Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

A Moose posted:

[...]
It's not that big a deal, unless it is and you have a terrible boss in which case you should probably find a better job anyway.

Uhh...what's a meaner emote than goonsay? I need it here for this

e: snipe tax of dog faces

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
In my opinion everyone involved in the weird natural disaster landlord situation should simply decide to stop talking to one another and only communicate via carrier pigeon.

In all seriousness in my opinion it wouldn't be a huge ask of the landlord to find a handyman, have them come by and replace a single fuse, and just be done with the situation rather than everyone bitching at each other over whether or not it's the landlord's job to make sure poo poo isn't broken (it is the landlord's job to make sure poo poo isn't broken and it's weird they wouldn't even entertain the idea of the tenant paying someone to fix it and just mailing them the key to the new lock because what the gently caress).

Anyway, enjoy this because lord knows I did!

Should I (23f) go through with having my partner’s (34m) child and (maybe) starting a very unconventional kind of family?

quote:

Tl;dr my partner of a few months and I are pregnant and he sometimes mentions incorporating me into a sister wife situation in a cult he is hoping to start and others making me believe I am his one and only and that he would move anywhere with me to start our family together.

My partner and I currently live on a piece of property in the country together. We get along well a lot of the time and I enjoy his company, however, I am recently pregnant, and I have to be more realistic about the red flags within our relationship that could very well effect the well being of our child. We have a good deal of land to use as we wish, and he wants to bring groups of friends and family to live intentionally together. Yes, a cult… Lol. Well, there have been successful intentional communities throughout history, and I do believe that with the right people it could be awesome. I would happily live in an intentional community, my problem is that I don’t think my partner has any interest in me as his counterpart but more as the mother of his successor, and only wants to commit to me in the interest of our child.

When he found out I was pregnant, he swore we would get married and I would have the family I have always wanted, while just the day before, he told me he was not in love with me and did not want to be “emotionally tethered” to me anymore. Since then, he has sworn we are monogamous and would be happy to leave the property and start a life closer to our families and the city, but also says strange things like “it will be your (my) choice whether or not I want to share my husband (him) with anyone else” and that he doesn’t want to be the emotional pillars for one another as it could get in the way of his vision for the cult.

I am honestly happy to be pregnant but scared current circumstances will not be conducive to the wellbeing of my child. My partner could be worse, he is smart, dependable, and generally easy to get along with, but I have no idea if these are the right circumstances to raise a child under. I hate that he lies to me and that I genuinely have no idea whether we will be committed or not once more people are here. Let’s say we are not monogamous and we both develop other partnerships ethically. Many parents in monogamous partnerships end up failing their children, but who knows maybe a throuple or open relationship could be more ideal. I also know his romantic love for me does not go beyond the fact that I am carrying his child and I don’t even know that I have a problem with that. Let’s say we are in loveless relationship where we are simply there to be the best of parents, with no other personal attachments to each other. Is that such a bad thing? I can’t decide if I am overcoming the shortcomings of romantic monogamous love that we practice in the west, or if I am just so weird and broken that I am open to being the sister wife of a sodomite megalomaniac.

I have an abortion scheduled Monday which I have not told him about yet and I am torn on my decision. Is this a worthy basis for giving up my baby? Will any relationship with this man truly satisfy me or provide better circumstances for raising a child? Thank u for reading this absolute mess about my life.

To maladapt animal farm, "Two parents good, 3 or more parents better"

Also this is not only feels fake I get the vague vibe that it's also one handed for some reason.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Non ironically gently caress your natural disaster. Landlord is loving 5 hours away in the best circumstances and won't let a local locksmith/electrician deal with it. gently caress that poo poo

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A Moose posted:

From the landlord story, missing a few days of work is not a big deal, you just call your boss and say "ive been natural disastered and can't work for a couple days". It might suck to use some PTO or whatever, or maybe there's a temporary leave of absence you can use because a natural disaster hit? It's not that big a deal, unless it is and you have a terrible boss in which case you should probably find a better job anyway.

Not having a functioning room in a home should mean they can just call their landlord and say "we're not paying rent for this portion of the house", right? It might suck to lose some rental income or whatever, but it's not that big of a deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Uncle ShortyB posted:

it's weird they wouldn't even entertain the idea of the tenant paying someone to fix it and just mailing them the key to the new lock because what the gently caress

Lots of landlords dehumanize their tenants into cheap thieves, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't want OP in their own unit.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, the outlets in the room she wanted to use as a dedicated office space don't work, running extension cords in inconvenient, wifi is spotty in the room due to the inability to set up an extender due to lack of outlets. Yeah, the situation sucks and the landlord is a turd, but uh, just set up your computer in a different room temporarily? They're making it more difficult than it has to be.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GI_Clutch posted:

They're making it more difficult than it has to be.

So is just about every poster in this thread

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Just break into the goddamn apartment and change the fuse ffs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some of yall haven't read Eviction and it shows.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Once again amazed that people who can barely stand a direct ray of sunshine colonized so much of the world. 80 degrees is a normal fuckin' day where I am and it's not that far south, trying to imagine UK folks at the equator and just loling

Just think how history would change if we'd shot at their shade umbrellas instead.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had no idea at all. That's dreadful. Actually, thank you for sharing your stress, because otherwise I wouldn't have known about this catastrophe. Stay safe.
Yeah same. This isn't being reported anywhere.

MarcusSA posted:

They offered to pay for extension cords as a temporary fix. So that absolutely takes care of the cannot do your job issue.

They aren’t saying it won’t ever get fixed they are saying it can’t get fixed right this second and offered things to temporarily fix the issue.
Lol no it doesn't, from personal experience I can tell you having a bunch of extension cords running through your home is a massive pain. If they have to cross a thoroughfare at all they've either got a tripping hazard or they'll have to do a bunch of stuff their landlord will get very mad at them for. Nevermind that they're now running an extra room's worth of stuff off a circuit in a house that we already know has hosed up wiring. It's like fixing the shower by offering to pay for a hosepipe from the kitchen sink.

The tenants are going to be way more inconvenienced by this than the landlord would be by going the locksmith/post a key route. And as was said before if the landlord lives 4 - 5 hours away not having someone nearby with a master key is an absolute fuckup on their part.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lidnsya posted:

If it was that much of a problem, maybe they should have brought it up before the whole natural disaster thing instead of during.
They did! Maybe the landlord should have fixed stuff before the whole natural disaster thing instead of during.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can't believe how many people are rushing to make excuses for landlords. The class that thinks property ownership should always be a 100% profitable endeavor will make any excuse to not pay a pittance for home repairs and maintenance. The landlord's personal problems have no impact on their requirement to provide suitable housing for their tenants.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my landlord turned off the heat in my apartment yesterday without my knowledge. he entered my apartment in the middle of the day to do this, without telling me. I'm in new York and it's below freezing at night time. I called him out on it and he told me that "oil is expensive." he owns three cars, a truck, and two houses.

this guy is a clown is what I'm saying

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I think goons might enjoy landlord derails even more than food derails.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Anyway, enjoy this because lord knows I did!

Should I (23f) go through with having my partner’s (34m) child and (maybe) starting a very unconventional kind of family?

To maladapt animal farm, "Two parents good, 3 or more parents better"

Also this is not only feels fake I get the vague vibe that it's also one handed for some reason.

Jesus, literally cut and run lady. Cut and run.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AITA for feeding my vegan landlord a sandwich with mayonnaise?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

AcidCat posted:

How much do you guys tip your landlords?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AcidCat posted:

AITA for laughing at my landlord who wanted me to serve vegan food and virgin mocktails at my (M60) wedding to my fiance (F24)?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 2, 2021

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for outing my ex as gay to get his mother off my back?

quote:

It’s a long and sucky story, but my (25F) soon to be ex (28M) is gay and hid that from me. I found out because I caught him cheating and he as much as admitted that he knew he wasn’t attracted to me that way, but he wanted kids and a “normal” life. I don’t care that he’s gay, but I will never forgive him for leading me on so he could use me to have kids, so it’s over, end of story.

The problem is that his family are fundamentalist nutjobs except for a few members and his mother is the interfering MIL from hell. Not being related to her anymore is another plus to leaving. His family doesn’t believe in divorce, so under the guise of picking up some paperwork and other items I had found that were my ex’s, she cornered me about how I’m being childish and marriage is about commitment, forgiveness, and working through problems, etc. It became apparent that my ex didn’t tell his family that he cheated, he told his mom that I was divorcing him because we weren’t having sex often enough for me. I tried to be patient and explained that he had cheated and that’s why. I wasn’t going to go into greater detail because I know how his parents are and it’s none of their business.

MIL’s advice, I kid you not, was that men are just that way and if I wanted to have sex more and for him not to stray that I should make myself more attractive to my husband and be a better wife. I lost the plot completely. It had been a sad and hard day already and that was the last straw. Here’s where I might be the AH: I told her that the only thing that would make me more attractive to my ex would be a sex change operation and that I hoped he and his boyfriend adopted her some grandchildren so she could finally shut the hell up about it. Not my finest moment, but she just hit the worst and rawest nerve she could have and I exploded.

It’s evidently turned into a huge family drama, he’s probably going to be disowned, and my ex called sobbing that I’ve ruined his life out of spite. I don’t really know how to feel about it. I do feel bad for him that his parents are such awful people and there were just no “good” outcomes for him, but I also feel like he made his own bed here, too.

Edit - a couple things from comments.

there is almost no chance of violence, his family are fundies but not violent ones, they’re more of the Mormon shunning type. One of his cousin came out and left the church and after the initial protests they all just stopped talking to him and basically treated him as if he were dead until he was ready to repent or whatever. They’re passive aggressive, repressed, and weird as all get out, but the chances of anyone physically hurting him are extremely low. He’s not financially dependent on them and has a more than decent job, so he can support himself easily if they kick him out.

He’s known he was gay since before he met me, so this wasn’t a new discovery or admission to himself. He has a boyfriend that he’s been dating since six months before we were married. I went through his computer after catching them in the act and kicking him out and found messenger logs and other evidence going back to before he started dating me. He literally set this up so he could have the nice Mormon family on the surface to keep his family happy. That’s it. He never loved me at all, I was just the first girl to express a sustained interest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evil Willow posted:

I'm fine with people defending themselves in situations where that results in outing someone, but this ex had no reason to out them. Sure the ex is a huge piece of poo poo but... just block the mother? Don't talk to the family?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I’m gonna go with NTA because of all of the other poo poo he put her through. That puts him into pretty solid AH territory and maybe even a bit of a sociopath.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Today's writing assignment is to find a way to out a person as gay while still being in the right.

Lots of suuuuper convenient details there.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
still lovely to out him as gay when, in walking away entirely from this dumpster fire of a family, you could unload entirely on the MIL to the point that she wouldn't want to seek contact again. just really go for her throat

like the "I should make myself more attractive to my husband and be a better wife" bit would be a good time to point out this is terrible advice that creates miserable repressed people like her and the last thing i would ever want for my life is to walk the same horrible path you did to end up in the pathetic state you're in etc etc

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’m gonna go with NTA because of all of the other poo poo he put her through. That puts him into pretty solid AH territory and maybe even a bit of a sociopath.

Yeah I'm not sure this is any different in principle to any other story in which someone lies about their spouse to their parents to make themselves look good and then the lie blows up in their face worse than if they had said nothing.

If you try and make someone a scapegoat for your own lovely behaviour they don't owe you anything when they decide they want to get themselves in the clear.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

He would probably do that to another woman after her as he doesn't seem like the type to pretend celibacy. She shouldn't have outed him though. There's not really a decent answer to this.

He should've had the spine to get away from his family and religion to live his truth. But that is incredibly difficult if it's a cult like mormonisn. I feel bad for everyone involved, it's a lovely situation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Serephina posted:

Today's writing assignment is to find a way to out a person as gay while still being in the right.

Lots of suuuuper convenient details there.

Yeah "Fundie life be like that" only explains so much. There's a part of me that wants to believe, but I can't reconcile a closeted gay dude inviting an ex he cheated on to piss on the third rail. Even the stupidest gay dudes I've known have a better sense for self-preservation than that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah "Fundie life be like that" only explains so much. There's a part of me that wants to believe, but I can't reconcile a closeted gay dude inviting an ex he cheated on to piss on the third rail. Even the stupidest gay dudes I've known have a better sense for self-preservation than that.

I mean yeah, but on the other hand the number of "bite the hand that feeds" stories that are basically suicidally stupid is also pretty vast.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

My hot take is since he didn't tell her she was a beard and lied to her their entire time together she wasn't wrong to out him. Especially after his excuse to his mom was "This prude isn't loving me enough."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

limp_cheese posted:

My hot take is since he didn't tell her she was a beard and lied to her their entire time together she wasn't wrong to out him. Especially after his excuse to his mom was "This prude isn't loving me enough."

Other way around - he was saying "She wants to have sex too much!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Heliotrope posted:

Other way around - he was saying "She wants to have sex too much!"

You are right. And here I thought my reading comprehension was good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A normal thing to tell your mother regardless of beard status

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I knew a woman who dated a dude who kept loving other guys behind her back. When she tried to politely break up with him and not discuss his gayness to protect him he still tried to drag her name through the mud and make her out to be a paycho vindictive crazy woman. Eventually, she gave up and just outed him for gay affairs because she was tired of getting harassed for ruining this poor innocent man's life and like, why is she shouldering all the suffering for a two time rear end in a top hat?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
OK yes I know I'm late and we've all moved on, but why did no one suggest the real solution to the hosed room problem? Find some homeless friends to squat in the landlord's unit (phrasing) and ask THEM to fix the fuse for you. This is a solution that benefits every person involved.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Outing someone is wrong and bad. Very lovely of the guy to use this woman and lie to her, but she had other comebacks to the lovely mom.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He was going to use her as a baby farm and was cheating on her the whole time.

That is beyond hosed up.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my neighbors their kids could not sled on my hill after they insisted on me not letting my dog outside while they're out there?

quote:

The house I recently moved into has a hill on the edge of the yard. I've talked to my neighbors a few times and they seemed like nice people.

A couple days ago we got our first real snowfall of the winter. My neighbors reached out to me and asked if I minded if their kids went sledding on the hill. They said that the previous owner of the house had let them use it but they wanted to check with me. I hardly use that part of the yard and have no need for it when it's covered with more than a foot of snow, so I said sure.

However, today they reached out again. They explained that they would like me to bring my dog inside while their kids are sledding because it makes them nervou . I told them that she was always tied up when she was outside and no danger to their kids, but they were welcome to keep their kids inside if they saw her out and that if their kids were sledding I would stay out with her.

They said that since the bottom of the hill was on their land I couldn't restrict their access to it and that I was endangering their kids by letting my dog be outside unsupervised with them. I repeated what I said, and added that if they wanted to meet my dog they could come over to meet her sometime.

They just got more upset I wouldn't bring her inside and ended up threatening to call animal control on me for having an “out of control dog”. For reference, she's a maybe 40 pound older mixed breed who could probably not forge her way through the snow to where their kids are sledding even if she wanted to. She just loves sitting out in the snow.

I was very upset at this point and told them they could forget about their kids sledding on the hill and that if they were going to make unreasonable demands they could not come on my property.

They tried backtracking but ended up getting upset at me again.

Now I'm wondering if I'm being the rear end in a top hat because I could just agree to their requests and bring her inside.

AITA?

Edit - since I keep getting asked this, my dog asks to go outside and is let in when she wants to come in, and I make sure she is safe while out there. She is not being mistreated.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hellblazer187 posted:

Outing someone is wrong and bad. Very lovely of the guy to use this woman and lie to her, but she had other comebacks to the lovely mom.

Eh it’s always bad but there’s always some extreme circumstances where it’s reasonable or at least understandable and this is it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my neighbors their kids could not sled on my hill after they insisted on me not letting my dog outside while they're out there?

Give me your hill is a new one lmao

E: where in North America has a foot of snow right now???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Eh it’s always bad but there’s always some extreme circumstances where it’s reasonable or at least understandable and this is it.

I would agree it's understandable.