Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This one is kind of obvious, but try and guess before you mouse over the spoiler all the same.

AITA For leaving my shift over socks?

quote:

So I work at a chain restaurant for the past 3 years. Think Australian and steaks. The managers are all egotistical & like to treat the servers/hosts like children. One manager went on a weird hunt for a little bit making sure everyone was wearing black socks. (Our uniforms are bell bottom pants so you can’t see out socks). He would make us pull up the bottom of our pants when we clocked in for a “sock check”. I own mostly only black socks so I just happened to be following this rule most of the time.

But then I came in wearing red socks and he got mad when he “sock checked” me. He gave me the option that he gave every other worker: I can go to the store across the street and buy socks or I can go home. (Apparently every other worker has gone and bought socks when they were told).

I said I’ll go home.

He was clearly shocked and said that I will be written up for this.

I said that’s fine (because why would I ever care)

It was a Friday night and I was a closer.

BTW: I never got asked to show my socks again but they did get mad saying I left my coworkers short stuffed on a busy night. (My coworkers all said it was hysterical).

AITA for leaving my shift and leaving my coworkers stranded?

TL;DR: my manager told me I can go buy black socks or go home, so I went home and left my shift.

Edit: I’ve been there for 2 years before they ever started asking. It wasn’t something they told me about on my first day

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DoubleNegative posted:

This one is kind of obvious, but try and guess before you mouse over the spoiler all the same.

this manager has a fetish doesn't he

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DoubleNegative posted:

Missed one, last sentence second paragraph. I'd guessed socks already but didn't realise it was specifically black socks

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Splicer posted:

Missed one, last sentence second paragraph. I'd guessed socks already but didn't realise it was specifically black socks

I knew that was going to happen, lmao. Good catch!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, you're the rear end in a top hat, it's normal for a business to lose its poo poo at a client for expectations of service

George Orwell posted:

I found—one might expect it, perhaps—that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum landlord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two—never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DoubleNegative posted:

Haha, gently caress that. I left jobs if I'd been there multiple years cleaning up messes and they decided to get petty with me. The smaller the thing, the more likely I'd just loving walk, because it's clear that no amount of good graces was ever getting me past the "idiot we hired off the street" category in some diseased restaurant manager's mind.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Seth Pecksniff posted:

don't be ridiculous and also there's nothing in the handbook stopping me from performing followup smell checks either

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DoubleNegative posted:

Are bell bottoms really part of the Outback Steakhouse uniform?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kenshin posted:

This guy has been more than fair to the point of getting taken advantage of, of course the ex wife is mad at losing out on $2k/month, but at the same time lol too bad

Nah. He's a dick. He's more than willing to upset the lives of his children because he doesn't want to pay child support anymore because he thinks split possession is more "fair." When people say that, they mean fair to the parents, not the kids.

50/50 possession is hard on kids. It's two home bases, two sets of rules and a different routine every couple of days.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, I did say British.

Where, exactly, do you think Scotland is? Like there's a reason 'Britain' and 'England' are not just the same word.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Nah. He's a dick. He's more than willing to upset the lives of his children because he doesn't want to pay child support anymore because he thinks split possession is more "fair." When people say that, they mean fair to the parents, not the kids.

50/50 possession is hard on kids. It's two home bases, two sets of rules and a different routine every couple of days.

OP's not going from absolutely 0 custody, so the 2 rules and differing routines is already at play:
"currently I get them every other weekend and 2-3 evenings a week"
Sure, maybe only one home base, but I think the kids should have a solid exposure to what kind of family life is waiting for them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

Where, exactly, do you think Scotland is? Like there's a reason 'Britain' and 'England' are not just the same word.

Trap sprung I suspect.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

feedmegin posted:

whoa whoa whoa take it easy my dude. i know its almost 10 degrees but its no reason to snap.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Terminate the lease early probably means cough up several months of rent to do it.

He says in the story the landlord gave the option to terminate early. I assumed that meant like, with a clean slate. But maybe the landlord was just pointing out "you can get another place [but still have to pay on this one for the rest of the lease lmao]." I dunno. In any event I wouldn't want to stay with a dickhead landlord for any longer than I had to. Yes, all landlords are bad, but all of mine so far in life have been either pleasant enough to talk to or at least faceless corporations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blastedhellscape posted:

From a few pages back, and I get the impression this whole post is exaggerated for dramatic effect, but the idea of even waiting two weeks to change bedsheets kind of grosses me out. Personally I've got to wash my sheets and sleep on new ones at least twice a week, and if I were rich and could just buy unlimited, high threadcount cotton sheets I'd be changing those things every day.

I guess it's one of those weird hygienic things that different people have radically different tolerances for. I've always had issues with insomnia and have a princess-and-the-pea relationship with laying down and trying to sleep, whereas there are other things that I'm way less persnickety about, but hearing stories about people's gross unwashed sheets always gets me.

When I finally moved into a place where I had my own washer and dryer, I started switching my sheets out daily. It feels like I'm sleeping in a hotel bed every night, absolutely glorious and worth the extra bit of effort. (Also, you don't really need an unlimited supply. I have 6 sets of sheets and so each sheet still only goes in the washing machine about once a week, and they hold up to that pace of washing fairly well.)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

LanceHunter posted:

When I finally moved into a place where I had my own washer and dryer, I started switching my sheets out daily. It feels like I'm sleeping in a hotel bed every night, absolutely glorious and worth the extra bit of effort. (Also, you don't really need an unlimited supply. I have 6 sets of sheets and so each sheet still only goes in the washing machine about once a week, and they hold up to that pace of washing fairly well.)

I was gonna poo poo talk you about having so many sets of sheets and doing so much laundry because lol, who has that time, but actually I'm bitterly jealous as that sounds awesome

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah. Like it would be great if everyone was super woke and see positive but unfortunately we're humans and he's having a very normal reaction to what is a lovely situation. The experiences are one thing, but "maybe I should have married him" is at best a crappy, mean joke (assuming that's not their standard style of humor)

This isn't being sex positive, from my view it's just the opposite - sex positivity pushes mutual consent, and here it seems like she's getting a thrill out of humiliating her partner while he wants no part of this. Because she's not just remembering, she's editorializing in a way to get a reaction ('maybe I should have married him', etc).

Even discounting that potential aspect, sex positivity endorses healthy boundaries, which means respecting if this is something that would bother someone, regardless of how innocent it may or may not be.

Nah, this is just your standard sex jerk.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Britain is in France idiots

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

loving PEASANTS WANT A HOUSE FIRST AND NOW THEY WANT ELECTRICITY??????? Ridiculous

scariest part about this is op actually thinking landlords are people to be respected and reasoned with. he's too nice to understood he doesn't need to give an ounce of a poo poo about the landlord's other problems--his house is hosed and it's their responsibility to come down and unfuck it. that's what he's being extorted monthly for, after all

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Kuiperdolin posted:

The world's most tedious person :

I feel insulted by my new job

And the rare good answer by Allison:

"Rare good answer by Allison"? This is from Ask a Manager, right? I was under the impression that Allison consistently gives solid and fair advice. At least, that's what I've seen when I read AAM.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she's mostly fine but boring. The advice is generally useless, because nearly all of it is along the lines of "yes it is unreasonable for your boss to demand this thing, but they can fire you at will anyway and you have no recourse" or "this is what I think is the normal unspoken rule for job applications, but the entire comments section will be indignant HR people declaring they'll burn your resume on sight for not doing the opposite"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah unfortunately a lot of replies wind up being "this is lovely but legal in America." Like the one this week where a company is making everyone use a week of PTO for when the office is closed and they can't work if they wanted to.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she's mostly fine but boring. The advice is generally useless, because nearly all of it is along the lines of "yes it is unreasonable for your boss to demand this thing, but they can fire you at will anyway and you have no recourse" or "this is what I think is the normal unspoken rule for job applications, but the entire comments section will be indignant HR people declaring they'll burn your resume on sight for not doing the opposite"

Ok, fair enough. I generally only read the super outrageous ones, like where the woman bit her coworker. So I don't get a sampling of her "regular' advice.

LookListen
Jul 6, 2011
Man this thread is really giving me a violent pavlovian response to the word 'disrespect' and its variants

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's because to a lot of these people "respect" and "apologizing" aren't matters of right or wrong but a submission ritual.

AITA for inviting my brother's ex fling to thanksgiving dinner and offending his gf?

quote:

AITA for inviting my brother's ex fling to thanksgiving dinner and offending his gf?

I hosted thanksgiving this year for the first time in my house.

Some back story here. My brother used to be friends with that girl named Anya, they didn't dare but they hooked up a couple of times. I love anya and I always hoped she and my brother would end up dating, I met her through him and I ended up having a good relationship with her, we're not that close but occasionally we text and talk on the phone and sometimes go out for some coffee once in a while. We had an inside joke about how she'd be my future sister in law because I'll make sure to set her up with my brother.

My brother is now dating his girlfriend Sarah for around 3 years. He went nc with Anya two years ago because according to him Anya had disrespected his gf multiple times and was acting possessive of him. Once he told me that Anya told Sarah how "I'm the future wife of your boyfriend". My brother apparently was offended with Anyas behavior and cut her off. I don't know if any of this is true and I don't care that much.

I've kept in contact with Anya and she occasionally tells me how sad she is things turned out that way with my brother and I said that if I had the chance I'd set them up but I'm not sure it's easy to do that now. She says how she always wanted to be part of our family and she feels like she lost her spot to Sarah. I assured her that I still consider her family even if she's not dating my brother and I'll always love her more no matter what.

So lately Anya and I got closer and I invited her on my thanksgiving dinner that my husband and I hosted to our house. When my brother found out Anya is invited he went off on me and said I'm so disrespectful for inviting the girl who tried to break him and Sarah up and how this is disrespectful to him, Sarah and their relationship. He also claimed that I never gave a chance to Sarah and tried to get close to her because I'm so stuck on the idea of him dating Anya which is creepy. I told him it's my house and I can invite whoever I want to there and don't need his permission, Anya and I get along perfectly fine and I don't care what she did to them, she'll always be the one that got away for my brother in my eyes. My brother said that he and his gf won't attend my thanksgiving dinner. And they didn't. Anya still attended. My mom has sided with me and said that my brother and Sarah are acting like brats and they're toxic and insecure but my husband and my father have told me I acted like TA and I should understand where Sarah and my brother come from.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i don't understand the issue of bringing in clearly an obsessive using me to bang my brother who's in a long term, committed relationship, something i apparently also support and fan the flames of actively

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This isn't being sex positive, from my view it's just the opposite - sex positivity pushes mutual consent, and here it seems like she's getting a thrill out of humiliating her partner while he wants no part of this. Because she's not just remembering, she's editorializing in a way to get a reaction ('maybe I should have married him', etc).

Even discounting that potential aspect, sex positivity endorses healthy boundaries, which means respecting if this is something that would bother someone, regardless of how innocent it may or may not be.

Nah, this is just your standard sex jerk.

I agree, the wife is just straight up an rear end in a top hat. He should divorce her and find someone that doesn't get off on treating him like poo poo. Not surprised that someone that wants to move back to their hometown also acts like a teenager.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"this is what I think is the normal unspoken rule for job applications, but the entire comments section will be indignant HR people declaring they'll burn your resume on sight for not doing the opposite"

That’s all job-seeking advice tbh. Recruiting is Calvinball where everyone pretends it’s settled science.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

kimbo305 posted:

My wife probably isn't doing anything sexual with her rabbit. Which yes, is a male.
Rabbits can have a soothing effect, which she definitely isn't getting from her seething psycho husband.

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for making an "insensitive" comment at work to a rabbit?
Literally every rabbit owner does this, ditto chicken owners

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Soylent Pudding posted:

Lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That’s all job-seeking advice tbh. Recruiting is Calvinball where everyone pretends it’s settled science.

oh yeah it's not a problem with the AAM lady, it's a problem with American labor law where power is the only rule and exercising it whimsically to abuse your subordinates is the norm. There's little good general advice to give people towards the bottom of the food chain there, beyond to unionize or goldbrick

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

cumpantry posted:

i don't understand the issue of bringing in clearly an obsessive using me to bang my brother who's in a long term, committed relationship, something i apparently also support and fan the flames of actively

lol this exactly.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

loving PEASANTS WANT A HOUSE FIRST AND NOW THEY WANT ELECTRICITY??????? Ridiculous

Okay so landlords suck, but also:

quote:

So where we live, there has been a lot of recent storms and flooding, causing highway closures with an unknown timeline for reopening. 

I am 90% sure that this is southern British Columbia, which is currently experiencing some absolutely unprecedented (climate change. Its definitely climate change) rainfall, mudslides, flooding. The town of Merritt was evacuated, is still mostly evacuated (I have a friend who's been out of their home for weeks, and had to leave one of their cats behind and is EXTREMELY WORRIED), a major highway route is basically destroyed and will likely take months, if not years, to repair, and a huge agricultural area that supplies a lot of food to the province is mostly underwater right now. It is a very serious natural disaster that is still in progress and will continue to be for the forseeable future. I'm further north than the danger but so much freight comes through Vancouver that in my neck of the woods supply chains are badly strained, and the full ramifications have yet to be seen.

Yes, this redditor should have power in their office. Yes, that should be fixed. But also, maybe pestering someone to fix a minor problem during a natural disaster is loving tone deaf.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

Yes, this redditor should have power in their office. Yes, that should be fixed. But also, maybe pestering someone to fix a minor problem during a natural disaster is loving tone deaf.

It’s not pestering, it’s their “job,” and the tenet is just asking permission to get it fixed themselves.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MagusofStars posted:

Just in case anybody doesn't click through to the original tweet, the best part is the pinned response which got multiple 'awards':

How dare you people think that "moderating subreddits" is not equivalent to a job that actually brings in money! Clearly OP needs to shut up and pay for everything since this man is doing hero's work.

From forever ago, but as someone who mods a sub of similar size to AITA, it's absolutely not a loving job, we do do it for free, and it's absolutely not one of the most useful jobs to society and jfc get hosed kid.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Just.

"hey, I know your area just got hit by a hurricane and everything's hosed up but can you arrange for someone to come look at this outlet that doesn't work?"

"hey, how's the forest fire evacuation going? Anyway can you come look at my leaky faucet?"

I am genuinely always in the "gently caress landlords" camp but holy poo poo read the room.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Nah probably did a few years in the military and wants to play NCO since he probably never got a turn.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

Just.

"hey, I know your area just got hit by a hurricane and everything's hosed up but can you arrange for someone to come look at this outlet that doesn't work?"

"hey, how's the forest fire evacuation going? Anyway can you come look at my leaky faucet?"

I am genuinely always in the "gently caress landlords" camp but holy poo poo read the room.

“Can’t do my job” and “please let me fix the problem myself” are not the same as the way you characterized it.

I don’t know why you’re assuming for no apparent this is in the hardest hit area too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
some restaurant managers are extraordinarily petty tyrants, which is a weird way to manage in an industry where you can literally walk away from a job and be employed somewhere else the next day

working in restaurants and saying "gently caress this, i'm out" and just leaving is a liberating feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neito posted:

From forever ago, but as someone who mods a sub of similar size to AITA, it's absolutely not a loving job, we do do it for free, and it's absolutely not one of the most useful jobs to society and jfc get hosed kid.

Can you try to get that other mod banned?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

“Can’t do my job” and “please let me fix the problem myself” are not the same as the way you characterized it.

I don’t know why you’re assuming for no apparent this is in the hardest hit area too.

Even ff the landlord did have many properties spread out, some in really hosed areas, that should still be a risk they acknowledge when committing to a certain level of service for their customers serfs.