Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

barnold posted:

yeah those post-SP1 Win7 days were loving dire. unless you made special slipstreamed install media, you knew you were in it for the long haul as soon as you installed the drivers and clicked "Check for updates" for the first time

The drivers, oh Jesus the drivers! Starting up Device Manager with a bunch of yellow !!!!! everywhere!

I bought Driver Magician a decade ago and it was invaluable for both locating and backing up drivers. We are spoiled rotten now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The drivers, oh Jesus the drivers! Starting up Device Manager with a bunch of yellow !!!!! everywhere!

Still a thing with Windows 11.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The thought of doing OS installs on spinning metal just makes me grit my teeth in recollection. Or on machines with 2GB of RAM or less. Or single or dual-core processors.

On my main machine - 3600X with 32GB of RAM and nothing but SSDs, with the OS drives being NVME, operating installs can be faster than how long I remember Nvidia driver updates taking in the past.

Even on my old Phenom II x965 with 16GB of RAM and also nothing but SSDs (SATA in that case) installs have become trivial investments of time. Like I might have time to grab a snack, but I'm not burning an afternoon to do it.

The only downside is that installs have become so painless that I'm more likely to give up on troubleshooting and just reinstall rather than fix things, but that's also a nice feeling of security. Things go sideways? Just reinstall - it's not like it takes long.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok, so it wont let you install on just anything with a clean install from USB. Just tried on an old Acer from 2011 or something with god drat IDE interfaces in it. Stopped me right after the key input.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MikusR posted:

Not really actually, not at all.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

redeyes posted:

I installed fresh on my laptop. Still a thing.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

redeyes posted:

definitely still a thing, at least for my ASRock board. it'll install the Nvidia drivers automatically though, i'll take it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

barnold posted:

yeah those post-SP1 Win7 days were loving dire. unless you made special slipstreamed install media, you knew you were in it for the long haul as soon as you installed the drivers and clicked "Check for updates" for the first time

Towards the end of its life, Windows Vista had so many updates and such an inefficient method of checking for them that you pretty much couldn't update a GM release of Vista via Windows Update. At least once I had to install both service packs manually, as well as several update rollups just to get Windows Update to actually start installing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MikusR posted:

Yeah, I don't get why people are acting like spending hours getting updates is some lost and forgotten anachronism. It's literally the way Windows still works.

carry on then posted:

Towards the end of its life, Windows Vista had so many updates and such an inefficient method of checking for them that you pretty much couldn't update a GM release of Vista via Windows Update. At least once I had to install both service packs manually, as well as several update rollups just to get Windows Update to actually start installing.

Windows 10 is this way now. Not even starting from the GM.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 1, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

carry on then posted:

loving around in a VM a year or two ago and I couldn't ever actually get Vista up to date. Even using WSUS Offline Update (which literally took days to finish updating 7 in a VM) couldn't manage it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha yeah wasn't there a specific issue with WU that would cause it to take exponentially more time with each update? At least it didn't randomly install poo poo and restart the computer without your input, so there's that

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm pretty sure that each OS came with common drivers at the time of release. So installing xp or win7 when they were new didn't usually result in a ton of missing drivers. It was more after being out for a while and installing on a pc that had hardware that didn't exist at the time of the OS release that we started to see all those yellow exclamation marks.

That said, on my 11 install recently with a new motherboard I had a ton of unknown devices until I installed a bunch of intel drivers. This motherboard was released after win 11 so I guess it's already begun.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

e^ esp with custom builds you should expect to have to pull a few drivers from the board manufacturer at least.

What are you talking about, hours doing updates in 10 or 11? If you are booting off some shambling hard drive, maybe. As long as you are on a solid state, I've never seen updates take any amount of time worth mentioning. First pass after a clean install might take a lil while, but thats it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

My custom build from this past January somehow has hardware drivers and the dumb Armory Crate app living on the board permanently. After a new install it pops up and asks if you want to install everything.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Windows has hooks that allow the UEFI to inject software into "clean" installs, by design

I dunno how you disable that, it's usually only used on OEM systems

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think this setting has something to do with it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's an improvement, IIRC when they introduced that mechanism in Windows 8 it just ran whatever the UEFI provided without asking the user for permission

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

repiv posted:

Windows has hooks that allow the UEFI to inject software into "clean" installs, by design

I dunno how you disable that, it's usually only used on OEM systems

My ASUS lets you disable it in the BIOS/UEFI settings. Which is good because I don't need all your LED chrome and spinners on my network adapter drivers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

You probably didn't experience the end of Windows 7 with the exponential increase in update time (and updates breaking at some point). With Windows 10 you just install the latest full build on top of any previous one. And the the latest rollup.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MikusR posted:

You probably didn't experience the end of Windows 7 with the exponential increase in update time (and updates breaking at some point). With Windows 10 you just install the latest full build on top of any previous one. And the the latest rollup.

I will say that upgrading from a current (at the time) Win10 to 11 on my 970 rig went flawlessly. I have and patch regularly, but I did not do a clean install or any major fuckery to TPM settings or anything, but seriously just adding WinAllBack after an UiP has been fine. It took a while, but part of that was streaming video on the same connection and downloading some multi-gig games all simultaneously. I was in bed and my connection is orders-of-magnitude better than ever from years ago, but I’m mostly on a cellular modem/router combo so I tend to do everything at bedtime because I don’t care about token-ring-speed dl’ing speeds as long as I can still stream Battlestar Galactica or read forums on my 4G phone uninterrupted.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The dev build released today lets you put the clock on secondary monitors, along with being able to reduce the size of the recommended section.

Should be nice to have next September.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, I don't get why people are acting like spending hours getting updates is some lost and forgotten anachronism. It's literally the way Windows still works.

Anecdotally, having installed Windows 10 dozens of times across about 15 machines since its initial 2015 release until Windows 11 released, there's a night and day difference compared with the pre-Windows 10 experience.

If using the latest Media Creation Tool at any given time, the Windows installation will be at most 6 months out of date. Between those twice yearly updates they actually include some cumulative updates in the install media.

And these days a cumulative update actually seems to actually accumulate previous updates. Is everyone always using the latest install media available when doing clean installs?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SpicyPete posted:

The dev build released today lets you put the clock on secondary monitors, along with being able to reduce the size of the recommended section.

Have they added the unheard of revolutionary feature known as drag and drop to taskbar?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MikusR posted:

Have they added the unheard of revolutionary feature known as drag and drop to taskbar?

No! Silly you!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well.. I did what I said, tried Linux. After half a day of screwing around and then remembering, oh yeah, windows programs I enjoy using like Adobe Audition require hacking upon hacking. I gave up, Loaded Win 11 Enterprise, gpedit.msc'd the holy hell out of it. Good to go. I am enjoying Windows 11 a lot! I could nitpick the start menu for instance, but I just don't care that much about it. Windows 10's start menu was horrible and yet usable. Same here.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Win 11 is very stable and fixed a weird crash I was getting on 2 games.

If it's slower it's only maybe 2-4% just judging by some fps I glanced at, honestly the game should get 141 fps at all times, rocket league isn't very taxing, compared to some of these AAA games.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I did opt out again*, and generally the last point is well taken, however this is the mismatch I was seeing:

This confused me enough to try to find other people in the same state, which were legion, some of whom had this resolve using Insider settings flip. MS got me to win 11 but made no effort to explain this, it's just a curiosity to me.

I had this too. Eventually the error went away.

I found people online saying that the routine which generates that status in the Windows Update screen only runs something like~once a day. So if you recently enabled the TPM functionality in your CPU, the Windows Update status box will only say you are good to go for Windows 11 when said routine next runs later that day.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maybe not the thread for this problem but I'll ask anyway. I have a 900Mbps/110Mbps down/up internet connection. Yesterday I randomly did a speed check from my desktop PC that's got a wired connection and I'm only getting 90Mbps down and up.

I've reinstalled the LAN drivers and updated all my chipset drivers and it's made no difference. I did a speed test from my Xbox (also wired) and it's getting full speed so it's not my router or connection to the exchange..

It's awkward to test the wired connection in this room on another device, but it's doable. Any other software diagnostics I could try? Running latest version of Windows 11.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe not the thread for this problem but I'll ask anyway. I have a 900Mbps/110Mbps down/up internet connection. Yesterday I randomly did a speed check from my desktop PC that's got a wired connection and I'm only getting 90Mbps down and up.

I've reinstalled the LAN drivers and updated all my chipset drivers and it's made no difference. I did a speed test from my Xbox (also wired) and it's getting full speed so it's not my router or connection to the exchange..

It's awkward to test the wired connection in this room on another device, but it's doable. Any other software diagnostics I could try? Running latest version of Windows 11.

Swap the ethernet cables to check

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In Settings > Network > Ethernet, check the reported connection speed, whether the link speed is negotiated to 100 Mbit or 1000 Mbit.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Well this is typical. I tried the ethernet cable on my laptop - got better speeds but well below what it should be. Ran a speed test with my ISP's app, and it was faster again but still slower.

Tried again on the laptop and got full speed, then plugged in to my desktop and got full speed, which it's sticking to right now. God only knows but thanks for the quick responses. Goons really are the best.

Edit: Went out there for a few hours. The telecoms engineers had the manhole opened and I've noticed a few people getting fibre to the premises installed the past few weeks, so maybe there was some mucking about happening yesterday and today.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 3, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm honestly a native implementation of DirectX away from switching to Linux, which is probably a reason why that won't happen.

This, I'm sick of Windows. 7 was the last good release. I've experienced the same W10 bud across multiple machines and installs, I have a fresh install where a new user profile would have an unresponsive taskbar for 30 minutes or after some magic number it logouts/user switching.

Like gently caress I'm installing W11, at least this time they don't have a version of DirectX to lock behind it and trick me into upgrading.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

This, I'm sick of Windows. 7 was the last good release. I've experienced the same W10 bud across multiple machines and installs, I have a fresh install where a new user profile would have an unresponsive taskbar for 30 minutes or after some magic number it logouts/user switching.

Like gently caress I'm installing W11, at least this time they don't have a version of DirectX to lock behind it and trick me into upgrading.

Im pretty sure thats what happens as soon as the graphics drivers install. Start Menu dies. I usually either reboot or log off and back on which fixes it. This only ever happens right after the first boot after install.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

Im pretty sure thats what happens as soon as the graphics drivers install. Start Menu dies. I usually either reboot or log off and back on which fixes it. This only ever happens right after the first boot after install.

Happened every time you logged into that user account! Couldn't figure it out. Also the random plague of a black desktop with a flashing taskbar has been around for like 2 years for me, I just don't get it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup I just did a Windows 10 install on a new pc and had the unresponsive taskbar too. But it eventually went away.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Happened every time you logged into that user account! Couldn't figure it out. Also the random plague of a black desktop with a flashing taskbar has been around for like 2 years for me, I just don't get it.

Huh, that seems like a different thing. I've never seen that. I'd blame your hardware since I've loaded about 1000 windows 10 computers and this isn't ringing any bells.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

ijyt posted:

What hardware are you installing it on? Anything particularly old?

I've installed Windows 10 at least 11 times on 10 machines over the past 6+ years and never had that sort of issue.

All were Intel(6th, 7th, 8th, and 11th gen) on the desktops and 2 laptops that were 4th and 5th gen.

Almost all of the machines had NVidia graphics. 1 laptop and 1 desktop both just use integrated Intel graphics.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

5900X, X570-I from ASUS, 3080. All brand new hardware. Regardless I had it happen on my old 3770K and 1080 build too.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

ijyt posted:

5900X, X570-I from ASUS, 3080. All brand new hardware. Regardless I had it happen on my old 3770K and 1080 build too.

Do you have a Razer keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh yay, I dealt with the first person that couldn't wrap their head about the TPM requirement for Windows 11.