Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You say there's no great quotes but I'm gonna be remembering 'that's not how roads work' for a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

You say there's no great quotes but I'm gonna be remembering 'that's not how roads work' for a very long time

"The man who walked while a little chilly"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

I already can't remember what this line is from and I've watched each episode 3 times :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sab669 posted:

I already can't remember what this line is from and I've watched each episode 3 times :)

It's Mat's response when Rand says all roads lead to Tar Valon :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Xotl posted:

- That Two Rivers bow didn't seem all that impressive.

I thought so too, but they probably just don't want to deal with maneuvering a 6' chunk of wood around when, to my memory, it was never even drawn in the first 3 eps (haven't watched #4 yet). Also Rand ruined his bowstring jumping into the river outside Shadar Logoth anyway.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Rarity posted:

I did get a good chuckle at that, yeah.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I don't understand why you think the intro credits are derivative of GoT?

GoT: a map showing specific locations we'd be at for the episode, no voices used in the song.

WoT: a loom weaving together a tapestry of people, no maps. Voices used in the song.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I thought so too, but they probably just don't want to deal with maneuvering a 6' chunk of wood around when, to my memory, it was never even drawn in the first 3 eps (haven't watched #4 yet). Also Rand ruined his bowstring jumping into the river outside Shadar Logoth anyway.

Yea, filming with an actual longbow would be annoying as gently caress. And it was drawn, actually in the first episode.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

th3t00t posted:

GoT: a map showing specific locations we'd be at for the episode, no voices used in the song.

WoT: a loom weaving together a tapestry of people, no maps. Voices used in the song.

If you replace the detailed weaving scenes with the little town building scenes and the final shot pulling away to reveal the woven image with the final map of Westeros + the moon and ring thing sweeping over it, I can see the comparison.

Not that I agree, but I can see it.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

th3t00t posted:

Just in broad stylistic terms. Derivative, not a direct copy or anything, mostly in the sense of the broad swooping about and physical construction of key thematic bits as the credits roll. In any case, it's not a particularly big deal; I'd be more surprised if it wasn't influenced by GoT in some way.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I had someone tell me that Wheel of Time is ripped off of Game of Thrones and just lol

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It's funny in that it's obviously backwards, and yet over and above the fact that you have an actual GoT writer on this show, GoT being one of the greatest successes in TV history, so recent, and in the same general genre means that this show is going to fall in its shadow constantly. There will be derivations, unconscious copying, and deliberate reactions to/against it. Beyond Bezos stating that he wants his own GoT as the impetus for this show, I wonder just how many of those 11,000 corporate notes were about GoT in some way.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 1, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Xotl posted:

It's funny in that it's obviously backwards, and yet over and above the fact that you have an actual GoT writer on this show, GoT being one of the greatest successes in TV history, so recent, and in the same general genre means that this show is going to fall in its shadow constantly. There will be derivations, unconscious copying, and deliberate reactions to/against it. Beyond Bezos stating that he wants his own GoT as the impetus for this show, I wonder just how many of those 11,000 corporate notes were about GoT in some way.

10,999 of the notes were just quotes from the books where Jordan mentioned breasts.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dr. Clockwork posted:

10,999 of the notes were just quotes from the books where Jordan mentioned breasts.

"Bosom not formidable enough!!! - Jeff"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

"Bosom not formidable enough!!! - Jeff"

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

You may want to spoiler tag this. There are a variety of book spoilers to various degrees hidden there, most notably some about the Dragon's identity.

Also, it is worth noting there is another show thread in the book barn where spoilers are allowed.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I'm hoping that like GoT, the intro is updated for each season, have the Pattern weave a new tapestry that is relevant for that season. It was a genius touch in GoT to use the intro as a way of providing world building at the same time as hype music/animation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm hoping that like GoT, the intro is updated for each season, have the Pattern weave a new tapestry that is relevant for that season. It was a genius touch in GoT to use the intro as a way of providing world building at the same time as hype music/animation.

Yea, there's been lots of really great things done with the opening sequences of shows. Babylon 5's intros were pretty stand out for that. I still get chills when I hear the season 3 intro.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

GoT's was per episode, IIRC. It mapped out the locations that episode took place in.

At first I thought this show was gonna weave images of the episode's characters, but I guess it would largely just be the Brady Bunch Two Rivers Folk every time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

GoT's was per episode, IIRC. It mapped out the locations that episode took place in.

At first I thought this show was gonna weave images of the episode's characters, but I guess it would largely just be the Brady Bunch Two Rivers Folk every time

Yeah, it was an absolutely genius way to remind viewers where everything was in a show with a lot of important locations.

I'm really hoping we get a bunch of new maps as a result of the show since I've always felt like the existing ones were low quality and cheap

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, it was an absolutely genius way to remind viewers where everything was in a show with a lot of important locations.

I'm really hoping we get a bunch of new maps as a result of the show since I've always felt like the existing ones were low quality and cheap

Yea, I really hate the one that amazon has right now. Not only does it not show enough info, it's just poorly made.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Xotl posted:

Just watched the first four episodes with my wife, and we decided to stick with it.

- Intro/credits is derivative of GoT broadly, but the weaving metaphor is a nice touch and the visuals are quite striking.
- The Moraine opening was clumsy. Either the Foretelling or the original prologue would have been far better. At least it was quick; "momentum" in general seems to be a thing they were going for. I hope it slows down once in a while and gives things time to breathe.
- Emond's Field was strangely jumbled ethnically for a place that's been an isolated, provincial backwater for 2,000 years, so far off the beaten path that the yearly trader visit ("omg an outsider!") is the cause of excitement. It was nice that everyone in the show wasn't white, since Jordan always went out of his way to emphasize how mixed the world as a whole was, but I would have preferred if they were consistent in the village: all SE Asian, all black, whatever. Admittedly a quibble, along with fantasy English accents for all.
- That Two Rivers bow didn't seem all that impressive.
- The post-apocalyptic window dressing is nice.
- They've removed most of what makes Nynaeve annoying, which has also served to make her a bit more bland. Overall I think it's an improvement, even if I wish she was a bit more thorny.
- Where is Moraine getting rumours of Ta'veren in the equivalent of Boise Idaho from that would cause her to divert to such an out of the way place on her quest, especially since no one actually in Boise seems to have any idea that it's the case because nothing is happening there along those lines? It's lazy writing for the sake of convenience and I hope not a sign of things to come.
- I enjoyed Dana's motivation for being a Darkfriend; it felt pretty rooted in her and her place, even if it's the reasoning of another as we learn later.
- Matt staring at the shadow and saying "I see you..." was a great bit. I like Matt in general here. (As an aside, his finding a dagger in Shadar Logoth makes me wonder who actually looted a demonic hellhole like that, since the place seems stripped to the bone; certainly it wasn't the place itself, which doesn't seem to touch non-organics.)

The changes made so far vs the books seem solid to me. Making the Dragon possibly male or female is a simple expedient to enlarge the potential number of candidates and thus keep non-book watchers guessing; the writing is clearly leaning into throwing out red herrings on this and generally making the mystery a bigger deal than any book reader would expect. Perrin having a wife and killing her was an interesting choice rather than just making him have the motivation out of general personality characteristic reasons. More screentime to Logain makes sense in that he'll be easier to remember down the road vs. having him showing up however many episodes or seasons later and being only supported by a "hey, remember that false Dragon dude we briefly mentioned as being captured offscreen at the show's beginning?". No ageless Aes Sedai is not surprising, considering what a pain in the rear end that would have been to implement. Making the cast older changes the overall tone and allows them to have more capable actors. And so on. The only thing I miss is Thom's fabulous moustaches; I expected some serious Sam Elliott energy. Give the guy some facial hair you cowards.

My biggest complaint is that the show generally lacks good dialogue. It's serviceable, but not memorable, and some of the bits are outright clunky. It moves, but it doesn't sing: people won't be quoting this show, making a lot of memes of it, etc to the same degree. People talk about GoT actors like Peter Dinklage and how good they were, but a lot of what made characters like that memorable were not the actors (as good as they often were) but the lines put in their mouths or the story beats surrounding them. WoT looks to have the story beats, but not the lines. Mostly I hope they hire better writers to give people some memorable dialogue. Jordan was not the same calibre of writer as Martin in that regard, and so writers have less to draw off of.

Glad you'll stick with it, but two things. The ethnic thing is weird you're bringing up. We've talked about this a fair amount, post future, post everyone sleeping with everyone in previous ages and different cultures so everyone looking different like a modern city is in fact great.

Your comment about dialogue is also weird. We're four episodes in. All the actors of the main are good to great, and it's such a big world, it's really only episode 4 where we're getting to have a lot of dialogue scenes that aren't info dumps (something most people agree they've done a good job of world building). Thrones took a solid two three seasons before it was super popular, and I don't think it was till season 4 or 5 where it got HUGE. And we've already got the show trending on twitter the night it drops, and "like a raging sun" is being quoted a fair amount.

General writing comment. (Screen writing was for a time my main career path/goal, and I have family in the industry, I've switched for money reasons to mostly fiction). Dave Hill probably wrote 90% of the episode. The way the show runner is talking in interviews, I'm thinking he's not heavily, heavily rewriting the episodes, but in general, writers are given an ep, they write a draft, get notes, write another draft, and then the show runner will do a polish (number of drafts/notes depend heavily on the culture the room, how many episodes in the season, experience of writers and so on). Considering how experienced Dave Hill is, (and if you look at his thrones episodes they're general considered good to great) my guess is he's one of the senior writers, versus a "fresh hire". That's just a guess though.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 2, 2021

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

LionArcher posted:

Glad you'll stick with it, but two things. The ethnic thing is weird you're bringing up. We've talked about this a fair amount, post future, post everyone sleeping with everyone in previous ages and different cultures so everyone looking different like a modern city is in fact great.

In a city or some other place along major trade routes that's reasonable. There's nothing "weird" about pointing out that in an extremely isolated out-of-the-way village with a small population where nothing much has happened for a couple of millennia, I'd expect homogenization to have taken place. Modern cities look the way they do because they have large and fairly recent influxes of immigration, which occurs for compelling reasons. I don't want to get too much into this as it's a book point more than a show point, however.

quote:

Your comment about dialogue is also weird. We're four episodes in. All the actors of the main are good to great, and it's such a big world, it's really only episode 4 where we're getting to have a lot of dialogue scenes that aren't info dumps (something most people agree they've done a good job of world building). Thrones took a solid two three seasons before it was super popular, and I don't think it was till season 4 or 5 where it got HUGE. And we've already got the show trending on twitter the night it drops, and "like a raging sun" is being quoted a fair amount.

I also don't think there's anything weird about saying that the writing isn't much of a stand-out at this point. Certainly there's been shows that have opened strong and shown they have a strong writing bench available. All the same, it's definitely fair to say that it is quite early and that the show might better settle into something like that as the writers mature, new blood comes in, or whatever. So I'm still leaving room to be surprised here even as the CVs of the writing staff right now don't give me a lot of hope for anything more than functional and competent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xotl posted:

In a city or some other place along major trade routes that's reasonable. There's nothing "weird" about pointing out that in an extremely isolated out-of-the-way village with a small population where nothing much has happened for a couple of millennia, I'd expect homogenization to have taken place. Modern cities look the way they do because they have large and fairly recent influxes of immigration, which occurs for compelling reasons. I don't want to get too much into this as it's a book point more than a show point, however.

I came across something that addressed this recently but I forget where. The basic argument was that if you adjust to the fall of Manetheren rather than the breaking, and account for number of generations, it turns out homogenization like that actually takes longer than you'd think, and it isn't actually *that* unreasonable for the two rivers to have as much variation as they do.

Plus, while the Two Rivers is somewhat of a backwater, there is some degree of migration and emigration / immigration and trade, at least if we're going by the books, but well, that's a discussion for the book thread.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I came across something that addressed this recently but I forget where.

I'd definitely like to read this if you find it but yeah, post it in the other thread so we're not bogging down this one. Thanks.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The books do mention several times that there is a Two Rivers look about the people.

The TV show isn't going for genetic realism though, lots of that stuff is going to be left out for various reasons: cost, actor availability, inclusively, general representation. I'd personally rather have good actors. Though if Bran were slavic, his wife afrocaribean and Egwene were Japanese it would be hilarious for the social media meltdowns alone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's kind of the thing. The culture is very homogeneous, all the women are wearing either dresses or the whole pant suit with robe thing that I don't know the name of. Everything's made of wool or sheepskin. There's not a great ostentatious display of jewelry. They all celebrate the same holiday. Everyone seems to understand the significance of The women's circle ritual. So in all the plot relevant ways it's pretty much as you would expect. Also if the main looks the way they do, but all the extras are white people, that would probably look a little weirder

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, the simple fact of "find a pile of skilled actors from the same general pool with a good command of English" is going to mitigate against anything along those lines no matter what you want to do, unless you want a completely white cast.

In terms of the accents, I always remember how fascinating I found B5's Delenn and Mila Furlan's Croatian accent. It would be great to have more of that, to have variety in speech as well as appearance. But as the crew travels to increasingly far away lands maybe we'll see some of that. To some degree though you can run into the same problem as trying to cast for a singular ethnicity: try to find a large enough pool of qualified actors with the same general accent on their English to accurately depict a region and get a better "foreign" feel. Has there been a recent fantasy/SF show that's pulled that off?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just cast all Welsh as Aiel and subtitle them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What Rafe has said about accents is that so far at least they're just going with the accents the lead actors have in their regions. So for example everyone in Ghealdan is Spanish now because they cast Alvaro Morte as Logain. At least so far it seems like a decent compromise between actor availability and depicting different regions, but we'll see how it works out over time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xotl posted:

It would be great to have more of that, to have variety in speech as well as appearance. But as the crew travels to increasingly far away lands maybe we'll see some of that. To some degree though you can run into the same problem as trying to cast for a singular ethnicity: try to find a large enough pool of qualified actors with the same general accent on their English to accurately depict a region and get a better "foreign" feel. Has there been a recent fantasy/SF show that's pulled that off?

Yeah, seems like they're going broadly cast in-world nationalities based on the primary characters viewers know (with a lot of fudging here and there).

Like Ghealdan can be generally Spain pretty easily, but also I bet if they really like a particular actor and they don't sound like Álvaro Morte, no one's gonna be too worried.

edit: beaten

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i must have missed it if there were people whiter than Mat in the two rivers. everyone seemed to have dark hair and eyes. which is consistent with how the b**k describes two rivers folk. perrins brooks brothers shirts are much more distracting to me. i do agree that the dialogue is suffering from trying to have its feet in two worlds. i don't want to hear shite or prick for the rest of the season.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LionArcher posted:

I'd find it weirder to imply that quotable dialogue is the hallmark of good writing anyway. A lot of people quote the awful dialogue in things like The Room, which is because it's memorable, not because it's good. Good exposition can be just as important as memorable quotes; good or bad. And I'd say the show is doing well in that regard. I also find some of the show's more functionary dialogue well written, like Liandran's "you make it filthy" when confronting the male channeler in the first episode. It's not quotable, and a lot of it is in her delivery, but the line itself is still good regardless.

I'd also add that I think that Ila's speech to Perrin about revenge is definitely quotable; "what better revenge against violence than peace; what better revenge against death than life". In fact, her whole monologue about her daughter was good. Again, definitely elevated by the actress, but still well written as well. I'd think Nynaeve's "a lapdop on two legs" is a good burn too. The Manetheren quote was nice as well. "We shall go into the land so our children can always hold us, and will never be alone". A lot of dialogue in episode 4 is good, basically. At least in my opinion.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Don't forget Thom's "nothing is more dangerous than a man that knows the past"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

- Emond's Field was strangely jumbled ethnically

ooooh boy

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MegaZeroX posted:

Don't forget Thom's "nothing is more dangerous than a man that knows the past"

Typical bard talk.

If you look closely at the episode, you'll notice that it is in fact throwing daggers to the neck, that are the most dangerous part of the Thom.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

adhuin posted:

Typical bard talk.

If you look closely at the episode, you'll notice that it is in fact throwing daggers to the neck, that are the most dangerous part of the Thom.

He learned how to throw daggers from the past.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Xotl posted:

My biggest complaint is that the show generally lacks good dialogue. It's serviceable, but not memorable, and some of the bits are outright clunky. It moves, but it doesn't sing: people won't be quoting this show, making a lot of memes of it, etc to the same degree. People talk about GoT actors like Peter Dinklage and how good they were, but a lot of what made characters like that memorable were not the actors (as good as they often were) but the lines put in their mouths or the story beats surrounding them. WoT looks to have the story beats, but not the lines. Mostly I hope they hire better writers to give people some memorable dialogue. Jordan was not the same calibre of writer as Martin in that regard, and so writers have less to draw off of.

Disagree, here. Jordan wasn't any worse at dialogue than Martin.

However, Martin spent many years writing for TV, specifically soap operas. It shows a lot in his writing (dramatic cliffhangers, characters returning from the dead, drama cranked to 11, etc.) and it influences the hell out of his dialogue. He knows how to craft a line that pops on screen because the majority of his pre-GoT writing was TV screenwriting.

Being able to write catchy lines isn't necessarily writing good dialogue, though.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

th3t00t posted:

The Expanse intro is more like GoT. This show reminds me of Black Sails https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tsob posted:

I'd find it weirder to imply that quotable dialogue is the hallmark of good writing anyway. A lot of people quote the awful dialogue in things like The Room, which is because it's memorable, not because it's good. Good exposition can be just as important as memorable quotes; good or bad. And I'd say the show is doing well in that regard. I also find some of the show's more functionary dialogue well written, like Liandran's "you make it filthy" when confronting the male channeler in the first episode. It's not quotable, and a lot of it is in her delivery, but the line itself is still good regardless.

I'd also add that I think that Ila's speech to Perrin about revenge is definitely quotable; "what better revenge against violence than peace; what better revenge against death than life". In fact, her whole monologue about her daughter was good. Again, definitely elevated by the actress, but still well written as well. I'd think Nynaeve's "a lapdop on two legs" is a good burn too. The Manetheren quote was nice as well. "We shall go into the land so our children can always hold us, and will never be alone". A lot of dialogue in episode 4 is good, basically. At least in my opinion.

Actually yes, all of this. What’s standing out is that it isn’t doing that usual marvel bullshit of dialogue quips and actually feels like real people who would say this poo poo.