Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There are plenty of fans that will deal with losing seasons, if they have hope for the future but guess what's true about the Texans

Had I the opportunity I'd sure as hell drive to Houston and get an $8 seat just cause I've never seen an NFL game in person, but if I lived in town and had already been I might be like, ehhhhh is that how I wanna spend a quarter of my waking hours on a Sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
so does that mean texans games are getting locally blacked out? Not that many people in Houston seem to care.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The NFL suspended blackouts in 2015 for a year and has suspended them for another year every year since then, so no, but they sure as gently caress would be otherwise

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I would argue that if Watson were playing there would be more fans there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

sharknado slashfic posted:

This is absolutely correct

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I've been to three Chiefs at Texans games at NRG, and at every one the lots were full of tailgaters hours before the game. That's looking real bad for the Texans.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm assuming if Watson was balling out & the Texans were winning, the fans would care less about the civil suits he's going through.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
That lot is always full of RVs and big customized tents and I have never seen it with room to spare no matter how hard the team sucked.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm assuming if Watson was balling out & the Texans were winning, the fans would care less about the civil suits he's going through.

Fans forget pretty quickly about quite a lot when their team is winning.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
That’s just the people of Texas being responsible and not congregating in large groups during COVID.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

That’s just the people of Texas dying in large groups during COVID.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Comrayn posted:

That lot is always full of RVs and big customized tents and I have never seen it with room to spare no matter how hard the team sucked.

If you spent tens of thousands of dollars on your tailgating setup you're going to use it.

Bet they probably don't even go into the stadium when the team is this bad.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well certainly not nowadays when you can watch it on a TV on your RV with your grill and sausages and beers and whatnot

I'm a much bigger football than basketball fan and I've still watched more minutes of the Rockets this year (a team which, until a very recent winning streak, had fewer wins than the Texans!) because the Rockets at least have a front office that does not appear to contain Basketball Rasputin. Meanwhile the Texans are poo poo and in theory doing the correct thing (testing out their young QB, signing people to one year deals and seeing who might merit a longer one, getting good draft position) but I have zero confidence that it will turn into anything good down the line specifically because of the people in the front office.

Basically the Rockets remind me of the early 2010s Astros and the Texans remind me of the <insert any era here> Lions.

e: I said any era Lions but it'd be way more accurate to say the Matt Millen Lions

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm a much bigger football than basketball fan and I've still watched more minutes of the Rockets this year (a team which, until a very recent winning streak, had fewer wins than the Texans!) because the Rockets at least have a front office that does not appear to contain Basketball Rasputin.
Yeah, the Rockets got rid of Daryl Morey. :v:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If you spent tens of thousands of dollars on your tailgating setup you're going to use it.

Bet they probably don't even go into the stadium when the team is this bad.

Right and there’s the video of the empty lot. This is the point my dude.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, the Rockets got rid of Daryl Morey. :v:

If Easterby's Texans get halfway as close to a title as Morey's Rockets did it will be a loving miracle

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

To be fair I wouldn't want to watch Jets v. Texans either :v:

Like I don't get what the plan is with Watson, he's doing nothing, costing the team cap space, and at this point even revenue. There is no plan here and it's inexcusable to have him just... around.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 1, 2021

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bellmaker posted:

Like I don't get what the plan is with Watson, he's doing nothing, costing the team cap space, and at this point even revenue. There is no plan here and it's inexcusable to have him just... around.

Texans believe they will get more in trade in the offseason if Watson can resolve most/all of his lawsuits by then.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its to try to get any value at all out of him once the cases resolve one way or the other

If he gets convicted of something you just release him, but not before then, and until something clarifies, no one's gonna give us anything for him, so it makes the most business sense to just bench him

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bellmaker posted:

To be fair I wouldn't want to watch Jets v. Texans either :v:

The idea is that he's a tremendously valuable asset that they'll likely still be able to get a big return on if they wait long enough. With him off the field and basically out of sight, there's essentially zero PR cost in keeping him until that point, and the cap hit doesn't matter at this point in the season, with this team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

If Easterby's Texans get halfway as close to a title as Morey's Rockets did it will be a loving miracle

Morey's Rockets were a blown CP3 hammy away from a title and had the bad luck of peaking when the Warriors were maybe the best team in history for a five year span, that's a far cry from anything the Texans have ever done

The Texans had a single year in their entire history where they were maybe the favorite (I still think they win one if Schaub doesn't break his foot :colbert: )

They've been poorly run for their entire existence

e: correction: the Texans have been poorly run for their entire existence yet despite that have managed to take a significant nosedive from how they were run when Bob McNair was alive which is impressive in a way

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 1, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Schaub was run out of town by a stupid fanbase so I think Houston deserves 1000 years of torment

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

schaubstare.gif is still the best thing that has ever come out of this poverty franchise

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wasn't Schaub the guy that introduced the wider NFL world to the fencing response when he was sacked like 3 times in a row and had it every time on national TV?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I mean from reports the texans had 3 first round picks lined up for Watson but weren't able to garuntee the lawsuits would be sorted and depending on the source, actually pushed for more picks and players as part of the deal. He might be something of a distraction but if he can garner that kind of interest WITH this kind of issue hanging over his head, you'd be dumb to get rid of him.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Also I'm gonna be honest here I don't think attendance at NRG is down because their previous franchise QB turned out to be a rapist. These are Texans we're talking about here, guys

Either way though I still think they would've been wise to just take whatever deal they COULD get, sounds like a couple firsts at least, and wash their hands of it. It would definitely be the moral choice.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

Also I'm gonna be honest here I don't think attendance at NRG is down because their previous franchise QB turned out to be a rapist. These are Texans we're talking about here, guys

Either way though I still think they would've been wise to just take whatever deal they COULD get, sounds like a couple firsts at least, and wash their hands of it. It would definitely be the moral choice.

The whole 3 first and 3 seconds and players is going to be a non starter for most teams.

I would think though that some of the teams with dual firsts next year would probably be more willing to give away 3 firsts and a 2nd with some kind of player though. Someone like the Eagles could quite easily package 2 firsts, next years first and a player or two.

I think if Carolina gave away 6 picks and CMC I'd want to shoot myself.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh no you'd lose three games of cmc a season

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I mean from reports the texans had 3 first round picks lined up for Watson but weren't able to garuntee the lawsuits would be sorted and depending on the source, actually pushed for more picks and players as part of the deal. He might be something of a distraction but if he can garner that kind of interest WITH this kind of issue hanging over his head, you'd be dumb to get rid of him.

The reports are even funnier. Dolphins and Texans had a deal. It was a discounted deal (the 3 first rounders instead of the 5 the Texans were looking for) because of the lawsuits against Watson. The Dolphins then started talking to Watson about settling some of the lawsuits, and when the Texans heard about it they raised their price back up to 5 first rounders at the very least.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

syzpid posted:

The reports are even funnier. Dolphins and Texans had a deal. It was a discounted deal (the 3 first rounders instead of the 5 the Texans were looking for) because of the lawsuits against Watson. The Dolphins then started talking to Watson about settling some of the lawsuits, and when the Texans heard about it they raised their price back up to 5 first rounders at the very least.

this whole story is almost too stupid and slimy to believe but I guess I do believe it. maybe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Play posted:

this whole story is almost too stupid and slimy to believe but I guess I do believe it. maybe

Miami's owner reached out to the plaintiffs' attorney to ask about potential settlements. It was that discussion that prompted the Texans to change the asking price again.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wasn't Schaub the guy that introduced the wider NFL world to the fencing response when he was sacked like 3 times in a row and had it every time on national TV?

Jfc I hope not and I’d be surprised he isn’t dead if that were true.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Miami's owner reached out to the plaintiffs' attorney to ask about potential settlements. It was that discussion that prompted the Texans to change the asking price again.

which is dumb as hell. you have a qb who both has these allegations hanging over him and has stated his refusal to ever play for you again

three firsts was an absolute gift

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

This has since been heavily refuted in both Miami and Houston circles. So who the hell knows.

A lot of this stuff was apparently Watsons agent pushing aggressively.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

oh no you'd lose three games of cmc a season

The way I choose to see the world CMC is an anomaly and will come back after this year and never miss another game on an iron man like streak of 170 games over the next ten years while he breaks all the records.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Texans demand 3 1sts & 3 2nds & a couple players for Watson.

The monkey paw curls.

Say hello to your new Los Angeles Rams QB! :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rams don't have any firsts or seconds for awhile afaik

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

The Rams don't have any firsts or seconds for awhile afaik

:thejoke:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'm not sure this applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Rams allegedly offered the Texans a similar deal they gave for Stafford but the Texans wanted more first rounders. Everything that has come out since about the Stafford trade though suggests that initial report was a lie though.