Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hello hot hatch thread I can participate properly here in a few months.

1989 Nissan March Super Turbo, in Europe as the Micra. 1000cc homologation car, 5 speed, FWD, LSD, turbo and super charged. 70k miles total and unmodified. Going to take a while to get from Japan to here unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Now that is loving cool

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

loving awesome right there.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That is awesome, can't wait to hear impressions when you get it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Those shot up in value crazy after the mighty car mods feature length film on Marty's acquisition of one, didn't they?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dope!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Hello hot hatch thread I can participate properly here in a few months.

1989 Nissan March Super Turbo, in Europe as the Micra. 1000cc homologation car, 5 speed, FWD, LSD, turbo and super charged. 70k miles total and unmodified. Going to take a while to get from Japan to here unfortunately.

Hell yes

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bajaha posted:

Those shot up in value crazy after the mighty car mods feature length film on Marty's acquisition of one, didn't they?

They did yeah, but because of the New Way™, anything interesting has gone vertical in value. I've been chasing one of these down since we started importing, but as you can imagine there aren't many and when they do come up it's common to seem them roached. Was quite lucky on this one, didn't seem like there were many people after it and, considering where the value is going for these, it was a really great buy. Downside is it is leaking oil (from the valve cover from what they can see) and the right side axle boot is torn. We're getting that taken care of while its still in Japan (along with whatever else it needs).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Turbo and super 1000cc? Whaaaat?

I adore that thing.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Rolo posted:

I adore that thing.

No, no, no.
1000 cc, turbo AND supercharger!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KakerMix posted:

Magnificent and magical.

i rarely dont want to mess with a car but that thing is :discourse:

e: you are keeping it right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

sneakyfrog posted:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Just passed ~30k miles in my FoST so this past weekend I decided to take care of my "get ready for winter" + general maintenance that I've been neglecting. Filters, plugs, oil change, coolant, etc but primarily I finally did my FoRS Front Brembos + FoRS Rear Frankenbrake upgrade and wow. What a huge difference. Easily the best upgrade I've done to the way the car "feels" while driving. Highly suggest anyone out there who's stock brakes might be getting a bit weary to go this route. Super easy install and overall not a huge price difference vs just replacing with stock or aftermarket stuff and basically pennies compared to any of the aftermarket BBK's. The pedal feel and the smooth/linear pressure of them is just soooo much nicer compared to stock. Got me very excited for when I get my new DWS06+ tires mounted up this weekend, should feel like a whole new car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rolo posted:

I adore that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQGkaMunYc

sneakyfrog posted:

Magnificent and magical.

i rarely dont want to mess with a car but that thing is :discourse:

There is no 'place' for it besides "heh cool" but I don't know, if I'm compelled to keep it I'll do so. I doubt it though! Will have fun with it for a bit at least.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sounds like GR Corolla might actually be a go for the US market? Hype if true

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-gr-corolla-rumors

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

That is a very ugly car though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
GR Yaris or go to hell

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Both the Yaris and Corolla are ugly, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t make me excited. I want that goofy handbrake setup and the 60/40 split drive ratios.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

if Toyota pulls this off with ~280hp, and AWD as the rumors are circulating, and manages to keep the price down it'll be a smash.

I have this sinking feeling it's going to be like $39,000 + ADM though

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

GR Yaris or go to hell

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Monkey Fracas posted:

GR Yaris or go to hell

:emptyquote:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is this going to be one of those cases where ROW gets the homologation special (Yaris GR) and we get a watered down car with a badge to please the general market?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

Is this going to be one of those cases where ROW gets the homologation special (Yaris GR) and we get a watered down car with a badge to please the general market?

Yes but I still want one. Hoping it's more special than just the drivetrain and suspension/brake upgrades but they wouldn't be able to get it to pass US regulations if they gave it the GR Yaris treatment. Hoping it's under 40k!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They could beat the pants off Hyundai and everyone else if they priced it near 35, but I doubt that will happen. The GR86 isn’t insanely expensive, but doesn’t have nearly as much as this is teasing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is there any chance the GR Corolla will have a dual-clutch of some sort? I strongly doubt it, but it would be nice. I've got manuals in other cars, my daily really has to have an automatic and I love my dual-clutch.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
A dual clutch would be great, I'd settle for the ZF 8-speed they put in the Supra(and a lot of cars use). But this is Toyota and unless the car costs $50k+ it will probably have either no automatic or something slow from a Rav4. And don't forget a lackluster interior, somewhere between Honda and Mazda.

Or, it will be a really neat car not offered on this continent.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Coolnezzz posted:

Yes but I still want one. Hoping it's more special than just the drivetrain and suspension/brake upgrades but they wouldn't be able to get it to pass US regulations if they gave it the GR Yaris treatment. Hoping it's under 40k!

Please to explain. Why can't the GR Yaris pass US regulations? I would've pre-ordered one if it had actually come to the US. :(

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

The Corolla is going to be manual only IIRC.

Also yeah there's no way in the planet they're going to federalize the Yaris for the US to bring it here.

The Corolla looks rad and only weighs 3000lbs in normal guise so the only thing left to screw up is pricing it next to the CTR without offering nearly as much value

MetaJew posted:

Please to explain. Why can't the GR Yaris pass US regulations? I would've pre-ordered one if it had actually come to the US. :(

Well, the Yaris in general is no longer sold in the US so they'd need to do all of the legalization for that model just to get this sporty version. And the US spent a decade telling Toyota they didn't want Yarises or any other small cars

Also some details from TFA:

quote:

While the GR Yaris, designed from the wheels up to compete in the World Rally Championship, shares only its front and rear lights, exterior rear-view mirrors, and the roof -mounted antenna with the XP210 Yaris launched in 2020, the GR Corolla will share most of its basic structural and body hardware with the regular E210 Corolla hatchback. It will, however, get aggressive front and rear fascias, with a deeper spoiler and splitter up front and GR badging on the grille. It'll be finished off with a currently fashionable faux diffuser at the rear, with a single big-bore exhaust outlet on either side.
In the GR Yaris, the G16E-GTS makes 257 hp at 6,500 rpm, and 265 lb-ft of torque is available from 3,000 rpm to 4,600 rpm. It has oil jets to cool the pistons, large exhaust valves, and a single-scroll turbocharger integrated into the exhaust manifold whose turbine spins on ball-bearings to reduce lag.

Toyota sources have confirmed the engine will be tweaked to deliver more power and torque in the GR Corolla, and there's a lot of headroom for upping its output, even in road-legal tune. In Yaris WRC specification the G16-GTS would have comfortably pumped out 375 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque with the mandatory 1.4-inch airflow restrictor in place. (The car never competed because of the disruption to the championship caused by Covid.)
The GR Corolla will retain the standard car's MacPherson strut front suspension, albeit with strengthened components and different geometry, and will likely use a version of the bespoke multi-link setup from the GR Yaris at the rear—easily done because while the front half of the GR Yaris chassis is basically the TNGA-B platform from the regular Yaris, the rear section has been adapted from the TNGA-C platform that underpins the Corolla.
The GR Corolla's all-wheel-drive system will use the simple and light performance-oriented hardware from the GR Yaris. The first new AWD system developed by Toyota in more than 20 years, it has a fast-response center coupling that can be set in three modes—Normal, which sends 60 percent of the torque to the front wheels; Sport, which sends 70 percent to the rear wheels; and Track, which splits the torque 50:50. A hypoid gear transfer case links it all to a conventional six-speed manual transmission.

So over 260hp, 6 speed only, AWD. The base hatchback weighs 3000lbs and costs $26k. If they keep this in the low 30s and the weight down it could be an absolute screamer. If it's $40k and 3400lbs then it'll be a bit let down

MunchE fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MetaJew posted:

MunchE posted:

Well, the Yaris in general is no longer sold in the US so they'd need to do all of the legalization for that model just to get this sporty version. And the US spent a decade telling Toyota they didn't want Yarises or any other small cars

What MunchE said, it costs a lot of money to federalize a new car for sale in the US, usually far more than profits of a low production run special car like the GR Yaris would bring in, especially with the base model no longer being sold here to due the fact that the average American hates small cars. Also I think even if we did have the base Yaris here still, it would also require additional federalization processes due to the changes made in the body to lower the roof, etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the only reason the zf is in the supra is because it's a bmw platform and assembled in a factory in austria

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MetaJew posted:

There’s a ratio of weight/passengers/vehicle “class” to MPG that must be observed, and a tiny compact car that gets “medium car” MPG is a no-no.

Toyota would need to either make it a more fuel efficient small car or a larger car/truck

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
The Aussies have taken this motor and chassis to the extremes already and are continuing to push it. I LOVE that the first major power mod for these guys was a Motec ECU and a tune from a pro. I highly recommend the entire series, these guys seem like fun and they use an excellent tuner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V09Bd5vfmy4

The motor will be legendary and this car is literally the only thing I am interested in IRT new cars right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Can you actually buy one though? The Toyota NZ website basically says 'lol no, but give us your email address and we'll try and sell you a Fortuner or something'

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

dissss posted:

Can you actually buy one though? The Toyota NZ website basically says 'lol no, but give us your email address and we'll try and sell you a Fortuner or something'

As an American I cannot speak for that but I plan on pestering the dealers in my area about ordering a GR Corolla as soon as we hear more concrete evidence it's coming here with the same motor and AWD system!

FWIW I have been following the GR Yaris since it was first announced and I wish SO VERY MUCH we could get a new car like that here in the land of regulations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the next step “up” from a GTI/R? I can get nearly what I paid for my 17 for trade in and something a touch larger would be nice now that the kid is here. What’s that sporty Audi sedan folks like?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Warbird posted:

What’s the next step “up” from a GTI/R? I can get nearly what I paid for my 17 for trade in and something a touch larger would be nice now that the kid is here. What’s that sporty Audi sedan folks like?

The RS6 Avant lol.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rolo posted:

The RS6 Avant lol.

I mean, yeah lol but probably you want the S3

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
S3 pricewise seems about the same as a Golf R, at least for me shopping for slightly used ones the past few months. I'd be interested to know how they compare, both from a fun/sporty standpoint and a luxury/comfort one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a lowly GTI guy that hasn't driven either an R or S3, but from what I gather they are drat close on the fun/sporty side. You're basically trading the utility of a hatch for some extra comfort/luxury in the sedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 2022 S3 yellow is so good looking to me. Give me more yellow cars, hatchback god!