Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Solari imagery shows up all over Shurima too, what with them being the ones who gave the Shuriman Empire the Sun Disk.

That was another possibility I considered, but Shuriman iconography of the Sun Disc has always been rounder and smoother. It's still a possibility, though, especially since the Medardas did significant trade with one of Noxus's Shuriman colonies in the background lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Anyway, this is an update on an old meme that is in terrible taste that I love:
https://twitter.com/Konnestra/status/1466129486471213059

This meme is amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just realized that Jinx is a self-made orphan twice over.

A regular Mister Teatime.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When can I buy little figurines of Vi and Cait to put on my desk?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vermain posted:

That was another possibility I considered, but Shuriman iconography of the Sun Disc has always been rounder and smoother. It's still a possibility, though, especially since the Medardas did significant trade with one of Noxus's Shuriman colonies in the background lore.

I figure Mel was somehow Shuriman descent, because for the most part Targonians have a more greek tan/olive skin tone. Plus Noxus is actively invading Shurima at the time and I could see Mel's family being one of those converted to the Noxian ideals via that long term invasion process. As Noxus gives full citizenship to all conquered people.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
League is fine if you turn all chat off, only play with friends and don't take it seriously.

The moment you stray from this is the moment the hurt comes in and your time is better literally doing anything else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

You can check Riot’s merch store but they are maddeningly bad about just doing ‘here is a shirt with popular character Jinx.’

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Asema posted:

League is fine if you turn all chat off, only play with friends and don't take it seriously.

The moment you stray from this is the moment the hurt comes in and your time is better literally doing anything else.

All chat is more friendly than team chat by far.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If you're going to bother getting into League get into Teamfight Tactics, the only League game BRAVE enough to usher Silco onto the playing field (in February).

also it's just a super fun casual chaotic time that's very much an "easy to learn, hard to master, and then you'll get beaten by stupid luck anyway" treat and the newest season is reeeeeeally fun.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously, all that vote is, is a resolution to do the thing. It'd take a whole bunch of time and other negotiations to do it.

It was just a first step.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

You can check Riot’s merch store but they are maddeningly bad about just doing ‘here is a shirt with popular character Jinx.’

All their collectibles are based on the games. I want Arcane merch :argh:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

I like the asian touch on the food. Since I imagine Zaun is basically a 19th century northern English industrial town I imagine the Zaunite's will think they have been poisoned by the spices, after a lifelong diet of the Runterra equivalent of chip butties and beans on toast.

There are two or three scenes where food is shown, and every time it's some gross seafood. Twice they eat with their hands, don't remember if the third is a fork or a chopstick when Heimer waves the octopus arm around. Since it's a port town that makes perfect sense as a cute bit of worldbuilding.

I think people shouldn't get too excited about who is or isn't Shuriman or Ionian based on appearance, the town clearly has people from all over and basically always has. If anything everybody should look a bit more "Brazilian" instead of the US situation of lots of very black and very white people.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1465680780206780419?t=BNTbKhEqDKn_SkFu5QWI0Q&s=19

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pidan posted:

There are two or three scenes where food is shown, and every time it's some gross seafood. Twice they eat with their hands, don't remember if the third is a fork or a chopstick when Heimer waves the octopus arm around. Since it's a port town that makes perfect sense as a cute bit of worldbuilding.

I think people shouldn't get too excited about who is or isn't Shuriman or Ionian based on appearance, the town clearly has people from all over and basically always has. If anything everybody should look a bit more "Brazilian" instead of the US situation of lots of very black and very white people.

Mel isn't native to Piltover though, so knowing where she and her family comes from is worth thinking about in the context of what may or may not be going on with her Mom and their allegiance to Noxus.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nobody is asking the real questions.

How long until the live-action adaptation?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Within 5 years. Riot's already talked about it in passing ("Arcane is a launching point for our media and we want to explore more than just animation")

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hopefully loving never. Make all live action adaptions of anything illegal imo

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Live action is great for most stuff, but for fantasy plots with cartoony characters it doesn't work at all. Like just imagine Jinx and Caitlyn's outfits on a real person. You'd also lose a lot of the visual storytelling options you have with animation, the most obvious examples being the scenes where the animation style changes.
Practically the only advantage is that it has some more prestige and might be faster to produce (assuming Arcane style animation, obviously normal anime is fast and cheap).

I'm really not an anime fan, can't recall the last animated series I watched before this. I did watch the Witcher anime which was ok overall with some nice moments. Other than that, only the most mainstream Disney and Ghibli movies. But this series converted me lol

If they're going to do live action adaptations, they'll probably choose some story that isn't too heavy on the special effects, with a human focus. Hunt for Jhin or the Ashe comics could work. Or a Fiddlesticks horror movie, etc. I'll judge it when I see it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only thing DotA got over LoL is that they shamelessly stole Lina Inverse.

LoL has literally Battle Angel Alita so they got that one in blatant copying department

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

LoL has literally Battle Angel Alita so they got that one in blatant copying department

Wait.

What.

Who.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arcane isn't Japanese so it probably doesn't have any American producers salivating about live action adaptations.

fatherboxx posted:

I'm gonna assume you're talking about Kai'sa but that's a stretch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

pidan posted:

Live action is great for most stuff

Disagree :colbert:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

Arcane isn't Japanese so it probably doesn't have any American producers salivating about live action adaptations.

Kai’sa and MF have skins that are possibly what is being discussed. At least MF does, it is called Gun Goddess MF.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fatherboxx posted:

njsykora posted:

:thunk:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai’Sa is more Venom than Alita.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Kai’Sa is more Venom than Alita.

Kaisa has the problem that her concept and her visuals don't match at all. Concept: girl gets lost in the void (magic cancer world full of monsters) and merges with a monster in order to survive, eventually comes out again. Visuals: sexy lady in a purple catsuit shoots flares at people.

Kinda happy they avoided such blunders in Arcane, everyone looks pretty much as they should.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s just void Kerrigan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pidan posted:

Kaisa has the problem that her concept and her visuals don't match at all. Concept: girl gets lost in the void (magic cancer world full of monsters) and merges with a monster in order to survive, eventually comes out again. Visuals: sexy lady in a purple catsuit shoots flares at people.

I don't disagree, mind you. Perfect makeup, Voidsuit comes with ideal décolletage, it's a little ridiculous. She could use a visual rework not unlike Ahri got in Ruined King who actually looks more dangerous and semi-feral as she should according to her lore instead of 'cute fox girl.'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Are Vi and Caitlyn as a team officially refereed to as Piltover's Finest? Because all the Vi x Caitlyn art I'm seeing come across my timeline on Twitter, instead of doing the usual mashing together of the names to create a shipping name, are just all #PiltoversFinest

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 2, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Are Vi and Caitlyn as a team called officially refereed to as Piltover's Finest? Because all the Vi x Caitlyn art I'm seeing come across my timeline on Twitter, instead of doing the usual mashing together of the names to create a shipping name, are just all #PiltoversFinest

I'm pretty sure that's a name for them from the game yeah, there are voice lines that reference it as well

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a name for them from the game yeah, there are voice lines that reference it as well

If they’re on the same team in League they get a buff called Piltover’s Finest. It used to give them a single extra gold if they worked together on a kill. Now it’s just for flavour.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

If they’re on the same team in League they get a buff called Piltover’s Finest. It used to give them a single extra gold if they worked together on a kill. Now it’s just for flavour.

Oh, I thought that only showed up if it was Cait+Vi on the same team and Jinx on the opposite team. Which, I'm pretty sure the next season Vi+Cait's plot is going to be trying to track down and catch Jinx until something bad happens that they need to unite on

Which is honestly a particularly fun one since it tracks kills on each other from both sides

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh, I thought that only showed up if it was Cait+Vi on the same team and Jinx on the opposite team. Which, I'm pretty sure the next season Vi+Cait's plot is going to be trying to track down and catch Jinx until something bad happens that they need to unite on

Which is honestly a particularly fun one since it tracks kills on each other from both sides

There’s one for Jinx too, which is Catch me if you Can, which works if she’s against Vi or Caitlyn. Caitlyn also gets a buff if Vi or Jinx taunt her called “Agitated”.

On the Case: Piltover’s Finest is always up if Vi and Caitlyn are on the same team. If either of them are fighting Jinx they get Catch me if you Can.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
the superior ship name is VioLyn, do not @ me

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is scarlett johansson, right? But purple. Purple Johansson.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

She shares a lot more stylistic and thematic DNA with Bio Booster Armor Guyver, though it's less obvious when her helmet isn't toggled on.

Yes, showing her face is also connected to her plunging neckline for some reason. It's a bizarre design pivot for a team that had largely managed to move away from cheescake poo poo for female champions.

pidan posted:

It certainly doesn't help that they chose a VA who makes her sound like she had her personality surgically removed. Voicework's an opportunity to help punch up a concept that the visuals are letting down, but she sounds terminally bored by everything she's saying, and her in-combat vocals - a great area to explore the feral, barely-in-control predator angle - are limited to her snarling in the same way I snarl when I stub my toe.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
kaisa is samus you goofballs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

It certainly doesn't help that they chose a VA who makes her sound like she had her personality surgically removed. Voicework's an opportunity to help punch up a concept that the visuals are letting down, but she sounds terminally bored by everything she's saying, and her in-combat vocals - a great area to explore the feral, barely-in-control predator angle - are limited to her snarling in the same way I snarl when I stub my toe.

I like whatever vocal effect they gave her that makes her kind of echo, but yeah, I've been trying to learn her and she has a weird lack of personality for somebody linked to the Void yet protecting a world that hates and fears her from it. There's more meat on them bones is what I'm saying.

Since we're doing dumb LoL lore questions, I have one about Akali. How do we get the Akali in the Runeterra cinematic 'The Lesson' who throws herself over a child to protect it from a big tree thing's strike to the one in League who talks mostly about how she's a killer and nobody tells her what to do? The first one's really cool. The second one's just kind of edge lord. Edge lady. Whatever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Noxus invades and Akali sees Shen do nothing because it’s not his duty. So she breaks from him to do something. Her protecting the kid is the same thing as her going out to fight Noxians.

A lot of Ionian champion stories amount to things were okay, Noxus invaded, things stopped being okay.

A lot like how a number of Zaunite, a few Noxian and a few Ionian champions backstories amount to Singed performed some war crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Which is why I think it's basically a lock that we'll see a series/movie/season/whatever set in Ionia someday, there are so many fragments of stories about the fallout of the invasion both culturally and personally that makes it incredibly ripe for an arcane-style thing to tie together. The fact that it's where all the popular anime characters are from doesn't hurt either from a business perspective