Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PSA Flight 182 is pretty horrific if only for the fact that thousands of people watched the mid-air collision happen. Some even took pictures:

It was also pretty horrific for those in the suburban neighborhood where it crashed:

Spoiler for NSFL posted:

It only took a little over 13 seconds from the point of impact with the Cessna for the 727 to impact the ground. As the photos show, the 727 started to roll to its left and nose over. The left hand side of the nose of the 727 crashed through a garage and slammed into the cement floor of the garage at a 60 degree angle. NTSB investigators estimated that the 727 was going a little under 400 MPH when it impacted that garage floor. This created a pressure wave that traveled back through the passenger cabin ripping open the top right side of the passenger cabin like it was a bag of chips and then expelling everything out of that passenger cabin through the rip at over 200 MPH. This had an effect like a paper shredder.

Apparently people in the neighborhood were finding pieces of passengers for months.

Also unnerving: Google's autocomplete results when I was trying to look up the flight name/number:

While on the topic of mid-air collisions, this morbid poo poo somehow made the top 40 in the early 70s. I heard it on the radio as a kid in the early 90s and it freaked me the gently caress out, largely due to that sickly-sounding synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzY5i8zHWdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

That one boils down to 'someone put a bomb on the plane'.

What? They know what did it.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Apparently people in the neighborhood were finding pieces of passengers for months.

Also unnerving: Google's autocomplete results when I was trying to look up the flight name/number:

I've never actually seen pictures of plane crash victims but there is a story about PSA 182 on the gore site Documenting Reality dubbed "Superman" where supposedly when the plane crashed someone was flung (alive) as it opened up and smashed head first into a nearby car and was obliterated. The witnesses said he sounded like a squealing pig.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Nov 17, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the implication was that the cargo was more or less an impromptu bomb, or at least that's how I took it. Like, what else do you call a box of self fueling flames set next to further tinder? :nyoron:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah my bad. Bombs work differently in that context so I read the post incorrectly.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never actually seen pictures of plane crash victims but there is a story about PSA 182 on the gore site Documenting Reality dubbed "Superman" where supposedly when the plane crashed someone was flung (alive) as it opened up and smashed head first into a nearby car and was obliterated. The witnesses said he sounded like a squealing pig.

Yeah I heard that one, but I kind of doubt he could be heard squealing while the plane was crashing so close by. Could be wrong.

There was a mid-air collision of two Cessnas near where I grew up about 20 years ago and I worked with a volunteer fireman who worked that scene. Apparently one of the bodies falling from one of the planes hit a high-tension wire (a lineman about 3 miles away from where it saw the crash landed reported that the line he was working on "twanged" when the body hit it) on the way down, bisecting it neatly from crotch to shoulder.

As far as photos of plane crash victims, some goon long ago posted a ZIP file containing 9/11 photos from one of the first photographers on the scene (who from the look of things beat even most first responders, since there were no ambulances, cop cars, or fire trucks in sight). Aside from a couple of obvious jumpers/people who fell largely intact from the building, the street looked like a shower of metal and meat had rolled through the area. It was....something.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

Futility Closet is ending, sad to see it go.

I know! I'm so bummed, it's one of my absolute favorite podcasts and I've been listening to it pretty much since it started. They did so much fantastic research on the kind of weird little stories that you might find while in a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

At least futilitycloset.com is still around.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah I heard that one, but I kind of doubt he could be heard squealing while the plane was crashing so close by. Could be wrong.

There was a mid-air collision of two Cessnas near where I grew up about 20 years ago and I worked with a volunteer fireman who worked that scene. Apparently one of the bodies falling from one of the planes hit a high-tension wire (a lineman about 3 miles away from where it saw the crash landed reported that the line he was working on "twanged" when the body hit it) on the way down, bisecting it neatly from crotch to shoulder.

As far as photos of plane crash victims, some goon long ago posted a ZIP file containing 9/11 photos from one of the first photographers on the scene (who from the look of things beat even most first responders, since there were no ambulances, cop cars, or fire trucks in sight). Aside from a couple of obvious jumpers/people who fell largely intact from the building, the street looked like a shower of metal and meat had rolled through the area. It was....something.

I saw footage of the scene just after that truck drove through the crowd in France a few years ago and I really wish I hadn't. They looked like broken dolls on the ground.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

I saw footage of the scene just after that truck drove through the crowd in France a few years ago and I really wish I hadn't. They looked like broken dolls on the ground.

Nice 2016? I was there. I don't recommend being present at terrorist attacks if you can avoid it, cuz you're right, it fuckin sucks.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Doesn't sound very nice to me! You sick gently caress

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I meant that the cases of jury-rigged oxygen generators were, functionally speaking, a bomb. That goes beyond just lax procedures and poor maintenance and into gross disregard.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

PSA Flight 182 is pretty horrific if only for the fact that thousands of people watched the mid-air collision happen. Some even took pictures:

It was also pretty horrific for those in the suburban neighborhood where it crashed:

While on the topic of mid-air collisions, this morbid poo poo somehow made the top 40 in the early 70s. I heard it on the radio as a kid in the early 90s and it freaked me the gently caress out, largely due to that sickly-sounding synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzY5i8zHWdw

Years ago in a similar thread to this someone linked to a San Diego newspaper blog from the mid-2000's where eyewitnesses were talking about the crash, it was nightmarish. I recently looked for the blog again because I'm a morbid gently caress but it seems to have disappeared from the internet, though if someone can find it again it'd be a great addition here. Multiple people confirmed that the "Superman" passenger was real, and one guy mowing his lawn who he "flew" past had to go into therapy and couldn't talk about it without breaking down. The other thing that stood out, besides numerous accounts of limbs and entrails on roofs, was a guy in his house who heard a loud crash. When he investigated and went into his kitchen, there was a hole in the ceiling, and a decapitated passenger still strapped into a seat, facing the oven as if he or she was checking on something cooking.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Skip Hollandsworth has a new article out, for the murder enthusiasts in the thread. The Notorious Mrs. Mossler.

I spent the entire article thinking about this post:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CaptainJuan posted:

I'm mostly ok talking about it now but talk about unnerving.

It was a grand total of ten minutes or less from normal fun times, seeing Bastille Day fireworks with my family at the beach, to hearing the roar of the vehicle, to seeing dead and injured people while the rear end in a top hat and the cops' (I repeat myself) shots rang out. My main memory is shock panic attack looking at a mom and kid who didn't make it holding hands with my cousin.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

HopperUK posted:

Nice 2016? I was there. I don't recommend being present at terrorist attacks if you can avoid it, cuz you're right, it fuckin sucks.

CaptainJuan posted:

I think you overlooked a pun, Edgar Allen Ho...

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Jim Bont posted:

Years ago in a similar thread to this someone linked to a San Diego newspaper blog from the mid-2000's where eyewitnesses were talking about the crash, it was nightmarish. I recently looked for the blog again because I'm a morbid gently caress but it seems to have disappeared from the internet, though if someone can find it again it'd be a great addition here.

I think I know which blog you’re talking about, and “nightmarish” is exactly right. :gonk: The blog is offline now, but there is an archived version here.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I know! I'm so bummed, it's one of my absolute favorite podcasts and I've been listening to it pretty much since it started. They did so much fantastic research on the kind of weird little stories that you might find while in a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

At least futilitycloset.com is still around.

It's really too bad. Theres so much focus on the darker murder mysteries, and conspiracies, having a pod focused on just weird, unique, and strange happenstances of history was really refreshing. As well as being well researched and presented. I did feel like their hearts weren't as into it after Sasha died. I'm gonna miss 'em. Except Greg trying to solve the puzzles. For someone as intelligent as he seems, he was a very in the box thinker.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HopperUK posted:

I saw the aftermath of a pedestrian/pickup truck accident, and thought the exact same thing. To this day it's the most horrible thing I've ever seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jim Bont posted:

Years ago in a similar thread to this someone linked to a San Diego newspaper blog from the mid-2000's where eyewitnesses were talking about the crash, it was nightmarish. I recently looked for the blog again because I'm a morbid gently caress but it seems to have disappeared from the internet, though if someone can find it again it'd be a great addition here. Multiple people confirmed that the "Superman" passenger was real, and one guy mowing his lawn who he "flew" past had to go into therapy and couldn't talk about it without breaking down. The other thing that stood out, besides numerous accounts of limbs and entrails on roofs, was a guy in his house who heard a loud crash. When he investigated and went into his kitchen, there was a hole in the ceiling, and a decapitated passenger still strapped into a seat, facing the oven as if he or she was checking on something cooking.

I guess it's nice (?) to have it confirmed after all this time because I'd assumed the story was bullshit someone made up on the internet since that's how a lot of these stories go. What a horrible way to go.

The Lone Badger posted:

I meant that the cases of jury-rigged oxygen generators were, functionally speaking, a bomb. That goes beyond just lax procedures and poor maintenance and into gross disregard.

Yeah I was a big dummy and didn't pick up what you were putting down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Thankfully," the nature of planes mean you usually don't have to actually experience the horror for too long. Smoke, lack of oxygen in a depressurized cabin, lack of oxygen from your seat plummeting out of the plane, lack of oxygen from being sucked out of a depressurized cabin, fires, crashing really fast, they all tend to knock you unconscious in seconds-to-minutes, before you have to experience the worst bit.

Like, if you get ejected from a passenger plane at cruising altitude, it sucks, but you will mercifully pass out in seconds instead of having to experience the results.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Nov 18, 2021

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm mostly ok talking about it now but talk about unnerving.

Jesus Christ man, I'm sorry you had to experience that.

It's strange. When events like that happen and I see them on the news, I tend to react very coolly, but being reminded of events like that years later can bring me to tears. It's like a delayed processing of watching so much human grief and suffering unfold.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:eng101: We have now gone twenty full years since the last large-scale crash involving a major U.S. carrier. This is by far the longest such streak ever.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

shelley posted:

I think I know which blog you’re talking about, and “nightmarish” is exactly right. :gonk: The blog is offline now, but there is an archived version here.

There are several mentions in the comments of people rushing to the scene and starting to steal watches, jewelry, and luggage. I'm speechless.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gamblers logic tells me now is the most dangerous time to fly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skip Hollandsworth of the Texas Monthly has another magnificent true-crime story. https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/the-notorious-mrs-mossler/

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Skip Hollandsworth of the Texas Monthly has another magnificent true-crime story. https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/the-notorious-mrs-mossler/

That was as A++ read; I had never heard a thing about her but I can absolutely believe a clever enough woman could use the ubiquitous misogyny of 1960s Houston as the perfect disguise.

Slightly less murderous, unless you count possible side effects from knowingly exposing people to inhaled radiation, this Tom Scott video on therapeutic radon mines in Germany led me to learn that we have some in the US too. The Germans stick to controlled exposure, one health claim (it’ll help chronic pain eventually) and require a prescription. The Americans (being very American) just charge an admission fee to go sit in radon water while you breathe some unquantified amount of ambient gas, and claim it will treat anything and everything

The hosed-up history of treating chronic pain could be its own podcast, from the careful dosage of opium, to the days of cramming soldiers full of endless morphine, to the pharmaceutical-funded opioid “crisis” targeting impoverished people, to today, where even someone who is suicidal due to the poor quality of life they have as a result of unrelenting pain is told they’re either being dramatic or just looking to get high. Sometimes an error in an algorithm will make the difference between getting treatment or facing verbal abuse. Fun times.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Busket Posket posted:

That was as A++ read; I had never heard a thing about her but I can absolutely believe a clever enough woman could use the ubiquitous misogyny of 1960s Houston as the perfect disguise.

Slightly less murderous, unless you count possible side effects from knowingly exposing people to inhaled radiation, this Tom Scott video on therapeutic radon mines in Germany led me to learn that we have some in the US too. The Germans stick to controlled exposure, one health claim (it’ll help chronic pain eventually) and require a prescription. The Americans (being very American) just charge an admission fee to go sit in radon water while you breathe some unquantified amount of ambient gas, and claim it will treat anything and everything

The hosed-up history of treating chronic pain could be its own podcast, from the careful dosage of opium, to the days of cramming soldiers full of endless morphine, to the pharmaceutical-funded opioid “crisis” targeting impoverished people, to today, where even someone who is suicidal due to the poor quality of life they have as a result of unrelenting pain is told they’re either being dramatic or just looking to get high. Sometimes an error in an algorithm will make the difference between getting treatment or facing verbal abuse. Fun times.

Wow. This explains a lot of what happened to my wife two years ago when she had a mis-diagnosed burst cervical disc.

The third (or fourth) doctor we saw almost outright accused her of "drug-seeking behavior." I thought it was the old women in pain not being taken seriously, but this sounds more like what happened.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In memory of Futility Closet ending, I give you the one story I always meant to submit and then constantly forgot to. FDR trying to sell Adolph Zukor on a movie about John Paul Jones

https://archive.org/details/sim_coronet_1951-02_29_4_0/page/38/mode/2up

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Busket Posket posted:

It's a great read. Jacques' murder got all the attention but the attempted second murder was absolutely brutal.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

In memory of Futility Closet ending, I give you the one story I always meant to submit and then constantly forgot to. FDR trying to sell Adolph Zukor on a movie about John Paul Jones

https://archive.org/details/sim_coronet_1951-02_29_4_0/page/38/mode/2up

Hey, thanks for bringing this podcast up. I hadn't heard of it but am now working my way through their considerable catalog. I kind of wish they'd spend more time on the stories and less time on the listener letters and puzzles, but it obviously worked for them. I appreciate that everything they do is fairly straightforward and doesn't involve too much personality or sensationalism. The stories stand on their own and are what attract people to the podcast and they mostly stay out of the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Rodrigues_Filho

Here's an interesting person who I haven't seen discussed recently. Not sure that he's a "vigilante" in the sense that he was out for justice as much as his victims were criminals because that's who he was surrounded by (aside from the incidents motivated by personal revenge). I also don't know that "serial killer" applies to him either considering he kind of just seemed to be a violent guy who killed for "practical" reasons given his environment, though his now-covered "kill for pleasure" tattoo suggested otherwise. He's not a spree killer either, so I'm not sure how to label him. Mass murderer? A poor choice of company?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Mass murderer is probably the best term, imo, for people who kill repeatedly without sticking to the patterns and/or souvenir taking most associated with serial killers.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
POOR IMPULSE CONTROL

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Mass murderer is probably the best term, imo, for people who kill repeatedly without sticking to the patterns and/or souvenir taking most associated with serial killers.

I thought mass murderer is mostly for people who kill multiple people in one event, eg bombers. While serial killer is for people who kill a bunch of people in independent events. The methods and patterns and souvenirs stuff is very rare from what I understand.

In context, someone who kills lots of people because he's involved in criminal activities that enable that sort of thing is probably called something like a mobster.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I missed plane chat but I've become kinda obsessed with plane crashes. Gone through every episode of Mayday and all the accident channels on YouTube and came across this one last night that recreates them with Besiege which is not something I knew you could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CukltgdUWU

Some of them are ATC's fault but the ones where some moron in their Cessna wipes out an entire plane full of people are probably the crashes that make me angriest.

Tangentially a while back I found out there's a youtube channel that makes fake car crashes in BeamNG. They have the physics set a bit on the floaty side but some of them manage to be accurate enough you'll wince and get mad at the drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhha3OvAB6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QSTK26dyU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Tangentially a while back I found out there's a youtube channel that makes fake car crashes in BeamNG. They have the physics set a bit on the floaty side but some of them manage to be accurate enough you'll wince and get mad at the drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhha3OvAB6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QSTK26dyU

I hate this so much. Horror movies don't have anything on "logging truck driver falls asleep". I don't think I've watched anything that gave me such horrible anxiety that these do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pidan posted:

I thought mass murderer is mostly for people who kill multiple people in one event, eg bombers. While serial killer is for people who kill a bunch of people in independent events. The methods and patterns and souvenirs stuff is very rare from what I understand.

In context, someone who kills lots of people because he's involved in criminal activities that enable that sort of thing is probably called something like a mobster.

IIRC Hitmen and contract killers are considered a sub-type of serial killers.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

christmas boots posted:

IIRC Hitmen and contract killers are considered a sub-type of serial killers.

The FBI considers them different categories since a serial killer chooses their targets while a contract killer typically doesn't. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of overlap in the psychology of the type of person who becomes a contract killer and who becomes a profit-motivated serial killer.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
There was a fairly sane podcast put out in the UK a few weeks back about Havana syndrome by Tortoise (transcript at the site if you don't fancy listening the podcast) that obviously didn't 'solve' anything but had some interesting things to say. There's definitely seems to be more of an acceptance that yes, it could actually have been an attack, although that still depends on who you ask. Amusingly the US experts were initially adamant that the technology just didn't exist to weaponise a sonic attack like this (and are slowly shifting), but the UK people they spoke to were just like yeah, Russia does some crazy poo poo so... maybe?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Passing healthcare benefits for state department psycho ennui (or "i was hungover and heard some crickets") is the real unnerving part imho
Epidemic psychogenic illnesses are pretty fascinating, though I wonder why so many of the cases cited on wikipedia seem to purely involve schoolgirls
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_hysteria_cases

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Dec 5, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Brainbread posted:

I hate this so much. Horror movies don't have anything on "logging truck driver falls asleep". I don't think I've watched anything that gave me such horrible anxiety that these do.

I never considered the "third parties" before. The ones unrelated to the initial collision but close enough to become involved. Everything is cool, then a car comes flying at you at windshield height. Fun thing to think about next time I'm on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

The FBI considers them different categories since a serial killer chooses their targets while a contract killer typically doesn't. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of overlap in the psychology of the type of person who becomes a contract killer and who becomes a profit-motivated serial killer.

Do professional contract killers actually exist?