Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

@ Jedit

Just got this in the mail today, will report back when I finish it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Drunkboxer posted:

I was so bored by that movie I decided to try to die without seeing another batman or Nolan movie. So far so good.

I didn't make the conscious decision to avoid Nolan since, but that was also the last Nolan I ever saw.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

@ Jedit

Are we doing a Sisterhood of the Traveling I Always Find You?

moths posted:

I didn't make the conscious decision to avoid Nolan since, but that was also the last Nolan I ever saw.

I also hadn't made a concentrated effort, but yeah, I haven't seen a Nolan since TDK, or any of the DC movies with Batman outside of the original Suicide Squad. I'm pretty excited for Battinson, though. It's seemingly the Batman movie I've wanted for decades.

Nolan's just not my guy. Doesn't do much for me outside of The Prestige.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 30, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nolan has kind of been going down slowly but not as much to notice until Tenet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tenet was like me waking back up from a deep slumber that Interstellar and Dunkirk put me into. Tenet is messy, but drat if he didnt actually swing for something and accidentally made the best video game adaptation of a game that doesnt exist ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nicolas Cage will be playing Dracula in a new film called Renfield. Sounds pretty fun.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/nicolas-cage-dracula-movie-universal-renfield-1235055003/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Nicolas Cage will be playing Dracula in a new film called Renfield. Sounds pretty fun.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/nicolas-cage-dracula-movie-universal-renfield-1235055003/

Rob Zombie doing the Munsters. Cage playing Dracula. We are coming up on a blessed era of horror.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

It won’t (can’t) top Vampire’s Kiss but that does sound good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Rob Zombie doing the Munsters. Cage playing Dracula. We are coming up on a blessed era of horror.

I keep saying what we need is a return to goofy, Abbot and Costello Meets style horror. Blessed era indeed.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

moths posted:

Pieces has my favorite crime-scene etiquette, where someone asks "could she have been chopped up with something like this?" as he picks up a bloody chainsaw.

I laughed so hard at that, my God that film was a trip. I might have to watch it again

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The glass panel scene at the beginning seems important...it's not! The dude who sleeps with every girl hangs dong. His nerdy buddy also has some great lines, and then never returns.

In general, the script maintains a bizarre tone.

Tennis Coach posted:

"BASTARD. BAAAAASTAAARD. BASTAAARD."

In short, a total delight!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Abbott Fucks Costello

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Abbott Fucks Costello

I see you found my Archive Of Our Own account.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29707&page=

HELLLL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

that boxart is sick

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

dorium posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29707&page=

HELLLL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

that boxart is sick

Oh, loving-A!!!

That is an AWESOME flick, too! Good news.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Diving board scene in glorious HD finally.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, is that the one where a pet gator gets flushed down the toilet and somehow grows into a giant Jaws-like monster? I have vague memories of something like that and a disconnected image of an alligator bursting up through the surface of the street and flipping over a cop car or something...

vvv Hell yeah, that was a TV movie staple for me when I was little :allears:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 1, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, you got it. Alligator rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What a fantastic finale to Chucky. I’m so glad the show is a hit. It’s fantastic lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What they did to Nica was kind of hosed up. We’ll see where it goes. Def disturbing. But not sure how I feel about it story wise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

@ Jedit

Nice! Bear with it if it seems a little slow at first - most Lindqvist books are slow burners.

E: the last book in the loose trilogy, I Am The Tiger, came out three weeks ago. That's my reading sorted for a bit.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 1, 2021

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

CelticPredator posted:

What a fantastic finale to Chucky. I’m so glad the show is a hit. It’s fantastic lmao.

It was great, though getting stabbed in the rear end=dying instantly strained disbelief even in the Child's Play universe. Also, I guess Lexy's mom survived but the continuity's real fucky there. She gets kneed in the face by a random moviegoer and then disappears from all the aisle shots afterwards and I don't think she's ever seen again. She's left off the kill count so I guess she's the one living parent the entire show.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Scissorfighter posted:

It was great, though getting stabbed in the rear end=dying instantly strained disbelief even in the Child's Play universe. Also, I guess Lexy's mom survived but the continuity's real fucky there. She gets kneed in the face by a random moviegoer and then disappears from all the aisle shots afterwards and I don't think she's ever seen again. She's left off the kill count so I guess she's the one living parent the entire show.

I loved/hated that Lexy's dad not only dies to an rear end stabbing, but also does that thing you only see in movies where he spits up blood from a wound that shouldn't make him bleed out of his mouth. As for future seasons, it looks like it's going to probably be a whole new cast and new setting next season with the "truck full of Chuckys" setup. And the kids have no reason to believe that Chucky's still a problem.

I got my Julien's catalog in the mail already, they do not gently caress around. Got here Fedex from overseas in two days, in its own bespoke fancy box that looks like a box of imported wine. Hardbound, thick pages, and they threw in two other catalogs for upcoming auctions as if I'm a rich collector of fine Hollywood items instead of a poor person who wanted a neat book.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1336330449065443334

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

STAC Goat posted:

The last act is completely bonkers and just abandons the entire found footage premise in anything but a symbolic gesture. I feel like how you feel about the movie rests entirely on how you feel about that. The first two thirds is a fun found footage film. The last act is an insane schlock fest. If you can go with it its fun, but if the shift bugs you the film is very dumb.

Like Malignant had the same "go insane in the last act" thing but it was much more tonally consistent. Next of Kin just becomes another movie and neither movie have anything to do with Paranormal Activity. Which is fine...but weird.

I watched The Medium right before Next of Kin (it really shouldn't be called Paranormal Activity tbh) and that movie has the market cornered on completely bonkers last acts. Next of Kin felt like a wet fart in comparison.

I didn't hate the movie but it also didn't do a lot for me either. The setting was cool but ultimately wasted. The cast were fairly likeable too. I feel like there was a much better movie in there than what we got.

The ending also precludes any sort of realistic sequel structure unless they want to do Found Footage about the literal apocalypse, which I admit would be pretty baller if they could pull it off. Realistically they'll just forget how it ended and make more anyway.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 1, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be entirely fine if they just did stand alone spooky found footage stories under the Paranormal Activity banner. The lore s dumb anyway and has been stretched as far as it can. So fine just tell a bunch of stories about people recording evidence of spooky stuff that loosely links together thematically as demon/witch stuff or something.

But Next of Kin's just weird because it didn't even really want to be a found footage film or even kind of vaguely wave at PA. So like, I get it. You pulled me into a random movie on a brand name. But it was a bit odd.

And like consider the old debate about Halloween III. PA is no Halloween or Michael Myers. And still it just feels a little annoying with the bait and switch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'd be entirely fine if they just did stand alone spooky found footage stories under the Paranormal Activity banner. The lore s dumb anyway and has been stretched as far as it can. So fine just tell a bunch of stories about people recording evidence of spooky stuff that loosely links together thematically as demon/witch stuff or something.

But Next of Kin's just weird because it didn't even really want to be a found footage film or even kind of vaguely wave at PA. So like, I get it. You pulled me into a random movie on a brand name. But it was a bit odd.

And like consider the old debate about Halloween III. PA is no Halloween or Michael Myers. And still it just feels a little annoying with the bait and switch.

I feel like it's more similar to Hellraiser, except with different demons and deities for each entry. Which is fine and cool with me. I'm cool with PA being a banner for FF with that focus. It's not a series I hold in high regard, despite the first one being a perfect movie for it's time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like it's more similar to Hellraiser, except with different demons and deities for each entry. Which is fine and cool with me. I'm cool with PA being a banner for FF with that focus. It's not a series I hold in high regard, despite the first one being a perfect movie for it's time.

My sister still refuses to sleep with a foot sticking out from the covers either because of, or reinforced by, that 3rd act train to spooktown :ghost:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Hellraiser is a more apt comparison although Next of Kin is a better movie than most any Hellraiser sequel and the Paranormal Activity feels even more slapped on than Pinhead does in most of those sequels.

And yeah, OG Paranormal Activity still works. I watched it the last two Octobers and no complaints.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is the Brood one of the fun Croenenberg movies, or is it a total bummer like Dead Ringers?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Gripweed posted:

Is the Brood one of the fun Croenenberg movies, or is it a total bummer like Dead Ringers?

Depends how fun you find very Canadian horror films from the 70s about divorce.

This is an endorsement of the film.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gripweed posted:

i think the answer to this question is "yes"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have this frozen image in my mind of Samantha Eggar chewing open (I think) the… eggsack, or external womb? that was growing out of her, and pulling out one of those little monstrosities. I saw it when I was like eleven or twelve, haven’t seen it since and I think it was the most disgusted I’ve ever felt seeing a movie scene.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the first PA worked because of its "authenticity", it felt like a feature length film version of those YouTube videos that show a "real" ghost. That verisimilitude inevitably conflicts with franchise filmmaking and deep lore though so the continuity sequels naturally very quickly lost that appeal. The Ghost Dimension was really annoying in how much it undermined the fire conceit. I do want to watch this new one, though have no idea how to find it in the UK. I do think in this new streaming paradigm some of these films are just gonna drop off the edge of the earth.

Alligator is incredible. It has a cheeky reference to The Third Man in it, and for whatever reason I find Alligator tipping its hat to that film very charming.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Karloff posted:

I think the first PA worked because of its "authenticity", it felt like a feature length film version of those YouTube videos that show a "real" ghost.

Yeah I was 9 years old when the first PA came out and I remember hearing rumors at school that it was real ghost footage and the scariest movie ever and then i saw the ads on tv and just those little trailers TERRIFIED me holy poo poo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I was 9 years old when the first PA came out and I remember hearing rumors at school that it was real ghost footage and the scariest movie ever and then i saw the ads on tv and just those little trailers TERRIFIED me holy poo poo

You were twelve years old when you started posting here?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
paranormal activity's rolling limited release where it was playing in a different city each weekend helped a lot, 100% of the audience was there to be scared and nobody made a sound for the entire movie when I saw it. except the collective groan of anticipation every time it transitioned to night time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

New Dexter is pretty good but they really dropped the ball on not recreating the opening credits

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Stink Billyums posted:

paranormal activity's rolling limited release where it was playing in a different city each weekend helped a lot, 100% of the audience was there to be scared and nobody made a sound for the entire movie when I saw it. except the collective groan of anticipation every time it transitioned to night time.

That campaign happened just as I was taking a persuasive communications class and I used it as the basis of a term paper that I got a really good grade on. So thanks, Paramount Pictures marketing department!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I got so scared I smoked myself sick on camel crushes after. I went with three friends, one of them berated the rest of us for the smallest things all night because he WASNT SCARED OK?

he was scared lol