Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

This is literally the exact person iRacing is for. You're intended to choose one or two classes to run, in which the cars are always the same and the track changes once a week. You're supposed to grind the gently caress out of them. The entry-level classes are all free tracks/cars, too. They also just added a time attack mode with the release of the Mount Washington hillclimb. It's really good.

This part of the post, yes. The part about wanting to chill and chip away at something when they feel like it is the opposite of the person iRacing is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I do think they should make all the unranked week 13 stuff free, but there is actually a decent amount of free content and formula vee is fun as hell.

Vando posted:

This part of the post, yes. The part about wanting to chill and chip away at something when they feel like it is the opposite of the person iRacing is for.

Eh, I play it a few times a month whenever I get the itch and there's never more than ~30 minutes before a class I run in is up, but I'm probably an outlier.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a recommended brake mod kit for the G29? I see different types of kits, either new stoppers, new springs, or both, so I'm not sure which one(s) to get. I feel like a weekend project.

Edit:
I bit the bullet, removed that rubber stopper and threw in some stiffer springs and even though it's a lot harder to depress the throttle and brake, it feels a lot smoother. The fact that I have to use some effort to floor the throttle is keeping me from slamming it and spinning on corner exits, and I think I'm locking up less since I don't have to slam the brakes anymore to get it to 100%. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to replace the springs, and I'm glad I did.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 25, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This can't be a coincidence

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NASCAR 21: Insurrection

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Still overcharging for it too.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Just a heads up, Automobilista 2 patch 1.3 is out and as far as I can tell fixes the unpredictability and instability of the cars into and out of corners and updates to the FFB make it maybe my favorite sim on the market now. It’s also on sale and has quite a bit of content for the price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they did really good to fix the ‘sticky diff’ issue. Also confirmed the next DLC pack is going to be CART and IRL stuff, so we might actually have CART Factor/CART Extreme as official content at last.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yeah they did really good to fix the ‘sticky diff’ issue. Also confirmed the next DLC pack is going to be CART and IRL stuff, so we might actually have CART Factor/CART Extreme as official content at last.

Is there a list of what the planned DLC is anywhere? I'm contemplating getting the season pass, but I'd like to know what I should expect out of it.

edit: answered my own question

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 29, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think that's about right, the second part of the USA pack is apparently 1995 Indycar, 1998 CART (so it is official CART Extreme) and 2000 CART alongside Watkins Glen, Cleveland and an as yet unnamed track but if it isn't Indianapolis someone's loving up and loving up hard. You can't have an American open wheel pack and not have Indy in it. Also a bunch of Nissans are getting added as free content so that's going to be even more meat on the historic classes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm really looking forward to the street supercars pack. Part of living the fantasy for me is cars that can actually be theoretically purchased in real life.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here's something I've been working on for Assetto Corsa. Almost ready for release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbg5UBPAzLg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Here's something I've been working on for Assetto Corsa. Almost ready for release.

That can't be AC, you didn't crash and fall through the world

:eyepop:

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

GutBomb posted:

This is extraordinarily cool, where is it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zosologist posted:

This is extraordinarily cool, where is it?

It's Camino Viejo De Montserrat from Forza Motorsports 4. It was a pain in the rear end to convert and I'm never doing another Forza track.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's Camino Viejo De Montserrat from Forza Motorsports 4. It was a pain in the rear end to convert and I'm never doing another Forza track.

That explains why it looks so familiar but clearly fantastical. Can’t wait to crash it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not a Maple Valley update voted 0.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

njsykora posted:

Not a Maple Valley update voted 0.

Over the past couple years people have done Maple Valley, Bernese Alps, Rio, and Prague from FM7 and someone else did Fujimi Kaido from FM4. They're out there and they're all really good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I thought it looked familiar. I haven't played Forza 4 in so long!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I thought AC was basically unusable with VR!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

AC is fine, it's ACC that's horrible in VR.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

ACC, the gt3 sim, is extremely taxing in VR. Original AC runs buttery smooth, even with all the mods to overhaul shaders.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god I had been avoiding it completely. Is there a list of needed software anywhere to make VR in AC optimal?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I recommend Content Manager https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html. You can configure everything from here and install mods with it.

Sol is a shader overhaul that looks great.
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sol.24914/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh ya I use those already for 2d. I guess I was wondering if anything special is needed for VR.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I don't remember needing anything special for VR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nope, original AC is so stupidly optimised that I could run a solid framerate with everything cranked up on my old 1060.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So…uh…I guess Fanatec wasn‘t kidding when they said the M4 GT3 rim is „the real deal“? I just watched some onboards from a shakedown/test lap and….the oled screen looks like the Fanatec stuff. Might of course be marketing, but I fully expected to have both rims share the same shell, buttons, and maybe even a bit of hardware, but it actually looks like the rim they advertised is the thing in the actual race car. I assume this is going to be the most expensive mass-produced simracing rim then?

VIdeo is further down on this page (no idea how to directly link it):

https://www.motorsport-total.com/dtm/news/bmw-m4-gt3-an-teams-ausgeliefert-wir-durften-das-neue-dtm-auto-testen-21120101

I assume it makes sense to outsource such stuff to a company who has a second use for it and might then be able to produce it in higher numbers, thus bringing the price a bit down.

E: skip to 6 minutes for what I‘m talking about

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah the whole point of the rim is that you can use it in a real GT car, then remove it, plug it in to your fanatec setup and drive the sim.

(and to sell it to nerds who will never do that... but they COULD)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

But I don‘t have a real GT car….drat…

:lol: your edit hit me ;)

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

tuo posted:

So…uh…I guess Fanatec wasn‘t kidding when they said the M4 GT3 rim is „the real deal“? I just watched some onboards from a shakedown/test lap and….the oled screen looks like the Fanatec stuff. Might of course be marketing, but I fully expected to have both rims share the same shell, buttons, and maybe even a bit of hardware, but it actually looks like the rim they advertised is the thing in the actual race car. I assume this is going to be the most expensive mass-produced simracing rim then?

Not even by a long shot the most expensive rim.
https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24253/the-podium-bmw-m4-gt3-wheel-is-almost-here-here-s-the-information-you-ve-been-waiting-for
1400€

There are other rims on the market with 2k€ upward

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Schorsch posted:

There are other rims on the market with 2k€ upward

Yeah, I know, that‘s what I meant by „mass produced“. I assume the bespoke wheels that can get into the 5k range are mostly build-to-order. 1400 EUR isn‘t too bad for an actually racing rim for an actual race car of that class. It‘s gonna be interesting if such a cooperation works and there are enough simracers ready to spend that much on a rim to produce it in high numbers.

I‘d have to check but IIRC the BMW M6 GT3 was sold like…300 times or something? There was an article this year about a team trying to track down an M6 GT3 to drive in DTM (because they weren‘t made anymore) and the number of cars delivered definitely was somewhere in the hundreds. Even assuming endurance racing, where maybe each driver has his own rim (in regard to button mappings…no idea if that is handled in the rim or the computer), that‘s maybe a thousand rims produced.

I assume a similar amount of M4 GT3s will hit the racetrack, but a lot more of the rims will be sold to simracers. Cool experiment, imo.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

tuo posted:

But I don‘t have a real GT car….drat…

Dammit who let the poors in again?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wait, my first car was a beatup VW Golf2 GT which the thread title comes from.....but I no longer have it :negative:

e: my E31 is considered a GT car....it just lacks the 3

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 2, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The M4 GT3 is the car I drive the most in iRacing and I have a fanatec wheel stand, but on the other hand that's like 2-3 track weekends worth of money.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The wheel is probably one of the cheapest parts on a car anyway, it's a glorified button box that will provide inputs for some ECU or other in the dash doing the real work.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think the real idea is that it saves A Lot of money for the GT3 side, which helps team's budgets for having spares (a drop in the ocean compared to a full GT3 budget but every little bit helps), and it has the ~clout~ now of being a real race wheel.

Also some pretty great memorabilia options, could get teams buying a bunch of them and selling them as Race Used

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's really cool for immersion in VR to be able to see and feel the same thing which is always an issue but it's not worth that kind of money to me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For those wondering about AMS2 DLC, the USA packs will be free to try over the weekend including the new stuff.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/1466841679659515911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Anyone get an early version of that cheaper DD wheel from Fanatec? Curious how it holds up.