Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i could live entirely on yukgaejang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
and I, kimchi

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
and cum

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SerCypher posted:

Well, someone's not afraid to tell the CCP to go gently caress itself.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1466123626701275140

Wow, the WTA is just openly a CIA front now.

Also, loving good on them for going this far to try and keep their people safe. Not many organisations can say the same.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, loving good on them for going this far to try and keep their people safe. Not many organisations can say the same.

Including the CIA! :rimshot:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Posting on the unlucky page.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Smeef posted:

Including the CIA! :rimshot:

Especially not in China lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Those things are gross as hell. Always funny when I see people drooling over a pic of them, or people who haven't been to Korea talking about the videos and that Korea looks like it has the best street food in the world. If only you poor fools knew.

Don't you dare tell me Korean street food is poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

theres street food for the insta and theres street food thats actually good to eat

overlap is quite weak for that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whilst YAY for the WTA standing up to China. And YAY for them being legitimately concerned for the wellbeing, safety and freedom of it's members.

I am more impressed with the WTA making a threat that will actually affect China, (both financially in losing the money those tournaments bring in, and in international standing/face by not having those tournaments), and following through.

I mean worst case scenario, the CCP chucks its usual tantrum and the WTA caves, (and Peng Shuai continues "resting" at home out of sight whilst ehr rapist remains free). But there is also the possibility that the WTA can actually have an effect on the CCP and their bullying and oppression. Which can only be a good thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There are a few good things but most of it is garbage, sorry to disappoint. Super sweet stuff fried six hours ago and festering ever since.

In winter I do stop at nearly every hotteok lady I see. Then there's stuff like tteokbokki which varies wildly and you just have to try different places to find a good one.

But all that poo poo that gets viral video'd is trash. Toast shop stuff sucks. If you go to Korea and want good street food go grubbing around the oldest neighborhoods and markets you can find for a stand that looks like it's been there a century and was cleaned about as often. There you might find something worth eating. Maybe.

E: Also don't forget that Korea is one of the world's drunkest countries so a lot of the "uh, why is this" stuff makes more sense when you remember you're supposed to be 20 bottles of soju deep at that point.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 2, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

McGavin posted:

Posting on the unlucky page.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a few good things but most of it is garbage, sorry to disappoint. Super sweet stuff fried six hours ago and festering ever since.

In winter I do stop at nearly every hotteok lady I see. Then there's stuff like tteokbokki which varies wildly and you just have to try different places to find a good one.

But all that poo poo that gets viral video'd is trash. Toast shop stuff sucks. If you go to Korea and want good street food go grubbing around the oldest neighborhoods and markets you can find for a stand that looks like it's been there a century and was cleaned about as often. There you might find something worth eating. Maybe.

E: Also don't forget that Korea is one of the world's drunkest countries so a lot of the "uh, why is this" stuff makes more sense when you remember you're supposed to be 20 bottles of soju deep at that point.

Noooooooooooo :qq:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Picked up a box at Coles today. I'll give 'em a test run tomorrow and see what all the fuss is about.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i like those twitsty fried potatoes. i think those are from korea.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Are you telling me that garlic toast covered in a way too much butter butter is bad?? I find that hard to believe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rahu posted:

Are you telling me that garlic toast covered in a way too much butter butter is bad?? I find that hard to believe.

Sounds like bullshit if you ask me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Gotta say I was not disappointed in the street food in Vietnam ijs

Got a big f off jug of fresh passion fruit juice for like 20 cents. It was amazing

Also the Anthony Bourdain banh mi was like 2.50 with a drink and literally the best banh mi I've ever had in my life. Dude wasn't kidding

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never got to Vietnam but SE Asia's street food game is on point. Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia were all great. I really hope they resist the urge to destroy it like so many other places have.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

thinkin back to like december 2019 when the shanghai city gov said theyd be more lenient on street vendors in 2020......

never happened for some reason!!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
There's some sort of Kuznets Curve of street food where you go from no edible food, to amazing street food and wet markets everywhere, to shoving it all into commercialized and factory-made food, and then to stuff like food trucks and fancy farmers markets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And there's Singapore, which got rid of street food on the actual street but put it into hawker centers without otherwise loving it up. Which, I still prefer actual street street food but the hawker center solution is way better than just yeeting it all.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

And there's Singapore, which got rid of street food on the actual street but put it into hawker centers without otherwise loving it up. Which, I still prefer actual street street food but the hawker center solution is way better than just yeeting it all.

Thailand has kinda gone in this direction. It's sad how much less street food there is now. I guess Hong Kong also went this way, but the cooked food centers in the wet market tend to be pretty horrible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its miserable to exist outside in spore, hk and much of thailand, tho. altho it's also miserable to exist outside in korea 3/4 the year

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ailumao posted:

thinkin back to like december 2019 when the shanghai city gov said theyd be more lenient on street vendors in 2020......

never happened for some reason!!

I miss Fuzhou for this exact reason. Nothing like stepping out of a bar, drunk as hell, only to wander down old street to buy some Dumplings or egg noodles at 4am. Good times.

Now, I live in Beijing, where the powers that be have ensured that the city is as sterile as possible. No street food, but Tons of overpriced hot pot places.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its miserable to exist outside in spore, hk and much of thailand, tho. altho it's also miserable to exist outside in korea 3/4 the year

That said, all the Singapore hawker centres I can think of are just covered but open, not airconned.

E: 2am turbodrunk old-lady reganmein in the desperate hope it’ll make me more able to front up to my 8am factory start the next day is one of my favourite work travel memories.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 2, 2021

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Hot pot: Come to pay 10x more to cook your own food. Stay because the stench gets baked into your clothes, hair, and skin so thoroughly that you never know you left.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

poop and diarrhea themed restaurant.

There's one of those in Toronto, because if there's one thing we're not allergic to, it's bad ideas.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The most sick I've ever been was when I got food poisoning from a chicken skewer at Seoul Station. I didn't know anyone and I had just moved to a new place and I was literally dying like the guy at the end of Last Crusade overnight from dehydration from dry-making GBS threads and dry heaving and was only barely able to survive by dripping water into my mouth drop by drop like an IV because trying to drink any real amount just got puked up instantly. After being awake all night I finally stumbled into a Chinese medicine shop at like 9AM when it opened and showed them the google translate for "food poisoning" and they thought I was just super hungover so they gave me some garbage, a mouthful of little brown balls made of some kind of herb.

Wouldn't change a thing about Korea though

Well except for the part I just mentioned. Duh.

Every time I see some Chinese or Indian street food post on instagram I immediately think sewer grease and that horrible 24 hours where I was like the soul-sucked zombie man from Life Force

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I never got sick from street food in China. The one thing that had a 100% success rate at food poisoning were fancy banquet restaurant meals the school took us to. Every single loving time. Eventually I stopped going, not worth it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mordja posted:

There's one of those in Toronto, because if there's one thing we're not allergic to, it's bad ideas.

There is also a famous restaurant in Taipei that serves food out of toilet bowl shaped bowls, and you sit on toilet shaped seats etc.

The food was nice enough the one time I have been there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Facebook uncovers Chinese network behind fake expert https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59456548

Sichuan Silence is the best band name we've had since Wumao Uncle.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

BrigadierSensible posted:

There is also a famous restaurant in Taipei that serves food out of toilet bowl shaped bowls, and you sit on toilet shaped seats etc.

The food was nice enough the one time I have been there.

Sadly I think this closed due to covid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

Facebook uncovers Chinese network behind fake expert https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59456548

Sichuan Silence is the best band name we've had since Wumao Uncle.

Lol "Wilson Edwards" is such an :effort: white guy name with zero attention paid to his supposed nationality.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Lol "Wilson Edwards" is such an :effort: white guy name with zero attention paid to his supposed nationality.

At least both names are spelled correctly unlike some of the knockoff luxury brands with names like Jhon Christain.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Smeef posted:

Thailand has kinda gone in this direction. It's sad how much less street food there is now. I guess Hong Kong also went this way, but the cooked food centers in the wet market tend to be pretty horrible.

Ah, so is that why you don't have a pork bun in your hand?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

There is pizza corn in Taiwan, along with an absolutely terrible boba pizza that pizza hut does.

I also saw this in a supermarket a couple weeks ago and posted it in PYF bad food.

lol actually had the non-shrimp version of this yesterday because they were on sale at the market.

About as much as you can expect from a microwave pizza.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Ah, so is that why you don't have a pork bun in your hand?

If you mean a Macanese pork chop bun, though I love them, it is sadly hard to find a good one in Hong Kong.

If you mean a char siu bao, I don't have one in my hand because I already have a half dozen in my belly and pretty much eat them nonstop.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nam Taf posted:

That said, all the Singapore hawker centres I can think of are just covered but open, not airconned.

E: 2am turbodrunk old-lady reganmein in the desperate hope it’ll make me more able to front up to my 8am factory start the next day is one of my favourite work travel memories.

they got some in bugis and other places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

The most sick I've ever been was when I got food poisoning from a chicken skewer at Seoul Station. I didn't know anyone and I had just moved to a new place and I was literally dying like the guy at the end of Last Crusade overnight from dehydration from dry-making GBS threads and dry heaving and was only barely able to survive by dripping water into my mouth drop by drop like an IV because trying to drink any real amount just got puked up instantly. After being awake all night I finally stumbled into a Chinese medicine shop at like 9AM when it opened and showed them the google translate for "food poisoning" and they thought I was just super hungover so they gave me some garbage, a mouthful of little brown balls made of some kind of herb.

Similar getting badly messed up by food story, I think I got typhoid from a stall at the university food court in Indonesia. Can't be 100% sure but it was within the timeframe and the whole thing felt dirty while I was eating it and it was Lotek which I'd eaten a million times before. Had the worst fever ever for 2 days, had a doctor diagnose me randomly with appendicitis, refused his emergency surgery offer and then went back the next day and got diagnosed with typhoid and spent 3 days in hospital, it was a good time. The whole experience did leave me wondering how many foreigners get there appendix removed when it's not actually the problem though.