Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
bet that engine right next to your head is awesome

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

LifeSunDeath posted:

WHAT!?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This time he'll catch that roadrunner for sure

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

another weird old device featured in the documentary of old weird poo poo, gizmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0l01o2-X3A&t=2819s

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r3e9a755V11qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r3frwfjQsq1r0uzl6.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How does a snake even get out there? Hitching a ride on a boat? It's gotta be confused as hell

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

you should probably try to get all your new gee-whiz high-tech working as separate systems *before* you integrate them all into one big platform.

That right there reminded me of my time working on the Hanford Nuclear reservation in Washington State. More specifically, the Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant.
It's been under construction since 2002 or so and is (was?) the world's most expensive construction project. It sat at $20 Billion when I worked on over a decade ago, but it's been rebaselined a few times since.
It was initially bid for ~$4B lol and just a few years construction time. I still remember the initial slogan: "Glass in 08!"
I think the low activity stream is supposed to start operating in 2023 but I am not holding my breath.

Anyways, it's a perfect example of putting multiple processes/techniques together that have never been tested/tried at scale before and I can't wait to see it blow up when/if it ever starts operating.
The high-level waste stream in particular has some pre-treatment chemical processes that have only been tested at lab scale, not production. The melters and melt feed chutes are extremely vulnerable to clogging. Those melters are supposed to operate continuously for a couple of years before getting chucked out the back.
Legacy nuclear waste sucks and is really hard to deal with. I've seen multiple small-scale pilot projects that just didn't pan out. How this thing got selected as feasible and reasonable - I will never know.

the design radiation numbers the HLW facility were loving insane. 300 kRad zones with specially hardened cameras behind inches of lead window in building zones that get sealed after construction and never entered again by humans

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 1, 2021

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

And here's the argument against those laws requiring that you slow down to ~20mph when passing a pulled-over emergency vehicle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

`Nemesis posted:

the 2021 failure rate of emals is about 0.5%, so it's a hell of a lot closer to proper reliability than previously. steam is around 0.02%,

I’d be interested in seeing a source for either figure. Last I saw EMALS was averaging 180 cycles between critical failures, and the design requirement was something over 4000 cycles.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

How else are you going to get those sweet lead fumes from that gasoline?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Phanatic posted:

I’d be interested in seeing a source for either figure. Last I saw EMALS was averaging 180 cycles between critical failures, and the design requirement was something over 4000 cycles.

1/180 = 0.55%

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Wikipedia also says that a carrier with four steam catapults will historically have at least one operational 99.5% of the time. Which is not the same as a failure rate of 0.5% per launch, but it gives you an idea of the ballpark.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Phanatic posted:

I'm already beaten to this, but you're basically just repeating his numbers exactly. Both of them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

'0.55% chance of failure per cycle" is not the same thing as "you can expect one failure every 180 cycles." Something that has a 99.45% chance of working each time has only a 37% chance of working 180 times in a row. It has a 50% chance of failing by the time it makes it to 126 cycles. To have a 99% chance of going 180 cycles without a failure, it would need a .0066 chance of failure.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Shut up nerd

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Phanatic posted:

'0.55% chance of failure per cycle" is not the same thing as "you can expect one failure every 180 cycles." Something that has a 99.45% chance of working each time has only a 37% chance of working 180 times in a row. It has a 50% chance of failing by the time it makes it to 126 cycles. To have a 99% chance of going 180 cycles without a failure, it would need a .0066 chance of failure.

.55% fail chance is exactly the same as "you can expect one failure every 180 cycles". Your second sentence, "what is the chance that this particular thing, will work 180 times in a row" is a totally different question.

Consider a coin flip; 50% chance of heads, or roughly, after enough samples, one head every 2 flips. Totally different question from "how many coin flips do I need to have 99% confidence of having at least one heads result".

This sounds like a nerd dickslap fight (and it is), but stuff like Mean Time to Failure relies on these simple statistics.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/e2R4FWC.mp4

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thread title proves itself once again

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Amazon delivery drones are working slightly better than I expected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Thread title proves itself once again

Well, what else can you do if you need to change a light bulb

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just freeze the pool.

Or better yet pour in some quickcrete.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I initially didn't realise this was a series, so just looked at that first one wondering why the hell anyone would do that.

Not in a million years could I have guessed where it was going to go.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Doing this irl as i scroll down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MlaIe1ljs

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

thread titles should be able to embed images.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

They didn't tie off so they wouldn't get dragged under if it flips. Good thinking.

Also the single hardhat to protect the sweet ponytail.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Welcome to our "ool"
Notice that there is no "P"* in it
Please keep it that way

* or scissor lifts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not really bothered by the lift on the pool. Those lifts are bottom heavy af and its in the center of mats that are designed to be difficult to flip over. How else are you going to get up to the ceiling above the pool to do maintenance? They just need to move slow and make sure no jackasses do something to severely disturb the water in the pool.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

And here's the argument against those laws requiring that you slow down to ~20mph when passing a pulled-over emergency vehicle.

classic, total classic!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not really bothered by the lift on the pool. Those lifts are bottom heavy af and its in the center of mats that are designed to be difficult to flip over. How else are you going to get up to the ceiling above the pool to do maintenance? They just need to move slow and make sure no jackasses do something to severely disturb the water in the pool.
Those lifts won't operate if you're on even slightly uneven ground because it's unsafe. I've stood on those floating docks enough to know that my own weight can rock them a fair amount. It feels like a real bad idea.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

instead of doing moron poo poo like that you drain the pool

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

instead of doing moron poo poo like that you drain the pool

Or lower the roof.

Or spend the extra 50 bucks at the rental place to get a boom lift instead of a scissor lift.

Mr. Nice! posted:

C-C-C-CANNONBALL!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

classic, total classic!

ty I'm still back on page 850 and was wondering if anyone all the way up here on 1200 would remember

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I was on top of something similar to that on a much smaller scale. Had to change some light bulbs over a large aquarium tank, we built a raft out of a couple of pontoon floats and put just one layer of scaffolding on it. Used a rope on either end to pull it across while changing the bulbs.

Absolutely impressed by that, scissor lifts scare the poo poo out of me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tiny (spoiler alert he’s huge) is gonna do a cannonball to gently caress with the new guy.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
How did they move it to the middle of the pool? I don't see any ropes, did they just raise it and pull themselves along the rafters?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Trolling motor

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Trolling motor

"Hey BigHead, I wrote a book titled How To Avoid Ur Mom! Heyoo!" - a motor, trolling.

My scissor lift pool boat didn't move guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marcade posted:

The only thing worse than pencil lead to a spacecraft is a cat. A little nibble here, a little nibble there, and you're flying backwards.

Yet, they used a pencil to demonstrate this.