Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Peak ideology there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

how is facebook able to pull off the Second Life scam again. these rich people have the memory of a goldfish. no one wants to do business meetings in VR chat you tools

I imagine they believe the hype reasoning was sound, it was the platform that failed. This time the idea will surely live up to its potential.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rutibex posted:

how is facebook able to pull off the Second Life scam again. these rich people have the memory of a goldfish. no one wants to do business meetings in VR chat you tools

I do really want spatial audio for different people “positioned” around me, though, because that makes it so so much easier to track conversations

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Skippy McPants posted:

Fun cross-post from the Hardspace: Shipbreaker thread. It's a game about being trapped in debt slavery by a megalithic corporation, but apparently, it's unions that're the real threat!

https://twitter.com/Gender_Thief/status/1465325841458647056

I can see where they come from if they bought a game about dismantling space ships and the story comes in the way of their goal of dismantling space ships

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Rutibex posted:

Meta in it's current form is stupid and Facebook knows it is stupid. The real reason behind all of this is the worry at Facebook is VR could be a going concern in 20 or 30 years. And who is going to still use text social media once it takes off under some other brand? So rather than sit on their butts and wait to become the next MySpace, Meta is nothing more than an early dibs to scare off future potential competition. Essentially squatting on market share before there is a market to lay the foundations of a monopoly. If it fails, they have the money to weather it, and if VR does become a thing then they don't even have to be good at it as who's going to compete with a company with the resources of Facebook with a decade head start?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

finally, my posts will be useful in producing something of value

Fertilizer always has value!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rutibex posted:

having money and being smart are two different things.

like if you're a poor and you have to live with reality then if you're gonna succeed at anything you need to learn from mistakes and apply critical thinking because when you fail you have to live with the consequences and can't just get another million bucks from dad to try another dumb idea.

rich idiots notably lack risk-avoidance so they blow tons of money on multiple terrible business schemes and then accidentally succeed once, and then write a book about how the most important thing is "not being afraid of failure" when the real key to their success was winning the lottery and being born with incredible amounts of unearned wealth and privilege

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just make it illegal to not use Metaverse duh

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ymgve posted:

I can see where they come from if they bought a game about dismantling space ships and the story comes in the way of their goal of dismantling space ships

Also, lynx as a corporation is so evil it's played for laughs, but how much worse is it than real life?

* You have an interesting job where you work with your hands, and also get to fly with a jetpack
* Your boss doesn't hassle you during your shift
* Oh it's dangerous? You have infinite respawns. That's not a game thing, it's in the story. It costs money but you're already so far in debt that it's meaningless
* Food and housing completely paid for. The story implies that there is plenty of entertainment available at jacked up prices, but against, already so far in debt.

The main issue is that like most physically-intensive jobs your ability to do it will shut down within 20 years and you'll still be a gazillion dollars in debt, but if you're anti-union under modern day conditions, why would the conditions in the game change anything?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Skippy McPants posted:

Fun cross-post from the Hardspace: Shipbreaker thread. It's a game about being trapped in debt slavery by a megalithic corporation, but apparently, it's unions that're the real threat!

https://twitter.com/Gender_Thief/status/1465325841458647056

Lol but also it's Reddit what do you expect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1465429316062351361

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I for one welcome our new chicken nugget overlords

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
hell yeah gray goo this poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
That's corn

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hurry up and plug me into the loving Matrix already

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what do they taste like?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Also, lynx as a corporation is so evil it's played for laughs, but how much worse is it than real life?

* You have an interesting job where you work with your hands, and also get to fly with a jetpack
* Your boss doesn't hassle you during your shift
* Oh it's dangerous? You have infinite respawns. That's not a game thing, it's in the story. It costs money but you're already so far in debt that it's meaningless
* Food and housing completely paid for. The story implies that there is plenty of entertainment available at jacked up prices, but against, already so far in debt.

The main issue is that like most physically-intensive jobs your ability to do it will shut down within 20 years and you'll still be a gazillion dollars in debt, but if you're anti-union under modern day conditions, why would the conditions in the game change anything?

they do literally kill you as a precondition of employment and you exist as a biorobot with a killswitch installed which if anything makes the whole unionization element hilarious because it is so demonstrably not a threat to the system they don't bother to liquidate and replace union agitators even though it is actually effortless to do so

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The first contracts for workers in space are definitely going to have "we can kill you " clauses in them but worded in a a very business savvy way

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The first contracts for workers in space are definitely going to have "we can kill you " clauses in them but worded in a a very business savvy way

we've already accepted that the first people to walk on Mars will probably die there and there and a million people would still probably sign up

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
those few floating lost cosmonauts will have some company at last

beep

beep

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Bakers Cousin posted:

They won't kill you, no no!

They simply won't provide you with goods and services you are unable or unwilling to pay for, such as: continuous supply of oxygen,

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Why would they even need to write it explicitly in the contract? If you're in space you're never not trapped in a high-tech coffin, so your boss could just shut off your load-bearing IoT poo poo remotely and fabricate evidence that you maliciously sabotaged your own oxygen supply.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Or they could "enhance" your lungs in some fashion "for your safety during an unlikely (but non-zero possiblity) hard vacuum event".

Breathing as a service.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Right to Air means right to decompress

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Original tweet deleted:

context: she's a cool amputee actor whose advanced prosthetic is getting taken back because she isn't boosting it enough on the 'gram

https://twitter.com/aannggeellll/status/1322720241277960195?s=20

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

imagine some body pitching all this then getting a response , but isn’t that just second life, followed by : yes but this time without the flying penises.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

alternately will one have the ability to VR flying penis bomb meetings in the meta verse?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The state of VR on launch with the first Vive and Oculus was so awful I think the few people who were interested enough to really try it out were immediately turned off. They just rushed out some lovely headsets way too early.

I still can't figure out what Zuck is doing with this meta stuff but it's probably not a VR chat room

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

context: she's a cool amputee actor whose advanced prosthetic is getting taken back because she isn't boosting it enough on the 'gram

:capitalism:
:(((((

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1464830700746510337

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ymgve posted:

just FYI it doesn't at all. your actual interaction with the game is either upgrading your equipment or salvaging ships to get more currency to upgrade you equipment to salvage ships better (its pretty fun)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

The state of VR on launch with the first Vive and Oculus was so awful I think the few people who were interested enough to really try it out were immediately turned off. They just rushed out some lovely headsets way too early.

I still can't figure out what Zuck is doing with this meta stuff but it's probably not a VR chat room

VR is something most people fundamentally don't want, even the perfect headset wouldn't have set of any kind of "VR revolution"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

VR is something most people fundamentally don't want, even the perfect headset wouldn't have set of any kind of "VR revolution"

that’s why they have to come up with a way to make your employer force it on you

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

nobody was clamoring for an internet connected toaster either, but here we are

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

that’s why they have to come up with a way to make your employer force it on you

yeah, no one wants or :airquote:needs:airquote: to use linkedin but good luck getting roles w/o it

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Honest Thief posted:

yeah, no one wants or :airquote:needs:airquote: to use linkedin but good luck getting roles w/o it

Last time I was on LinkedIn it was just Nextdoor for people who work too much. All boomer memes and complaints.

Does it have any business functionality left and do companies really still pay attention to it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It depends on your industry and role. I used to work with a lot of oil and gas folks and there’s a lot of antivax statements from them. However in my current customer facing industrial tech role I’ve added enough people that my LinkedIn feed is mainly just new products, partnerships, “visit us at <trade show>” and the like. it’s directly relevant to my job so it’s worth a skim.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

just another instance of science "news" and scientists hyping their discoveries out of proportion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Naija_PR/status/1465604959685255168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think they figured out that he was quoting the daily show