Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Eason the Fifth posted:

How did they tear down/demolish buildings in the 1800s before controlled explosives and heavy machinery?

You may be interested in Fred Dibnah, who demonstrated traditional demolition techniques in the UK.

https://youtu.be/0L1WOnR2KBY

As for say, medieval masonry, one method was to prop the structure on temporary wooden supports, undermine the foundation, then pull the supports away with teams of animals or burn them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would guess 'nondescript' as in 'being deliberately designed to have no design features that would draw the viewer's eye away from where the cinematography is trying to direct it'.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Do I need to backup my HDD as an ISO to boot from it, or will a 'regular' backup of C:/ (with Ashampoo backup) be bootable?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The boot information is normally in a separate "volume" on the disk, not inside your C:/ drive. If you just copy all the files from C:/ it will not be bootable.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The boot information is normally in a separate "volume" on the disk, not inside your C:/ drive. If you just copy all the files from C:/ it will not be bootable.

I'm backing up that little extra volume too, will that do it?

And I want to create a partition on the destination drive for the backup, but window's disc management has all the appropriate options grayed out. "New simple volume" is simply not there, which is the one I want. "New (other kinds) volume" is there but gray. "Convert to dynamic disc" is clickable. Any help there?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You want to "clone" the disk instead of copying the files manually. This will copy all of the volumes and the hard disk's raw binary data 1-to-1, instead of copying the filesystem-level stuff that that data represents. You shouldn't need to be manually creating and deleting volumes on your backup drive to match the OS drive. I'm pretty sure the Master Boot Record / MBR doesn't show up in Windows' built-in partition manager anyways.

It looks like Windows doesn't have a good way to do this built-in, but there are free tools online like Macrium Reflect.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the replies to that demolition question.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a list of copyright companies that just put ads on your video rather then making you take it down? I want to do fanimations, but I don't want to get DRM'd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a list of copyright companies that just put ads on your video rather then making you take it down? I want to do fanimations, but I don't want to get DRM'd.

YMCA'd.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is the plural of "doctor's appointment" (when you're going to visit 2+ different medical clinics) "doctors' appointments" or "doctor's appointments"?

My gut tells me it's the former, but my brain is telling me that implies I'm seeing more than one doctor at each appointment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"doctor's appointments" is correct, but I would just say "medical appointments" instead.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is there a thread for giving folks help navigating Medicaid in the US? A cursory SA search showed nothing but posts in D&D/CSPAM and those forums get a big "nooooope" out of me.

Long story short: I got a letter from the state (Virginia) saying I'm eligible for some open enrollment thing, and I just want to someone to explain what this means, pretending as if I'm six years old.

Fake edit: also LOL that I just noticed the letter is dated October 20th, so I'm not hoping for a quick/comprehensible response if I actually contact the gov't. Sad but true, I trust random goons for quick answers over trying to contact the people running our shitshow of healthcare.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is alkyl nitrite aka poppers generally used exclusively as a drug for sex, or is it also commonly used for its euphoric effect without having sex?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah people use it in clubs etc for non-sex related euphoric effects

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a techical economics term for increased quality of consumer goods? Even if my purchasing power is less than a 50's man I would get guillotined by my windshield like I would with a 50's car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a techical economics term for increased quality of consumer goods? Even if my purchasing power is less than a 50's man I would get guillotined by my windshield like I would with a 50's car.

Hedonic quality adjustment

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Is there a thread for giving folks help navigating Medicaid in the US? A cursory SA search showed nothing but posts in D&D/CSPAM and those forums get a big "nooooope" out of me.

Long story short: I got a letter from the state (Virginia) saying I'm eligible for some open enrollment thing, and I just want to someone to explain what this means, pretending as if I'm six years old.

Fake edit: also LOL that I just noticed the letter is dated October 20th, so I'm not hoping for a quick/comprehensible response if I actually contact the gov't. Sad but true, I trust random goons for quick answers over trying to contact the people running our shitshow of healthcare.

I'd like to start one but also it might fall under legal questions.

It's probably about you picking your HMO. Source- I did years of policy work in this area in another state. I am not a lawyer or social worker, just some idiot on the internet, so this may not apply to you or your state.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth it to make more money so my income goes over the medicaid limit, so I need to know about health insurance you can get from the Obama health markets and stuff. Does anyone know anything about this, or know of a thread where I could get info?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth it to make more money so my income goes over the medicaid limit, so I need to know about health insurance you can get from the Obama health markets and stuff. Does anyone know anything about this, or know of a thread where I could get info?

How much more? You'll be wanting to compare that amount to your premiums, deductible, and maximum out of pocket totalled.

The valley just over the gross income limits for food stamps, medicaid, and title xx is a brutal place.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

How much more? You'll be wanting to compare that amount to your premiums, deductible, and maximum out of pocket totalled.

The valley just over the gross income limits for food stamps, medicaid, and title xx is a brutal place.

Like 600 or 700 dollars over. The way I understand it you can still get some kind of reduced rates or financial assistance for health market plans if you're low income, which I still would be. So I need to figure out what my hypothetical insurance info would be.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

All of this sounds like the answer is "go to healthcare.gov, fill out the web forms, and see what insurance options show up and what their costs are." Right now is the open enrollment period, which lasts until January 15, after which you can't enroll in a new plan unless you meet qualify life events.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
In the last week or so, my home internet has been loading YouTube videos very slowly. In the past it's loaded up in one to two seconds but now it's taking anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to even start playing. It happens on my computer and phone when I'm connected to the home WiFi. I have no other internet issues or slow downs, nothing out of the ordinary with a speed test.

I know it's not my devices because when I disconnect from Wifi and use the phone data, it loads normally. What could be causing this?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Your ISP could be engaging in "traffic shaping", where they slow down certain kinds of connections or connections to certain websites to reduce the network's congestion. In other words they slow down everyone's connection to youtube/netflix/whatever to save themselves money. (Or so that they can charge Google/Netflix/whatever to get un-slowed.)
You can test this out by connecting through a VPN (which encrypts your traffic so the ISP doesn't see what it is) and seeing if youtube is still slow.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Who would I talk to about health care options and pricing? I wanted to do some family planning, but my wife is on a different plan than me. Is there an online resource that will allow me to compare and pick up health insurance just for children?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Busy Bee posted:

In the last week or so, my home internet has been loading YouTube videos very slowly. In the past it's loaded up in one to two seconds but now it's taking anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to even start playing. It happens on my computer and phone when I'm connected to the home WiFi. I have no other internet issues or slow downs, nothing out of the ordinary with a speed test.

I know it's not my devices because when I disconnect from Wifi and use the phone data, it loads normally. What could be causing this?

Before blaming anyone / anything powercycle your modem. Much like the idiot mouthing off at the pub - modems need to have their lights punched out every once in a while to get them acting OK for a bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Orchestra question: What's the instrument that shows up around 12 seconds into this clip? It looks like a giant drum with a sheet of paper on it, and the guy playing it rotates it with a handle on the side.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's a wind machine, mate.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Here's a good random one.

I have a friend that can't stand the *bleep* noise on television shows, that dub it over curse words.

It's 1000 Hz. Is there any sort of tech that can remove that bleep? I've done some googling, and I don't really think it's possible, but hey, the hive-mind we got here has some smart people.

It's the same with the buzzers on game shows. I don't know of a solution, but hell, stupid/small question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbPh0pmNjo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbLo0YO1QQ&t=49s

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

blight rhino posted:

I have a friend that can't stand the *bleep* noise on television shows, that dub it over curse words.
There's a product that does something kind of resembling that, the 'tv guardian'. It basically reads the closed captions and mutes the TV when a naughty word is detected. I think it's mostly aimed at the ultra religious and places that play tv in public places, etc.

It might be possible to configure it to look specifically for "bleep" or whatever shows up in the CC, and then get it to mute based on that. Kind of a long shot, might be worth a look.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If they watch things on a computer maybe there is software (e.g. advanced volume limiters exist) that could just block out a fixed frequency, but if we're talking a TV then I think maybe you'd have to like custom build special noise cancelling headphones or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

So it is. Thank you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

This is a hole on the clasp of a storage unit. Is there some sort of lock that it fits? It's just a hole that the slider piece runs through when the latch is opened.

e: I know there's already a spot for a "regular" lock

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 2, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

blight rhino posted:

It's 1000 Hz. Is there any sort of tech that can remove that bleep? I've done some googling, and I don't really think it's possible, but hey, the hive-mind we got here has some smart people.

If you can route the TV's audio through a signal processor of some kind, all you'd need to do (in principle) is use a notch filter to mute that specific frequency. But yeah, I don't know of any convenient way to do that.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is a hole on the clasp of a storage unit. Is there some sort of lock that it fits? It's just a hole that the slider piece runs through when the latch is opened.

I might help if you post a picture showing more of the clasp mechanism, it's hard to tell what we're looking at (besides the nifty calipers). Also, there looks like an upside-down brand logo engraved there that might be useful to investigate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can buy them, but my understanding is that they are no more secure than a padlock. It’s a thing that some self storage operators require you to do, use their lock because it’s semi‐proprietary and they’ll keep a key.

https://www.publicstorage.com/blog/public-storage/public-storage-locks-are-top-notch

https://www.applewoodstorage.com/what-you-need-to-know-before-renting-a-storage-unit/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In that case, would something like this work (for the regular latch)?

ABUS 20/80 Diskus Stainless Steel Padlock Keyed Different https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S5Y7FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B1424E823E1VBGA9HH45?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is my understanding that that is a good lock, certainly harder to defeat than the structure it holds in place.

If it fits on the clasp, go for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The reason there are two lock spaces on rental storage unit doors is so the owners can lock your unit if you haven’t paid.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's for one of these, and they likely sell them at the front desk or from a vending machine.

I've measured mine, and it's a perfect fit for what your caliper shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Randomly, is anyone excited or even highly interested in the new Matrix movie?