Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hate that they made Krillin an absolute joke character in every single movie, even the ones where power levels were more on par and he could have actually made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Leaf posted:

I hate that they made Krillin an absolute joke character in every single movie, even the ones where power levels were more on par and he could have actually made a difference.

The movies are in large part to blame for Krillin's reputation as an absolute joke. The series may not be great to him, but he's still given several competent moments, far more than Tenshinhan gets.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Him running away from a gun terrified is probably the worst bit in World's Strongest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still find it weird that Dragon Ball Super had a whole episode devoted to Krillin being too afraid to fight ghosts from his past when not only did he get up and keep fighting Frieza after being impaled in the gut by his horn, but Toei also added in a filler scene of him intentionally sacrificing himself to stop Super Buu from killing his wife and kid. Which Super even flashes back to!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Becoming a cop taught him cowardice.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Him running away from a gun terrified is probably the worst bit in World's Strongest.

To be fair I would also run from a gun

Caros
May 14, 2008

Namtab posted:

To be fair I would also run from a gun

Are you immune to gunfire?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Caros posted:

Are you immune to gunfire?

Is krillin? Genuine question

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Namtab posted:

No, he's not Saiyan. He has to put his ki up to actively block things.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think that’s why he’s scared of guns

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

he got riddled with (gag)bullets as a child & did fine

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the gag of Piccolo showing up out of nowhere in every movie to save Gohan, only for Broly: Second Coming to have Krillin show up in Piccolo's outfit during that particular instance because he wanted screen time. :allears:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Darko posted:

No, he's not Saiyan. He has to put his ki up to actively block things.

looks at goku getting shot in super

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You can get shot if it is important to the story

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Namtab posted:

He can block them with ki but not naturally.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I still find it weird that Dragon Ball Super had a whole episode devoted to Krillin being too afraid to fight ghosts from his past when not only did he get up and keep fighting Frieza after being impaled in the gut by his horn, but Toei also added in a filler scene of him intentionally sacrificing himself to stop Super Buu from killing his wife and kid. Which Super even flashes back to!

I dunno, it may have just been trauma. I mean, the poor short guy has, after all, gone through a lot through dragon ball. He has fought enemies that are so much more powerful than him that it is impressive he wasn't splattered across the planet with a single punch.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Namtab posted:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Aren't they all faster than bullets at this point? Or is that just the Saiyans?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yes they have always been faster than bullets, all of them

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A normal human has a top end power level of 5, I know they stopped with the numbers (for good reasons) but even Yamcha is likely in the millions at this point.
Goku doesn't want to know his Power Level cause that would require to learn numbers.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 2, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Yamcha is probably less than like 2,000, if we were really to dig into it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yamcha is probably less than like 2,000, if we were really to dig into it

yamcha was still active through the first part of the androids so absolutely not

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They made this extremely clear way back in the first tournament.

Regular people, regular martial artists, even very good regular martial artists like Satan and the Bruce Lee guy, flat out do not and cannot compare to what even Kid Krillin could do.

Young Yamcha, who was arguably already low key super human as far as what he could do, was blown off the stage by Roshi without any effort. The gulf between where any of the named cast are now VS normal people is hilarious

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Yamcha was around 1500 during the Saiyan saga from what a quick google of official guides tell me.

In the end the numbers don't matter, Pan can wreck 99% of the world effortless.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

wasn't buu saga yamcha loving up the otherworld competitors that were beating the poo poo out of post cell saga ssj2 goku

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

krillin was at 10k-13k during namek and yamcha actually trained in the 3 year gap so it's not like he would stay at 1500

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fereydun posted:

wasn't buu saga yamcha loving up the otherworld competitors that were beating the poo poo out of post cell saga ssj2 goku

NOT canon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Aurora posted:

NOT canon.

Pikon is canon and my friend.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

put him in the new movie

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Who the gently caress is talking poo poo about Pikkon

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

New Leaf posted:

It was a really weird thing Toei movies used to do in the 80s-90s in which they'd grab one single instance of a character having a certain behaviour, and then elevate and exagerate it as if it was part of their established personality and behaviour for all their films.

Saint Seiya's Andromeda Shun got very infamously hit with this, losing every single fight in every Toei movie and always being rescued by his brother at the last second, which is something that never actually happened in the story proper. In the actual manga/anime every instance in which Ikki rescued Shun he also rescued the other characters (Shun,Shiryu and Seiya from Virgo Shaka, and then Shun, Seiya and Hyoga from Lyumnades) since Ikki filled the role of Sixth Power Ranger.

This lead to many people, specially in latin america where Saint Seiya was very popular, to believe that Shun was really weak and not worthy of being a succesor to the Virgo Saint, when in fact Shun was actually the strongest but didn't like fighting so he always held back.

In Dragon Ball movies, aside from Krillin being a joke, you also had Piccolo always saving Kid Gohan and getting beaten up for it, and Vegeta having a grandiose entrance midway through a fight only to get absolutely wrecked 10 seconds later.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 2, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurora posted:

yamcha was still active through the first part of the androids so absolutely not

actively doing not-poo poo. that joker was playing baseball and cheating on Bulma

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

actively doing not-poo poo. that joker was playing baseball and cheating on Bulma

ignoring the power level evidence that has been stated in the show ftl 😔

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurora posted:

ignoring the power level evidence that has been stated in the show ftl 😔

what did he do that demonstrated he had grown significantly stronger since getting blown up! showing up to get fisted by Gero doesn't prove anything!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what did he do that demonstrated he had grown significantly stronger since getting blown up! showing up to get fisted by Gero doesn't prove anything!

krillin and yamcha train with master roshi for 3 years. if krillin is at least 10k according to ginyu force scouters beforehand yamcha isn't going to be stuck at his saiyan saga level while training with someone stronger with him for 3 loving years lol.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yamcha trained with King Kai, didn't he? I don't remember how long he was dead but that would probably be a pretty big boost.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurora posted:

krillin and yamcha train with master roshi for 3 years. if krillin is at least 10k according to ginyu force scouters beforehand yamcha isn't going to be stuck at his saiyan saga level while training with someone stronger with him for 3 loving years lol.

Krillin got Guru'd and therefore is cheating

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Staltran posted:

Yamcha trained with King Kai, didn't he? I don't remember how long he was dead but that would probably be a pretty big boost.

this is also correct, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Aurora posted:

You're getting your timeline mixed up. Krillin and Yamcha trained with Master Roshi 5 years before Raditz showed up. During the year gap before Vegeta and Nappa arrived, he trained on the Lookout, the results of which was that Krillin got to around 1K or so.

Krillin's 10K was after he got his potential unlocked by Super Kami Guru, something that Yamcha never got. He did train with King Kai, but that was pretty brief.

With the three years before the Cyborgs, I think it's safe to say he could probably get up to 10K or so, but that's laughable at that point in the series.