Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

tragedyjones posted:

So that was absolutely Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin aka Uncle right? I figured we wouldn't see him until the last episode after No Way Home revealed Matt Murdock

It absolutely was. If you go back to watch the show on Netflix it's definitely his voice and the way he chuckled when playing that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They got all the music cues this episode, didn’t they. I imagine we’re going to get 15 seconds of the waitresses’ Christmas rapping next ep.

Edit: just because Maya is a sympathetic character doesn’t mean that New York’s underworld was filled with nice people. But I’ve been in enough hundred page threads about the morality in the MCU to let it go.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 1, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is Maya's prosthetic leg part of the comic character's backstory or unique to the actress portraying her?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Klungar posted:

Is Maya's prosthetic leg part of the comic character's backstory or unique to the actress portraying her?

I’m pretty sure it’s the actress. But maybe it will give’em something to talk about with Bucky Barnes, Luke and Anakin…

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gavok posted:

The conversation with young Maya and her father was absolutely about making sense of Netflix Marvel as part of the MCU.

That makes sense, though I just thought it was about Shang-Chi.

I would not be mad if Christophe Beck became the house composer. The Ant-Man series has the best music and it's been very good so far in Hawkeye.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arist posted:

This episode made me really look forward to whenever Clint has to tell Kate he was Ronin. They'll get some good drama out of that for sure.

I think she knows. When he shoots down her drawing she says "What if it was all black? All black with a mask? Maybe a hood?" She's describing the Ronin costume as a "well I know you wore that" kind of hint. She also keeps talking about trust and communication, she wants him to tell her that he was Ronin.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Episode three was 1000% better than the first two, i guess that’s why they bundled them like that upfront. Stoked for Netflix Kingpin coming back for this an spin-offs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pik_d posted:

I think she knows. When he shoots down her drawing she says "What if it was all black? All black with a mask? Maybe a hood?" She's describing the Ronin costume as a "well I know you wore that" kind of hint. She also keeps talking about trust and communication, she wants him to tell her that he was Ronin.
Huh, if that was intended, it went absolutely over my head. And maybe over Clint's too. Then again, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has a personal connection to that suit.

One scene which didn't really land was during the car chase when Clint insisted that Kate should mess up those traffic lights. What was his idea there? Did he just want to make sure the civilians stay out of the intersection, or does he have severe fear of ever crossing a red light?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

cant cook creole bream posted:

One scene which didn't really land was during the car chase when Clint insisted that Kate should mess up those traffic lights. What was his idea there? Did he just want to make sure the civilians stay out of the intersection, or does he have severe fear of ever crossing a red light?

Well, you see, red lights make him think of redheads, and…

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm curious how they work Yelena and Val into all of this, especially since they keep reminding us about Nat. The show's halfway over and there's still a lot on its plate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish these shows were written like TV shows and not like movies so that each episode has its own pacing and rhythm instead of each episode clearly just trying to carry the throughline of momentum through the entire production, so that this episode just runs at breakneck speed for like 30 minutes straight after the absolutely glacial pace of the intro

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Huh, if that was intended, it went absolutely over my head. And maybe over Clint's too. Then again, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has a personal connection to that suit.

Yeah that's just my reading of what she said, but I'll be disappointed if I'm wrong about it.

The traffic light thing, I think he wanted to make it through the intersection so he was having her stop all cars from entering it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

live with fruit posted:

I'm curious how they work Yelena and Val into all of this, especially since they keep reminding us about Nat. The show's halfway over and there's still a lot on its plate.

Yeah, 6 episodes feels to short. We're halfway done and I feel they are still setting up stuff. But keep in mind, the whole show takes place during 6 days.
Also I just remembered that Kate sorta skipped out on her appointment with the cops.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if they'll end up playing much of a role at all at this rate. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for them in the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I liked a lot which was subtle was the scene in the warehouse early on, Clint isn't ignoring Kate because he's mad, he just can't hear her because they've tied them up so she's on the wrong side from his hearing aid.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Huh, if that was intended, it went absolutely over my head. And maybe over Clint's too.

*stares in Drax*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rarity posted:

I am so hype for Vincent D'Onoforio in the MCU proper

Also Feige please rescue Krysten Ritter

Also please rescue Cloak & Dagger.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also Tina Minoru

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

This show looks to be suffering for the same reasons that all the other MCU shows did-- poor fight cheorography

Kate vs the Mafia in the basement felt really weird and janky, and I'm willing to write that off as intentional

but Clint, the Ronin, master swordsman assassin badass, should have had a much cooler fight with the larpers. Like, a lot less slow motion. Have him just, normal speed, walking through the crowd, looking bored, with nerds falling down around him

Also Tony Dalton tells me that Paul F Thompkins deserves a role in the MCU

I take it all back
this episode loving ruled

e:
can't screenshot D+
but the scene in the kitchen
at the end
there's a pot of coffee framed perfectly

for one of these
was very disappointed

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 1, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think the fan service car was OK, but nothing’s gonna beat the car from Shang Chi.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The PYM arrow was gloriously stupid and I loved it. What a dumb $50,000,000 gimmick arrow lol

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

The PYM arrow was gloriously stupid and I loved it. What a dumb $50,000,000 gimmick arrow lol

When I saw "PYM" on the arrowhead I knew exactly what Clint was going to do and it was glorious.

EDIT: And the USB arrowhead is a reference to "What If...?"

At least, that's what it made me think of (and it was super useful there).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Pym arrow has me real curious about how the Avengers are set up. We know they still have their conference calls and now we can assume Hank's cool with sharing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

If only they had some clue that Hawkeye was in New York City. But it's not like a giant arrow will drop out of the sky and- Oops. Spoke too soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The last minute of the show is Clint entering his home on Christmas where he suddenly gets shot by Yelena, who has been lurking in the bushes for a week now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

When I saw "PYM" on the arrowhead I knew exactly what Clint was going to do and it was glorious.

EDIT: And the USB arrowhead is a reference to "What If...?"

At least, that's what it made me think of (and it was super useful there).

The USB arrow is straight out of the Fraction run.

e: 256 megs of data, baby!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He definitely uses the USB arrow to hack a shield console in one of the Avengers movies

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah Avengers 1 when he raids the helicarrier and it was gloriously stupid fun then too

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

8one6 posted:

I like Holland as Spider-Man, Sony like him as Spider-Man, marvel, audiences etc all like him as Spider-Man and it's not like the Uncharted movie is going to launch a franchise so there's no reason not to back a money truck up to his house for more movies.

Holland's not immediately thrilled with the prospect of doing three more movies based on the interviews I've seen, though he's saying he's had a fantastic time as Spider-man and isn't necessarily against continuing with the role, and that's exactly the way I'd be playing things if I didn't have a contract committing me to more movies in a franchise and wanted to get some proper Robert Downey Jr. level dump trucks of money sent my way. Recent cinematic history has also shown that no matter how much money it takes, getting an actor that's established themselves in the role results in an essentially guaranteed return on that investment in a way that recasting or doing a different take on the character just doesn't. Eventually there will be a recasting of a major franchise lead that still results in a big box office (I thought Black Panther would result in this for awhile), and that'll probably reduce these dump truck offers to more reasonable levels, but until then I'm all for actors I like to see getting big payouts while the getting is good.

I'm fully expecting Holland to end up in that rich has hell celebrity tier that buys a big stake into a line of alcohol and various other companies and just gets even richer that way (ala George Clooney, Dwayne Johnson, and Ryan Reynolds).

As for the definitely Kingpin bits of the episode, while not unexpected it was still a very pleasant surprise, and it's risen my No Way Home expectations dangerously high.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The car chase scene was easily the best thing I've seen in the post Infinity Saga content

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

The car chase scene was easily the best thing I've seen in the post Infinity Saga content

It was good but I don't think it's even the best action scene to take place on an motor vehicle in Phase 4.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Warehouse fight and car chase we’re both great

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Recency bias and all, but I think that was my favorite episode of any Marvel Disney+ show to date.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Surprising amount of heart

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Episode felt much better than the previous two and the fight choreography ruled. "Bert & Bertie" direct 4 & 5 as well according to imdb so looking forward to more of the same.

Can't wait for the Uncle Mephisto reveal

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

Episode felt much better than the previous two and the fight choreography ruled. "Bert & Bertie" direct 4 & 5 as well according to imdb so looking forward to more of the same.

Bullshit guess that I'll spoiler for context Vincent D'Onofrio does not appear as the Kingpin on this show. He instead appears as the Kingpin's secret twin brother, NYPD Detective Robert Goran. DOINK DOINK

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just checked out Alaqua Cox's social media because of this episode, and her dad died the other day. Like she is gonna be a breakout star now, and her dad dies like right before he gets to see it happen.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Sir Dog of Pizza.

and yeah...Uncle gotta be Kingpin

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AgentHaiTo posted:

I just checked out Alaqua Cox's social media because of this episode, and her dad died the other day. Like she is gonna be a breakout star now, and her dad dies like right before he gets to see it happen.

He got to see her breakout to some degree, because he was alive for the part where Disney/Marvel commissioned an entire show featuring her as the lead solely on the strength of her performance in a show still in production, before it was even released or anyone in public saw it. Which would be a huge vote of confidence in her acting career. He doesn't have to be alive to see the reaction in the general public to know she'd made it. It'd be the better option obviously; but I'm sure he was still delighted for her regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hobo Clown posted:

No actually it was Agatha all along!