Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WonkyBob posted:

I've sent over the mega links, does anyone else want them too?

Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

8one6 posted:

Yes please.

Links sent.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

WonkyBob posted:

Please and thanks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WonkyBob posted:

Hello, yes please!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WonkyBob posted:

Yo.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Links away!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Wouldn't mind that link, friend.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh hey I’ll take a link

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
just post the stupid link, it's either :files: or it's not. Doing it this way doesn't get around anything

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

just post the stupid link, it's either :files: or it's not. Doing it this way doesn't get around anything

My friend, don't be a jerk.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

https://mega.nz/#!ssFWjaCQ!WBBzSb056sWtAvokJw4BliOGR7Uf3kHYCA6_b7PalNc
https://mega.nz/#!RwFBGCiL!jfgNP48cMiy0JJw3HRTcK05W482dkGFCdE3Rparh9q0
https://mega.nz/#!95N3UYRB!xJNfsullAm8OsEhOCU7qWaMQFHUcHJ-Sg0TeFdPJM0U
https://mega.nz/#!o4UnARaI!fl2nqcB0prfYG3JJ9u3l8IlZr4zWEwMdCjG5sBqhM-A
https://mega.nz/#!8xdQXIaL!OeS_ULJKNNAFxO5HdcQpMEnYA-9LiBVb1u0rLtr2bSg
https://mega.nz/#!JskwRByS!sAcw0UiNtWkxYqitWglKBtbZz_MsR2-Vj-56H87L6Fc
https://mega.nz/#!x8lkFKAI!1LSN3rSt0EmxfBO2uE_p9ShU1aa075PLeJBiAPOy1Ug
https://mega.nz/#!d9ckyCyT!-VVIV3921rEFObgKElRWDLKpejznw-1w_9mIO04HcnY
https://mega.nz/#!wl9ygboY!IGExtoSiNAdKgzU7ivS16qJoCYqAs5HRaf8f2zLGVU0
https://mega.nz/#!hw03lDJA!bukZjwWbDJ8TibVKTaTiR6P8oEhFHFs6lGrufHGuWNE
https://mega.nz/#!9hUhxb4A!plj3MWTzoBsb8UAjQw55HGbfTbLW9AN6SRbV5nSBnFQ
https://mega.nz/#!8wEjxQ6Y!2YPPmkgd7yT6LjbOLeyvuIK_hkU9In1WDkcxboBrhDU
https://mega.nz/#!Q59GVYBa!jwaj663dswKH9z58sk2q0pvCjG7MfMxXItv3ZKGJVG0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I haven't seen that youtube edit video but didn't Plinkett do the same thing with one scene showing how they just never let a joke land because of the constant ad lib?

Yeah, it's the joke from where the ladies go to investigate Gabe from The Office talking about the opening scene. It would not have been hard to turn a good joke into a great one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Chris Hemsworth's ability to deliver the dumbest poo poo perfectly straight is an amazing acting skill.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Never mind. I'm dumb

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Chris Hemsworth's ability to deliver the dumbest poo poo perfectly straight is an amazing acting skill.

He was so good that they got rid of their original villain so Hemsworth could dance around more.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

text me a vag pic posted:

He was so good that they got rid of their original villain so Hemsworth could dance around more.
Also a thing about GB 2016 that was awful and has generally gone unspoken here: Rowan as a villain because "he was bullied and resents humanity" is some high school creative writing class poo poo. His character is so loving dumb that it alone would've likely dragged the move down regardless of meandering improv or bad editing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
We might have mentioned this before but out of interest, does anyone know why the Playmobil Ecto 1A is so scarce compared to the standard Ecto 1? I have seen it being resold for £300 now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Abner Assington posted:

Also a thing about GB 2016 that was awful and has generally gone unspoken here: Rowan as a villain because "he was bullied and resents humanity" is some high school creative writing class poo poo. His character is so loving dumb that it alone would've likely dragged the move down regardless of meandering improv or bad editing.

It felt like a victim of major rewrites/reshoots following the backlash.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I literally don't remember who Rowan even is, and I watched the whole movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I literally don't remember who Rowan even is, and I watched the whole movie

He's the villain :)

weekly font posted:

Gotta be that or they just presumed the backlash would happen which isn't the biggest leap but seems too perfect.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Some of it must have been reshoots but as RLM observed in their Half in the Bag video it was an odd decision to go after their core audience like that. I know we aren't all like that but spend a bit of time in a few Ghostbusters groups on social media and it is cult like.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Some of it must have been reshoots but as RLM observed in their Half in the Bag video it was an odd decision to go after their core audience like that. I know we aren't all like that but spend a bit of time in a few Ghostbusters groups on social media and it is cult like.

The problem is that the hardcore fans only buy so many tickets globally and the actual audience who pays the bills are the general public, a huge percentage of which weren't even born when the original film came out. They have to do this balancing act where they don't piss off the existing fanbase too much and end up with a Sonic The Hedgehog redesign/TMNT = aliens rewrite situation, but they also have to make sure the film appeals to everyone else as well. In this case the toxic element of the fanbase just wouldn't quit with the misogyny or complaining about Feig and it wasn't possible for the studio to redo those elements of the production at that stage so they just had to weather it, but every time Feig or any of the stars acknowledged the complaints in any way it set them off again and the fanbase backlash completely overwhelmed the actual film PR and became the main story.

Of course the best answer would be "Don't pander to anyone, just make a good film" but considering that nostalgia and audience recognition of the IP are the main drivers behind the project to start with that's a tall order.

E: I'm trying to think of recent remakes of pop culture IPs that ignored the older fanfavourite film but were still successful. Maybe Dune? Hellboy was a no.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know in the software industry there's this idea that a certain core of programmers are "evangelical" about certain products and that they ultimately drive adoption and use throughout the industry by constantly pushing for it at their place of work and through recommending them on the Internet. While I don't think this maps 1:1 with fanboy weirdoes on the Internet, I think that it's a lot easier to goose people who are already invested in your IP into raving about it then it is to build an entirely new audience while the O.G. core group you alienated screams bloody murder. (obviously I am not saying that the complete and utter bullshit around GB2016 is appropriate or ok. it's disgusting and disheartening).

"This ain't your daddy's <whatever>" seems to be one of those core ideas that marketing/execs love but never actually works in reality.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"This ain't your daddy's <whatever>" seems to be one of those core ideas that marketing/execs love but never actually works in reality.

it definitely didnt work for root beer

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The biggest problem with 2016 is that Feig just wasn't up to the task and wasn't a good enough director. He chucked the script out the window to put tons of "hilarious" ad-libs in. He can't direct action, so he just shot them ad-libbing rolling around on a greenscreen. He probably just wanted to laugh all day with his actors. A better director probably could have made a decent film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spy was pretty good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

weekly font posted:

GB2016 had only four days of re-shoots, and they were all interiors (largely in the HQ above the Chinese restaurant). Just pickups. The rumor that there were extensive rewrites and re-shoots came from Dan Aykroyd, who was sore about the whole movie and threw Feig under the bus, saying that Feig didn't understand Ghostbusters and didn't listen to notes that Aykroyd gave on the script, and he said some absolute bullshit about the re-shoots costing $50 million.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

He can't direct action,
Like I said in my initial post, the bit where Holtzmann breaks out the dual pistols was fantastic. Granted that was a whole 45 seconds but it was still the best part of the movie.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

He was coming off Spy, The Heat and Bridesmaids. All of which are good. Bridesmaids in particular I'd elevate to excellent. I've not seen all Feig's films but I definitely wouldn't call him a lovely director. Ivan Reitman has directed more duds than him (albeit with a lot longer career). Not making GBS threads on Reitman either, I prefer to judge filmmakers at their best work rather than the worst which is why I'll always say Tim Burton is a good filmmaker on the basis of Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish etc no matter how many Alice in Wonderland level films he makes.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 2, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Like I said in my initial post, the bit where Holtzmann breaks out the dual pistols was fantastic. Granted that was a whole 45 seconds but it was still the best part of the movie.

That is a cool shot but it's literally just a slow motion shot. It's not an action sequence.

Karloff posted:

He was coming off Spy, The Heat and Bridesmaids. All of which are good. Bridesmaids in particular I'd elevate to excellent. I've not seen all Feig's films but I definitely wouldn't call him a lovely director. Ivan Reitman has directed more duds than him (albeit with a lot longer career). Not making GBS threads on Reitman either, I prefer to judge filmmakers at their best work rather than the worst which is why I'll always say Tim Burton is a good filmmaker on the basis of Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish etc no matter how many Alice in Wonderland level films he makes.

I'm not saying he's a lovely director, Bridesmaids was good. He's a lovely Ghostbusters director and a lovely high concept director. He just needs to work on comedies where bad scripts can be rescued by talented performers that don't need satisfying big budget endings

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

That is a cool shot but it's literally just a slow motion shot. It's not an action sequence.
Ehh I think it’s more than just a cool shot, like the camera angle changes repeatedly and stuff happens. It’s a real short sequence, granted.

https://youtu.be/UqbT6RVRNsE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

It was bad actually.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Counterpoint: it was in fact cool and good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not a fan of it on its own. It’s something in the movie because there’s nothing really that interesting happening besides bad quips and dodgy green screen stuff and so when that drops, it’s something kind of okay with a really cool track blaring behind it.

But having watched it on its own out of context it’s really just…yeah kinda lame to me. Especially the fact that the proton streams kill ghosts for some reason.

Such an odd choice.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Total Protonic Reversal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was bad actually.

I just watched the clip and yeah it's bad. Just slow mo waving guns in the air while everything is added in post. But she licked the gun which is so cool, right?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I kinda liked Holtzman's big shoot out at first, but since I overthink things it doesn't sit well with me now. In a world with an afterlife killing a ghost would be an abominable crime. You'd be destroying an everlasting spirit. At least murderers leave a soul behind. In a theological sense you'd be defying God's plan for their eternal rest or torment, in some traditions anyway.

:dawkins101:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not a fan of it on its own. It’s something in the movie because there’s nothing really that interesting happening besides bad quips and dodgy green screen stuff and so when that drops, it’s something kind of okay with a really cool track blaring behind it.

But having watched it on its own out of context it’s really just…yeah kinda lame to me. Especially the fact that the proton streams kill ghosts for some reason.

Such an odd choice.
I didn’t really see it as “killing” the ghost, maybe just sending it back to its ethereal plane or something.

Well except for that mini wood chipper thing, I dunno about that.

Yeah permanently killing a ghost is kind of wack, the more I think about it. I’m going to live with my head-canon that they’re just “banishing” them. I’d say that’s even more humane than trapping them and locking them up in a containment unit with who knows what kind of conditions on the inside. Yeah, that’s what I’m going to tell myself I think.

I liked how the ghosts and proton streams looked in the movie; I don’t care that it’s all CGI green screen added in post, I thought the ghost effects looked rad, the way they glowed and flowed looked more interesting to me than, say, Muncher in Afterlife who was just kind of a translucent blue blob.

Also since I have too much money and not enough common sense, I bought those retro re-release Real Ghostbusters from Walmart. I used to have a lot of Ghostbusters stuff as a kid and my parents got rid of it or whatever, so getting those again (especially the ghost toilet, holy poo poo) is fun.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

deoju posted:

I kinda liked Holtzman's big shoot out at first, but since I overthink things it doesn't sit well with me now. In a world with an afterlife killing a ghost would be an abominable crime. You'd be destroying an everlasting spirit. At least murderers leave a soul behind. In a theological sense you'd be defying God's plan for their eternal rest or torment, in some traditions anyway.

:dawkins101:

If they're actually dead, and not temporarily dissipated. The film doesn't really explain the context which is a problem I think.

If they are dead, I guess it's no more evil than any other hero who kills people (if you're an atheist and consider death annihilation), but it's weird if the Ghostbusters are killers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think "killing" ghosts is less uncomfortable than imprisoning them in the modern day. Like I like the ghost traps as much as anyone but "private contractors run a for profit prison with no possibility of escape or parol" reaaaaallly loving sucks in this day and age

"We discorporate the ghosts and they go to the afterlife" still sticks to the exterminator analogy without the really creepy idea of Peter Venkman being responsible for your eternal imprisonment