Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

What what what? Azul is a Québecois product? :psyduck:

This needs to be made MUCH clearer because somehow I had no idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

I... don't think it is. This is some very strange licensing agreement from the look of things. It'd be nice if this spread to the RoC though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ah, that's too bad.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My daughter told my fiance, "I hope daddy doesn't get me too many board games this year" which means I'm doing something right I think?

This year I've gotten her:
Dragonrealm (she loved Dragonwood)
Pandemic (she loves Horrified, this is the next step up and I think we're past "too soon" and into "oh it's dark humor because this is just life now")
Splendor (finally found it for under $40)
Sprawlopolis

Gave her Dragonrealm last night, and though it's more interactive and more of a game than Dragonwood, there isn't a lot of strategy to it. Fun to roll dice and try to get the number though.

My fiance got us Mystic Market, which I've never heard of before. It's Jaipur with a nice looking potion rack ramp thing with colored potions that roll to change places when you make a sale. So if you sell the most desirable potion for the biggest amount, $15, that potion goes up at the top of the ramp at the $5 place and everything else slides down. You can spend your coins to buy cards from the market, or just swap them one-for-one like in Jaipur. Or pay $2 a piece to draw from the top of the deck. There's also a potion deck of one-time-use powers where you can discard two cards of the required color to gain them, then get a small amount of money in addition to their effect when you use them. They're usually small things like taking a card from the market, drawing a card from the deck, or stealing a random card from an opponent's hand. So if you know someone just bought the last card they need for a set and are ready to sell it next turn, you can try to nab it from their hand. There are one or two of the potion cards that seem kind of broken, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I play it more. It won't replace Jaipur, but it's a fun spin on it.

I opened Sprawlopolis and it looks slick. The rules are a little confusing, but that's what happens when they're printed on a tiny folded sheet of paper the size of an index card.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FulsomFrank posted:

I... don't think it is. This is some very strange licensing agreement from the look of things. It'd be nice if this spread to the RoC though.

As a Québécois, gently caress loto-québec forever.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Plan B Games is a Quebecois publisher

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

new kah expansion just came in

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Loving the small changes to Eclipse 2e, it fixes a lot of my issues with 1e, but my fellow players have a major (and very reasonable) complaint that too much of the game is decided by the luck of what tiles you pull, and that species balance is all over the goddamn place (the Descendants are the gods of turtling, the Mechanema are just straight-up better at what the Hegemony is trying to do, the Hydran run away with the game if they can get Orbitals early and crash and burn if not, the Eridani are basically just hard mode, etc). I've thought of a way to solve the first issue (Give everyone the Descendants' ability to look at two tiles and pick one), but not the second, aside from just only ever playing all humans.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Infinitum posted:

I've never played the base game.

All you nerds said "Buy Norwegians"

So I did.

And it's amazing.

:siren: AFFO + Norwegians = Best Combo :siren:

Same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PRADA SLUT posted:

new kah expansion just came in

That’s gotta be a giant monitor with a symbol being displayed but given the giant boxes of KS nowadays idk what’s real anymore :negative:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah that has no depth

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah that has no depth

Just like the gameplay!
(I haven't played it. I'm not even sure what kah is)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just like the gameplay!
(I haven't played it. I'm not even sure what kah is)

Kards Against Humanity

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I think they meant KDM as in Kingdom Death monster?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I need to know whether they binged Gloomhaven or not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
MDK was a great Dreamcast game. This has nothing to do with board games other than the KDM acronym reminding me of that game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

gschmidl posted:

I need to know whether they binged Gloomhaven or not.

Getting there, going to start poopsocking tomorrow, I think I can do about 5-6 maps a day. I'm at the point where I can just bee-line it to the finish but I want another unlock beforehand.

homullus posted:

Kards Against Humanity

this poo poo sucks no wonder people hate this game

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold just arrived.

... My entire group has covid except me, so we can't play.

:suicide:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Board game designers are getting too good at choosing cute themes that directly appeal to me even when I desperately need to not buy so many games. I just watched the latest SUSD reviews of Calico, Cascadia and Verdant and it feels like a dare not to buy one of these for my cat-loving, hike-planning, house plant-obsessed partner.

I need everyone to just stick with really bland euro stuff to tamp down on temptation.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jewmanji posted:

Board game designers are getting too good at choosing cute themes that directly appeal to me even when I desperately need to not buy so many games. I just watched the latest SUSD reviews of Calico, Cascadia and Verdant and it feels like a dare not to buy one of these for my cat-loving, hike-planning, house plant-obsessed partner.

I need everyone to just stick with really bland euro stuff to tamp down on temptation.

You should investigate Die Macher and really get your group's blood pumping at the thought of running elections in Germany! Wow! Exciting! Watch their eye's pop when they see the gorgeous production and art design!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Eraflure posted:

Where are you located that you received it already, if I can ask? I'm waiting on that one in the US.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm from Belgium. This is all the info I have for you :

dude from BGG posted:

On the Discord server, Sydney said that Europe was on a different boat than the US, so US (and presumably North America more broadly) likely won't start arriving until mid January. No info on the rest of the world.

Pretty amazed we aren't the ones getting shafted for once. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Eraflure posted:

So what you're saying is, all you need to do is get Covid and then you can all play together without worry. Problem solved!

(With a lot more coughing)

(Please don't get Covid, hope your friends are okay)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

This isn't a criticism of the game as a game, but Calico's cat content mismatch between box cover art and game made it fall kinda flat for us.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Morpheus posted:

So what you're saying is, all you need to do is get Covid and then you can all play together without worry. Problem solved!

(With a lot more coughing)

(Please don't get Covid, hope your friends are okay)
Oh, I was talking about my family. I sold them on the whole board gaming thing during our first lockdown and Aeon's End has been a huge hit this whole time.
They're all vaccinated and already getting better, it's most likely only a matter of time until we get together again. Thanks for the kind words.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New box-art of Carcassone

Certainly lacks the raw sexual tension of 1st Edition.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Eraflure posted:

Just thank your lucky stars it didn’t arrive earlier.

E: I hope everyone pulls through quickly!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 5, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Infinitum posted:

New box-art of Carcassone

Certainly lacks the raw sexual tension of 1st Edition.

That's a nice box cover! And the old one was really bad!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

And the old one was really bad!

:thunk:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

That new box cover is terrible. We all know it's about placing tiles, make an evocative and cool cover instead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Make it like the My City cover, with the tiles flying in. They were nominated for a Spiel des Jahres award you know!"
"We... we WON a Speil des Jahres"

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That new box cover is terrible. We all know it's about placing tiles, make an evocative and cool cover instead.

I want my Carcassonne cover to have a bikini lady riding a dragon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The new Carc cover art is great but the font is terrible

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tragedy Looper, a good game despite what it looks like and the company involved is called, is getting new expansion(s?) for its 10th anniversary.

https://main-bakafire.ssl-lolipop.jp/rooper/10th/rei.html

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
e: oops posted in the wrong thread

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 5, 2021

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gschmidl posted:

Tragedy Looper, a good game despite what it looks like and the company involved is called, is getting new expansion(s?) for its 10th anniversary.

gently caress yes

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

gschmidl posted:

Here's hoping they don't screw up the reference sheets and render it unplayable this time!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

The new Carc cover art is great but the font is terrible

Grcassonne

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The font is a definite downgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd love to play Tragedy Looper again but I showed it to two groups of friends and hosed up playing the mastermind so bad that the they didn't see the appeal of the game :(