Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes, because it was so confusing that it fostered a sense of community between people who were trying to figure it out

its not that confusing hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh yeah I forgot the games are very famous for being really easy to navigate and understand, my bad how could I have been so silly. “Ease of accessibility” yes sir, that’s what people think of when they think of Dark Souls!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It would not have hurt you to play the game instead of rubbing one off to low poly girls in bideogames hth

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Healbot posted:

It would not have hurt you to play the game instead of rubbing one off to low poly girls in bideogames hth

Rodd will bust.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I played Dark Souls at a friend's house once, and the first thing I did was walk up to the big prison demon lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Does the Switch port for this work OK? I loved it on PC

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Does the Switch port for this work OK? I loved it on PC

Yep, works perfectly fine. I played it all the way through, no issue.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I found where I was supposed to go! I would never have found that door to Lower Burger without you guys, thanks!

Yes the game is obtuse and confusing, on purpose I feel. The combat doesn't feel especially engaging right now, the sound design is terrible (I accidentally murdered that sorcerer and used his quiet ring and sounds/ambience just stop and start, sounds awful), and the game purposely doesn't tell you much, like I had to Google what "humanity" was.

Oh yeah! I love how when you walk through a white gate you're doing a walk animation and the boss just runs up and hits you and there's nothing you can do it about it! loving Capra

I will persevere! I want to equip this Guts Greatsword I found.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the games are very famous for being really easy to navigate and understand, my bad how could I have been so silly. “Ease of accessibility” yes sir, that’s what people think of when they think of Dark Souls!

Internet hyperbole has really skewed people's perception of the game. It's not the most beginner friendly game but that's because its a survival action puzzle game rather than a mindless hack n slash.

Other than a few minor obtuse things like some stats not being clearly explained, dark souls, a pretty bog standard video game. It's just not going to play itself like most games that were being released at the time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I got my Pro Controller yesterday and it's so nice being able to wake my system from the controller :allears: SN30Pro+, you served me well, but you couldn't do that so RIP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh yeah! I love how when you walk through a white gate you're doing a walk animation and the boss just runs up and hits you and there's nothing you can do it about it! loving Capra

I will persevere! I want to equip this Guts Greatsword I found.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looking forward to Dusk and Hades for Christmas. :getin:

If anyone wants a good turn based roguelike strategy other than Into the Breach, I still recommend Invisible Inc.

dusk is insanely loving good bro i'm on my fourth playthrough. best single player fps since like, idk. titanfall 2 probably

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha! This gently caress was nothing without his dogs! Shoved my gargoyle axe right up his jacksy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah why do you think its one of the most successful franchises of the previous decade? dumbass

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

How's the performance on XCOM 2? Been thinking about picking up that and Age of Calamity, but I'm worried the performance on XCom will be utter dogshit

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kass's music is just Spirited Away

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Dark Souls was a very intuitive and organic experience, largely because of its reputation of being neither. Once you learn to not hoard souls, there's basically no punishment for dying.

Probably helps that I never stumbled across the New Londo elevator. Going there early on and thinking it's progress sounds right miserable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Party Miser posted:

weird that it came hacked out of the box from best buy
I can't tell if you're being serious or wat. From Amazon questions about the SN30 Pro+:

quote:

Can this controller wake the Switch from sleep mode?
Answer:Sorry, it can not wake the Switch from sleep mode.

8Bitdo Manufacturer · July 25, 2019
Like, what are you doing that is turning on your Switch with it? 'Cause they definitely aren't supposed to be able to.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Martman posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or wat. From Amazon questions about the SN30 Pro+:

Like, what are you doing that is turning on your Switch with it? 'Cause they definitely aren't supposed to be able to.

holding the start button and y connects and that wakes it up

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well, that's weird. I could speculate that for some reason maybe your Switch actually isn't going to sleep when you think it is, but without a video or something I will assume you got a magic controller.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought Dark Souls was a very intuitive and organic experience

You and nearly every developer under the sun given how influential the franchise has been in AAA as well as indie single player experiences

What's funny is I don't think they did much of anything new, they simply brought us back to the gold standards that had already been established by franchises like mega man, Metroid, Castlevania (well some of em, there's a few stinkers), etc

Tight game design where flow matters, something that developers focused on less and less as they wrestled with having to create worlds and experiences in 3d

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

You and nearly every developer under the sun given how influential the franchise has been in AAA as well as indie single player experiences

What's funny is I don't think they did much of anything new, they simply brought us back to the gold standards that had already been established by franchises like mega man, Metroid, Castlevania (well some of em, there's a few stinkers), etc

Tight game design where flow matters, something that developers focused on less and less as they wrestled with having to create worlds and experiences in 3d

You're not wrong but I think it was important and necessary. Open-worlds seemed like the end-game for gaming for a while there, and while yes it's great and neat, just look at Minecraft's popularity and how amazing BotW, a more finely crafted experience is also worth while.

Actually I thought BotW was a happy medium since it's map is still clearly crafted, much like the intricate level design of Dark Souls. It's not some randomly generated map nor is it as barebones as say Skyrim.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Very true, I think the tight and punishing action renaissance it brought on is only one flavor of peak gaming experiences. If you're into that specific experience though, god drat they are so many good games to play right now. I'm currently having my face melted off by nioh 2, I got back into it now that there's that PS5 patch

But yeah I like me some open world chill experiences as much as the next guy too. Botw owns

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
BOTW is the spiritual sequel to Far Cry 2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Party Miser posted:

holding the start button and y connects and that wakes it up

I own 4 of these controllers, all different, purchased between early 2019 and a month ago, and this has never happened for me. I don't know what your situation is, but out of the box, the SNES30 Pro, SF30 Pro, SNES30 Pro + (purple buttons) and SNES30 Pro + (red buttons) do not turn on the Switch from a sleep state. :shrug:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Party Miser over here with the holy grail switch controller.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I hadn't thought about the "flow" aspect of DS, but yeah. It does capture that timing aspect like an old platformer despite being ostensibly an open world.

gently caress. Now I'm gonna start playing again, I think I pyro'ed my way past the gargoyles last time before quitting again.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Martman posted:

I've also noticed that the Power-A wireless controller can wake the system from sleep and send the TV an HDMI signal to start up, but I don't think it was ever advertised to do that.

Do we have weird sleep settings that are, um, weird?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mdemone posted:

I've also noticed that the Power-A wireless controller can wake the system from sleep and send the TV an HDMI signal to start up, but I don't think it was ever advertised to do that.

Do we have weird sleep settings that are, um, weird?
AFAIK Power-A ones are "officially licensed" Nintendo controllers which means they're allowed to include that functionality. So yeah you should be able to turn it on with those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mdemone posted:

I hadn't thought about the "flow" aspect of DS, but yeah. It does capture that timing aspect like an old platformer despite being ostensibly an open world.

gently caress. Now I'm gonna start playing again, I think I pyro'ed my way past the gargoyles last time before quitting again.

All this DS talk makes me want to buy it for the Switch, but... do I wanna put myself through that all again? I love the first parts of it, pretty much everything up until you defeat that giant at the end of Sens Fortress, but then I got to Anor Londo and ehhhh.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Loving Sen's Fortress and hating Anor Londo is definitely an opinion, for sure. Theoretically someone could feel that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

BOTW is the spiritual sequel to Far Cry 2

No wonder I don't like it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you discount the absolutely stunning visuals of Anor Londo (which I wouldn't, personally), yeah, that checks out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

b_d posted:

Loving Sen's Fortress and hating Anor Londo is definitely an opinion, for sure. Theoretically someone could feel that way.

I meant that's when I really stopped, since Sens fortress took a lot out of me by then.

Here's a better way to describe my feelings on it: my love for Dark Souls diminishes the more I advance through it. After Sens, I was done, and that's even considering I got Solaire's help.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dark Souls owns. replaying it now for the first time in ages, after being obsessed with all the recent From games.

it's a good iteration of a 3D modern metroidvania; loads of winding paths, more unlock as you proceed through the world, you gradually power up and get more skills. i think its other big contribution to 'game culture' is that it adopts a strong "show don't tell" approach to storytelling. very few of the in-game cutscenes have dialogue. the opening spiel is flavor text but next to useless. you can read item descriptions and listen to vaatividya if you want but otherwise it's just endlessly tough boss fights and twisted level design. at the time it was released it was baffling and cryptic and mysterious.

also the oppressive and punishing tone of it rules. it knows it's stupidly hard and full of 'gotcha' bullshit. i love that. Patches exists to taunt you. the level design just keeps upping the punishment. "oh cool capra demon just one-shot me, again." "oh cool the entire place is a poison bog that takes forever to walk through." "oh cool this place is pitch black and giant skeleton dogs keep poppin up out of nowhere." this is not sarcasm, i sincerely love all of these things. it's not an arcade cabinet where i have to sink quarters into it to get better. i can just try again.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I meant that's when I really stopped, since Sens fortress took a lot out of me by then.

Here's a better way to describe my feelings on it: my love for Dark Souls diminishes the more I advance through it. After Sens, I was done, and that's even considering I got Solaire's help.

yeah i don't think this is an especially wild opinion - the latter half of dark souls 1 is very obviously rushed and a lot less fun than the first half.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but when people say that they mean dragon butt lava land and the crystal cave not Anor Londo which is one of the high points of the game.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Quick Dark Souls question: Is it more cheat-y to summon some bros or to put down your own summon sign for bosses you haven't fought yet?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is never cheating to summon bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XenoCrab posted:

Quick Dark Souls question: Is it more cheat-y to summon some bros or to put down your own summon sign for bosses you haven't fought yet?

if you need humanity, drop your own sign
if you wanna crush a boss, summon yo bro and sis