Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’m still having a laugh about the catwalk over open vats of acid and oh yeah it’s raining too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still think they put the "You rely on luck, I rely on skill :smug:" line from the Huntress into the show in an attempt to give me, me personally, an aneurysm.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just remembered the part where Salvor goes up to the dude and tells him how she respected the Huntress and wants to help bury her with honor.

You know, the lady that killed half her friends, murdered her father, tried to murder her mother, thought had murdered her boyfriend, tried to kill her numerous times, held children for hostage.

That lady.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaal posted:

Mule" (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Book spoilers: Pretty surprised they didn’t include the big reveal from Foundation’s Edge in this season, since they’ve mingled other elements from books beyond the original in the first season. It should be obvious to everyone who has watched the show by now that Salvor, Gaal, Hugo, Lewis, and Azura are the final five cylons, but I still think it will be a shock if you’ve only casually watched.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm surprised Hari didn't say "I predicted the Huntress losing her eye and that you'd defeat her by coming in from her blind side with a right hook" as everyone looks on in confusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m still having a laugh about the catwalk over open vats of acid and oh yeah it’s raining too

I think the raining part is from Alien when Harry Dean Stanton bites it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'm surprised Hari didn't say "I predicted the Huntress losing her eye and that you'd defeat her by coming in from her blind side with a right hook" as everyone looks on in confusion.

He just couldn't predict their names, because psychohistory doesn't deal with individuals.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mokotow posted:

He just couldn't predict their names, because psychohistory doesn't deal with individuals.

As we all know, psychohistory is superstitious nonsense for gullible rubes. However, straight-up magic definitely exists.

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Considering that Day smashed the original Cleon''s casket (what they said they were using to make copies), I assume they are going with the clone emperor's lineage being over.

Just as the Dynasty is about to fade into irrelevance, a mysterious spaceship arrives piloted by Brother Day.

He reveals a third Foundation hosting a Cleon farm just like Clone Wars. It was started by Demerzel with a secret (pure) DNA batch that she kept in her praying crystal just like Jurassic Park. Flower Girl escapes and joins up with Gaal and Hardin to take down The Man just like Charlie's Angels.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Parappa the Dapper posted:

Just as the Dynasty is about to fade into irrelevance, a mysterious spaceship arrives piloted by Brother Day.

He reveals a third Foundation hosting a Cleon farm just like Clone Wars. It was started by Demerzel with a secret (pure) DNA batch that she kept in her praying crystal just like Jurassic Park. Flower Girl escapes and joins up with Gaal and Hardin to take down The Man just like Charlie's Angels.

David Goyer posted:

"It's part of the the jazz that we're playing with Terrance Mann, Cassian Bilton and Lee Pace, because moving forward, even though they're the same actors, some of the the characters are going to be very, very different. And so one of the things that's exciting about this, this monkey wrench that's thrown into the Genetic Empire is what does that do when you introduce chaos into that system? What does that do? Because chaos is fun."

https://www.newsweek.com/foundation-david-s-goyer-interview-season-two-apple-tv-plus-1651942

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 30, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

guys please stop writing these new fan fics.

You might end up getting to write the S2 show.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

S2 is going to be absolutely insane and the big reveal will be that it’s all in Azura’s head, but Azura is actually Roseanne and she’s pounding oxys and saying racist poo poo about Thespians

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For a last ditch effort the Empire realize the Cleon clones are ineffective so the only solution is to have the empire ruled by Arnold clones.

Baby Arnold, Day Arnold and Dusk Arnold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

The corruption of the Cleon DNA would have spelled the end for the Empire genetic dynasty, but luckily the guy in charge of the cloning project was John Hammond.

Using DNA recovered from a tiny fossilized Cleon trapped in amber mixed with frog DNA, they were able to start the cloning program back up. And thus Empire Park was born... Where Trantor tourists could see cloned Cleons roaming free in their natural environment. (sparing no expense, of course)

Will life, uh, find a way? Find out in season 2 of Foundation!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This show would be vastly improved in season 2 if it had a free-roaming Jeff Goldblum just mocking absolutely everything :hmmyes:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

I think the raining part is from Alien when Harry Dean Stanton bites it.

Yeah I was expecting random hanging chains and strobe lights but got the osha violations trope instead

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

etalian posted:

For a last ditch effort the Empire realize the Cleon clones are ineffective so the only solution is to have the empire ruled by Arnold clones.

Baby Arnold, Day Arnold and Dusk Arnold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

Three generations later, all hell breaks loose when Brother Dawn grows up to look like Danny Devito.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Three generations later, all hell breaks loose when Brother Dawn grows up to look like Danny Devito.

Empire fall apart since the Devito Clones spend the whole year shopping for magnum condoms

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Hail Emperor Dr Mantis Toboggan

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Supreme Bio-Vizer Mantrid is coming to Terminus and you won’t believe who he’s bringing!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

etalian posted:

Empire fall apart since the Devito Clones spend the whole year shopping for magnum monster condoms

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Centrist Committee posted:

They where lucky that the acid kept perfectly still inn the open bath and didnt float around in zero-g for 700 years...

Caros
May 14, 2008

'You two peoples have a historical grudge against one another that I will ask you to set aside. It was, after all, caused by the empire, something for which I will provide no actual evidence. Now everyone go and live in harmony.'

Okay, yeah, sure... But the Anachreons did just finish brutally massacring peaceful colonists. Like we do remember that happened right? How they just started indiscriminately murdering civilians in the streets.

That seems like the sort of thing that might inspire a long term grudge.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Caros posted:

Well yeah but the hologram DID tell them to be friends...

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Caros posted:

'You two peoples have a historical grudge against one another that I will ask you to set aside. It was, after all, caused by the empire, something for which I will provide no actual evidence. Now everyone go and live in harmony.'

Okay, yeah, sure... But the Anachreons did just finish brutally massacring peaceful colonists. Like we do remember that happened right? How they just started indiscriminately murdering civilians in the streets.

You are guilty of psychohistory thoughtcrime

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

He reveals a third Foundation

oops all Foundations

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

datajugend posted:

They where lucky that the acid kept perfectly still inn the open bath and didnt float around in zero-g for 700 years...

You’d think it’d have boiled away in the vacuum the ship’s interior was for 700 years.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is there a single piece negative critique of this show outside of this thread? or is all paid for "ITS THE NEW STAR WAR FOR ZOOMERS" articles

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Google Butt posted:

is there a single piece negative critique of this show outside of this thread? or is all paid for "ITS THE NEW STAR WAR FOR ZOOMERS" articles

Personally I was a fan of the Gizmodo take, "They Said Foundation Couldn't Be Filmed, and It Still Hasn't Been".

https://gizmodo.com/they-said-foundation-couldnt-be-filmed-and-it-still-ha-1847731204

Another good one was the New Yorker's more in-depth perspective, "When “Foundation” Gets the Blockbuster Treatment, Isaac Asimov’s Vision Gets Lost".

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/08/when-foundation-gets-the-blockbuster-treatment-isaac-asimovs-vision-gets-lost-sci-fi

In a similar vein, the Atlantic asks, "The Decline and Fall of the Galactic Empire - Who cares if a brutal autocracy is destroyed? Why would anyone want to make another one?"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/11/foundation-tv-series-books-empire/620750/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 1, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

etalian posted:

good i need a job. okay spinoff idea: a prequel where we dive into the birth of the empire. we'll follow the first cleon as he rises through the galactic senate and begins to influence the inner circle of warrior priests who safeguard the republic. meanwhile, in secret, his cloning projects are beginning to get out of hand...

we'll call it "the cleon wars"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
army of cleons marching in a row

one of them stumbles and forgets how to limp

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I was skipping through the final few episodes due to not really being that enthused can someone explain why the rebels{?} had a clone of brother dawn? was it a rogue brother dawn who previously escaped or a clone they cloned through getting cleons DNA somehow?

I thought there was some compelling tv in this series (mostly lee pace) and great visuals but just a lot of c or b tier staging that was further hampered by the bad writing. An example is when Hugo missed the jump and presumably floated off to his death, it was shot in such a stupid way with no energy \ dynamism that it didn't really register that it was a "main" side character "dying" at all. Compared to similar scenes in movies like Gravity it was just awful. Similarly all the action scenes just lacked any kinetic tension at all.

Gorgeous looking space scenes followed by some of what can only be described as "workman" like blocking and shooting.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cleon, after absorbing both Foundations into himself:

"in Pace requiescat"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I want to see one cleon with three heads

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kaal posted:

Personally I was a fan of the Gizmodo take, "They Said Foundation Couldn't Be Filmed, and It Still Hasn't Been".

https://gizmodo.com/they-said-foundation-couldnt-be-filmed-and-it-still-ha-1847731204

Another good one was the New Yorker's more in-depth perspective, "When “Foundation” Gets the Blockbuster Treatment, Isaac Asimov’s Vision Gets Lost".

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/08/when-foundation-gets-the-blockbuster-treatment-isaac-asimovs-vision-gets-lost-sci-fi

In a similar vein, the Atlantic asks, "The Decline and Fall of the Galactic Empire - Who cares if a brutal autocracy is destroyed? Why would anyone want to make another one?"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/11/foundation-tv-series-books-empire/620750/

The Atlantic one is good. The book Empire is different from the show Empire and you struggle to understand why Foundation wants a second Empire so badly. They’ve already taken liberties with the show, they should have spelled out that instead of a second Empire it would be a republic or some such. As it stands it’s like Harry is some weird Empire royalist who loves the status quo of wholesale world destruction and general tyrant behavior

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Google Butt posted:

I honestly can't remember hearing about the show outside this thread. I saw no advertising for it.

Jerkface posted:

I was skipping through the final few episodes due to not really being that enthused can someone explain why the rebels{?} had a clone of brother dawn? was it a rogue brother dawn who previously escaped or a clone they cloned through getting cleons DNA somehow?

So the rebels somehow infiltrated the Cleoncloning™ facility and stole some Cleon DNA. And cloned a Cleon from that. And then raised that clone for like 20 years. They also somehow tampered with all the rest of the DNA while they were there. And the most secured facility on the most secured planet never caught any of this. Forget killing flower girl and all her friends and family, if I was Empire I'd be culling the security staff...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway I'm sure I mentioned this in here before but I always thought the "Clone Wars" they talked about in Star Wars were basically exactly the Cleon concept. Back in the 90s prior to the prequels coming out, I remember coming across some Star Wars comics where the plot was literally that the Emperor had instituted a cloning program whereby he would live forever, and the backlash against that was the catalyst for the "clone wars". A war over cloning, not a war fought by clones. It made a lot of sense!

Then the prequels were like "nah it's a bunch of identical foot soldiers for our intergalactic space epic lmao"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
apple give me the show

I will retcon 80% of the first season by having all of it be a hallucination Gaal had when she first activated the timecube. Hari says something like "You can't get lost in the math or you start to see improbable and poorly written insanity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

I want to see one cleon with three heads