Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

:sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

:trumppop:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lol incredible

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

99% of these are dumb poo poo, but when they land like this one just lol

:master:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

My favorite part of Joderowsky's dune documentary is when he says that he had never read the book before deciding to work on the project.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wow, that first draft of Lynch Dune breaks off even earlier than Villeneuve. But hey, they fit the dinner party in!

Also, I hope the little backstory explaining cards they passed out at the premiere explained that Rabban’s gross bug juicebox is canonically called a squood

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

squood

this will come in use for the future of this thread

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Wow, that first draft of Lynch Dune breaks off even earlier than Villeneuve. But hey, they fit the dinner party in!

Also, I hope the little backstory explaining cards they passed out at the premiere explained that Rabban’s gross bug juicebox is canonically called a squood
It makes some kind of sense, because I think there's a mention - possibly by Francesca Annis - that it was supposed to be either two or three movies?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

chillin w the boys

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Squished food. Squood. Checks out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It makes some kind of sense, because I think there's a mention - possibly by Francesca Annis - that it was supposed to be either two or three movies?

I think at the first draft stage they were basically trying to see how far they could get in 120 pages without adding or cutting anything much. The second draft (the first one Lynch worked on) has pacing much more like the finished movie and in general seems much more realistic about how much movie they were gonna get to make.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

squood

this will come in use for the future of this thread

squood (living food).

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

shields supposedly made projectile weapons obsolete, but can't you just snipe someone before they react to activate their sheild?

checkmate, atreilures :smug:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s the motivation for Harkonnen guy encased in the wall with the hunter seeker? What’s his thought process? Either he was so devoted to the Harkonnen ideals of, being fat?, that he volunteered to buried alive with no food or water with no way to carve his way out so even if he succeeds he dies a horrible death. Or he was forced to do it in which case he still carries out his mission instead of just shouting for help so the Atreides will dig him out and he can sell out the Harkonnen’s.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

galagazombie posted:

What’s the motivation for Harkonnen guy encased in the wall with the hunter seeker? What’s his thought process? Either he was so devoted to the Harkonnen ideals of, being fat?, that he volunteered to buried alive with no food or water with no way to carve his way out so even if he succeeds he dies a horrible death. Or he was forced to do it in which case he still carries out his mission instead of just shouting for help so the Atreides will dig him out and he can sell out the Harkonnen’s.

What do you think happens to the families of the guys who say “nah” to suicide attack duty

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Deploy the hunter seeker, then we'll swoop back in and let you out, and you'll be promoted to the rank of Slave Pit Overseer!!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

What do you think happens to the families of the guys who say “nah” to suicide attack duty

They'd be... fine? No? Less than fine? Sub par? Give me a hint here

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sebmojo posted:

They'd be... fine? No? Less than fine? Sub par? Give me a hint here

The guy who refused would be executed, of course, but I'm sure someone on Geidi Prime would be happy to give his destitute family a hand. Or six.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

Do they form the hand spider?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

skasion posted:

Reproductive stumps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beefnubbins

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
everyone on Geidi Prime who isn't a House bigwig is a tyrannized slave. getting immured was probably preferable to the alternative.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

galagazombie posted:

the Harkonnen ideals of, being fat?,

Being bald

Hope feyd has a flowing mane in duncs tho

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think that one of the biggest weakness’s of the setting is the just absolute dismissal of the masses. Not in-story by the aristocracy, that makes sense, but by the story and author. The Harkonnen’s can just be so comically murderous to their own people and no one is ever mad enough to revolt or even just not be zealous in their devotion, and you can’t even use self-preservation or “they’ll kill my family” as an excuse because they’ll kill you and your family if you don’t revolt. But Dune mostly just treats people as robots who follow whatever inputs the nobles give them without question.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah its been decades since i read the book but i dont remember any kind of portrayal of normal rank-and-file harkonnens at all, let alone depictions of what life is like for regular people on geidi prime. if regular people even exist there?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

galagazombie posted:

I think that one of the biggest weakness’s of the setting is the just absolute dismissal of the masses. Not in-story by the aristocracy, that makes sense, but by the story and author. The Harkonnen’s can just be so comically murderous to their own people and no one is ever mad enough to revolt or even just not be zealous in their devotion, and you can’t even use self-preservation or “they’ll kill my family” as an excuse because they’ll kill you and your family if you don’t revolt. But Dune mostly just treats people as robots who follow whatever inputs the nobles give them without question.

North Korea

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
baron said i could have a go in his oil bath if i pushed this tiny flying thing through the atreides kid's wall

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
This is extremely reading between the lines but I always assumed the Harkonnen peasants lived pretty unremarkable lives, if a little shittier than under the Atreides. It always seemed like the closer to the Baron or na-Baron someone got the more likely they'd be swept up in plots within plots. This applies to spice production, so anybody on Arrakis was gonna have a hard time while Rabban the Baron squeezed them dry, but like whalers on Geidi Prime were paid fine and lived mercantile feudal existences.

If you were on the other side of the planet that is. If Feyd saw your daughter son and thought they'd make a good pleasure slave you'd be without recourse. I guess what I mean is that ol' Frank made a big deal in the book about the differences in leadership and how it made a military impact, but not really a day to day for laymen besides "ah ah the people loved the Old Duke." The Baron don't care as long as the spice flows, so there were probably some big ecological niches to fill out there on G1

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

galagazombie posted:

The Harkonnen’s can just be so comically murderous to their own people and no one is ever mad enough to revolt or even just not be zealous in their devotion, and you can’t even use self-preservation or “they’ll kill my family” as an excuse because they’ll kill you and your family if you don’t revolt.

I mean

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
baron said he'd let me ghost ride the ornithopter if i carpet bombed arrakeen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think frank was concerned about the fate of the mass of humanity in the abstract (that is, after all, basically the whole point of geod) but either didn't know how or wasn't interested in actually approaching the story from that perspective. Amusingly the "galactic middle class" emerges most clearly as a victimized force when late era frank went full complaining about the IRS mode and started ranting about how much they were being space taxed for space social security

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

I will not let this slip by unpraised

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pop culture gives us this image of the lower classes just meekly submitting to any and all inequities but that’s really not what happened historically. And things like “Prima Noctis” were pure fantasy made up in the modern era. The truth is that they were revolting near constantly or at least agitating for a bigger slice of the pie, and definitely not willing to become “suicide troops” en masse like the Harkonnens are. Now yes these revolts would fail 9 times out of 10, but they never stopped. And even if they didn’t succeed and install a new king or emperor, The cost of suppressing them was astronomical. You can’t demand the peasants give you their crops when you’ve had to kill all the peasants and burn all their crops after all. Aristocrats had to constantly thread the needle of keeping the common people happy because every tax increase or demand for service would be met with a “what’s in it for us?”. And while you can kill a non-compliant individual, killing all of them destroys your economy and tax base to the degree you might be too weak to fight off your rivals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

24/7 news report about how the Atreides want to outlaw YOUR heartplugs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

galagazombie posted:

Pop culture gives us this image of the lower classes just meekly submitting to any and all inequities but that’s really not what happened historically. And things like “Prima Noctis” were pure fantasy made up in the modern era. The truth is that they were revolting near constantly or at least agitating for a bigger slice of the pie, and definitely not willing to become “suicide troops” en masse like the Harkonnens are. Now yes these revolts would fail 9 times out of 10, but they never stopped. And even if they didn’t succeed and install a new king or emperor, The cost of suppressing them was astronomical. You can’t demand the peasants give you their crops when you’ve had to kill all the peasants and burn all their crops after all. Aristocrats had to constantly thread the needle of keeping the common people happy because every tax increase or demand for service would be met with a “what’s in it for us?”. And while you can kill a non-compliant individual, killing all of them destroys your economy and tax base to the degree you might be too weak to fight off your rivals.

who are the suicide troops?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

sebmojo posted:

who are the suicide troops?

When the Atreides arrived on Arrakis they mention the Harkonnen’s left a bunch of “Suicide Troops” behind to fight the Atreides and they’ll have to root them out. It’s misdirection by the Baron to make them not realize the scale of the trap. And they say “Suicide Troops” like it’s this proper noun like it’s just something militaries do.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Everybody gets an extra hour in the hand spider pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
The Baron actually goes into this in some detail in the novel, when he explains all about how a particular Harkonnen Captain is addicted to the drug music semuta, and how important it is to know a man's cravings and weaknesses and then be able to use them to control him. So the stick is only one facet of Harkonnen control, but they hide hooks in the carrot too.

It's one thing that I felt was really missing from both films' portrayal of the Harkonnens. Reducing them to bald brutes makes them a lot less interesting.