Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah that was my understanding as well. Production stepped in.

Didn't we have proof of that in a story a lil while back?

Those first games of Romo were rad. Genuine excitement, calling out pre-snap reads, just doing the dang thing.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed but it's kind of glaringly obvious when you can listen to any announcing team and not a single one is going to have a different key to the game than "run the ball" and "get off the field on third downs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Those first games of Romo were rad. Genuine excitement, calling out pre-snap reads, just doing the dang thing.

And he was funny as hell. Did not seem to care about appearing professional or whatever.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I think a lot of it is this. It's the same reason quiz shows have 1000 softball questions and a few obscure ones. You appeal to a broader audience by doing the most vanilla poo poo possible because it confirms what they know. You're going to have more people nodding along at home if you say "Derrick Henry runs for lots of yards and he's the key today" than if you were to break down the subtilties of the play calling and schemes.

I really want a technical-focused broadcast. It would help me get better at playing Madden. Talk about trial by fire! Football is complex.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1466106381761748999?s=20

Views: hold on to the ballbaby an extra couple secondahours before delivering a decisive strike.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A big flaming stink posted:

this is an incredible analogy from FO:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2021/are-chargers-holding-herbert-back

denver is way more tenshinhan imo, krillin got lazy once he landed 18

Can't blame Krillin, marrying a hot killer android is hard to top

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
:sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1466172700863483910

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

DeimosRising posted:

this poo poo is wild to me because no one, literally no one, is watching for the announcers. replace them all and ratings would not budge.

but i heard al and chris are the best on tv?

Android Apocalypse posted:

News:

Views: hold on to the ballbaby an extra couple secondahours before delivering a decisive strike.

that baby will do its job for the team and not get born on gameday

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
people claiming collingsworth is 'fine' is violence and I must ask them to cease their lies immediately

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

W-what???

Why is mcadoo near the Cowboys

Go away

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I wonder if they told the players before making this decision. Wasn't he universally hated in the locker room?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

W-what???

Why is mcadoo near the Cowboys

Go away

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This is all setting up to be an absolutely humiliating performance by the saints.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some penalty stats:

Most penalized:

91 - Cowboys
89 - Raiders
88 - Panthers
85 - Browns
80 - Dolphins / Chargers / Eagles
79 - Bills
78 - Lions

Least:

43 - Bengals
52 - Rams
54 - Packers
57 - Colts
58 - Broncos

Most on opponents:

90 - Titans / Cowboys
87 - Falcons
82 - Dolphins / Patriots
81 - Chiefs / Panthers
79 - Steelers
77 - Bengals
76 - Bills

Least:

51 - Buccaneers
55 - Texans
58 - Rams / Seahawks
61 - Bears
62 - Packers / Jets
63 - Saints
64 - Cardinals / Lions

Net Yards:

278 - Bengals
207 - Falcons
195 - Colts
168 - Broncos / Steelers

-272 - Buccaneers
-199 - Browns
-180 - Texans
-152 - Vikings
-131 - 49ers

Pre-snap penalties

34 - Browns
33 - Jaguars / Panthers
32 - Buccaneers
31 - Dolphins / Raiders
30 - Lions / Falcons

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Honestly surprised the Bears aren’t in the top 5 for penalties. Seems like they are always shooting themselves in the foot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Honestly surprised the Bears aren’t in the top 5 for penalties. Seems like they are always shooting themselves in the foot.

Per game they're 18th in penalties against and 10th in net penalties and yards. They do have the 2nd most declined penalties, of course all penalties aren't created equal.

I wish someone tracked yards lost due to penalty as a stat, that'd be fun. Like not the yardage on the penalty itself, but the 20 yard return that holding negated

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

News:

Not that I'm a professional athlete or anything, but I don't understand even considering not being there. I'd regret that poo poo for the rest of my life unless it was like the Super Bowl or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kalli posted:

Pre-snap penalties

34 - Browns

28 of those are Jedrick Wills false starts.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
The Athletic did a profile of Scott Hanson that I found pretty interesting – some of the things I learned:

- He doesn’t go to the toilet during the entire broadcast

- To help with the previous, his pre-broadcast meal includes some extra salty kalamata olives

- He’s big into Jesus and missionary work, to the point where he took a year off sports to work for one of Mother Teresa’s operations in LA

- He scoops the bubbles out of his Diet Pepsi

The whole thing (if you subscribe): No brakes, no breaks: An exhilarating, exhausting NFL Sunday with RedZone’s Scott Hanson https://theathletic.com/2957890/2021/11/26/no-brakes-no-breaks-an-nfl-sunday-with-redzones-scott-hanson/?source=user_shared_article

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some fun things I'm pulling from these stats

Texans have committed 1 DPI all year, the 49ers have 15.

In comparison, the Texans have 7 offsides, the Colts 0.

Cowboys and the Raiders have 9 Unnecessary Roughness. 23 teams have 4 or less.

Lions have 10 declined offensive holding penalties. It don't matter what you do, Goff ain't doing poo poo with that time fellas.

Vikings have 24 offensive holding, Seahawks, Falcons and Bears combine for 22... of course you have to touch rushers to hold them.

Titans have been gifted 25 automatic first downs, the Broncos and Giants got 10 each

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fire Safety Doug posted:

The Venn diagram of people who do this and people who have experience putting corpses in multiple dumpsters is a perfect circle.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Those are cool stats Kali, thanks. I was actually looking around for opponent penalty yardage by team but couldn't figure out how to phrase it and found nothing.

And I gotta forgive the Raiders for all those unnecessary roughness penalties, they do have a reputation to uphold

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Kalli posted:

I wish someone tracked yards lost due to penalty as a stat, that'd be fun. Like not the yardage on the penalty itself, but the 20 yard return that holding negated

But there's a good chance the penalty allowed the yardage in the first place, so it would be less of "wow, look at what we could have done if you hadn't held, dummy!" and more "wow, look how easy it is to return a punt for 20 yards when your teammate shoves the nearest defender in the back the second you touch the ball."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bengals only have 43 penalties and 12 of them are from Steelers games.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Kalli posted:

Titans have been gifted 25 automatic first downs

Yeah, it's called handing the ball to Henry! *cue laugh track*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LargeHadron posted:

But there's a good chance the penalty allowed the yardage in the first place, so it would be less of "wow, look at what we could have done if you hadn't held, dummy!" and more "wow, look how easy it is to return a punt for 20 yards when your teammate shoves the nearest defender in the back the second you touch the ball."

Yeah, but it'd still be fun to see tracked. Like does a team like the Chiefs lose 500 yards on holding penalties vs Jared Goff losing like... 100.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fire Safety Doug posted:

... W-what?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not that I'm a professional athlete or anything, but I don't understand even considering not being there. I'd regret that poo poo for the rest of my life unless it was like the Super Bowl or something.

Game check.

Would you pay $56,700 to be at your kids birth?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 2, 2021

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

... W-what?

He doesn't want to get caught burping during the show so he scoops the carbonation out which, like, drink something else? Diet Pepsi is worse than most with that

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Fire Safety Doug posted:

...how is this even possible? you can't scoop co2 bubbles out a drink

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/1466203324542484485?s=20

Yay Lenny

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I've spent the last ten minutes trying like hell to parse that concept and I finally gave up before my brain started bleeding.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I guess if you pour the soda in a glass, you can skim the head off with a spoon???

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
like i run ops for a company that makes seltzer, yall have no idea how much effort goes into just making sure your carbonated drink stays carbonated and the idea that someone would then try to "scoop" out the co2 is making me have a stroke

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know what u mean. i spent $75 on this soda stream

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I gotta think that's just poorly worded and he just stirs it with a spoon.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why wouldn't he just leave his soda opened in a fridge and let it go flat beforehand.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why wouldn't he just leave his soda opened in a fridge and let it go flat beforehand.

Probably because he's not my wife.

That's right, I'm calling her out.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Scoop & Sip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The playoff game broadcast on Nickelodeon was :discourse: and I won't hear otherwise.

They should get the girl from that broadcast into the booth more often. She was great.