Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

empty whippet box posted:

workin' customer service calls on black friday, let's do this orbies

goon speed my gentle orb, hope it has nothing to do with payment systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

goon speed my gentle orb, hope it has nothing to do with payment systems

it does, very specifically! but actually today has been fairly chill so far, much less busy than expected. it's almost as if people aren't as gung ho about shopping on black friday this year as historical data may have predicted! can't think of any reason why, probably a fluke. open biden.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cruft

I'm very pleased to report that I don't get it!

(Please don't explain it to me, it'll just stress me out.)

Zil

Yeah best to leave cspam stuff there and not bring it here. Can be difficult if you posted there for a long time, but I have found it best to let go of those maladaptive thought processes.

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
'cspam stuff'? uh, I'm sorry you don't get the reference I made but don't try to police my posting, you are not a moderator and I do not appreciate it. actually I will just not post here either anymore goodbye. I seriously am not welcome anywhere on this website and it's really time i just accepted it and moved on for real

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 27, 2021

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Zil

my orb, I am not attacking you. Just saying that the open biden catchphrase may not be the best to use in places outside of the other forum. You can post where ever and whenever you like, just was a suggestion is all.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
gently caress a job.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress a drat job.

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

gently caress a job.

Mormon Nailer posted:

gently caress a drat job.

Farecoal

There he go
I felt like poo poo today so took a nap at work in addition to my regular breaks and lunch :ssh:

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Client: Hey Buttchocks, instead of working from home on your own CAD workstation, would you be interested in flying to our office on the other side of the country during the week and then flying home on the weekend, every week during the holiday season, in the middle of a pandemic, so you can use a lovely laptop in one of our lovely cubicles? That way, instead of having conference calls with a bunch of people, you could sit in a room with another person while having conference calls with a bunch of people! We think this might improve productivity.

Me: I can't imagine why your projects are always behind schedule and going over budget. :iiam:

Escape From Noise

Buttchocks posted:

Client: Hey Buttchocks, instead of working from home on your own CAD workstation, would you be interested in flying to our office on the other side of the country during the week and then flying home on the weekend, every week during the holiday season, in the middle of a pandemic, so you can use a lovely laptop in one of our lovely cubicles? That way, instead of having conference calls with a bunch of people, you could sit in a room with another person while having conference calls with a bunch of people! We think this might improve productivity.

Me: I can't imagine why your projects are always behind schedule and going over budget. :iiam:

But if you don't middle management will look like it's useless!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Buttchocks posted:

This kind of idiocy is rampant among older middle managers; they simply cannot let go of their micromanagement tendencies and ingrained belief that all employees need constant supervision to stay productive (this is basic projection, they are all lazy themselves so assume that you are too). I guarantee you that doofus making the request thinks that having you in the office will mean they can magically increase your productivity, using the ancient capitalist ritual of "breathing down your neck all day"

The sad part is that none of these idiots realise that this only actually decreases productivity, since you have to constantly explain to them what you are in the middle of doing instead of just getting it done :ughh:

I am soooo glad my current manager is basically hands off, we get told our deliverables and we talk when there are blockers, but the rest is left to the team to sort out itself. It does help that I'm also on a different continent to them so there's not really a choice lol

Zurtilik

Real worried about new boss being more micromanaging. Should be polishing up this resume soon.

Gramps

lol my immediate supervisor put in his notice today after 23 years with the company. No idea why.

gently caress a jorb

cruft

Buttchocks posted:

We're getting the same thing. It's mind blowing.

I saw a statistic that 75% of employees age 20-40 would consider leaving their job for one that allowed them to work from home. Let that sink in. 75%.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

cruft posted:

We're getting the same thing. It's mind blowing.

I saw a statistic that 75% of employees age 20-40 would consider leaving their job for one that allowed them to work from home. Let that sink in. 75%.

This is the same client that asked me to fly down to their office to give a presentation to senior management, and when I got there half the people who were supposed to attend skipped it, and the other half phoned in from somewhere else. I spent an entire 14-hour day traveling for no reason.

Farecoal

There he go

cruft posted:

Let that sink in.

I get that sink is your friend but the sink and I are going through some stuff right now and we need to work it out between ourselves so please just butt out

cruft

Farecoal posted:

I get that sink is your friend but the sink and I are going through some stuff right now and we need to work it out between ourselves so please just butt out

Okay, fair, and I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch: I honestly didn't know. If that sink comes by again later, please make sure to mention there's always room on my couch.

NumptyScrub

Gramps posted:

lol my immediate supervisor put in his notice today after 23 years with the company. No idea why.

gently caress a jorb

This is a rats / sinking ship situation, I would recommend extreme GTFO vibes right now because sure as hell they leveraged the 23 year seniority for your manager to keep them there as long as they could

If your supervisor really wants out then go go go go go go yourself because oh my word

You need to look for new stuff right now

Gramps

NumptyScrub posted:

This is a rats / sinking ship situation, I would recommend extreme GTFO vibes right now because sure as hell they leveraged the 23 year seniority for your manager to keep them there as long as they could

If your supervisor really wants out then go go go go go go yourself because oh my word

You need to look for new stuff right now

Oh its way past that point lol. We were a startup that got bought several years ago. New product development was at a glacial pace, last year all the exec level people at our company were poo poo canned and they basically absorbed all our employees into the bigger company. I'm now solo whereas I had 6 people on my team before. My job is safe unless they completely mothball the product line but that would be such an epic pr disaster the entire board would fired. I get paid a lot to do very little so I'm gonna make em fire me but it suuuuucks

NumptyScrub

Gramps posted:

Oh its way past that point lol. We were a startup that got bought several years ago. New product development was at a glacial pace, last year all the exec level people at our company were poo poo canned and they basically absorbed all our employees into the bigger company. I'm now solo whereas I had 6 people on my team before. My job is safe unless they completely mothball the product line but that would be such an epic pr disaster the entire board would fired. I get paid a lot to do very little so I'm gonna make em fire me but it suuuuucks

Ok this is beyond my experience but if you are good where you are then godspeed goon friend :coal:

Gramps

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok this is beyond my experience but if you are good where you are then godspeed goon friend :coal:

Oh yeah I saw literally all of this coming a few years ago. I just hope I get a fat severance when they finally cut me loose. None of the chain of command above me knows anything about what I do. The ship sank already I'm just rowing around in a lifeboat eating all the food I looted from the galley

Zurtilik

Boss is coming to sit down and watch me for like 3 hours to analyze some dumb report I do even though he's retiring in like two weeks. Also they're gearing up to train me to do another job so I'm doing like 3 people's jobs now and they clearly indicated they weren't going to get anyone new.

Get.
me.
out.
of.
here.

I think I'm taking tomorrow off to polish the resume and send like 9,000 job apps.

Zurtilik

I don't expect to ever 'enjoy' a job but I figure if I am going to hate doing something I might as well get more money for it.

xcheopis

Back to work after a nice week off.
I don't wanna!!!

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I'm finally clearing out the stack of hard copies of approved documents that have been sitting on my desk waiting to be copied, bound and mailed for over two months! Granted, it's all a stall tactic to avoid having to deal with a few real pain in the rear end emails currently sitting in my inbox. But still! Tangible progress!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I venture into the office on Fridays to support the test people, but they're not testing today, and I'm on my own. Nobody else turned up either. Bah. I shall eat all the office popcorn

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

xcheopis

One of my colleagues missed being a victim of a drive-by shooting near her office by about two minutes. She is understandably still a little freaked out about it!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

xcheopis posted:

One of my colleagues missed being a victim of a drive-by shooting near her office by about two minutes. She is understandably still a little freaked out about it!

that's a huge friggin yikes

Zurtilik

I took the day off and whipped up a resume. Gonna start job hunting here shortly.

xcheopis

Dr. Honked posted:

that's a huge friggin yikes

It happened the day before Thanksgiving and a security guard for a reporter was murdered. He might not have died but the ambulance didn't show, so the police told him to walk to their car and they'd drive him. Naturally, he collapsed and so they just hauled him in to the car and drove off. The ambulance did eventually arrive but far far too late.
My colleague was being interviewed and felt she really needed to get back to work, so she walked away and moments later...

Zurtilik posted:

I took the day off and whipped up a resume. Gonna start job hunting here shortly.

Just in case you need the info: askamanager.org has loads of excellent job hunting advice

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

xcheopis posted:

It happened the day before Thanksgiving and a security guard for a reporter was murdered. He might not have died but the ambulance didn't show, so the police told him to walk to their car and they'd drive him. Naturally, he collapsed and so they just hauled him in to the car and drove off. The ambulance did eventually arrive but far far too late.
My colleague was being interviewed and felt she really needed to get back to work, so she walked away and moments later...

yikes intensifies

the guy was guarding the reporter??? sounds like an extremely rough neighbourhood????????

xcheopis

Dr. Honked posted:

yikes intensifies

the guy was guarding the reporter??? sounds like an extremely rough neighbourhood????????

It happened in downtown Oakland and the reporter was reporting on back-to-back thefts from a nearby shoe store. I guess they sell high-end shoes or something.
My colleague told us that the reporter quit her job on the spot.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
oof. sounds like a wise career move

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
My friend is a librarian at an elementary school and apparently some dude has been strolling up with a machete every other week or so for a few months. Just gets picked up by the cops, then shows back up as soon as his meds wear off again.

Sometimes jobs that should not be scary get real scary and I wish I could do more than give her a hug.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
yikes. crazy people are universal regardless of the specific job, I guess.

omg I can't wait until my boss returns in a couple weeks. it's been three weeks of working under a more senior employee and it's been hell. Everything has to be a crisis and on top of that it's extremely disorganized, so it ends up feeling like I'm barely keeping a ship from sinking while also looking inadequate at my job because of the deluge of stupid needless poo poo

Zurtilik

xcheopis posted:

Just in case you need the info: askamanager.org has loads of excellent job hunting advice

Thanks I'll give it a gander =]

Escape From Noise

Feeling like I peaked professionally two companies ago with the company owned by the micromanaging psychopath. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik

Was feeling pretty good until I had to drive into work. Maybe the problem is work?