Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
No idea about the quality or ease of use, but ran across this and at least thought it was neat. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6169

It's a neat idea, and supposedly they worked with the original design team for the think pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Thank you all for the clear key suggestions, those were all great ideas (love the front letter clear tops from drop, wish they had a white version). I decided not to do my garish Womier build idea after all, though.

Khorne posted:

Going to a modern keyboard with low debounce time, high scan rate, high polling rate was crazy, because keyups were what the game I played relied on. It was jarring that certain movements were happening up to 200ms earlier. I am no longer playing at the limit of my keyboard and instead I am limited by my inputs. I have been spending time retraining myself to tap much faster and not take weird tempo breaks. On the positive tho, it wasn't exactly a fighting game and playing smoothly is a valuable skill that the keyboard forced me into.

The other weird thing switching to a keyboard with lower delay is learning to time shift differently. I was holding shift down way too long on the old keyboard and it instantly showed.

Are there any split keyboards with a focus on this? According to Rtings my Kinesis has 10ms of latency, which is probably fine 99.9% of the time but still but a good bit higher than many other gaming models. I definitely notice shift seeming to apply for longer while typing (hitting the first two letters instead of just the first) than on my previous RK84 (but maybe that's me holding it too long, as you said?), and every once in a while something in-game will feel off as well.

Koskun posted:

No idea about the quality or ease of use, but ran across this and at least thought it was neat. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6169

It's a neat idea, and supposedly they worked with the original design team for the think pad.

This is loving gorgeous and I wish they'd gone with a normal sized left control instead of the classic Thinkpad weirdness. It would be perfect if so.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Daily update for people who want it:

- PCBs are stuck in Customs.
- I now have Midjack, Eric the Mauve, and Saturnine Aberrance's switches.
- Wizard of the Deep, your switches haven't come in yet.

If this is irritating the poo poo out of anybody, tell me and I'll quit. I just figured that the thread's a good central place to keep the orderers up to date and also to show anyone who's never done this kind of thing how it works out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah I mean getting it by Christmas would have been cool but I always knew that was unrealistic and will be looking forward to it whenever it comes along. And will post pics in this thread of course with a big ol' :iia:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Exit Strategy posted:

If this is irritating the poo poo out of anybody, tell me and I'll quit. I just figured that the thread's a good central place to keep the orderers up to date and also to show anyone who's never done this kind of thing how it works out.

hell no let's do more group buys and pcbs in general!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Today I learned that NKRO mode on the Kinesis Freestyle Edge has to be manually turned on and will turn itself back off anytime you unplug the keyboard (which seems to include shutting off the connected PC) or use the programming software. It also has no indicator light, so the only way to check if it's on or off is to open Notepad and have the keyboard spit out a written status report.

Who the hell was responsible for this? Why would you ever want NKRO off? And even if you did, why did they think it was a good idea to have your preferred setting not stick?! And not including an indicator light for it on a $200 keyboard is just... wow.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Years ago I got a Filco TKL with Cherry Blue switches. I like it but my wife hates the loudness and I've found gaming performance to be less than ideal. I'm looking for a new keyboard.

Wired is fine and I don't care about RBG one way or the other. I'm mostly concerned about build quality (key caps that don't fade would be great) and getting appropriate switches. I do want another TKL, though.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Exit Strategy posted:

I think it's awesome, that keyboard is just not for me. I'd love to own one but I'd never use it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hi thread, I know this thread is more for cool keyboards, but...

Are security vulnerabilities with wireless keyboards really something to worry about? I just picked up a Logitech MK470 mouse+keyboard combo which has a non-unifying receiver, and I didn't really think about this until now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I mean I suppose it's possible but it's probably unlikely.
Like... I wouldn't think the CIA would trust them but you're probably fine at home :shrug:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

hell no let's do more group buys and pcbs in general!

Not emptyquoting

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hi thread, I know this thread is more for cool keyboards, but...

Are security vulnerabilities with wireless keyboards really something to worry about? I just picked up a Logitech MK470 mouse+keyboard combo which has a non-unifying receiver, and I didn't really think about this until now.

It's not really something to worry about. If someone's going to try to sniff your wireless keyboard transmissions they'll need to be close and have a setup to do it. It's not that it's not a security risk, it's just pretty minor. You don't type passwords anymore, you use a password manager (well, you absolutely should if you don't) that will autotype it for you. You also need to estimate your risk versus what your real threats are. It's not that it's impossible for someone to do, it's just unlikely to be high on the list of stuff that people would bother with.

If you're worried about a three letter agency they'll have better stuff than sniffing your wireless keyboard (you can look up Van Eck monitoring), or they'll just come in and take everything that plugs in because they have a warrant or decide you're a terrorist so they can grab you in the name of homeland defense. If it's someone else then again they will probably have better ways to see what you're doing. If it's criminals and they want something they will just hurt you until you give it to them. If that kind of thing is going on the keyboard is probably the least of your worries.

Definitely cover your house in grounded mesh to keep all the radio frequencies from getting in or out, and then also block all the windows, and don't let any sound or vibrations get out. Living in a sealed metal cube is the only way to be sure.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
The biggest vuln you'll run into with keyboard software are the kind where companies make bad desktop software that exposes a webserver that runs as the SYSTEM user because it's hooked into the drivers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

From a security perspective it’s your consumer router that is the weakest link, from my understanding.

Someone asked a page or two back any Vortex race 3 isn’t great. I think it’s a well built board, but for its price there are better out now. Also, they do have a known rusting issue in the frame you check by removing a screw.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've just been informed that on Friday I'll be ordering another run of Sweet Business, if anyone wanted in but didn't get into the first batch. PM me for details or find me on Discord, Fate#9857 .

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

https://github.com/insecurityofthings/jackit

Proprietary wireless keyboard/mouse systems are often pretty poo poo from a security standpoint. If the device has a firmware update from after these sorts of things went mainstream it might not be vulnerable to the same attacks, but that certainly doesn't mean it's secure.

That said I have Logitech receivers on both my desktop and my HTPC and I'm not really concerned. Normal people who don't have a reason to believe they might be targeted and aren't entering PHI with the devices don't really have much to worry about unless they have a bored geek living nearby.

edit: You know what, I've been looking for a project and I have other ideas the nRF board could be useful for, I'm buying the parts and will test it out with my MK270 and G700S. Will report back.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 2, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

S'all good, before Christmas would have been magical but also unrealistic considering everything. Thanks for the updates!

Also I locked myself out of my Discord by forgetting to transfer Google Authenticator so PM me if you need payment!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

It's not really something to worry about. If someone's going to try to sniff your wireless keyboard transmissions they'll need to be close and have a setup to do it. It's not that it's not a security risk, it's just pretty minor. You don't type passwords anymore, you use a password manager (well, you absolutely should if you don't) that will autotype it for you. You also need to estimate your risk versus what your real threats are. It's not that it's impossible for someone to do, it's just unlikely to be high on the list of stuff that people would bother with.

If you're worried about a three letter agency they'll have better stuff than sniffing your wireless keyboard (you can look up Van Eck monitoring), or they'll just come in and take everything that plugs in because they have a warrant or decide you're a terrorist so they can grab you in the name of homeland defense. If it's someone else then again they will probably have better ways to see what you're doing. If it's criminals and they want something they will just hurt you until you give it to them. If that kind of thing is going on the keyboard is probably the least of your worries.

Definitely cover your house in grounded mesh to keep all the radio frequencies from getting in or out, and then also block all the windows, and don't let any sound or vibrations get out. Living in a sealed metal cube is the only way to be sure.

Noted! Locking down my house now!

(thanks for the input everyone, I guess I should have figured it wasn't really worth worrying about given the prominence of wireless keyboards)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's definitely something to think about and worth a discussion, but even WiFi is not terribly secure, so from a practical standpoint it just seems like it's pretty far down the list of things to be concerned with unless you have exceptional circumstances.

mewse
May 2, 2006

UNINSTALLING WIFI
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▢
  ╭━╮╭━╮╭╮ ╱   
  ╰━┫╰━┫╰╯╱╭╮   
  ╰━╯╰━╯ ╱ ╰╯      
    COMPLETE

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Keyboard thread we're going to do the needful.

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

Re: sweet business

I think it is such an awesome concept that I hope you keep posting. Work in progress pictures would be cool too!

Re: foam

I like the stupidfish.design foam. https://stupidfish.design/collections/keyboard-foams

I have installed their case and plate foam into a Drop Alt low profile, Novelkeys NK65 aluminium, and most recently the Keychron Q1. The foam completely eliminated the ping in my stock Keychron Q1 and improved the sound and feel of the Drop Alt and NK65. Each keyboard has lubed stabilizers and various brands of lubed linear switches. The sounded decent before, but adding the foam improved it them a lot - especially the Q1. Now they all sound similar to those fancy Taeha Type custom builds.

For you linear bros, I recently put Everglide Aqua Kings in the NK65. They are factory lubed and feel so smooth. They are my favorite linear by far. I like them better than my Krytox 205g0 Kailh Burgundy and the stock Gateron Phantom Reds from the Q1.
(Gateron "Phantom" Reds included with the Keychron Q2 are factory lubed and have a transparent red housing. They sound and feel a lot better than the stock Gateron reds from my Keychron K2v2.)

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

S'all good, before Christmas would have been magical but also unrealistic considering everything. Thanks for the updates!

PM sent for details on switches and payment, but also:

The vulgar exigencies of global capitalism and logistics continue to ruin my poo poo. I'm lucky to have enough MCUs, honestly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Blinkz0rz posted:

The biggest vuln you'll run into with keyboard software are the kind where companies make bad desktop software that exposes a webserver that runs as the SYSTEM user because it's hooked into the drivers.

https://www.pcgamer.com/razer-windows-10-security-flaw-admin/

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Who’s familiar with CAD and wants to make a hollow rectangle to put this monstrosity (Sweet Business) kb in? Otherwise maybe it’ll be my new project to attempt. Was hoping to do something similar to the now defunct keyboardbelle that I got a 3D printed case from.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I wanna meet the dude or dudette with a 3d printer big enough to make a case for Sweet Business.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Don't forget the time they put a crypto miner in their driver. At first they didn't tell people it was in it, then they didn't have a way to opt out. You also didn't make any crypto from it, only got credits for their store.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Just want to join the chorus of appreciating the Sweet Business updates (though I have a clear bias), and hope we see more of the like in the future.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wanna meet the dude or dudette with a 3d printer big enough to make a case for Sweet Business.

I was planning on getting it milled in town from alu but could probably slice in 2 pieces and print in mine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
this is clever

from the Anne Pro 2

anyone know if it actually works well?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rinkles posted:

this is clever

from the Anne Pro 2

anyone know if it actually works well?

Yeah, that's a pretty standard feature in QMK, which most hobby-level keyboards use nowadays. It's an ideal use case in a 60% for arrows because trying to shove real arrow keys on a 60% is like when I try to put on my jeans that I bought before the pandemic started.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gearman posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty standard feature in QMK, which most hobby-level keyboards use nowadays. It's an ideal use case in a 60% for arrows because trying to shove real arrow keys on a 60% is like when I try to put on my jeans that I bought before the pandemic started.

could i force my cheapo keyboard to work with QMK? it didn't come with any software.
e:great. the link now 404s. they removed the listing.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You cannot, the PCB must be designed with QMK support in mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

too bad. thanks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

This is why 65% is probably as low I as I will ever go. I can sacrifice my F row and numpad, but you will never take my arrow keys from me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah I have to toggle them on and off way more often than I'd like

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Framboise posted:

This is why 65% is probably as low I as I will ever go. I can sacrifice my F row and numpad, but you will never take my arrow keys from me.

60% and use caps as mod to use vim keys (or ijkl) to never leave homerow again :discourse:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LochNessMonster posted:

60% and use caps as mod to use vim keys (or ijkl) to never leave homerow again :discourse:

You will never take my arrow keys from me.

actually the creativity involved in making layers and modifiers not only usable but efficient is very impressive but I don't know if I'll ever be able to wrap my brain around it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It takes a while to make good ones that fit your use cases, but it's really worth it IMO. People often use it to ditch rarely used keys for a smaller keyboard, but for me it's all about avoiding hand movement to keep from straining my wrists. So, for example, I have a layer that I hold a key to toggle, and it turns the left side of the board into symbols (for coding mostly) and the right side into math operators. Then another layer that turns the keys under my right hand into an arrow pad, one for a numpad, etc.

They're not super optimized and I should probably keep improving them, but they were a huge part of fixing bad wrist strain I was getting. So even if they aren't the fastest, they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Opioid posted:

Who’s familiar with CAD and wants to make a hollow rectangle to put this monstrosity (Sweet Business) kb in? Otherwise maybe it’ll be my new project to attempt. Was hoping to do something similar to the now defunct keyboardbelle that I got a 3D printed case from.

My dude, I can absolutely work with you to make a case in SpaceClaim this coming week if you want.

e: I'll design it up, but *my god* you are probably responsible for actually loving having it made. I have access to a CNC router and some 20mm thick Acrylic if you think that you'd like to pay for the added weight and my time there.

So. Updates. The new batch of toggle switches are on their way from Montana, and I've started the cut on the plates. What's going out to Goons in this run will be the Sweet Business Mk2, with black PCB and - gasp - functional underlight *and* audio. It'll be amazing.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 3, 2021