Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Maybe trying to get a feel for you by setting up some time boxes? I've certainly worked with even very senior people who can get lost in rabbit holes so the TL setting up some parameters until he knows if you'll get lost going on safari makes some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Yeah that makes sense too. We'll see how it goes. Probably speeds things up right now given he knows more than I do. Guess I was just surprised by things not feeling exactly the same as my old team.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

So, a few new developments on my hunt for a 100% remote embedded position with one of the big boys:

- I have my "on-site" interviews with Google next week. The five interviews are split over two days, with two on the first day and three on the second day. I was sent a pile of setup info for Google Meet, as well as an NDA about not revealing their interview questions or details on projects they discuss. :ssh:

- A Meta recruiter contacted me out of the blue just this morning about an embedded position in their new AR/VR push. I have a call with her this Thursday to talk about it.

- An Amazon recruiter contacted me about leading some new product team that has nothing to do with embedded. I explained what it was that I actually do, and he agreed that it had nothing to do with the position he was filling. He promised to pass me along internally. Nothing has come from it, and nothing probably will. The guy seemed super disorganized.

- A Roku recruiter contacted me all gung-ho about embedded positions and he keeps asking a random question, disappearing for several days, and then reappearing again to ask another question. At least he is keeping in contact, but I hope this isn't a sign of how disorganized Roku is inside their organization. I mean... do they want to fill positions or not? This guy has been playing hide-and-seek for about two weeks, now...

- I submitted an application to Twitter. I received an automated rejection mail 8 days later. Never even spoke to a person...

- I have another call with a smaller company tomorrow. Probably just with their HR, though the hiring manager may jump in there. It's a longshot, but I'm curious as to what they're offering. Their Glassdoor reviews look good, and the salaries are decent-ish.

- Another recruiter for a recently-acquired start-up pinged me about an embedded position and is waiting for me to set up a call with her. It's a company that makes ovens, of all things. The recruiter is gung-ho about the position being 100% remote and the company sending me "whatever I need to get the job done", so I'm picturing my office being filled with half-assembled ovens...

- I've had two other, smaller companies that were very eager to speak with me (they mailed me to set up a call less than 24 hours after the application was submitted), but they were offering far less than my current salary.

- I've got about ten other applications in at various places, but I haven't heard anything about any of them. Some of that might be due to the Thanksgiving holiday, or they may just decide to wait until they get a pile of resumes and then review them all at once. Either way, I'm not terribly optimistic about them. They are mostly LinkedIn impulse applications, anyway, that I submitted in the hope of perhaps finding a diamond in the rough.

All of these are for 100% remote embedded positions (or so they say). In general, if I apply somewhere, I get nowhere or get lowballed. If a recruiter contacts me, then at least the process gets started pretty quickly and I skip a lot of the initial phone screens, resume filters, and other games. All of the recruiters that have contacted me have done it through LinkedIn, so that's definitely the place to be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hendersa posted:

- Another recruiter for a recently-acquired start-up pinged me about an embedded position and is waiting for me to set up a call with her. It's a company that makes ovens, of all things. The recruiter is gung-ho about the position being 100% remote and the company sending me "whatever I need to get the job done", so I'm picturing my office being filled with half-assembled ovens...

I love this option.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Don't burn down your house when you're trying to debug why the oven won't turn off when it gets too hot. :ohdear:

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

hendersa posted:

- A Roku recruiter contacted me all gung-ho about embedded positions and he keeps asking a random question, disappearing for several days, and then reappearing again to ask another question. At least he is keeping in contact, but I hope this isn't a sign of how disorganized Roku is inside their organization. I mean... do they want to fill positions or not? This guy has been playing hide-and-seek for about two weeks, now...

It could just mean that the embedded positions aren't the highest priority and Recruiting is kinda poo poo.
If you haven't already, I think it's worth shooting an email to the recruiter saying you've got an interview coming up at Google but that you like Roku and were really hoping to interview with them. If they're any good that should get them to prioritize you enough to schedule something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can confirm that Google is willing to speed things along a little if you let them know you’ve got other places waiting in the wings.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone hear any stories about working at Roku? I'm not personally interested, but they've completely burned through any good will with me as a consumer in the last year, and I'm wondering if that "disorganization" carries over into employment.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Mniot posted:

It could just mean that the embedded positions aren't the highest priority and Recruiting is kinda poo poo.
If you haven't already, I think it's worth shooting an email to the recruiter saying you've got an interview coming up at Google but that you like Roku and were really hoping to interview with them. If they're any good that should get them to prioritize you enough to schedule something.
I did let the Roku recruiter know (several days ago) that I had scheduled interviews with Google and that he needed to talk details with me and line up calls/interviews ASAP if they thought I was a good fit for something. He hasn't gotten back to me. :shrug:

You'd think Roku would be all over their embedded recruiting, since they have actual physical products under development...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

Can confirm that Google is willing to speed things along a little if you let them know you’ve got other places waiting in the wings.

😭

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hendersa posted:

You'd think

dont think, this is recruiting. do not expect this process to be rational

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

dont think, this is recruiting. do not expect this process to be rational
This is key.

It is impossible to exaggerate how shambolic the hiring processes of 99% of companies are. Don't expect them to make any sense at all, especially from your outside perspective. Things stop and start, you get ghosted, you get recontacted out of the blue, the interviewer will be inexplicably hostile (or incompetent), and on and on. Just keep applying and interviewing and don't waste any brain cycles trying to figure out what's going on inside the black box that is the modern corporation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As far as I can tell there's zero qualifications to be a recruiter

A lot of them if they had any college at all were a literary major or "communications" major and think the value add they provide is their interpersonal skills

Ability to connect engineers with hiring managers and discuss anything at a technical level, if that ability exists at all, is a complete accident

You still need to be nice to them or they'll can your application

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my degree and phd are in a discipline in the humanities, miss me with that bullshit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not stem vs humanities, its literacy and basic recognition of the fact that you cant have 7 years of exp on a technology 2 years old vs not

its fine american tradition, because american undergrad and grad is great but american k12 is 99% dog poo poo, that the undergrad and grad education poo poo is what matters. and that attitude was exported all throughout the world in techland. well, in putertouchin this is more true, but recruiter is a middle school high school job

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
same deal w teaching ethics to undergrads btw. ethics teaching is 95% finished by middle of high school and 80% finished by start of middle school, so profs teaching undergrads are trying to remediate the failures of overworked elementary school teachers and parents

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hadlock posted:

As far as I can tell there's zero qualifications to be a recruiter
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach recruit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achmed Jones posted:

my degree and phd are in a discipline in the humanities, miss me with that bullshit

As a PhD holder, you're surely aware of the proportion of students who sleepwalk through the undergraduate classes in your field. Those are the people who go on to be recruiters.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

As a PhD holder, you're surely aware of the proportion of students who sleepwalk through the undergraduate classes in your field. Those are the people who go on to be recruiters.

absolutely - my field, your field, all the fields, and the students who slack are premed and prelaw and lit and business and everything else. poo poo on recruiters for being idiot assholes and im with ya. poo poo on them for being lit or communications majors and im throwing some side eye

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm just going off my own evidence of getting a really bad recruitment message, looking them up on linked in and digging into their education. The overwhelming majority of the "worst" (my own subjective ranking) are literary or English majors. I did stumble across two who were sports medicine therapist majors though which I thought was especially interesting

I also only have two friends who are English majors, so it's entirely possible I just don't get along with English majors :iiam:

The best teacher I had in high school was a humanities teacher, and she throws excellent Christmas parties, and I'm best friends with her kids

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Some of my best friends have BAs.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I accepted an offer earlier this week, but now I'm in the dumb wait for background check and everything before I put in notice at my current employer. They've already sent it off the third party background check provider who they said should be contacting me "later this week" to start the process. Well it's Friday and I still haven't heard from them.

Looking it up this provider seems to be notoriously slow, like I horror stories of them taking weeks to months with people. Worse yet, plenty of stories of them loving up in astronomically bad ways like reporting people as felons when they aren't, being totally unable to work around any snag with employment verification, etc. So now I get to stress about it potentially for weeks.

I just want to be done with this.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

wilderthanmild posted:

So I accepted an offer earlier this week, but now I'm in the dumb wait for background check and everything before I put in notice at my current employer. They've already sent it off the third party background check provider who they said should be contacting me "later this week" to start the process. Well it's Friday and I still haven't heard from them.

Looking it up this provider seems to be notoriously slow, like I horror stories of them taking weeks to months with people. Worse yet, plenty of stories of them loving up in astronomically bad ways like reporting people as felons when they aren't, being totally unable to work around any snag with employment verification, etc. So now I get to stress about it potentially for weeks.

I heard in a team meeting yesterday that apparently covid is causing even worse delays than normal with background checks for some reason, and the companies that do them were already pretty terrible. Mine last year took like three or four weeks and it’s also been taking forever for people we’ve been trying to hire since then as well.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

chglcu posted:

I heard in a team meeting yesterday that apparently covid is causing even worse delays than normal with background checks for some reason, and the companies that do them were already pretty terrible. Mine last year took like three or four weeks and it’s also been taking forever for people we’ve been trying to hire since then as well.

It makes sense. Huge amount of people moving jobs in a time when it's also hard to keep staff, I'm sure they are understaffed and worked to the limit.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

chglcu posted:

the companies that do them were already pretty terrible.
The pandemic has been a boon for those companies. Not only can they justify their slow response, but they're swimming in money as more people quit and find new jobs than ever before.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

So now I get to stress about it potentially for weeks.

What background check company? I felt the same way during my wait but I think we're stressing unnecessarily. The company that wants to hire you isn't going to let you go easily this late in the process & they understand how incompetent the background check place can be.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

a dingus posted:

What background check company? I felt the same way during my wait but I think we're stressing unnecessarily. The company that wants to hire you isn't going to let you go easily this late in the process & they understand how incompetent the background check place can be.

FirstAdvantage. I haven't heard from them to even start the process yet. I'm going to check in with the HR rep that was onboarding me if I still haven't heard from them soon.

Even if it does work out fine but just take forever to get done, it's just gonna make things annoying in my current job as after the 1st of next month a whole bunch of new stuff kicks off here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

FirstAdvantage. I haven't heard from them to even start the process yet. I'm going to check in with the HR rep that was onboarding me if I still haven't heard from them soon.

Even if it does work out fine but just take forever to get done, it's just gonna make things annoying in my current job as after the 1st of next month a whole bunch of new stuff kicks off here.

Annoying for them, not for you.

If you want something to do while you wait for the background check company to actually get to you, dig up supporting documentation like W2s that reflect your prior employment/education timespans, and redact the money amounts. When the background check company invariably screws up their research, they'll just have real supporting info in front of them rather than having to contact you for more info and round trip that request.

I've learned my lesson from dealing with HireRight and their bullshit that I have all the W2s and my college transcripts just in a Dropbox folder and I just have the whole pile of documentation ready to go.

I remind you to redact the money amounts because whatever documentation you provide them will become part of the report that they give the company. They do not need to know your prior salary.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

HireRight and their bullshit

I had the exact same bullshit from them. They said my last day at company X was 1.5 years after the actual date and then asked for a W2 from 2014.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
HireRight claimed my degree came from another institution that I never attended. Fortunately nobody cared that it didn't match my resume, but it's concerning that they can gently caress up so badly

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The place my current employer used was giving me poo poo about uploading my high school diploma to confirm I had graduated. I asked them how it wasn't their job to figure this out since they had the name of the school which still exists. And who the hell would care about someone in their 40s, being hired at director level, having graduated from high school 30 years ago.

They decided to just "close" their research and send over the report. Which I'm sure no one read, because it's basically just a checkbox item for the recruiting team.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I have a BS and a masters from the same school, with a several-year gap between graduating from the first program and starting the next.

HireRight came back to me saying that, according to their records, I took 10 years getting my BS and never got the second degree.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The older I get the more impressed I am with the ability of how far "I'm not going to do that" gets me

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet the first HireRight employee never completed elementary school. Now they're so deep in the background check biz they can't actually teach anyone to do it right or else they'll be found out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

a dingus posted:

I bet the first HireRight employee never completed elementary school. Now they're so deep in the background check biz they can't actually teach anyone to do it right or else they'll be found out.

They just made up some random bullshit that turned out exactly right so now everyone thinks they have some secret sauce.

We're like 2/3 the way through an amazon prime orignal movie screenplay.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Annoying for them, not for you.

If you want something to do while you wait for the background check company to actually get to you, dig up supporting documentation like W2s that reflect your prior employment/education timespans, and redact the money amounts. When the background check company invariably screws up their research, they'll just have real supporting info in front of them rather than having to contact you for more info and round trip that request.

I've learned my lesson from dealing with HireRight and their bullshit that I have all the W2s and my college transcripts just in a Dropbox folder and I just have the whole pile of documentation ready to go.

I remind you to redact the money amounts because whatever documentation you provide them will become part of the report that they give the company. They do not need to know your prior salary.

Luckily I do have my diplomas and every W2 I've ever received, all digitized. Good call on redacting the salary info. I'll make separate versions with that info redacted.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm coming to terms with the idea that I need to get a new job, my current company is turning into an embarrassing disaster and they'll probably lay me off anyway. The recruiters in my inbox smell blood in the water, lol.

It's a fintech company (ugh) and I think I'm paid well... enough that I worry that I will not be able to find something else with similar comp. I live in NYC but I know there's a lot more remote jobs these days. After working from home for nearly two years, I guess I'd be fine with that.

What are the most reliable sites to check compensation data these days?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

levels.fyi

Glassdoor is trash now

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
It would be nice if levels.fyi had more game industry info. I have no idea what’s actually decent these days beyond “a bit shittier than everything else.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

chglcu posted:

It would be nice if levels.fyi had more game industry info. I have no idea what’s actually decent these days beyond “a bit shittier than everything else.”

Mobile pays significantly better than console if the offers I got this year are anything to go by. Just embarrassingly more money in mobile (and still underpaid relative to non-games).

Buggiest issue with AAA I've seen is lack of equity, or bonus structures that pay out as much as typical public corp equity packages. But when equity is 50%+ of your compensation, ...