Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Regular rear end W2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Regular rear end W2

Then no, you really don't have any other options. It's absolutely lovely, but yeah.....that's the state of things.

There are worse positions to be in than "I have so much money coming in that I need to open a taxable brokerage account for my extra retirement money" though........

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
plus using the 403(b) has tax advantages even if the plan terms are bad. unless you have truly usurious 100+bps expense ratios it probably still makes sense to contribute.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Motronic posted:

Then no, you really don't have any other options. It's absolutely lovely, but yeah.....that's the state of things.

There are worse positions to be in than "I have so much money coming in that I need to open a taxable brokerage account for my extra retirement money" though........

Oh for sure. Complaining about where to put all this money definitely qualifies as a good problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Having a taxable account is pretty sweet. You can use the money whenever you want.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

… but refuse to sell anything because then you will owe taxes on the gains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

im in this post and i do not like it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

Yeah. But if your plan is to retire early, there's no real way around taxable accounts... the confounding thing is trying to figure out the best possible exit strategy to get cash back in hand early.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gently caress!!!!!! no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. But if your plan is to retire early, there's no real way around taxable accounts... the confounding thing is trying to figure out the best possible exit strategy to get cash back in hand early.

You do have to think about that but also that LTCG rate is pretty cheap.

hbag posted:

gently caress!!!!!! no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:getout:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

spwrozek posted:

You do have to think about that but also that LTCG rate is pretty cheap.

:getout:

lol cool av & gangtags bossman
i wonder if this gentleman has money

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

I sold yesterday to TLH. Felt good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hbag posted:

lol cool av & gangtags bossman
i wonder if this gentleman has money

They were the rewards for the goals threads over the years.

My point was who cares, this is long term investing. If you can't stomach the ups and downs the next 30 years are going to be tough. Ideally you are looking at your long term investments once a year.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

spwrozek posted:

They were the rewards for the goals threads over the years.

My point was who cares, this is long term investing. If you can't stomach the ups and downs the next 30 years are going to be tough. Ideally you are looking at your long term investments once a year.

how dare i make a lighthearted joke post on somethingawful dot com
the forums are serious business

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ideally, sure. But I still check the Yahoo Finance app 4-5 times a day.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between the economy and an mmo?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I installed the Webull app a few weeks ago because it seemed to have pretty robust push notification alerts, even though I don't have a trading account with them. I set up alerts for when VTSAX and VTIAX drop by at least 1%. I didn't get any alerts yesterday, so I guess they don't actually work?...

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Would it update you during the day on a mutual fund, since those prices update after hours?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

runawayturtles posted:

I installed the Webull app a few weeks ago because it seemed to have pretty robust push notification alerts, even though I don't have a trading account with them. I set up alerts for when VTSAX and VTIAX drop by at least 1%. I didn't get any alerts yesterday, so I guess they don't actually work?...

Yeah, Vanguard typically updates prices at 6pm EST on mutual funds, so you probably wouldn't get alerts during regular trading hours. The ETF version (VTI) would update during the day.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Jesus In A Can posted:

Would it update you during the day on a mutual fund, since those prices update after hours?

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, Vanguard typically updates prices at 6pm EST on mutual funds, so you probably wouldn't get alerts during regular trading hours. The ETF version (VTI) would update during the day.

Ah, good call, I'll try using the ETFs and see if I get anything next time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
To continue on from my "company I work for got acquired" talk from earlier, we finally know who our plans will be with.

We are moving from John Hancock, to Voya. Which, from my cursory research...is probably worse. I see several reviews on some websites about taking a long time for plan changes, roll overs and transfers, as well as higher and often hidden fees.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Voya is edward jones level bullshit but for 401(k)s. Delayed deposits, mountains of bullshit forms to get anything back out......they are absolutely doing all of this on purpose to make money on the float.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
And that's not even the worst part. My friend works there and he hates it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i just found out my sister's simple ira is administered by edward jones. i haven't had a chance to go over the fee schedule and the plans on offer, but does anyone have an idea of what their typical expenses are like? i have to figure that most likely it's best to suck it up and make use of the tax advantaged space, but i've heard vague horror stories about edward jones folks swindling the elderly, and now i'm nervous that it's a bunch of load funds and administrative fees that end up negating the tax savings. it took a lot of lovely sibling harping on my part to get her to start seriously contributing for retirement, and now i'm envisioning a scenario where i have to wildly backtrack on that

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Motronic posted:

Voya is edward jones level bullshit but for 401(k)s. Delayed deposits, mountains of bullshit forms to get anything back out......they are absolutely doing all of this on purpose to make money on the float.

Well look at that. It's exactly the company I didn't want to invest with through my employer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Motronic posted:

Lovely.

Well I am in the process of looking for other jobs and don't plan to stick around, and that's just one more log on the fire as to why.

Problem is, no matter what my John Hancock money is going in there. We were told that short of us trying to do an actual cash out (which for most of us incurs the penalty) it's an automatic transfer to the Voya accounts and we aren't to do any manual rollovers ourselves.

So hopefully hoping I do get a new job, Voya doesn't then gently caress me over if I try to roll that over into the 401(k) for the new employer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they probably won't gently caress you over it'll just be more complicated than you would like

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they probably won't gently caress you over it'll just be more complicated than you would like

Yeah, it's this. And be drat sure to watch your mail/keep on top of them throughout the entire process, not only to keep them moving along but to make sure you don't end up with a rollover check sitting around past your window.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
5 weeks after requesting they close my HSA account/transfer funds, HealthEquity finally says they mailed the check to Fidelity.

:psyduck:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

5 weeks after requesting they close my HSA account/transfer funds, HealthEquity finally says they mailed the check to Fidelity.

:psyduck:

Every HSA provider I've had has been inept at some part of the process. They stood downwind from the American Healthcare system too long and caught the Dumb

I've got a weird problem. My grandma died in 1991 and my aunt, who was executor of her estate, apparently didn't do such an honest job of it. She's old and has lost her brains so there's no point in a lawsuit or anything, but we're trying to make sense of things now. The only thing that affects me is a big pile of shares of Procter and Gamble that she left for me (my sister got General Electric shares, ha ha eat it sis)

We have NO idea what the cost basis is since this stuff predates the internet and my aunt doesn't even know the word "paper" anymore. Is my best bet just to go with the value of PG on the date of her death in 1991? That's practically like saying the cost basis is $0, but I just want to make sure I avoid paying TOO much in taxes

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

we aren't to do any manual rollovers ourselves.

What? Really?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i just found out my sister's simple ira is administered by edward jones. i haven't had a chance to go over the fee schedule and the plans on offer, but does anyone have an idea of what their typical expenses are like? i have to figure that most likely it's best to suck it up and make use of the tax advantaged space, but i've heard vague horror stories about edward jones folks swindling the elderly, and now i'm nervous that it's a bunch of load funds and administrative fees that end up negating the tax savings. it took a lot of lovely sibling harping on my part to get her to start seriously contributing for retirement, and now i'm envisioning a scenario where i have to wildly backtrack on that

My wife’s work does Edward Jones, small company so probably the same thing.

They’ll over charge like crazy, but they will smile and be nice to you about it.

Hers is like, a flat 1% admin fee no matter what , and of course they’re offering their funds which are something stupid like 1-1.5%. I asked if we could just do VTI or VTSAX, and I’m this setup (mileage can vary) they’ll do vanguard ETFs but still charge the full 1% admin fee. Which is pretty lol and sad.

She gets a 3% match soon, so once that hits we will set it up for the minimum because it’s basically 2% free money still, but yeah Edward Jones loving sucks.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Wait, what? 1% off the top of individual portfolios each year for the privilege of investing in high ER EJ funds?

My employer is moving to Empower. Anyone have experience with them?

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 2, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Duckman2008 posted:

Hers is like, a flat 1% admin fee no matter what , and of course they’re offering their funds which are something stupid like 1-1.5%. I asked if we could just do VTI or VTSAX, and I’m this setup (mileage can vary) they’ll do vanguard ETFs but still charge the full 1% admin fee. Which is pretty lol and sad.

She gets a 3% match soon, so once that hits we will set it up for the minimum because it’s basically 2% free money still, but yeah Edward Jones loving sucks.

Nitpick: Unless your wife is getting a match of three cents on every dollar she contributes, she'll be getting 2.94% free money (2.85% in the worst case with the 1.5% expense ratio). So it's (slightly) better than you think!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cassius Belli posted:

Nitpick: Unless your wife is getting a match of three cents on every dollar she contributes, she'll be getting 2.94% free money (2.85% in the worst case with the 1.5% expense ratio). So it's (slightly) better than you think!

Ok, this is very fair and a good point.

Although I thought the 1% was a monthly thing ?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, this is very fair and a good point.

Although I thought the 1% was a monthly thing ?

Usually it's a "1% per year, billed monthly as 0.083% per month" sort of deal. If they're actually taking 1% out of the accounts every month (12.68%/year), someone needs to get sued.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Magicaljesus posted:

I've had decent experiences with Empower. The website is fine. The fees and funds will depend on your employer's deal with them, but I've seen no fees at all and flat quarterly fees at various times. They push their automated advisor but it's easy to not use it. I've seen Vanguard index funds available and not-great custom ones, so if you don't have good options, push your employer to add them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Magicaljesus posted:

Wait, what? 1% off the top of individual portfolios each year for the privilege of investing in high ER EJ funds?

They sponsor the football stadium next to my house so I am guessing they are doing OK at extracting some fees.

Jows
May 8, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Every HSA provider I've had has been inept at some part of the process. They stood downwind from the American Healthcare system too long and caught the Dumb

I've got a weird problem. My grandma died in 1991 and my aunt, who was executor of her estate, apparently didn't do such an honest job of it. She's old and has lost her brains so there's no point in a lawsuit or anything, but we're trying to make sense of things now. The only thing that affects me is a big pile of shares of Procter and Gamble that she left for me (my sister got General Electric shares, ha ha eat it sis)

We have NO idea what the cost basis is since this stuff predates the internet and my aunt doesn't even know the word "paper" anymore. Is my best bet just to go with the value of PG on the date of her death in 1991? That's practically like saying the cost basis is $0, but I just want to make sure I avoid paying TOO much in taxes

Wouldn't step up apply here? Suggesting that price @ date of death is the correct basis? IANAL. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Jows posted:

Wouldn't step up apply here? Suggesting that price @ date of death is the correct basis? IANAL. :shrug:

Could be the case that they were bought at a price higher than on date of death?