Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Trickyblackjack posted:

I really liked MHW, but it was the first game that I played with these time-limited quests and log-in bonuses and I couldn't wrap my head around why they existed in this game I payed for. I imagine it will be even worse in the next one.

Nope, Rise basically has zero of that. They've released "Event Quests" but they stick around forever once they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Trickyblackjack posted:

I really liked MHW, but it was the first game that I played with these time-limited quests and log-in bonuses and I couldn't wrap my head around why they existed in this game I payed for. I imagine it will be even worse in the next one.

To be fair to monster hunter, it was really difficult to muck up the timed quests i did unless you were strolling around carefree

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sebmojo posted:

finally getting round to finishing cod infinite warfare and it's just comical how much it's star citizen but actually good and fun. there's a nice bit of well written character work in amongst the oorah mil sci fi dialogue, it looks gorgeous, plays great.

I’ve been saying this for years it’s great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that went well, i think :)

(glad i took your advice and turned on whichever gift bag rezzes on rest lol)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I really loved MHW, kind of a bummer that they are removing content. Is it because of licensing issues?

Presumably.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For hunting horn to no longer be the least-used weapon, something had to take its place at the bottom of the usage stats

If that had to be lance, so be it

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I tried many things in MH games, but while some entertained me reasonably well (hammer and dual swords), I just love my sword and shield too much to bother with anything else. It's simple, it's quick, it spams elemental procs, it has some block, it has some stun/break potential, quicker item use in some versions of the game... It's just a cool comfort zone I'll never manage to graduate out of I think. Plus the crafting system doesn't quite encourage diversification due to the same rare parts being used by multiple weapons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

dr.acula posted:

To bring GOG back up again, I really wish the Dune rts was on there but im sure its caught up in licensing hell

Doesn’t that game have a really good Sega Genesis port?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

For hunting horn to no longer be the least-used weapon, something had to take its place at the bottom of the usage stats

If that had to be lance, so be it

I'm happy for HH players but the dumpstered weapon should have been LS instead. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm still mad about insect glaive

why isn't it just glaive :mad: i don't want the damned bugs mechanically or aesthetically

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

god, this game is so good. I wish I could screenshot the entire trial so far and show it to y'all, I missed the classic Phoenix Wright sense of humor.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

punk rebel ecks posted:

You might be thinking about Dune II, the RTS one. Dune was released on Sega CD, but I have literally never heard someone talk about that version.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

To be fair to monster hunter, it was really difficult to muck up the timed quests i did unless you were strolling around carefree

i think he was complaining about the "for one week only, fight ezio auditore from assassin's creed for his assassin's creed" timed quests, not the time limit on quests. instead, to be fair, i think after iceborne came out they just made them all permanently available as a "gently caress it who cares" move

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i think he was complaining about the "for one week only, fight ezio auditore from assassin's creed for his assassin's creed" timed quests, not the time limit on quests. instead, to be fair, i think after iceborne came out they just made them all permanently available as a "gently caress it who cares" move

What do you get from the quests that are disappearing? Anything unique and good?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just said, you get the creed, from assassin's creed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those timed exclusives all kinda sucked so you're not missing much imo :shrug:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBu2zxe-Yw

Some modders, man.

Sininu posted:

What do you get from the quests that are disappearing? Anything unique and good?

A costume aka layered armor that replaces your character model with Bayek's from Assassin's Creed Origins.
A mantle that makes you run 20% faster, gives you a guaranteed critical hit if you attack unaware monsters, and makes all enemies aggressive on sight. In practical terms, only the run speed was useful and almost exclusively for running around collecting materials.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only time i hear yogscast is when they do their holiday donation bundle and they're doing it again. donation link isn't live yet but this time £35 gets you:

Hyper Light Drifter
Murder by Numbers
Wildermyth
Heaven's Vault
Pathway
Surviving Mars
20XX
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
Anodyne 2
Sizeable
Disc Room
Clustertruck
PictoQuest
Frog Detective
Regions of Ruin
Figment
Valfaris
Radical Rabbit Stew
Shift Happens
Fling to the Finish
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Tales of the Neon Sea
Ultimate Chicken Horse
PC Building Simulator
Samurai Gunn
Just Die Already
Kind Words
OCO
12 is Better Than 6
The World Next Door
Barony
Golf It
Urban Trials Tricky
Wheels of Aurelia
Kao the Kangaroo Round 2
Hearthlands
Pankapu
Boreal Blade
Jumpala
Murderous Pursuits
xThrust

honestly, compared to past jingle jams, this list is pretty solid. even some of the afterthought stuff is interesting, and there are a couple of games from this year (Wildermyth, Sizeable, Fling to the Finish) in this mix this time

one uhhh kinda odd thing that is maybe a dealbreaker is that a Call of Duty Endowment Fund pack is also in the bundle. if you're a COD fan cool I guess. if, however, you're maybe not a fan of ActiBlizzard right now because of, you know, all the stuff that's come out about them... it's icky. it's a fund co-founded by Bobby Kotick himself and a clear attempt at manufacturing goodwill that also will get players into the COD ecosystem to pay more money (as you get in-game items).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Maybe I'm in the minority, but games that have hubs that you need to run around every time to do whatever - buy food/eq/mission board - make me nope out of the game immediately. Does anyone really enjoy having to run around a hub to access the various stores and such? MH:W and Outriders both had this, and I immediately lost interest in continuing, as I could see myself doing the same thing ~hundreds of times depending on the length of the game. I get there are some short cuts here and there, but having to run around a redundant hub just seems pointless to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but games that have hubs that you need to run around every time to do whatever - buy food/eq/mission board - make me nope out of the game immediately. Does anyone really enjoy having to run around a hub to access the various stores and such? MH:W and Outriders both had this, and I immediately lost interest in continuing, as I could see myself doing the same thing ~hundreds of times depending on the length of the game. I get there are some short cuts here and there, but having to run around a redundant hub just seems pointless to me.
playing outriders now and I literally just sprint past the hub in each region, it's even sillier because no matter where you go, there's always a little hub at the start of the area with all the usual options. bailey even starts selling you weapons so you have a vendor too. makes the towns pointless

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

It's done for the sake of pacing.
It's the same reason why an action game doesn't instantly just put you in a new room full of baddies as soon as you've cleared out the previous room full of baddies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hubs are ftw. any game with the deus ex thing where you gently caress around in a neutral/base level between missions is ftw. except wolfenstein the new colossus which sucked

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

the only time i hear yogscast is when they do their holiday donation bundle and they're doing it again. donation link isn't live yet but this time £35 gets you:

[List of good games]

honestly, compared to past jingle jams, this list is pretty solid. even some of the afterthought stuff is interesting, and there are a couple of games from this year (Wildermyth, Sizeable, Fling to the Finish) in this mix this time

one uhhh kinda odd thing that is maybe a dealbreaker is that a Call of Duty Endowment Fund pack is also in the bundle. if you're a COD fan cool I guess. if, however, you're maybe not a fan of ActiBlizzard right now because of, you know, all the stuff that's come out about them... it's icky. it's a fund co-founded by Bobby Kotick himself and a clear attempt at manufacturing goodwill that also will get players into the COD ecosystem to pay more money (as you get in-game items).

For the games I don't already have I am only interested in Wildermyth, but that seems like a solid bundle all around. Great charities listed as well. You can do good, get games, and even write it off on your taxes. Everyone wins!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kragger99 posted:

i'm with you it sucks

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

It's the same reason why an action game doesn't instantly just put you in a new room full of baddies as soon as you've cleared out the previous room full of baddies.

That makes sense, thanks. I mostly play games for the action/escapism. I'm fine with a small hub, but when I have to go vertical, or there's large spaces between the various stores/interactions, it just feels like a waste of my time.
I'm generally a very impatient person, so that's deffo factoring in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you go to the "gathering hub" in either the vanilla game or iceborne it alleviates it a bit by at least consolidating most stations in a single room (iceborne even better than vanilla) but there's still a few excluded things that crop up every few missions that you have to leave and hunt down and it never stops feeling like pointless busywork every single time

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Vanilla Monster Hunter World had a crappy hub. Thankfully they fixed that in Iceborne/Rise.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

That makes sense, thanks. I mostly play games for the action/escapism. I'm fine with a small hub, but when I have to go vertical, or there's large spaces between the various stores/interactions, it just feels like a waste of my time.
I'm generally a very impatient person, so that's deffo factoring in.

I did not enjoy the hub in Monster Hunter World at all.

I thought it was handled really well in Monster Hunter Rise. You could explore the larger town for quests/events and such from time to time, or hang out in the dense single room with everything in it (upgrades, food, missions, etc.) before launching an online mission. I was in that room 90%+ of the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like how they do it in Vermintide 2 where you CAN go around and talk to the people in the hub if you want or you can also just open the menu and access the same thing from anywhere in the hub.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to plug Rage 2 on a 70% discount. Yeah the open world does it no favours, but the combat is surprisingly arcadey and fun once you get some powers.

Yeah this game was pretty fun. I need to finish it at some point.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sakuna is a good game. My only gripe is that it's a third too long. It gets a bit repetitive. But it is definitely unique.

More than that, I think. I ended up quitting after I realized how many times I'd have to go to the same area to fight the same creatures and grow the same rice before I could open up a new one.

I hate grind. Coincidentally why I ended up hard passing on Monster Hunter

sebmojo posted:

finally getting round to finishing cod infinite warfare and it's just comical how much it's star citizen but actually good and fun. there's a nice bit of well written character work in amongst the oorah mil sci fi dialogue, it looks gorgeous, plays great.

I wish this game from 2016 was a little cheaper than 20 bucks.

Still might pick it up I guess, call of duty in space is a pretty attractive prospect for me. I got a non-legit version a few years back but the audio was totally broken, hopefully that isn't the case with the real thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Most hubs are fine because they’re usually small with everything clustered around but the absolute worst hubs I ever had to go through were the ones in Guild Wars 2.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Got a bug to play Spellforce 1 again, and turns out not only is it still being updated, but it also got official mod support.. today??

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was aware of the Sega-cd game which was completely a different game, not sure about Genesis.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Jack Trades posted:

The good action games do exactly that. The genre keeps recovering more and more in that direction and it's better for it.

The only real reason to do it in a single player game is for immersion, and for most grind games it's just dogshit that makes the game worse.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Infinite Warfare was the best COD campaign post Black Ops 2.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A hub is only as good as its music. Case in point: Tristram

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

A hub is only as good as its music. Case in point: Tristram

:yeah: most hubs i can think of besides that are ambience-oriented background and it kinda sucks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Disposable Scud posted:

Infinite Warfare was the best COD campaign post Black Ops 2.

i still dont get why advanced warfare got the hype and IW didn't. i guess because it had Kevin Spacey, boy that aged well

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hubs give places meaning. An architect or city designer would probably have a term for it. In Resident Evil 4, you will immediately remember every area on a replay, then immediately forget when you're in the next room. This is the minigolf approach to area design. It's fantastic. But it doesn't mean anything. In Dark Souls III, which rivals it in (less-wacky) level design, the stages have meaning because elevation dictates you can get a view, and these discreter meanings are tied into a whole meaningful world by the Firelink shrine.

You could compare these games to character-driven sitcoms and the Wire, where the people who made that show said that the main character is the city of Baltimore. But the Wire fails among non-Baltimorean audiences where Dark Souls succeeds, because of the static shots of amputated city-parts. The photography direction just whiffs; the thematically intentional isolative effect only works for people who already know the city.

By the way, it's really good and important for games to have doors that are locked on the other side, for reasons I'm sure you already know. If the Wire had used this technique and others from Dark Souls it would have been a boon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

god, this game is so good. I wish I could screenshot the entire trial so far and show it to y'all, I missed the classic Phoenix Wright sense of humor.

It’s shocking how good it is.

I was initially under the impression that the games were just “direct to video” style spin-offs.

But they are actually better than the traditional numbered series. The cast and setting makes Phoenix and his crew seem so uninspired by comparison.