Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
krillin got his HIDDEN POWERS released by the old Namekian guy before he met the Ginyu Force, giving him a bigger powerup than his entire lifetime of training up to that point had

and even after that, he was still only slightly stronger than Nappa was

absolutely no way either Krillin or Yamcha was gonna get all the way up to Frieza-tier strength just by punching the ocean near Master Roshi's island over and over for three years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i guess yamcha never actually states he's going to train for the androids, but i think it's safe to assume he does some training

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

absolutely no way either Krillin or Yamcha was gonna get all the way up to Frieza-tier strength just by punching the ocean near Master Roshi's island over and over for three years

no one ever argued that yamcha was as powerful as frieza.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Krillin strongest human. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurora posted:

i guess yamcha never actually states he's going to train for the androids, but i think it's safe to assume he does some training

Don't we see him in the episode they all separate to go train for the androids at a gym where he just breaks the weight lifting equipment and then says he'll have to find another way to train?

Vizuyos posted:

krillin got his HIDDEN POWERS released by the old Namekian guy before he met the Ginyu Force, giving him a bigger powerup than his entire lifetime of training up to that point had

and even after that, he was still only slightly stronger than Nappa was

Actually they all trained and everyone felt pretty confident of fighting someone on Freeza's level or more. Yo! Son Goku and Friends has basically everyone laughing from that tier of villain and drawing lots to see who gets to fight them. And that's after years of slacking off for krillin.

Even Roshi's like "Yeah I could get in there and have some fun."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
On the other hand Beerus looks at base Goku in BoG and says 'Someone like you couldn't have handled Freeza. What's the deal?'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

On the other hand Beerus looks at base Goku in BoG and says 'Someone like you couldn't have handled Freeza. What's the deal?'

Everyone in the normal gang is basically constantly keeping their power down. Like the whole deal throughout everything up to Freeza is the enemy getting surprised by just how much they go from Farmer (Shotgun) to the fight lords they are.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't we see him in the episode they all separate to go train for the androids at a gym where he just breaks the weight lifting equipment and then says he'll have to find another way to train?

for the purposes of most arguments like this i tend to ignore anything the dbz anime shows. it cuts straight from them at goku's pod to krillin showing up at roshi's, vegeta training, and goku and piccolo training gohan to them all meeting up at the city 3 years later

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Yamcha sucks and cant train for poo poo, I doubt he ever got stronger than Dodoria.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Darko posted:

No, he's not Saiyan. He has to put his ki up to actively block things.

So basically, yes but only if he's paying attention.

Actually that might add up with Launch. Did she ever shoot anyone who wasn't paying attention?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone on another forum has been going through all the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z episodes. And through going back through everything revealed a lot more consistency throughout the series, particularly in fighting styles and other interesting details. Like during Dragon Ball all the main fighters had a pretty consistent fighting style. Goku is a counter fighter who analyzed what his opponents could do exploited their weaknesses and brought them down. Krillin is a tricky and deceitful fighter who tends to feign weakness to catch others off guard. Yamcha is a super aggressive fighter who tends to be light on defence. Tenshinhan was the original Vegeta in warrior pride (It came to attention that Vegeta outright stole Ten’s personality after the Freeza arc ended) in terms of combat he was the weird fighter constantly creating and using strange new moves to give himself an advantage. The Piccolo Jr fight was a bit of a final exam boss as Piccolo’s style was best of everything. He was Tricky like Krillin, had strange had to adapt to moves like Tenshinhan, and was aggressive like Yamcha, but had very few of their weaknesses.

Also some people at Toei really like Yamcha and were not fond of Krillin. Toei constantly gave Yamcha extra screen time and treated him as the overall leader of the Martial artist group. It got to the point where Yamcha and Ten were even portrayed as cool equal rivals, and Krillin and Chaotzu were their sidekicks. They even cut their power levels being mentioned because Yamaha’s was lower then Krillin’s. Then when they showed up at Kami’s were presented as much more powerful and got cool scenes together while Krillin bumbled.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Toei sucks poo poo and they were afraid of the bald one who would go on to also be king of the pirates.

:colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, I guess Yamcha looks cooler than Krillin so I can see why you’d latch on to him if you could just animate your own fabricated version of events but Yamcha just eats poo poo a lot and peaked at his intro before just getting clowned on. I’m glad they wised up by Super at least.

Incidentally, what’s everyone’s favorite Yamcha moment? The Yamcha hole is iconic, and there is, of course, Yamcha Hole 2: Super, but my personal favorite is when God heatbutted him in the dick.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i like genuine yamcha moments, like spirit ball

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I like Yamcha Hole 2: Super because it is both Yamcha getting owned AND Yamcha being awesome. The crossfire from that fight could have killed a universe, but Yamcha made it to base alive.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
I liked when Yamcha fought Tenshinhan at the tournament because even though he gets his limbs broken Wolf Hurricane absolutely slaps

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zedd posted:

A normal human has a top end power level of 5, I know they stopped with the numbers (for good reasons) but even Yamcha is likely in the millions at this point.
Goku doesn't want to know his Power Level cause that would require to learn numbers.

I feel like I remember it being said that base Goku is probably not comparable to Frieza's full power on Namek yet. If that's true, I kinda doubt that.

pik_d posted:

Who the gently caress is talking poo poo about Pikkon

Mistare Fusion. :v:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

My Latino blood woke me up because someone mentioned something about Saint Seiya?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

My Latino blood woke me up because someone mentioned something about Saint Seiya?

It’s pretty rad, I started watching it on Netflix cause they’re taking it down soon and i feel kinda ripped off that it was too “weird and Japanese” for my childhood.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeah It's great. Too bad most americans don't really give it a chance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf it’s more that afaik it was never released officially period until like a year or two ago when Netflix just up and licensed the first series (or at least a shitton of it) to coincide with the live action series they made.

I knew of it as a weeb since it comes up in the context of being the ACTUAL source of a lot of iconic Shonen stuff like tournament arcs and Power of Friendship moments, but it’s kinda just another casualty of being from the era where in the States anime and anime-influenced things like the original art for the Dragon Quest series was seen as a bad thing, weird as it is to say now. God i feel old.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

all of earth's special forces are way loving cooler than vegeta i m o

vegeta rules but i love them earth boys

excep chiaotzu i can't get over his deal is he a child or a ghost or what

the part where bulma breaks down thinking about yamcha's death post saiyan saga is probably one of the heavier moments in dbz
like that entire epilogue is so strong in the scope of how much poo poo the dragonball cast had been through, esp. given how yamcha was a core character longer than even krillin.
he's literally the secondary protagonist! like, almost all the character development in dragonball is through him lmao

edit:
thinking about it, has dragonball super even had a single time where the stakes were as high as the saiyan saga? or any time the cast got absolutely destroyed like that? the reduction of viable fighters really has made it so it's just vegeta eating dirt forever now, lol

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 2, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dragon Ball has been a bizarre study in seeing the human characters peak in Dragon Ball, fall into age and other things in life during Z and Super, all while they watch their alien friend Goku only just NOW entering the peak of his prime since Saiyans age like half the rate humans do

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aurora posted:

looks at goku getting shot in super

Yeah it bruises him slightly just like it did as a child when he couldn't control his ki. Pretty consistent.

Only time it wasn't consistent was the Lunch gag, but outside kf that, the rule is that Saiyans are naturally durable and strong, humans enhance themselves with ki or cybernetics to try and catch up, but are normal when not using ki.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fereydun posted:

wasn't buu saga yamcha loving up the otherworld competitors that were beating the poo poo out of post cell saga ssj2 goku

he wasnt ssj2 yet iirc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Someone on another forum has been going through all the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z episodes. And through going back through everything revealed a lot more consistency throughout the series, particularly in fighting styles and other interesting details. Like during Dragon Ball all the main fighters had a pretty consistent fighting style. Goku is a counter fighter who analyzed what his opponents could do exploited their weaknesses and brought them down. Krillin is a tricky and deceitful fighter who tends to feign weakness to catch others off guard. Yamcha is a super aggressive fighter who tends to be light on defence. Tenshinhan was the original Vegeta in warrior pride (It came to attention that Vegeta outright stole Ten’s personality after the Freeza arc ended) in terms of combat he was the weird fighter constantly creating and using strange new moves to give himself an advantage. The Piccolo Jr fight was a bit of a final exam boss as Piccolo’s style was best of everything. He was Tricky like Krillin, had strange had to adapt to moves like Tenshinhan, and was aggressive like Yamcha, but had very few of their weaknesses.

Also some people at Toei really like Yamcha and were not fond of Krillin. Toei constantly gave Yamcha extra screen time and treated him as the overall leader of the Martial artist group. It got to the point where Yamcha and Ten were even portrayed as cool equal rivals, and Krillin and Chaotzu were their sidekicks. They even cut their power levels being mentioned because Yamaha’s was lower then Krillin’s. Then when they showed up at Kami’s were presented as much more powerful and got cool scenes together while Krillin bumbled.

I think it's because you had that dude at Toei that liked the big strong muscle characters which is why Broly and movie 7 final boss and pirate man and so on were all big strong muscle final bosses. Whereas Toriyama loved making the strongest versions of everything smaller, even when it comes to final transformations.

Vegeta was stronger than Nappa, Freezas final form is smaller than his others, Perfect Cell is smaller than semi perfect, Kid Buu is possibly the weakest but also most dangerous, etc.

As compared to Cooler getting bigger, fused android being swole, Broly, obviously, Captain Pirate being the leader and not the small guy, then a lot more Broly.

So the same dude or people just saw Krillen as the weakest and Tenshinhan as the strongest, so any filler just countered what was literally written right before in the manga.

Krillen got mad and killed multiple Nappas at once after Yamcha got blown up by one Nappa. He got boosted by Guru when everyone else was apparently learning nothing . When he bothered to train, he was training with someone way more powerful than Freeza in his wife while Yamcha was playing baseball and Tenshinhan was training with clown ghost and so on. So of course he outperforms the "bigger" dudes. Toei guy just didn't like it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

Krillen got mad and killed multiple Nappas at once after Yamcha got blown up by one Nappa.

Raditzes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yamcha appears to have stopped getting his favouring after he died.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yamcha appears to have stopped getting his favouring after he died.

There's really no coming back from your death becoming the biggest injoke that it transcends any language barrier.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yamcha died to the underlings of Vegeta's underling, with Vegeta being Frieza's underling. And then he almost died again to the weakest Androids in his next outing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Whoops yeah

And yeah, who people died to makes a difference. Krillen died to Piccolo underling way back when back when he was weaker than Tenshinhan, but in Z, he died to Freeza himself and Buu and survived the entire Vegeta fight and contributed as well as all of Namek. Instead of dying to a green Radditz and Nappa.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Kienzan/Destructo Disk is still the coolest technique that never works.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think Toriyama made every enemy post Freeza regenerate just because of that. I mean...it worked on Freeza...multiple times, and it was truly unblockable throughout, so he just made it so chopping people up didn't kill them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

It cut Nappa's cheek, cut off Freeza's tail and Freeza himself (after he shamelessly copied it)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darko posted:

I think Toriyama made every enemy post Freeza regenerate just because of that. I mean...it worked on Freeza...multiple times, and it was truly unblockable throughout, so he just made it so chopping people up didn't kill them.

I mean outside filler the destructor disk completely disappears post Frieza.

Least I think it was filler

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean outside filler the destructor disk completely disappears post Frieza.

Least I think it was filler

Mighty Mask. Which is hilarious that 18 pulled that out on two kids just to get them to stop.

Also Goku cuts Super Buu in half with one.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

His mini-kienzan barrage to trick Jiren off the stage was amazing

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I feel like I remember it being said that base Goku is probably not comparable to Frieza's full power on Namek yet. If that's true, I kinda doubt that.

Mistare Fusion. :v:

Frieza is at like 120mil on namek iirc so yamcha could have a mil or 2.

In the end it doesn't matter though but it's a fun thought.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't care what the numbers say, I just straight up do not believe Yamcha or Krillin at any point in their lives could have thrown down with Frieza any time past his first form (kienzan hijinks excepted), they're just not those guys in the narrative and thinking about Yamcha having the power to trivially destroy planets is just kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

I don't care what the numbers say, I just straight up do not believe Yamcha or Krillin at any point in their lives could have thrown down with Frieza any time past his first form (kienzan hijinks excepted), they're just not those guys in the narrative and thinking about Yamcha having the power to trivially destroy planets is just kinda funny

Yamcha absolutely has the power to destroy planets. Roshi can blow up the Moon and Saiyan Saga Vegeta could blow up a planet and Yamcha is absolutely stronger than him.

Probably not Cell or Buy easy but "blow up a planet" isn't that impressive in DBZ.