find a game of nothing but highly-technical bossfights to be too frustrating to be fun, even if it is good.

There are some of those, but the difficulty of most of them is "not too bad once you get the hang of it". There's a nice rhythm to the game where you go back and forth between hard fights that kick your rear end and then easier fights where the challenge isn't so much surviving as it is winning quickly and efficiently to optimize your grind. The hard fights are definitely hard, but everything isn't cranked up to 11 all the time.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah I dunno. It has a really long, gradual ramp up. I found it enjoyable and I had only played about five hours of monster hunter before World. There's seldom any one-hit kill "do or die" stuff, none at all for the first 30+ hours, and even the attacks that do come close to that can be mitigated with easy to understand mechanics ala "fire bad so I'll wear my anti-fire blanket".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Lone Badger posted:

I think you will find that Furi is in fact extremely fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I burned out on the Monster Hunter games I've played with my friends not because of the difficulty of the fights, but because the grind is endless and tedious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

Reviews and discussions are loving great and borderline essential for older games. If I have a question about some niche 15 year old title there’s a good chance I won’t be able to find a subreddit or a forum, but steam will always have a medium where I can at least try to get my questions answered and I’ve found they almost always do

Removing reviews and discussions because gamers are scum is the same logic that has channeled everyone and all information into obscure discords and makes it impossible to archive critical information and discussions

Steam forums existing at all also serve as an unintentional test of polish quality.

Like when you see people posting about bugs, and regardless of if they have sent in an Official Bug Report on top people get really defensive about how the dev totally cares about bugs but only listens to their personal forum/discord so there. Bonus if they go on to declare how talking about bugs on the publicly visible steam forum is wasting everyone's time and/or trolling.

Compare, tiny niche indie games like MiniLAW, where within a few hours of posting on the steam forums about an insane never seen before in testing edge case soft lock your save bug (I was punched while exiting a door and it trapped me out of bounds and the game autosaves your exact position), the dev looking at the steam forum fixed it in less than a day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, for all the weird toxicity and bandwagoning that has arisen from Steam reviews/discussions, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives imo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will be playing monster hunter rise as soon as it is out on pc but for whatever reason my hype levels are at about 20% what they were for monster hunter world

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I will be playing monster hunter rise as soon as it is out on pc but for whatever reason my hype levels are at about 20% what they were for monster hunter world
If you, like me, had World on PC as your first game. Then higher hype levels may be due to knowing "Oh that game was cool, and every question I've asked about Rise has been answered with 'They have that but they made that cooler with X' "

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

lol I'm already stuck at chargen because i'm worried about picking the wrong/trap skills :bang:

Those skills cost like 200 gold which is nothing. You can literally just go to the shop and buy whatever skill you didn't pick.
Also I don't remember there being any particularly bad skills, they're all useful. It's more about how you use them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

If you, like me, had World on PC as your first game. Then higher hype levels may be due to knowing "Oh that game was cool, and every question I've asked about Rise has been answered with 'They have that but they made that cooler with X' "

Except Lance. Every other weapon got what was unique to Lance and Lance didn't get anything new because apparently gently caress Lance players.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Det_no posted:

I really liked MHW, but it was the first game that I played with these time-limited quests and log-in bonuses and I couldn't wrap my head around why they existed in this game I payed for. I imagine it will be even worse in the next one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

pentyne posted:

I remember people getting pretty hype over it when it first came out, but what is the general gameplay like? The rice harvesting to raise stats and optimize the character sounds fun as hell unless it's a mess of RNG, and upgrading the village is usually one of my favorite parts of any base focused RPG.

I vaguely remember something like the rice mechanic is randomized so you have to really lean into it and learn the systems in order to improve both the quality of the rice and the yield, there's no real walk-through that can help that particular aspect.

You know how in Persona half the game is dungeon crawling while the other half is doing confidants? Well in Sakuna that is split between doing action focused side-scrolling level and farming. You need to complete all the levels to beat the game, but you also need to farm in order to become more powerful. You typically have like eight days or so a year, with only six or so can be used for farming. So the way it works is that you split half the days dedicated to farming and the other half is dedicated to doing levels. The levels are a bit hard at first but your character levels up and gets ingredients to make better rice that makes you stronger.

It's a clever formula, however it overstays its welcome. The game is around 30 hours long when it should be 20 at most. And the story of the game doesn't ramp up until when it should be ending. I'd much rather play Sakuna than generic RPG#19239 or generic shooter #39349, but approach it as if you are playing one of those wacky and endearing Nintendo DS or Dreamcast games that while not winning any GOTY awards, it is a memorable and overall enjoyable experience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

One thing I like about DOS2 is that I don't have to rest in between most of my spells. They're just on cooldowns.

I hate having to rest to regain my spells. It's like the game doesn't want me to set a bunch of trash goblins on fire.

:hmmyes:

D&D is the worst.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rebel Blob posted:

For the fall sale, I'll recommend Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin as a game that blindsided me and is 40% off at $24. I've been playing it over the past couple of weeks and absolutely love it, I think it is my favorite game that I've played this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1ue7EmUjU

It has a rewarding and compelling loop of short side-scrolling combat areas mixed with rice farming. The main character is Sakuna, a bratty harvest/combat goddess, whose stats improve with the quality of her rice crops. So you refine your rice year after year in a pretty detailed rice-growing simulator which directly impacts your combat statistics. The game runs on a 12-day year, split into 3-day seasons which are important for the rice-farming part of the game. So you structure your combat expeditions around the important times for your rice crop like sowing or harvesting. Then you use the materials you gather in combat to upgrade your character, by forging weapons & armor, enhancing your rice crop, or simply to make meals that grant buffs.

I don't really enjoy side-scrolling combat games, but Sakuna enthralled me. I suppose it is a combination of relatively quick combat areas with the turn around of providing items that help rice farming, so hunting for fertilizers or other materials to improve my farm did really motivate me. Also I found the game charming, it's not a ground-breaking narrative, but still rather cute. It also progresses at a nice pace, you start out ignorant of rice farming as is Sakuna, but the game gradually teaches you more and more as Sakuna's abilities also grow. The farming tasks become easier as and you are more confident in your ability to grow quality rice.

Throwing in me endorsement for this game as well. It is extremely good and really fun. I loved the characters and storyline.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

Except Lance. Every other weapon got what was unique to Lance and Lance didn't get anything new because apparently gently caress Lance players.

To be fair, are you even surprised at this point? Lance players have been getting hosed over since practically day one, the only time we actually got something new and good was World.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

To be fair, are you even surprised at this point? Lance players have been getting hosed over since practically day one, the only time we actually got something new and good was World.

Not surprised, just disappointed. :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm going to plug Rage 2 on a 70% discount. Yeah the open world does it no favours, but the combat is surprisingly arcadey and fun once you get some powers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rage 2 has the issue where all the fun powers/guns are less useful than just clicking heads, making them totally useless.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pentyne posted:

There are good guides now, but for a little while people were just taking rice farming tips from Japan's actual Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries' website.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Rage 2 has the issue where all the fun powers/guns are less useful than just clicking heads, making them totally useless.

I can't really agree, I used powers a lot while being up in everyone's face all the time.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

To bring GOG back up again, I really wish the Dune rts was on there but im sure its caught up in licensing hell

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to plug Rage 2 on a 70% discount. Yeah the open world does it no favours, but the combat is surprisingly arcadey and fun once you get some powers.

I enjoyed Rage 2 when I played it and the Ghosts DLC earlier this year. The combat felt frantic and fun and you have a cool toolset to work with if you make the effort to unlock everything. It also doesn't overstay its welcome, which feels rare for an open world game with that many icons on the map. I'd say it's ideal if you're looking for something that's Far Cry-ish but without any stealth gameplay, just the parts after you've been detected and everything's exploding.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

finally getting round to finishing cod infinite warfare and it's just comical how much it's star citizen but actually good and fun. there's a nice bit of well written character work in amongst the oorah mil sci fi dialogue, it looks gorgeous, plays great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Det_no posted:

I really loved MHW, kind of a bummer that they are removing content. Is it because of licensing issues?