Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Hungry posted:

I would be incredibly flattered and would never consider this overreaching, readers have sent me all sorts of things. But then again I interact with readers a lot and there's a already a lot of fanart of Katalepsis. Is this story the only thing the author has written? If so, they might not have experienced this before, just might not have a way of processing it or something. I'd still reach out though, it's really gratifying as a writer to know your work inspired somebody else to be creative.

I agree with Hungry here about considering the inexperience of the author. If the author is not used to receiving attention like this, and if they're usually quiet and not interacting much, it might be a bit awkward depending on how it's worded. It's happened to me a few times, and the first time I was a bit confused, flattered, but confused, especially because the person was very energetic and excited about it. I thought a lot about how to respond to it in a way that would be sort of comfortably distant and professional, which is how I want to be with nice strangers who send me things. I'm a bit paranoid though, I've always been a bit nervous of people reading too much into things.

I would definitely treat it as fanart though, not something I'd actually put on it as a cover, but that's just me. Maybe for other folks it'd be a much more casual exchange.

Edit: I may have come off too negative, I think it would be a nice gesture, but I'd also just be careful of coming off too nice I guess.

Newfork fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, I'd just send it in as fanart, not saying "oh here, you can use this as the cover for your book!" or anything. Even if it obviously looks like a book cover or something that's fine, it's like fans making fake movie posters or whatever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

I was really loving dumb picking Bumfuck, Utah as my setting. Pretty much everything is along one of the major US or UT highways, which makes it really hard to pick an out-of-the-way town as a sort of Vaes Dothrak for the bandit faction.
Just.. lie. The thing about Nowhere Special, Utah is that no one knows what things may or may not be near, nor should any readers care TBH.

You could try to find a Paper Town nearby and make it come to life!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Wrigley having a parking lot was narratively useful. Utah can have a mine converted into bandit gnomeregan.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Narmi posted:

Bit of an odd question, but I've been thinking about this for awhile; authors, how would you feel if someone sent you a book cover fanart? One of the series I'm following on RR wrapped up its first arc, and I decided to make some covers for fun. They ended up pretty nice IMO, and I thought about sending it to the author, but it seems a bit like I'd be overreaching. The series' author doesn't really interact with readers much, so I'm not sure how they'd take it.

Yes, please!

I don’t think I have seen anyone react negatively to fan art. I am always thrilled when people like my writing enough to invest that much.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies/advice. I sent the author a short message and an album link on imgur, they replied and were really happy with them, and in fact had intended to replace their cover art for a while.

Also, since there were a different covers with a few variations, they asked if I'd be okay with them putting up a poll for readers to choose their favourite. So that might happen soon.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's awesome. :3:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

today in Threads of Destiny: how to ruin basically everyone's plans for everything in one fell speech.

boy when Cai Shenhua said she was going to burn off some good will she was not kidding.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I had thought for a second that Super Minion had updated again. Instead, this marks one year with no updates.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
It's a shame, super minion had some real good stuff, like the vampires being sub-sentient man shaped mosquitos and the reoccurring joke about rectangles

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Here are things I like that I don't see mentioned. Some of them are actually quests on some nerdy website, but still worth reading.

First Contact. 'MURICA! But in a couple of thousand years and with all or earth. Being angry is a superpower.
There is no epic loot here, only puns Dungeon story. Cute stuff. Pretty sure this is also from the space battles forum actually.
A Very Cliche Xianxia Harem Story! Don't listen to the title, it's actually not poo poo.
The snake report Snakes does stuff.

The quests:

Warhammer Fantasy: Divided Loyalties - an Advisor's Quest I think somebody here recommeded it. A shadow mage in the warhammer universe is an advisor. Fun stuff happens.
RHUNRIKKI STROLLAR (Warhammer Fantasy Golden Age Dwarf Runelord Quest Runesmith, stuff happens.
Warhammer Fantasy: A Dynasty of Dynamic Alcoholism]Being drunk and angry is a superpower .Angry drunk guy does stuff, gets married.
My Absolutely Incredible Astonishing Super-Amazing Life As Someone In Another World Is Absolutely and Unquestionably Beyond Reproach...It Sucks Probably the most well written one. Reminds me of K. J. Parker. Poor protagonist.
Fate Denied: A Star Wars SI Star Wars, I really like this one even though I've never actually liked Star Wars..

And that's what I've spent the last year reading. You've all ruined me.

Mulozon Empuri fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 1, 2021

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Snake report is really good even if it does shift gears towards the end of part 1. Hoping this hiatus isn't as long as the last ones.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is Threads of Destiny a prequel story to Forge of Destiny? The blurbs from the author in Forge make it seem like a wiki and a series of short stories and I haven't looked at it because of that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

asur posted:

Is Threads of Destiny a prequel story to Forge of Destiny? The blurbs from the author in Forge make it seem like a wiki and a series of short stories and I haven't looked at it because of that.

forge of destiny was a quest that was then converted into a web serial. threads of destiny is the continuation of that quest and is ahead of the web serial version, but less edited

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If we're recommending CYOAs we have a sub forum for them here. I'm following:

1. All Ways be Cultivating

Cultivation story where mostly characters are flawed but sane in a crazy world. Probably most notable for its atypical MC and how everything feels hard and dangerous.

2. Paradise Lost

A modern epic in a very developed biblically inspired setting. Seriously, it's huge.

3. Xin Wu

Newer cultivation quest. Generally grounded and well written.

4. Wylde Mygicke

Fun Dogkisser thread for funny good times. Illustrated and chill story of a chaos mage.

5. A Mage's Contract

Madoka vibes but a bit less dark. About a sick girl given a second chance at life so she rips out hearts with her chainsaw and shotgun.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

asur posted:

Are you thinking of Tales of Destiny?

Threads is the sequel to Forge. Tales is a bunch of short stories and some informational posts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The official ebook release of Mother of Learning is out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M2R6QLF

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Megazver posted:

The official ebook release of Mother of Learning is out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M2R6QLF

It's just the first 20% or so, right? If it's the full thing I'll be buying it imediately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

It's just the first 20% or so, right? If it's the full thing I'll be buying it imediately.

Yeah, it's the first arc.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This link doesn't work, which is a shame since you say it's probably the best one. Or, rather, it leads to a login screen, and I don't intend to create an account anytime soon.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

John Lee posted:

This link doesn't work, which is a shame since you say it's probably the best one. Or, rather, it leads to a login screen, and I don't intend to create an account anytime soon.

There's a section of Sufficient Velocity that is deliberately only available to logged in users, and that's where this was posted.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Some of them are actually quests on some nerdy website, but still worth reading.

I've never heard the quest terminology before - are those similar to the CYOA adventure forum things where a thread collaboratively inserts actions into the story that the author is writing?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Rob Filter posted:

I've never heard the quest terminology before - are those similar to the CYOA adventure forum things where a thread collaboratively inserts actions into the story that the author is writing?

Yes, basically the same.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I thought about making an Old Man Yells At Cloud post about it, but yeah, what we call CYOAs, collaborative storytelling on the forums, are called quests on the majority of forums. I'm of two minds about it; quests were originally the art-based things, usually with parser inputs (like Homestuck), and it seems like the phrase mutated awfully fast, but on the other hand Choose Your Own Adventures are... rather different from the forum CYOAs, so it's not like it's any more inaccurate.

Newfork posted:

There's a section of Sufficient Velocity that is deliberately only available to logged in users, and that's where this was posted.

Well, drat.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

I'll recommend one of my favorite, complete short quests, Wellspring Saga, featuring 3 days in the life of an urban druid in the midst of a one-woman war on drugs and the biggest triad group in the city.

And although not complete, I enjoyed Lucci Quest, a One Piece quest featuring the eponymous Lucci that decided to take a walkabout rather than go on a long-term, no-kill infiltration mission to track down an archaic super weapon's schematics.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2021

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Newfork posted:

Woops! Didn't notice it was from the unlisted forum. My bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Really liked the last couple (Patreon) Outcast updates. It was an effective way to show how Leveling High is still a threat, and I think the way Rob was presented as loving up and making bad decisions was really well done (and those decisions ended up having consequences).

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI Patreon Oh poo poo our new friend is the Golden Triangle guy, didn’t see that coming! Also, I really want to know Wilovan and Ratici’s levels.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kitty Cat Kill Sat: jesus christ Real America why are you running dark souls in there

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I'm hesitant to recommend this because it is apparently a fan-fiction, but Valkyrie's Shadow has been pretty good in the fifty chapters that I've read through. Lots of talking, politics, and kingdom building. It's started to get sorta litrpg now with adventurers, so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39336/valkyries-shadow

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

John Lee posted:

I thought about making an Old Man Yells At Cloud post about it, but yeah, what we call CYOAs, collaborative storytelling on the forums, are called quests on the majority of forums. I'm of two minds about it; quests were originally the art-based things, usually with parser inputs (like Homestuck), and it seems like the phrase mutated awfully fast, but on the other hand Choose Your Own Adventures are... rather different from the forum CYOAs, so it's not like it's any more inaccurate.

Well, drat.

Choose Your Own Adventure is also trademarked/copyrighted/however that poo poo works

I don't know if Chooseco would go after forum posts but they did sue Netflix over, iirc, a Black Mirror episode

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

shirunei posted:

I'm hesitant to recommend this because it is apparently a fan-fiction, but Valkyrie's Shadow has been pretty good in the fifty chapters that I've read through. Lots of talking, politics, and kingdom building. It's started to get sorta litrpg now with adventurers, so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39336/valkyries-shadow

I enjoy it quite a bit, even if the latest chapters have lost some of the early charm. There's also a couple of PoVs in the middle that are just awful in terms of content.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Several chapters into Ar'Kendrithyst and so far I’m getting very heavy Delve vibes. The magic system seems similar, the story throws math at you, they don’t speak the language at first but learn improbably fast, and the protagonist is even an aura mage who heavily uses Cleanse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Outcast: Meyneth is good at solving problems.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Outcast: Meyneth is good at solving problems.

:haibrow:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

Several chapters into Ar'Kendrithyst and so far I’m getting very heavy Delve vibes. The magic system seems similar, the story throws math at you, they don’t speak the language at first but learn improbably fast, and the protagonist is even an aura mage who heavily uses Cleanse.

the difference is ar'kendrythist is good and what little math there is rapidly disappears and thank god for that. ar'kendrythist is a story that happens to have a quasi-rpg screen be part of the plot, not a litrpg story. it's a small but important distinction.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the difference is ar'kendrythist is good and what little math there is rapidly disappears and thank god for that. ar'kendrythist is a story that happens to have a quasi-rpg screen be part of the plot, not a litrpg story. it's a small but important distinction.

the math does come back on occasion, but its small enough to just scroll through

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cicero posted:

That's all true, but they're very different stories.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TWI patron chapter is one of my least favourite since the early Flos chapters. This storyline is immensely uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

TWI patron chapter is one of my least favourite since the early Flos chapters. This storyline is immensely uninteresting.

How can you say that ? It's not like its a sideplot, Lyonette has been one of the main characters for a while. The search for Mrsha and like half of the main plotline. And we're getting pay off for all the new characters introduced in Olesia, in the 'Fellowship of Mrsha' and at the meeting of tribes. Everybody finally coming together, and meeting up - for a big battle, or maybe a picknick.