Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1465783762814394372

Love the hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'm sure he'll be good, but I was more excited when I misread and thought he was playing Renfield. That'd be perfect.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Where is the rest of his head?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I hope he plays the part just like in Vampire's Kiss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pookah posted:

Where is the rest of his head?

Inside the hat.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

I hope he plays the part just like in Vampire's Kiss.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Knormal posted:

There's a company out there making keyboard phones again, they're expensive but worth it if you're a stubborn nerd who refuses to adapt like me.

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/cosmo-communicator

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer

Those are better for blind people, I bet. I cling stubbornly to my ancient iPod Classic because it has a wheel I can use without having to look at it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just get the new Nokia brickphone

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm sure he'll be good, but I was more excited when I misread and thought he was playing Renfield. That'd be perfect.

Tom Waits will always be Renfield in my heart

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Toaster Beef posted:

I've done this, and it absolutely works

I was a commissioning editor for an Australian television network (basically the guy green lighting stuff and giving the notes) and I'd be wary of saying this is good advice.

Generally the people in charge absolutely know when the notes are being ignored and will usually let it go it if it isn't worth the battle and the sunk investment isn't worth shutting everything down/demanding the creators go back to the edit. If it isn't a huge success though you're probably never going to get work with that network ever again because they can be petty as hell.

Basically if you're going to do that you better either be loving certain you're right or be Mel Brooks.

Great advice for Mel Brooks, probably absolute poison for any emerging artists out there reading it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

:perfect:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Neal! posted:

Great advice for Mel Brooks, probably absolute poison for any emerging artists out there reading it.

I think it was better advice for a new filmmaker 40-50 years ago than it is for today. But it would definitely have helped to be Mel Brooks even then, since he had such a solid reputation from his TV career.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Neal! posted:

If you get fired you can try to get the public on your side.

#ReleaseTheFlatulenceCut

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spotify wrapped dropped today and SCOTUS argues an abortion case, you know what that means (unreadable twitter)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/MrVilhauer/status/1413232912745500679

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will never read BIPOC as anything but "bisexual people of color"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

The Neal! posted:

I was a commissioning editor for an Australian television network (basically the guy green lighting stuff and giving the notes) and I'd be wary of saying this is good advice.

Generally the people in charge absolutely know when the notes are being ignored and will usually let it go it if it isn't worth the battle and the sunk investment isn't worth shutting everything down/demanding the creators go back to the edit. If it isn't a huge success though you're probably never going to get work with that network ever again because they can be petty as hell.

Basically if you're going to do that you better either be loving certain you're right or be Mel Brooks.

I am an editor and, depending on if the project is worth the gambit, have definitely agreed with my director/edit producer to pull a Mel Brooks from time to time.

Pardon the derail, but I am fascinated that a channel commissioner is on SA and want to ask you loads of questions. 1. How'd you get the job? Had you made a lot of TV before (I mean made, not execed)? 2. How did you find other commissioners? Were they weird? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?

From our perspective these people are like inscrutable, erratic aliens with one consistent feature: whatever the project was that they greenlit, they will be confused and disappointed when you deliver it as promised and demand it be completely different, probably by eliminating everything about it that made it worth making.

There are exceptions who perhaps understand better that their role is a supportive one and not really editorial outside of making sure a show doesn't cross lines like legally. But most here (UK) seem clueless, and if you look them up they generally failed upward through family connections. I know someone who recently worked on a BBC show commissioned by a guy who was literally featured in the wikipedia article on "nepotism".

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Dec 1, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

zoux posted:

I will never read BIPOC as anything but "bisexual people of color"

Same. Always takes me a moment to parse it correctly.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I am an editor and, depending on if the project is worth the gambit, have definitely agreed with my director/edit producer to pull a Mel Brooks from time to time.

Pardon the derail, but I am fascinated that a channel commissioner is on SA and want to ask you loads of questions. 1. How'd you get the job? Had you made a lot of TV before (I mean made, not execed)? 2. How did you find other commissioners? Were they weird? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?

From our perspective these people are like inscrutable, erratic aliens with one consistent feature: whatever the project was that they greenlit, they will be confused and disappointed when you deliver it as promised and demand it be completely different, probably by eliminating everything about it that made it worth making.

There are exceptions who perhaps understand better that their role is a supportive one and not really editorial outside of making sure a show doesn't cross lines like legally. But most here (UK) seem clueless, and if you look them up they generally failed upward through family connections. I know someone who recently worked on a BBC show commissioned by a guy who was literally featured in the wikipedia article on "nepotism".

Gogarty?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Shhhhh

edit: to be fair the issues with my acquaintance's experience on that job were majority not from the commissioner

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 1, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Shhhhh

edit: to be fair the issues with my acquaintance's experience on that job were majority not from the commissioner

lol. Don’t worry. I’m in TV too. I’ve not encountered him but I remember very well the hilarity around the original article he did in the guardian that his dad arranged for him

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Spotify wrapped dropped today and SCOTUS argues an abortion case, you know what that means (unreadable twitter)

So it will give me a list of punk and metal bands? The same list I have in my favorites? That’s real useful.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

goatsestretchgoals posted:

So it will give me a list of punk and metal bands? The same list I have in my favorites? That’s real useful.
you can show this one to your friends

they tooootally care

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/brandonlbradfor/status/1466094736121352194?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NIN a vay

https://twitter.com/SarahSurgey1/status/1444592424668520451

zoux has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Dec 1, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you can show this one to your friends

they tooootally care

I like seeing my friends’ Spotify wrapped :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All Steely Dan baby.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was a little confused when they told me I deserved a playlist as long as my skincare routine while playing Raining Blood. mostly because I've listened to that song maybe twice this year I think? definitely less than 5. Also that should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about my skincare routine

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A Moose posted:

I was a little confused when they told me I deserved a playlist as long as my skincare routine while playing Raining Blood. mostly because I've listened to that song maybe twice this year I think? definitely less than 5. Also that should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about my skincare routine

Same mine picked out songs I don't think I've ever heard.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I found out recently that I’ve been pronouncing “Bene Gesserit” wrong for something like 30 years (not that it comes up in conversation all that much).

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

What a deep cut from a very specific time. I amused/annoyed my friends by doing a reading of his article in the voice of a stereotypical rah.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Frank Frank posted:

I found out recently that I’ve been pronouncing “Bene Gesserit” wrong for something like 30 years (not that it comes up in conversation all that much).

These bean guesser people are somethin else!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Molto bene, these Benne Gesserit are a spicy meat a ball!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Molto bene, these Benne Gesserit are a spicy meat a ball!

I always pronounced it “been guess-erit”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Posting on the 9-9-9 page.

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1241040563442343937

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/emily_murnane/status/1465457254178734084

https://twitter.com/local__celeb/status/1465678043540824065

https://twitter.com/TheAndrewNadeau/status/1465740441266106372

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1465859845404467202

https://twitter.com/TimMarcin/status/1465789542519160833

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

As someone who made sketch comedy for several years and never quite cracked telly (with the exception of one show, but even then it was changed beyond all reason), commissioners will always be strange, unknowable creatures to me, so I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Frank Frank posted:

Frank Herbert sure as hell didn't pronounce קְפִיצַת הַדֶּרֶךְ properly!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Did I post on 999? Don't remember but I did now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hyperlynx posted:

Frank Herbert sure as hell didn't pronounce קְפִיצַת הַדֶּרֶךְ properly!

Muad'Dib is cut and that is what radicalizes the Fremen