Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

L to the O-GEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kendall is a dad. Being cringe in his use of slang is the most relatable thing he does.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

kendall's dog-tag chain necklace and turtleneck had me cringing immediately. He's a 40 year old dad billionaire. His party was a party for an rear end in a top hat.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Logan hates Cameron because as a teenager he wrecked Logan's car after a day of shenanigans. :v:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Vorgen posted:

I honestly didn't catch that and I'm proud of myself for not. Tumblr is poisoning the spoken word.

loving lol, what position do you hold at WayStar?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

packetmantis posted:

Logan hates Cameron because as a teenager he wrecked Logan's car after a day of shenanigans. :v:

Matthew Broderick confirmed as Conner's VP next season.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Was there some meaning to shiv's dance episode that I'm not getting?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Eh, I took it at face value. “She’s just getting the demons out,” or "I heard it looked like a cry for help.” She was just drunk and upset and wanted to dance it out.

Her and Tom coulda danced together, but that would require them to love each other. :colbert:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Withnail posted:

Was there some meaning to shiv's dance episode that I'm not getting?
We got to watch what happens at every level of drunk or high that each of the gang gets during the night. She got to the point where she wants to dance.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"Smoking hashish and learning how to work a lathe", ahaha.

My partner just walked in the room to ask what music I was listening to and why this playlist isn't "all bangers, all the time".

This episode was just fantastic. Sad, but great.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

DaveKap posted:

We got to watch what happens at every level of drunk or high that each of the gang gets during the night. She got to the point where she wants to dance.

Conner was the exception as he has a different relationship with Logan than the others.There still hasn't been a reason revealed why Conner isn't in the game like his other half-siblings.

I think he just didn't want it and enjoys loving around being Conner vs taking over for his dad.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

Conner was the exception as he has a different relationship with Logan than the others.There still hasn't been a reason revealed why Conner isn't in the game like his other half-siblings.

I think he just didn't want it and enjoys loving around being Conner vs taking over for his dad.

i think connor absolutely hates being dismissed, and desperately wants to be president so logan will be forced to actually acknowledge and engage him.

he wants to pretend he’s above it all, but he’s clearly not, just took him longer to find some kind of angle

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Connor gets to be an exception because he's not only the eldest, he's the eldest by quite a bit. As such, he was the most spoiled growing up and likely never saw himself as needing to put any effort forth. Once his siblings began putting in effort, he was too old of a dog to learn new tricks.

That said, I'd go so far as to suggest he's the control of the gang for this episode by being the only one not partaking in a vice. Thus there's an emphasis on his shallowness when he insists on having the joke article about him torn down and refuses to remove his coat, two things he may have conceded were he to drink. Lastly, he's useful to the episode by bringing Willa, so we can see that her ardent defense of Connor, something we don't see much of at all, is us seeing where she goes when she gets drunk: Very supportive of her partner.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 1, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

double negative posted:

i think connor absolutely hates being dismissed, and desperately wants to be president so logan will be forced to actually acknowledge and engage him.

The funniest/saddest part is that Logan is such a stubborn prick this still wouldn't work.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Add to your all bangers playlist

https://youtu.be/SNrbL4o3Wyk

https://open.spotify.com/track/5OnNFaUjue55aBaKIaT63K?si=K1SLMvhnTDqvBpng5-U7uQ

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 1, 2021

Triburon
Dec 28, 2020
Did everyone miss Tom responding to Greg in one of the past episodes with something like "Are you threatening me? I'm immune"?

I don't think he's wearing a wire, but I think he is cooperating with DOJ outside the company, which is why he keeps having calls.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Such a drat earworm.

Did I mis-hear, or did Tom say he took a hallucinogen and then cocaine? Did we see him take the former? If we did, I missed it. What was it?

Also, it's no doubt a coincidence, but I saw someone point out that "dancing really loving weird while everyone giggles about it" and "refusing to take a jacket off" are both Elaine bits from Seinfeld. Were there any more?

(I looked at my partner when Connor said he was keeping his jacket on and went "IT'S GORE-TEX!!!!")

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 1, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I suspect there was a cut Shiv/Tom scene to explain the moods. Tom is maybe feeling a windfall hangover, he was euphoric when the threat of prison lifted (well, we'll see) but all that means is a continuation of the status quo of daily humiliation and a seemingly loveless, unsupportive marriage. Which would suck for anyone but doubly so for a type A bully.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, my first question was "Wait, do you think Tom kinda WANTED to go to prison?" He probably wanted to seem like a hero to Shiv and/or Logan or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, my first question was "Wait, do you think Tom kinda WANTED to go to prison?" He probably wanted to seem like a hero to Shiv and/or Logan or something.

Going to prison was his thing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I mean, I know it STARTED as trying to make peace with it and try to be in the least-lovely prison, but I definitely felt some weird disappointment when he learned that he may be in the clear.

I can't stop thinking about "I read on the prison blogs..."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So Kendall has a semi-fresh buzz in the episode 8 preview.....

:tinfoil: he tried to kill himself

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Tom's just back to where he was at the end of season 2. Stuck in a marriage that makes him miserable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tom is incredibly bored of everything, just completely checked out. The only thing he'd felt in years was mild fear of losing his comforts but even then he was a little bit excited at the change and what it could mean for his status...

Then the temporary elation of freedom and the realization that it's the same as it was before - a beige melange of existence.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Tom is incredibly bored of everything, just completely checked out. The only thing he'd felt in years was mild fear of losing his comforts but even then he was a little bit excited at the change and what it could mean for his status...

Then the temporary elation of freedom and the realization that it's the same as it was before - a beige melange of existence.

:yeah: You put it more eloquently and clearly than I ever could.

HootTheOwl posted:

So Kendall has a semi-fresh buzz in the episode 8 preview.....

:tinfoil: he tried to kill himself

I noticed this and was wondering if he has some (further) breakdown, yeah.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it's small details like these that crack me up

https://twitter.com/feelingsstores/status/1465724845589684231

or like kendall's umbrella in season 1

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's in large part this.

I personally think it's also the amorality of his position. He's not a moral person by any stretch, he's amoral, BUT he wanted to come forward in the beginning. Then he directed the coverup. He could have mattered, made a difference and done the right thing (which probably appeals more to his pride than anything - being seen doing the right thing, being the hero, making that difference in a positive way- but it could also be that he has some ethics or some combination).

Now he's back exactly where he was, like you said, but with the prospect that Logan will reward him at some nebulous point in the future. Bully for him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That angle has come up in the dialogue a few times now, including Tom and Shiv especially. Shiv scores a win for Logan and gets reprimanded for bringing it up. Tom puts his neck on the chopping block to save everyone's asses and is quietly returned to the status quo. There is no upper strata of mentors and approving authority figures, just a surly old bear who only pays compliments to sway wavering loyalties.

They're all standing at the summit of a corporate mountain, afraid to comment on the hike at all. At least they still get to look down on the little people. The view is the reward.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

ex post facho posted:

"Wife of Tom Wambsgans arrested in sweep of city's street walkers"

:lol:
This had me in stitches, particularly since the headline was actually the first part and I thought that alone was the jab (i.e. "WIFE OF TOM WAMBSGANS arrested in sweep of city's street walkers"). Surely Comf came up with that. There's so many layers.

TCE
Feb 26, 2016

DropsySufferer posted:

Doubt being in the game was even an option when he was a kid Logan was probably only in his 40s when Connor was fully grown. The idea that he would one day to retire or die probably never entered into anybody's thinking

TCE fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 3, 2021

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

connor will be all in soon, he's a stupider michael corleone

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I don't have much more to add than what's been said, but I feel like Kendall's birthday party episode and "What It Takes" the previous week might be 2 of the best back-to-back episodes of a show I can recall in quite awhile. Only thing that comes to mind would be Breaking Bad several years ago.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tom is upset because he had the prospect of this terrible thing happening to him - prison - lifted from him and no one actually gave a poo poo. The lack of relief, especially from his own wife, was palpable.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This migth be a bit too soap opera but i would like to see å storyline about Kerry getting pregnant and Logan promising to set aside a piece of his estate to the kid. Upsets Marcia and the siblings, pisses him off to have to defend himself but also to reminded of his mortality. The fear of diluting their inheritance could also unite the siblings against Logan.
Or Shiv gets pregnant and Tom knows he cannot be the father, however he is too cowardly to confront her. So he plays at being the happy clueless cuck in front the family while silently raging inside.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Baudolino posted:

Or Shiv gets pregnant and Tom knows he cannot be the father, however he is too cowardly to confront her. So he plays at being the happy clueless cuck in front the family while silently raging inside.

I AM wondering if...what's his name returns, the guy Shiv was having an affair with (the one that also worked for Gil). We can never remember his name, we just call him "Spicy Boy" (due to that scene where's trying to tell Shiv that he's a "bad boy" or whatever that was). I wouldn't think so, that plotline seemed kinda resolved when Tom told him to GTFO from the wedding.

Holy poo poo, I forgot Shiv had long hair in the first season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A self-proclaimed "exciting bastard" IIRC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM wondering if...what's his name returns, the guy Shiv was having an affair with (the one that also worked for Gil).

Ashely Zuckerman's tied up in that terrible Robert Langdon adaption right now, so his return likely depends on that.

Hope he's getting paid well, he's a good actor and deserves a better show than NBC trying to be basic cable and just ending up basic.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I would put a Toxx on myself that Gil comes back into play, though. I still think she might join up with him to spite her father's pick of the fascist dude.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4ul5G0Xv8nGIVNDgOKhTYZ?si=1a42d091d1294667&nd=1

All bangers, all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/on-succession-jeremy-strong-doesnt-get-the-joke posted:

At the audition, Strong, his shoes tied tight, read a scene between Kendall and the C.E.O. of a startup that he’s trying to acquire. Armstrong was skeptical. He asked Strong to “loosen the language,” and the scene transformed. “It was about, like, Beastie Boys-ing it up,” Strong recalled. “I was missing the patois of bro-speak.” By the end of the day, he had the part.

quote:

Strong walked through the scene with Gold, without emoting. Then he disappeared. He often refuses to rehearse—“I want every scene to feel like I’m encountering a bear in the woods”—despite the wishes of his fellow-actors. “It’s hard for me to actually describe his process, because I don’t really see it,” Kieran Culkin said. “He puts himself in a bubble.” Before I interviewed his castmates, Strong warned me, “I don’t know how popular the way I work is amongst our troupe.” Since Kendall is the black sheep of a warring family, Strong’s self-alienation may be a way of creating tension onscreen. Though the cast is generally loose and collegial, Strong, during Season 2, began going to the makeup trailer only when no other actors were there—“which I remember making everyone else roll their eyes,” a cast member told me.
Oh so that's why Jeremy Strong is so good as Kendall, he's just completely insane.